Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:23:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Top 10 Geekiest Hobbies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Top 10 Geekiest Hobbies  (Read 18849 times)
WayAbvPar

on: October 22, 2004, 03:30:37 PM

I am pretty sure we cover all of these here in some for or another, except perhaps vampirism (those fuckers are extra weird). I bet we even have some closet scrapbookers here.  'Fess up, nerdsters!

Linkage

The comments are great-

Maybe because they’re ecstatic to find other people with the same debilitating social handicap as themselves

I have a passing familiarity with probably 4-5/10.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 03:57:07 PM

I only have 1 and it's collectibe card games, and only on the net. I stopped playing Magic back in high school for da' poon.

Of course, now I have the added bonus of:

"So do you have a website"
"why, yes, I do, it's about online games!"
"Riiiiight, so what do you do for a living?"
"I make computer games!"
"K, bye."
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 04:42:49 PM

I tried the internet dating thing recently. Match.com, to be specific.

I always struggle with the question of when it's appropriate to reveal certain ... truths.

Um, never mind.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 05:16:29 PM

2 out 10 -- I scored 10% on the "Geek Test" too. Yay me.

1) Comic Books. And that's only a recent interest. I picked up Preacher one day and got stoked about seeing what else was out there. Interest has since died down a bit. The last time I read comics though, I was like 11 or 12.

2) Everquest -- Well, I hate Everquest, but I'll include it because I like MMO's in general (actually, I hate those too. I think).

RPG's are pretty interesting. At least the literature is. I also tried to play Warhammer a few times with some people a while back. Problem is, not only are the guys who play them huge dorks, they're also the biggest assholes on the face of the earth. No thx, I'll pass.

I used to hang out with the goth crowd, and the whole "vampire" thing etc.. But seriously, it was only because of the chicks. They eventually figured that out and called me "estranged", heh.

LARP -- Well, I'm an actor. Believe me, that can be every bit as weird and stupid at times. Yet, I could never LARP. I'm not even comfortable rp'ing in online games.

Star Wars and Star Trek are not that great IMO. I'll choose Dune instead (does that make me a bigger geek?)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 05:53:29 PM

OMG. My only saving grace is that my....factor has dropped considerably since my early 90s fresh out of high school days.

Then: 80%

Now: 40% (if you count EQ as all MMOs)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 06:24:10 PM

I've noticed the roleplayers who game in public venues tend to be at the more extreme end of the spectrum. I'm pretty geekish myself, and enjoyed RPG's when I had the time, but they freak me out a little.

I did vampire based live roleplaying for long enough to explore it, which seems to overload the scale they have. Left when I realised the game implicitly encouraged elitism and a terrible game experience for new players... and they wonder why their group is so small.

Anime didn't make it on the list, I feel my geek credentials have been impugned.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Malderi
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 07:16:37 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty geeky, and gaming conventions and all are fine - but card game/D&D/Anime cons are a little much for me. My limits are far out there, but they are most certainly there.

This is a humorous signature.
Biobanger
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 07:31:36 PM

Yeah, I'm at 20% with EQ and Roleplaying. The problem is, is that I actually want to be a Trekkie or Star Wars super-fan, and maybe some card playing. All the others are either too expensive, or just generally ghey. But since I had a life before EQ and RP (which can be hidden unlike the others), I can't take up the challenge without advertising for a new group of friends and girlfriend. BUT! I can still envy those that do have the freedom.

Hmm, just realized that it's possible that I'm 30% solely based off the fact that I wish I could do those others.

Great, now I'm all sad and depressed. Off to play EQ and drown my sorrows in AA grinding.

Charlie says: Always tell your mommy before you go out somewhere.
Playing: WoW. Waiting on: Gods and Heroes, Guild Wars
esad
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 09:33:01 PM

Woot!!! Have zero of those hobbies!!

Guess, I'm getting laid tonight...or not...
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2004, 01:22:12 AM

Kicked my UO habit about 2 months ago, and Magic Online doesn't count as either EQ or trading card games IMO so I score a nice 0 too.

Plushies are funny. I don't know why exactly, but somehow someone who likes screwing stuffed toys makes me want to laugh, whereas furries just make me go "eeeewww".
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: October 23, 2004, 02:59:26 AM

Quote from: Calantus
Plushies are funny. I don't know why exactly, but somehow someone who likes screwing stuffed toys makes me want to laugh, whereas furries just make me go "eeeewww".

Funny?

Damn. I had no idea what "furries" and "plushies" meant before this, though I've heard some people around here use the word before. I guess there are worse fetishes, but it's shocking to me that there's actually enough people out there doing this for it to be even be deemed a "fetish".
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 04:06:16 AM

Furries are not the people who dress up as animals to have sex; those are fursuiters.  Furry is a more general term that encompasses both fursuiters and plushies, and generally means anyone who is attracted to or identifies with anthropomorphic animals.  While there is a strong sexualized element in much of the community, there are plenty of people who are furry fans, enjoying the comics, the cartoons, etc. who do not spend their time thinking how hot it would be to watch Chip and Dale double-team Gadget.

I'd also say that unlike a lot of other fetishers (like leather, S&M, etc.) most sexual furries do not require furrydom to be a part of their sexual routine.  Indeed, absent doing it in a fursuit, there's not a paraphenalia one can use to make the other person look more like an antropomorphic fox or whatever.  Partners can still pretend and fantasize, though, but otherwise seem perfectly capable of having "normal" sex like most people.

Bruce
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 05:15:39 AM

Selling spooge and urine stained/smelling stuffed animals to each other strikes me as more then just a bit weird.

Click on at your own risk

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 07:19:41 AM

Quote from: SirBruce
stuff

I didn't know plushies were also considered furries. I am undecided as to whether to thank you for enlightening me or not, since it's not really important information.

EDIT: A comment about the urine-smelling plushies... someone should do a study into people with multiple/combined fetishes. I may be the only one but I'd be curious to know if there is a connection between having one fetish and being more likely to have another, or even a specific other fetish. And whether that is influenced by how you came to have the first fetish (ie. environment, trauma, evolved, inborn).
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 23, 2004, 08:32:21 AM

I'd also say that unlike a lot of other fetishers (like leather, S&M, etc.) most sexual furries do not require furrydom to be a part of their sexual routine.  

S&M I understand.  Wife swapping I understand.  Orgies I understand.  Dressing up like chipmunks and dry humping each other?  I don't understand.

Pray that I never become absolute ruler, Bruce, because a cleansing rain will sweep down on you deviant motherfuckers.
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 23, 2004, 08:35:52 AM

*tickles Big Gulp's feet with a 12 inch purple dildo*

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #16 on: October 23, 2004, 02:43:22 PM

Ok folks, we're dipping WAYYYYYY too much into the descriptions of furrydom for me. Stop it. I realize it's related to the topic, but my fear-shrunken genitalia would thank you to shut the fuck up now.

Oh and I'm about 4/10 on that chart for my entire life.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 23, 2004, 03:15:40 PM

Quote from: Big Gulp

I'd also say that unlike a lot of other fetishers (like leather, S&M, etc.) most sexual furries do not require furrydom to be a part of their sexual routine.  

Pray that I never become absolute ruler, Bruce, because a cleansing rain will sweep down on you deviant motherfuckers.

BigGulp - you have a way with words lol.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 23, 2004, 04:28:19 PM

Am I the only one a little weirded out by how much knowledge of this furry stuff that SirBruce has? Am I the only one that finds themselves not all that surprised as well?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: October 23, 2004, 05:24:35 PM

Some people spend their Sundays watching football. I spend my Sundays playing D&D. It's social, creative, fun, and I get to spend quality time with my friends. Why, again, is that worse than being parked on the couch watching millionaire felons bash against each other?

Whatever you want to do, as long as you're not hurting anybody ... hey, if you enjoy it, do it. And everyone else and their prejudices can seriously just fuck off and die.

Um, never mind.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 23, 2004, 05:39:19 PM

Quote from: Ardent
Some people spend their Sundays watching football. I spend my Sundays playing D&D. It's social, creative, fun, and I get to spend quality time with my friends. Why, again, is that worse than being parked on the couch watching millionaire felons bash against each other?

Whatever you want to do, as long as you're not hurting anybody ... hey, if you enjoy it, do it. And everyone else and their prejudices can seriously just fuck off and die.

I agree Ardent. DnD is frowned on because of sleazy defense lawyers. That and your Joe Average American doesn't like past times that require you to use your brain.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: October 23, 2004, 09:50:30 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
Am I the only one a little weirded out by how much knowledge of this furry stuff that SirBruce has? Am I the only one that finds themselves not all that surprised as well?

The only reason you're somewhat surprised is you haven't been here long enough to have experienced previous threads on the topic. Bruce knows because he's a member of that community.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #22 on: October 23, 2004, 10:02:24 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe

I agree Ardent. DnD is frowned on because of sleazy defense lawyers. That and your Joe Average American doesn't like past times that require you to use your brain.

America, Fuck Ya!, lick my ass and suck on my balls.

God damn I love football.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #23 on: October 23, 2004, 10:51:10 PM

Because it's a bunch of guys throwing dice and pretending to be elves?  Really, I DnD'd some in college, and it's by far the geekiest, nerdiest thing I've ever done in my entire life (and I'm counting academic summer camps in this and being part of the school show choir in middle school).   But yah, it's fun (when guys can avoid trying to roleplay romance between characters) and a decent way to make the time fly by, so, have your hobby and have fun.  Just don't expect people not to consider it socially objectionable.  

I mean fuck.. elves man, elves.

Edit: No one take this too seriously. I mean shit, it's not LARPing.

-Rasix
Dark Vengeance
Delinquents

Reply #24 on: October 23, 2004, 11:42:41 PM

I personally find Seanbaby an annoying dipshit....one of the few gaming industry geeks that seriously fancies himself some sort of gaming rockstar rebel.

I'm 0-for-10 at the moment, and I hit 1 of 10 within the past decade, if you count EQ as all MMOGs. 2 of 10 within my lifetime with roleplaying games.

Although lifetime, I'm looking at 3 of 10 if thinking that good looking goth chicks are hotter than the sun make me guilty of vampirism.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 24, 2004, 12:31:52 AM

Quote from: Dark Vengeance
I personally find Seanbaby an annoying dipshit....one of the few gaming industry geeks that seriously fancies himself some sort of gaming rockstar rebel.

I'm 0-for-10 at the moment, and I hit 1 of 10 within the past decade, if you count EQ as all MMOGs. 2 of 10 within my lifetime with roleplaying games.

Although lifetime, I'm looking at 3 of 10 if thinking that good looking goth chicks are hotter than the sun make me guilty of vampirism.

Bring the noise.
Cheers..............

Oh, come on.  His Superfriends page hilarious.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: October 24, 2004, 12:39:11 AM

Quote from: Rasix
I mean fuck.. elves man, elves.

My DM hates elves. If you try to play an elf in his campaign, you will die. Horribly. And so will the rest of the party, for daring to consort with elves.

Um, never mind.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: October 24, 2004, 12:42:19 AM

Actually, I think it's pretty cool. And you're right. It is more productive than sitting around watching sports. If I met some cool people who played, I could probably spend a Sunday doing it too (LARP'ing is still out of the question though).

Problem is (and I know this is only my experience), the people I've met who play them are all geeks. And in general, I find geeks to be the most mean, argumentative, judgemental, and self-absorbed type of people around. If not that, then they are at the very least, dirty.

The only funny thing about all that is that they take pride in it.

RPG's will always be tied to that "culture" though (or whatever it is). At least with video games or comic books, as geekish as they are, I don't necessarily have to deal with these people to appreciate those things. At least not face to face.
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: October 24, 2004, 12:57:46 AM

Quote from: stray
I find geeks to be the most mean, argumentative, judgemental, and self-absorbed type of people around. If not that, then they are at the very least, dirty.

You've never dated a catholic schoolgirl cheerleader have you? Oh, you didn't mean that kind of dirty. Well, they still make geeks look like humble concentrate in comparison.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 24, 2004, 01:40:33 AM

Problem is (and I know this is only my experience), the people I've met who play them are all geeks. And in general, I find geeks to be the most mean, argumentative, judgemental, and self-absorbed type of people around. If not that, then they are at the very least, dirty.

Heh, I played them growing up and the guys I played them with in high school were kinda geeks (I was a jock/nerd type) but we were VERYFUCKING NORMAL compared to the people I met who played them in college.  I grew up in a small town and when I tried to find a game in city, I couldn't believe the geekyness I encountered.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #30 on: October 24, 2004, 03:24:40 AM

Don't try to get into an RPG with people you don't previously know and like from other contexts.  It's guaranteed to suck.  RPGs are incredibly fun only if you can find a good group of people to play with.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
esad
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 24, 2004, 09:11:19 PM

Why, again, is that worse than being parked on the couch watching millionaire felons bash against each other?

Simple answer:

Chicks understand brainless jocks watching football. It's an acceptable male activity that re-affrims manlyness (In girls minds at least)

CHICKS THINK GUYS WHO PRETEND TO BE ELVES AND DWARFS ARE LOOSERS!!!!!

Yes, it's a generalzation, but if you don't believe me post two personal ads; one with "Likes to watch sports" as a hobby and the other one with "Likes to play DnD!" and see which one gets any kind of repsonse.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 24, 2004, 10:22:51 PM

Quote from: esad
Why, again, is that worse than being parked on the couch watching millionaire felons bash against each other?

Simple answer:

Chicks understand brainless jocks watching football. It's an acceptable male activity that re-affrims manlyness (In girls minds at least)

Yes, it's a generalzation, but if you don't believe me post two personal ads; one with "Likes to watch sports" as a hobby and the other one with "Likes to play DnD!" and see which one gets any kind of repsonse.

The real reason is it's easy to make sweeping generalisations and fix stereotypes into the minds of the populous. For all the normal, well adjusted RPG gamers there's the flaming weirdos who hardly wash, wear shirts that are way, way too tight for a man without a six-pack (seriously, wtf is with that?), and love to play female elves, and I mean ONLY female elves. You can meet well-adjusted people everywhere, doing everything, but it's very rare to find a grown man who acts like a female elf all the time OUTSIDE of RPGs. One sticks in the mind, the other doesn't. Unfortunately for RPGs it's not the former.

It's also like videogames. Ten years ago it was geeky, now look at it. If everyone started getting into RPGs the stereotype would go away as the weirdos fade into the crowd. As it stands, female-elf-man sticks out too easily.
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 24, 2004, 10:56:17 PM

Quote from: esad

I play DnD.

I have sex with women.

The real losers are idiots who spell "losers" with 2 "o"s.

Um, never mind.
plangent
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: October 25, 2004, 12:13:36 AM

I'd like to step in and recommend anime cons to anyone who has the opportunity to attend them.  Here is one reason.  This is another.  Nyah!

Homo sum.  Humani nil a me alienum puto.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Top 10 Geekiest Hobbies  
Jump to: