Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:30:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Kick Ass 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kick Ass  (Read 7334 times)
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

on: April 21, 2008, 06:36:26 AM

I picked up Issues 1 and 2 of the new Millar/Romita Jr. book. It really is damn good. If you guys have a chance snatch these up. Fan-fucking-tastic read.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:31:09 AM

I've read them.  They're ok, but didn't seem like anything great to me.  Certainly not to the point where I would understand why the movie rights have already been bought up.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:30:52 PM

I thought what I read was pretty good. I enjoyed it the whole time I was reading it. The only thing I was iffy about was how he got back into it and how resilient he was when getting the beat down.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:38:52 AM

It's a decent book.  There was just a bizarre wave of hype for it after the first issue released.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 10:57:35 AM

What book is this? I haven't heard about it.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 12:53:09 PM

What book is this? I haven't heard about it.

Mark Millar and Romita JR.

The basic concept in Millar's own words:

It's about a sixteen year old kid who is so into comics that he just makes himself a costume, paints up a baseball bat and goes out looking for trouble. He decides to become our world's first superhero. On the face of it, it sounds ridiculous, but the notion of an ordinary, non-powered human being going out and trying to help people has been done in everything from the original Atom to Batman. In many ways, it's my favorite kind of superhero story because the potential for drama is enormous. This guy hasn't been injected with super-soldier serum or rocketed from a dying world. He just does 100 press-ups every night and maybe takes karate lessons and tries to eat healthily and so he's massively, massively vulnerable. It's really the most incredibly obvious idea and I'm amazed nobody has ever done this before, but the book just feels so unlike any superhero comic I've seen before. I don’t play it for laughs at all. It's too easy to take the piss out of something like this. I just play it absolutely straight and use this as a starting point in the story... imagine this kid going out there with his mask and his baseball bat. What would happen next? The obvious answer, of course, is incredible violence and that's where the fun begins. This book breaks down everything we love about superheroes and builds it all up again in a new way. We're very excited about it. Johnny and I both think we've stumbled onto something potentially enormous here.

It's decent stuff but not as groundbreaking or original as some people like to make it sound.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 09:35:27 PM

Oh, I thought you meant Frank Miller. After Civil War, I'm not too excited about anything Millar is involved with, but what's it called?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 09:41:32 PM

Oh, I thought you meant Frank Miller. After Civil War, I'm not too excited about anything Millar is involved with, but what's it called?

Kick-Ass.  The topic title wasn't just a result of Hammer Frenzy's enthusiasm for the book.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 09:42:13 PM

Ahhh, my bad.

HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 05:35:04 AM

I have been getting the whole, "this isn't that great" vibe from a lot of people about this book. I read the first couple issues again and I still dig it. Hopefully it goes somewhere. The only thing that is weird is that the book read like Wanted did, in the sense that it felt like it was a stepping stone to getting a movie made. I thought Wanted was fun, but that whole "I'm a book that is being considered for a movie before I have even finshed" thing always seems weird to me, and after Velorath mentioning that Movie deal with Kick Ass, I did notice that the book read a little like that.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 12:02:52 AM

Moriarty of Aint it Cool has a review up of the movie script.  He seems very enthusiastic, but again it seems to get undue praise for being groundbreaking.  Moriarty's claims that "no studio in town would know how to actually make this film while leaving it intact" leave me wondering if he missed out on Dark Knight and has completely avoided every bit of Watchmen movie news.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Kick Ass  
Jump to: