Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild wars, no monthly fee? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guild wars, no monthly fee?  (Read 24440 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #35 on: October 25, 2004, 06:46:29 PM

Quote from: MrHat
I'm there.

Schild, maybe set up a Bat Country - Guild Wars forum?

Sho' nuff. I'll do that tonight. I figure this game will get enough buzz.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 25, 2004, 11:47:33 PM

Quote from: geldonyetich
Oh, and that thing where you download a tiny (61 KB) installer and then the rest of the game streams from the internet is one of their selling points.   Broadband required? Yes.

out of curiosity, how much stuff does that 61kb installer download before you can actually play the game?

The reason I ask, is because I discovered recently that you can actually do a completely streamed install of City of Heroes (all 800+ megs of it) using nothing but the 672k updater executable (the interesting things you can learn when you somehow manage to lose your installation CD).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #37 on: October 26, 2004, 04:48:08 AM

Quote from: SurfD
The reason I ask, is because I discovered recently that you can actually do a completely streamed install of City of Heroes (all 800+ megs of it) using nothing but the 672k updater executable (the interesting things you can learn when you somehow manage to lose your installation CD).

Protip:  You can do this with all the MMOs (o.k. at least the ones I've played)  

They have ALL game files available on the patchers because they don't want you fiddling with and changing them.  Filechecks are done at startup and if a file is missing or different from the one on the server it'll be patched. So, as long as you have that patching executable you've got the game. They just don't want EVERYONE to do installs this way since that'd kill the patch servers, so it's not something that's advertised.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: October 26, 2004, 08:27:52 AM

I'm definitely down for some Bat Country-flavored ass whoopings. I'll be Haemish (SHOCK SURPRISE!).

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: October 26, 2004, 08:42:17 AM

Ill give it a try if my new mobo arrives in time. Come on Fedex pull your finger out!

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 26, 2004, 08:48:16 AM

Here's a link describing some of the aspects of gameplay in more detail.

Like what I've been reading about GW -- first chance to play wil be this weekend, then first weekend in Nov for first-weekend-of-the-month event -- which is likely to be less crowded than this weekend's event.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 26, 2004, 08:59:49 AM

Quote from: Merusk
Quote from: SurfD

Protip:  You can do this with all the MMOs (o.k. at least the ones I've played)  

They have ALL game files available on the patchers because they don't want you fiddling with and changing them.  Filechecks are done at startup and if a file is missing or different from the one on the server it'll be patched. So, as long as you have that patching executable you've got the game. They just don't want EVERYONE to do installs this way since that'd kill the patch servers, so it's not something that's advertised.

All true, but CoH also allow you to buy a key and download the 672k.

Again, it seems it's intentionally not well advertised.

EDIT: at least they do if your NC login is outside the US, not sure if they do inside the US.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #42 on: October 26, 2004, 09:51:51 AM

Quote from: Shannow
Ill give it a try if my new mobo arrives in time. Come on Fedex pull your finger out!

Check with the creators of Boong-Ga Boong-Ga... perhaps they'll add a FedEx man for your entertainment.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 26, 2004, 10:16:30 AM

Quote from: Signe

Check with the creators of Boong-Ga Boong-Ga... perhaps they'll add a FedEx man for your entertainment.

*Goes and reads Boong Ga thread*

I'd like my lunch back.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #44 on: October 26, 2004, 11:26:08 AM

Quote from: Signe

*Goes and reads Boong Ga thread*

I'd like my lunch back.

Why?  Did you forget your fake vasoline?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #45 on: October 26, 2004, 02:08:44 PM

Quote from: eldaec

EDIT: at least they do if your NC login is outside the US, not sure if they do inside the US.

Actually, anyone can do it.  They just didn't annouce it before the box was available so as not to undermine brick and mortar store sales.  I bought my key the minute it was available and just patched the beta version to live.  No box, no manual, no need.

I wish all mmorpg's would do this.

Rerail-will try to play some GW this weekend in between MTGO leagues.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #46 on: October 26, 2004, 05:02:06 PM

Quote from: eldaec

https://secure.plaync.com/cgi-bin/plaync_buy.pl">They do, although they're still charging $49.99 for it, which is a little silly.

I've been thinking about getting into CoH and was going to give it a shot, on the assumption that the download would be a little cheaper, what with no production costs and. . well. . yeah.  Anyway.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 26, 2004, 06:06:09 PM

Yep, I'll be there this weekend to cruise the scene.

Although you can only play a human (bleh), I'm always curious about something different.

The Warrior profession actually has a skill called "For Great Justice".

Um, never mind.
Belzac
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: October 27, 2004, 08:33:58 PM

During E3 I was a monk warrior.  I'm thinking about trying a monk mesmer.  Anybody try this combination ?  I hoping to steal mana so I will never run out while healing.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Guild wars, no monthly fee?  
Jump to: