Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:30:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Age of conan, Open beta: May 1st 2008. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Age of conan, Open beta: May 1st 2008.  (Read 233383 times)
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #735 on: May 15, 2008, 08:54:51 AM

Interesting that a game hyped as a PVP game has 2x the number of PVE servers at launch.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #736 on: May 15, 2008, 09:04:09 AM

Interesting that a game hyped as a PVP game has 2x the number of PVE servers at launch.

Because PvP doesn't have to mean Open PvP.  Do you really think this game would survive if the server counts were the other way around?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #737 on: May 15, 2008, 09:12:39 AM

On the 48 x 48 topic:

This first one is referring to this.

Where Athelan  states clearly that the combat can go up to 500 people (i doubt it as this is their best number, in their best conditions) but actually you will only be able to see about a hundred people around you

a) I am not THE lead designer for Age of Conan, I am A designer for Age of Conan and one of the more senior ones, and was the designer originally responsible for the massive PvP design.

b) My answers are based on the discussions we had while I was in Norway and what our intentions were and what I knew of our technology, given that I operate on a 9 hour time difference now since moving back to the US and getting married I *gasp* could be outdated on my information.

The whole point of my even participating in this thread was to let you know that we certainly aren't trying to say one thing and do another. If I am wrong, then I am wrong, but I know that we did not want to put hardcaps into place in Massive PvP and if the decision was made to do so I am unaware of it, and from a design perspective as far as what I feel embodies PvP I don't really like it, but I know that its possible there were some issues in implementation that forced us to change things.

We never "cut" massive PvP. The implementation has been changed from the original design, how, I don't really know exactly. If you have never collaborated internationally on anything then I could never begin to explain to you how difficult it is to be on a 9 hour time difference. A 2 hour time difference impacted the production of SWG when I was working in QA for SOE, so much so that 16 people were sent from San Diego to work in Austin for 5 months on the game myself included. Again I repeat I have yet to hear about this 48vs48 thing. If that is the case then I am just as surprised as you but I am willing to understand the fact it probably happened for a reason and that I would rather see 48vs 48 as a last resort than not have massive PvP at all at launch.

Wait, they went from uncapped PvP to 48x48 in the space of 9 hours apparently out of the blue without discussing it with their 'combat guru'?

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #738 on: May 15, 2008, 09:20:17 AM

And twenty bucks says they rush to open more PVP servers within a week of launch.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #739 on: May 15, 2008, 10:03:44 AM

And twenty bucks says they rush to open more PVP servers within a week of launch.
Hahahha, I'm not betting but I don't think so.  The regular "PvE" servers have plenty of PvP, as soon as these kids find out just what FFA PvP really means those servers will have their populations gutted.  I am certain that your playstyle will personally result in dozens of people leaving and that you will take that as a compliment.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: May 15, 2008, 10:04:55 AM

There will be two American PvP servers left after eight months. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #741 on: May 15, 2008, 10:11:21 AM

There will be two servers left after eight months. 

Fixed.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #742 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:29 AM

Chart does seal the deal and make it fact.

You sir, have won this round!

I've never been a 'graveyard ganker' but that doesnt mean there won't be plenty of people who are. Its hard to predict server pops though, since this game is supposed to cater more towards the PVP why wouldnt PVP players naturally roll on PVP servers. Should be interesting anyways.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #743 on: May 15, 2008, 10:14:52 AM

Chart does seal the deal and make it fact.

You sir, have won this round!

It wasn't a serious chart, it was a lolchart.
schild
Administrator

Reply #744 on: May 15, 2008, 10:23:37 AM

Lolcharts can still be serious. If you wanted a straight up lolchart, you should've had server population go into the negatives and then back up once slayerik left.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #745 on: May 15, 2008, 10:30:41 AM

It was my first lolchart and I stand by it even if it isn't perfect!  I actually had to remember to draw the axis by hand, I had already used the line tool before I realized my error and erased them.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: May 15, 2008, 10:34:37 AM

All in all, everyone can agree that they should have based it on this film, not the other one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

Hic sunt dracones.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #747 on: May 15, 2008, 12:18:44 PM

Someone send me an invite for a free trial, once they are avaible. (1 month after launch ?)

I would like to know if my computer can handle it (doubtfull), but the official site does not tell me the system requirements.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: May 15, 2008, 12:23:56 PM

Here, let me help (click the preorder button to see this):

Minimum System requirements

* GFX: Shader 2.0 and 128MB ram, GeForce 6600
    * RAM: 1GB
    * CPU: 3 GHz, Pentium 4
    * Resolution: 1024x768

* Recommended Specs:
    * CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2,4 GHz or better
    * GFX: nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX  or higher
    * RAM: 2 GB

- Viin
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: May 15, 2008, 12:29:35 PM

Lol  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
schild
Administrator

Reply #750 on: May 15, 2008, 12:35:50 PM

Anyone getting the collector's edition can get you a 10 day trial key. I don't know if Euro is the same as America, but I imagine Falconeer will get one.
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #751 on: May 15, 2008, 12:55:01 PM

As of 19:00 GMT they took down the petition system, so you can't report bugs anymore.

Hasn't it pretty much ceased to be a beta?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 12:57:22 PM by FatuousTwat »

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #752 on: May 15, 2008, 02:42:48 PM

Here, let me help (click the preorder button to see this):

Minimum System requirements

* GFX: Shader 2.0 and 128MB ram, GeForce 6600
    * RAM: 1GB
    * CPU: 3 GHz, Pentium 4
    * Resolution: 1024x768

awesome, for real at running the game with those specs.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #753 on: May 15, 2008, 02:47:05 PM

You hit the hotkey, and then must perform the combo for it to fire.

The combo is displayed on-screen too, so theres no memorization cockstabbery involved.
Okay, then the defensive part where you decide which direction to protect isn't all that meaningful.

I was thinking that a system when you plan a combo and your enemy guesses it and counter-protect against it would be interesting. But it would be also so cumbersome that it wouldn't bring nowhere, and impossible in larger battles.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #754 on: May 15, 2008, 02:51:13 PM

Actually, if you spot the combo they're pulling off and have all 3 defense points on the final blow, it won't do fuckall damage.  So yes, the defense part does matter.

Also, DAOC was the best game. ever.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #755 on: May 15, 2008, 04:03:28 PM

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #756 on: May 15, 2008, 05:10:45 PM

That looks just like the momentary spells I'd been casting in various classes. What makes it "spellweaving" instead of just spellcasting? That buffs can affect spells?  Ohhhhh, I see.

As to the blocking thing, Nerf is correct: if you time it right, you can block shots. And the same is reverse too. NPCs will adjust their blocking based on the way you're attacking. It felt different in the melee sense from diku-standard autoattack+specials. And with the NPCs blocking thing, there's was another layer of realtime decision making beyond the usual insta-heal/debuff type.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #757 on: May 15, 2008, 05:19:09 PM

How do you change your shields anyways?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #758 on: May 15, 2008, 05:42:56 PM

Shields change with ctrl-#

You can cast spells while you are spellweaving.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #759 on: May 15, 2008, 07:40:48 PM

b) My answers are based on the discussions we had while I was in Norway and what our intentions were and what I knew of our technology, given that I operate on a 9 hour time difference now

The whole point of my even participating in this thread was to let you know that we certainly aren't trying to say one thing and do another. If I am wrong, then I am wrong, ...

If you have never collaborated internationally on anything then I could never begin to explain to you how difficult it is to be on a 9 hour time difference. A 2 hour time difference impacted the production of SWG when I was working in QA for SOE, so much so that 16 people were sent from San Diego to work in Austin for 5 months on the game myself included.

[/quote]

Jesus fuck.  "waah waah, its hard to make a game with people in other cities.  waah waah."  I'd love to use that excuse every time I've been kept out of the loop or fucked up my internal communications just because someone is in another time zone.  What else will they blame on this?  "Sorry about deleting your Windows directory, the lead programmer rang me to tell me to remove that code, but I was asleep."  Come work in Australia where we are 10+ hours from fucking everywhere.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #760 on: May 15, 2008, 10:05:05 PM

Just got a recorded phone call from Gamestop, said we can come in and pick up our preorder tomorrow. Still can't play till the 20th but it leaves plenty of time for patching  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: May 16, 2008, 05:25:25 AM

Just got a recorded phone call from Gamestop, said we can come in and pick up our preorder tomorrow. Still can't play till the 20th but it leaves plenty of time for patching  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I was about to report the same.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #762 on: May 16, 2008, 05:57:15 AM

Some people are reporting getting denied when they go the store because their screens still say the 20th so I would call first.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #763 on: May 16, 2008, 07:22:29 AM

Someone send me an invite for a free trial, once they are avaible. (1 month after launch ?)

I would like to know if my computer can handle it (doubtfull), but the official site does not tell me the system requirements.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I just got my game delivered, I didn't buy the CE but still got a seven day guest pass.  There is no key on the guest pass piece of paper, it tells you to go to the site to get it.  There is nowhere on the website to get a guest pass.

Funcom.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #764 on: May 16, 2008, 08:03:11 AM

As I drove into work today, there was a Saab on fire on the shoulder. The license plate was FUNCOM11.

Oops, my metaphor keyboard took over there for a second.

I have never played WoW.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #765 on: May 16, 2008, 08:15:32 AM

As I drove into work today, there was a Saab on fire on the shoulder. The license plate was FUNCOM11.

Shaka, when the walls fell.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: May 16, 2008, 08:30:54 AM

LMFAO.

Geek +50

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #767 on: May 16, 2008, 08:37:24 AM

Well played, geek. Well played.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #768 on: May 16, 2008, 08:53:18 AM

For once I think its a positive when I dont get it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #769 on: May 16, 2008, 08:59:47 AM

It was a TNG episode where the aliens only talked in metaphores.  "Shaka, when the walls fell" is about a great failure.

It was a really cool episode, so long as you didn't think about it.  Like...how do you teach the metaphores if you can't tell the stories behind them?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Age of conan, Open beta: May 1st 2008.  
Jump to: