Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:42:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EVE client source leaked 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EVE client source leaked  (Read 10946 times)
bhodi

No lie.

on: April 12, 2008, 06:00:44 AM

Yep. It's about 2 megs. I'm not going to post download links, obviously.

I will say this: Do not download the torrent. EVE has people seeding on there and will map IPs and ban your character if you do.

Here's the (possibly legit, who knows) chatlog from the torrent description:

History:

[20:16] <Abuser> So. Talking with Arkanon wasn\'t fruitful.
[20:17] <[IA]Morpheus> Not quite, what are you trying to achieve?
[20:17] <Abuser> Make CCP confirm some things they are refusing to confirm ...
[20:18] <Abuser> Make intelligent approach to fixing bugs and perfomance issues instead of messing with game balance
[20:18] <Abuser> at least
[20:18] <[IA]Morpheus> You have no idea how we even work, theres 350 employees working at CCP and you don\'t know the slightest about our processes.
[20:18] <Abuser> I don\'t know HOW you work
[20:19] <Abuser> i see the RESULT of this work
[20:19] <Abuser> and UNDERPANTS of it
[20:19] <Abuser> I have enough experience researching MMO\'s
[20:19] <Abuser> eve isn\'t first
[20:19] <Abuser> and won\'t be last
[20:20] <Abuser> so if you want to tell i don\'t have the understanding of CCP infrastructure related to eve - you are somewhat wrong
[20:20] <Abuser> but question isn\'t about this
[20:20] <Abuser> from what i know previous sourcecode leak
[20:20] <Abuser> was couple years ago
[20:20] <Abuser> and from what i see, nothing changes in terms of quality
[20:21] <Abuser> neither things, allowing people to exploit eve (for botting) - were fixed
[20:21] <Abuser> is that how 350 people (i doubt if at least 1/5 - 1/7 of them are programmers)
[20:22] <Abuser> work?
[20:22] <Abuser> Customers without in-depth knowledge will not notice this
[20:22] <Abuser> but what if somebody will explain the situation for them?
[20:23] <Abuser> or you consider USD14.95 people pay you every month aren\'t enough to be fair with them?
[20:26] <[IA]Morpheus> This is the wrong way to go about things and will not lead to a revolution in how CCP does things internally.
[20:26] <[IA]Morpheus> Sorry if thats what you were after.
[20:26] <Abuser> I\'m not looking for revolution
[20:27] <Abuser> Do you know such term as \"Proof of Concept\"?
[20:27] <Abuser> It\'s only enough it to get into hands of people who consider themselves to be programmers
[20:28] <Abuser> Currently eve don\'t have any clientside (and i\'m 100% no serverside, except logs) routines to detect bots
[20:28] <Abuser> Even stupid ones, using OCR and called Macroses
[20:28] <Abuser>
[20:29] <Abuser> Won\'t the wave of intelligent bots make CCP work at least in the direction of securing the engine?
[20:29] <Abuser>
[20:29] <[IA]Morpheus> Of course it will, that\'s obvious.
[20:29] <Abuser> Nice
[20:29] <Abuser> that\'s at least part of the plan
[20:29] <[IA]Morpheus> If thats what you want to achieve then congratulations, we are always working on improving security and plugging holes. If you want to help with that, try a normal approach like say sending us an email with suggestions.
[20:30] <Abuser> No, you are lying
[20:30] <Abuser> Security wasn\'t improved since last theft
[20:30] <Abuser> except some CryptoAPI and zlib
[20:30] <Abuser> so don\'t try to fool me
[20:31] <[IA]Morpheus> Security is always being worked on, I trust you know programming takes a lot of time and effort.
[20:31] <[IA]Morpheus> You say we have no ways to detect bots, yet we continue to ban thousands of exploiters who sell ISK and so forth.
[20:32] <Abuser> And that\'s all?
[20:32] <Abuser> And what if people start using some hypothetic people2people trading service
[20:33] <Abuser> that will avoid of using sellers who are constantly monitored via logs?
[20:33] <Abuser> so there will be signle and not interconnecting trades
[20:33] <[IA]Morpheus> Then we\'ll pick up on that and fix it..?
[20:33] <Abuser> that\'s how Blizzard can\'t do anything with such theme
[20:33] <Abuser> don\'t think you will manage
[20:33] <Abuser> they are losing more than you
[20:33] <Abuser> Why not to add client-side routines to detect bots?
[20:34] <Abuser> Why using petitions?
[20:34] <Abuser> People can lie, people can put a bucket of dirt on player who never violated eula
[20:35] <Abuser> And he will be banned, if petition will contain only right details describing the things you will never log, but that are surely be bot\'s actions
[20:36] <Abuser> EVE Clientside is enough to put bot-detecting routines there
[20:36] <Abuser> you can even use
[20:36] <Abuser> your spyware approach
[20:36] <Abuser> similar to when downloading PC identification python object during authentication as payload
[20:37] <[IA]Morpheus> Let it all out, I\'ll be sure to forward the conversation to all of our programmers, if thats what you want.
[20:37] <Abuser> No, your programmers are just following the plan
[20:37] <Abuser> they aren\'t that bad guys who caused all this anarchy
[20:37] <[IA]Morpheus> Care to tell me who did?
[20:38] <Abuser> Those who plan eve development and/or who decide the priority of client upgrades to be implemented.
[20:39] <Abuser> Currently Shiny Features have more priority than solidifying security and fixing bugs, from what i see
[20:40] <Abuser> Or how else you can explain the ability for the bots to use same approach to exploit eve engine as when previous sourcecode leak was?
[20:41] <Abuser> Nothing changed to prevent this?
[20:41] <Abuser> But we\'ve got tons of content patched
[20:41] <Abuser> but still lagging jita and deadly lagging blobs
[20:41] <Abuser> but from patchnotes i see that these things aren\'t your priority
[20:42] <[IA]Morpheus> I see that your intentions are good but this isn\'t playing out nicely for either parts.
[20:43] <Abuser> Guys, theres no other way that will play better.
[20:43] <Abuser> You simply ignore community requests to fix the core of eve, rather than add new coats to it, to make community forget about the bugs.
[20:43] <[IA]Morpheus> I despise bots and hacks over everything, but this is also a business, we\'ve got developers designing content and EVE needs to grow. I know for a fact that there are programmers working on security, more than that I can\'t really say.
[20:43] <[IA]Morpheus> If you think we are releasing new content to make you forget about bugs then I\'m not sure what I can say to convince you.
[20:44] <[IA]Morpheus> Patches have always been 50% bug fixes 50% content or so.
[20:44] <Abuser> Could you certainly say me what your programmers did to secure clientside from exploiting Eve?
[20:44] <Abuser> what\'s certainly
[20:45] <Abuser> I don\'t have anything against content makers - their ideas are good, really good
[20:45] <Abuser> I have full eve sourcecode, so you know what\'s did, and what\'s not
[20:46] <Abuser> From all security i saw - were ROLE permissions for logins with priviliges higher than usual player, and some minor things in relation to prevent some remote service calls (some with potentially bad payload)
[20:46] <Abuser> nothing else
[20:47] <Abuser> is that called \"programmers working on security\"?
[20:47] <[IA]Morpheus> Are you cruising for a job or something?
[20:47] <Abuser> Nah
[20:47] <Abuser> neither job, neither anything else
[20:47] <Abuser> you may think of in such direction
[20:48] <Abuser> Digging the situation to uncover the truth
[20:49] <Abuser> You may compare me to fox mulder from x-files series
[20:49] <Abuser> it\'s the best description of why i do this
[20:49] <[IA]Morpheus> Ah, well, nice to meet you Mr Mulder.
[20:50] <Abuser> So... would you like to answer what AWESOME ccp programmers did in relation to client/server security (at least for client?)
[20:51] <[IA]Morpheus> No, we won\'t respond to blackmail. If you think we don\'t care or aren\'t working on improving security you are sadly mistaken.
[20:51] <Abuser> IA
[20:51] <Abuser> did you saw the code yourself?
[20:51] <[IA]Morpheus> Yeah, and?
[20:51] <Abuser> or you are just telling me someone else\'s words?
[20:52] <[IA]Morpheus> Nop, I\'m all alone.
[20:52] <Abuser> And where do you see security fixes or bot catching routines in client?
[20:52] <[IA]Morpheus> I wouldn\'t know, I\'m not a programmer.
[20:52] <Abuser> YAY
[20:52] <[IA]Morpheus> If you think we are gonna tell you everything we\'ve done or are going to do then I\'ve got a bridge to sell you.
[20:53] <Abuser> so how you can tell if there are security pathces?
[20:53] <Abuser> Morpheus, i have a client sourcecode
[20:53] <Abuser> and have a people who can supply me with updates
[20:53] <Abuser> of each new version
[20:54] <Abuser> (where my python decompiler won\'t be able to handle optimized bytecode)
[20:54] <[IA]Morpheus> There\'s probably more to it than meets the eye, Fox Mulder.
[20:54] <Abuser> so in relation to client i have the same about of knowledge as you
[20:55] <Abuser> So you insist that security patches are applied to client and client is secure and non-exploitable?
[20:55] <Abuser> Maybe i should release a small hack with portion of eve sourcecode to eve forums that will exploit something?
[20:55] <Abuser> or you will continue to talk that everything is fine?
[20:56] <[IA]Morpheus> Heh, I\'m not saying there aren\'t exploits, don\'t be naive..
[20:56] <Abuser> o
[20:56] <Abuser> there\'s 1 big exploit )
[20:56] <[IA]Morpheus> There are and probably will always be, however we will continue to work against them. What else do you want?
[20:56] <Abuser> and tons of small ones
[20:56] <Abuser> not the ones requiring people to do queue of actions ingame to achieve the result
[20:57] <[IA]Morpheus> And you want this fixed?
[20:57] <Abuser> i\'m talking about the ones, that are coming to light when you are exploiting eve python engine (oh god they said me it\'s impossible)
[20:57] <Abuser> Easiest way was to start using c++ and completely rewrite the code some time ago
[20:57] <Abuser> but i assume it\'s too late
[20:58] <Abuser> so you will not get rid of python injections
[20:58] <[IA]Morpheus> Time will tell, I suppose.
[20:58] <Abuser> but you can think of coding anti-bot routines
[20:58] <Abuser> I wonder if your programmers and qa know at least 1/20 of they ways possible to use to inject the code
[20:59] <Abuser> starting from most stupid approach
[20:59] <Abuser> and ending with ring0 injector
[20:59] <Abuser> trust me
[21:00] <Abuser> you can try
[21:00] <Abuser> ugh
[21:00] <Abuser> you COULD try
[21:00] <Abuser> but nothing was done in this direction for years
[21:00] <Abuser> i know people who are safely botting (first with ocr, then on python code bots) from early years of eve
[21:01] <Abuser> and they also agree nothing was changed in terms to stop or make the bots function wrong
[21:02] <[IA]Morpheus> You know, if you want that to stop you should let us know exactly how those bots function instead of threatening to leak source code.
[21:02] <Abuser> only if i will have public guarantess and confirmation that certain list of things will be fixed
[21:03] <Abuser> confirmation on each exploit
[21:03] <Abuser> otherways - there\'s no sense
[21:03] <Abuser> i\'m not only want to see these things fixes
[21:04] <Abuser> it also requires CCP to confirm that these bugs existed (and exist) over years
[21:04] <Abuser> you understand what i mean
[21:05] <Abuser> i\'m thinking of some patching for trinity graphic engine
[21:05] <Abuser> to show that it\'s possible to make client show much more fps
[21:06] <Abuser> at least in space, during large fights
[21:06] <Abuser> (and that\'s one more stone to the window of your programmers, who must be forgot of such thing as level of details)
[21:07] <Abuser> there are many things - some interesting constants, that should be controlled by server, but they are not; ability to faster change sessions, unloading unnecessary services in runtime when they are not required
[21:08] <Abuser> truth on some strange session roles like viplogin
[21:08] <Abuser> 10 megabytes of code are enough to find a lot of things that should be there
[21:10] <Abuser> *should not
[21:11] <Abuser> And How these bots are functioning?
[21:12] <Abuser> Executing python code inside of eve python interpreter
[21:12] <Abuser>
[21:12] <Abuser> Or calling python api (these are less intelligent ones) to call objects, methods from eve python
[21:14] <Abuser> Untile eve uses python, there\'s no way to prevent these bots from using it too
[21:14] <Abuser> Untile=>*While
[21:15] <Abuser> It\'s possible to catch them, but not prevent from appearing and being more and more intelligent.
[21:15] <Abuser> In near perspective, other people who also have eve sourcecode (not from me) - will be able to release the bot that will be able to keep in control every single in-game activity usual player can do ingame.
[21:16] <Abuser> So only way (if you are not going to stop using python) - is to implement a bot catching routines on clientside
[21:22] <[IA]Morpheus> Well, thanks for all the advice.
[21:23] <Abuser> so
[21:23] <Abuser> i assume there will be no public excuse and to do list of bugs to fix from CCP?
[21:27] <[IA]Morpheus> Not quite, however, we are prepared to talk if you want your EVE Accounts reopened. This would also be a chance for you to give and receive feedback on the horrible bugs and exploits you know about.
[21:27] <Abuser> I\'m not interested in my eve accounts
[21:27] <Abuser> The ones you closed
[21:27] <Abuser> weren\'t involved in testing
[21:27] <[IA]Morpheus> Then we have nothing more to discuss, thank you for your time and have a good day.
[21:32] <Abuser> It\'s was nice you agreed to talk with me.
[21:32] <Abuser> Personal thanks for your patience, Morpheus.
[21:32] <Abuser> Have a good day.
[21:32] <[IA]Morpheus> Sure thing. Farewell.

<[IA]Morpheus> Hi, give me a few minutes to reply to your mail.
<Abuser> Sure
<[IA]Morpheus> Do you have a list of bugs and exploits, the ones that you want us to fix?
<Abuser> 1. List of exploitable clientside things.
<Abuser> 2. Description of ways to exploit python engine (with examples)
<Abuser> 3. Ways to detect the bot(-s)
<Abuser> but
<Abuser> only in case terms i listed during our last discussion yesterday
<Abuser> *case of accepting
<[IA]Morpheus> Can you list them again please so I can run this by some people?
<Abuser> 1. List of places in clientside code that allows to code small client-side hacks.
<Abuser> 2. Descriptions of the ways to intrude in EVE python engine and execute arbitary code there
<Abuser> 3. Ways to detect existing bot(-s) (at least know 1 serious enough)
<Abuser> 4. General ideas to improve EULA.
<Abuser> Only when:
<Abuser> 1. CCP published press release with:
<Abuser> a) confirmation of some bugs/holes existed for years
<Abuser> or
<Abuser> b) publishes in-depth reports on these bugs, and reports on what fixes were made for them
<Abuser> 2. CCP starts work in direction of serverside+clienside bot detection routines, also with public press releases (less detailed ofc)
<Abuser> That\'s all.
<[IA]Morpheus> Alright, give me a few please.
<Abuser> Sure.
<[IA]Morpheus> Going to forward this to someone who can make a decision.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 06:02:58 AM by bhodi »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:38:39 AM

OK so, this is similar to the leak from about two years ago.

the tl;dr "interesting stuff"

* The code is not complete, it's missing libraries, such as direct UI access and networking, so you can't create a standalone client
* The awful client->server multimegabyte data dump is confirmed
* There is some partial new unused code where they are working to re-write the above code
* Python Injection has suddenly become a whole lot easier.
* This will greatly help bot creators, but not a whole lot of others.
* Pointing out flaws in their code will simply get you banned, probably. Most of the lag / issues are server-side anyway. Math errors or other oddities may be discovered.
* People are learning how specific neat things work, such as where it pulls billboard gifs from, and can now insert their own client side ones with host file hacks
* This does not make anything possible that was not already possible.
* It will likely draw CCP ire and resources away from game enhancements to combat anything that comes out of this leak
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 06:46:42 AM

I know jack and shit about anything more in depth than basic computer operation, but this seems to me a fine time to work with some people and fix your shit. If someone likes your game but hates your coding enough that they tear it up and then show it to you, ya might take a break and reexamine things. Seems super cool that the guy is trying to have a conversation with them about it instead of posting and laughing.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 06:55:00 AM

"Abuser" is a thief and an extortionist. Hardly someone to be admired.

And the whole Doctor Twister routine is just so last century.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 07:50:58 AM

I know jack and shit about anything more in depth than basic computer operation, but this seems to me a fine time to work with some people and fix your shit. If someone likes your game but hates your coding enough that they tear it up and then show it to you, ya might take a break and reexamine things. Seems super cool that the guy is trying to have a conversation with them about it instead of posting and laughing.

Eh?  "Abuser" is an ass.  He's not mentioning specifics, he's gesticulating wildly as though he has the TRUTH and CCP are idiots.  His macro argument sounds like he's admonishing CCP for not snooping peoples running applications for potential threats.  He's clueless if he thinks Jita lag or any other blob lag is majorly influenced by client side mechanics and sure, injecting random code into the python stack is a serious issue but it's an issue of some other malicious user trying to attack your machine not CCP (simple sanity checks server side would catch any attack from that vector).

His 'conditions' for supposedly helping CCP realize the shortfalls of the client side code amount to electronic terrorism.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 08:56:19 AM

So if CCP knows who this jerk is, why don't they sue him into oblivion? The code's already out so there's not much more to hide beyond the embarrassment, also now public.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 09:00:51 AM

Yaaaay, even MORE market bots!

Don't see myself resubbing again...
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:07:00 AM

The description of login roles - which seems to not just go unchallenged but actually receive tacit acknowledgement from Morpheus - and in particular the VIPlogin role sounds interesting to me.  If it transpired that certain players had access to this, perhaps for historical reasons, then CCP would be in even more trouble than over the last couple of cheating revelations.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Akkori
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 02:29:34 PM

Another clueless-about-programming guy here, and from this side of cluelessness, it looks like Abuser is trying to help, in his own way. I personally would not have demanded that CCP go public with anything though. That would only make matters worse and educate simple users to problems they didn't know even existed. Instead, I would have "demanded" CCP fix a short list of problems, with patch notes for the masses. If he has access to updated code, he could easily see if the fixes were real.

Could it be that one day we might see an Eve game not coded in Python? Or is python an okay language, just poorly used?

I love the position : "You're not right until I can prove you wrong!"
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 04:55:43 PM

Downloading this. Haven't played in a long time, but am still interested to take a look at this piece of shit. Considering the grief the game gave me in the past.

--edit:
What's it with CCP and women names for various components? There's Jessica, Michelle and Beyonce, which I've spotted on a first quick glance.

And the files are actually decompiled files from the compiled.code (or whatever) file in EVE. What's the big deal here?

Could it be that one day we might see an Eve game not coded in Python? Or is python an okay language, just poorly used?
Python on the client side is more or less OK. It's a scripting language, because of that, it isn't the fastest. It's compiled to bytecode though, to ditch the line parsing overhead. That's however about it. Stackless doesn't do JIT, as in compiling the bytecode to actual machine code that can be executed directly and obviously fast. And even then, Python is so high-level, the compiled/JIT'd code would spend more time calling into the runtime than doing actual work.

But since the client doesn't really do heavy lifting in regards to processing the game world, it doesn't matter that much.

What's however funny is that the server side also heavily employs Python. For something that has to deal with blobs as they are known now, you'd prefer something in native code. Whether it's written in something that compiles down to it, like C or whatever, or something like Java or .NET, which are JIT'd to relatively efficient native code.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 05:13:37 PM by TripleDES »

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 05:24:30 PM

All I can say to that is nice avatar.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 11:07:43 PM

What's interesting to me is that they actually setup their own torrent client to seed the source code and used it to collect all the IPs that downloaded it. Then they match those to their players and ban the matches. Can they even do that legally (EULA)? If they can, then it's just a small step from that to check who talks on the forums about it and ban those people as well (which would naturally require manual labor).

How many MMOs (or even games in general) have ever leaked their source code? Some players with a grudge have taken the meta game so far as to infiltrate CCP as employees?
Stephen Zepp
Developers

InstantAction

Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 12:07:52 AM

What's interesting to me is that they actually setup their own torrent client to seed the source code and used it to collect all the IPs that downloaded it. Then they match those to their players and ban the matches. Can they even do that legally (EULA)? If they can, then it's just a small step from that to check who talks on the forums about it and ban those people as well (which would naturally require manual labor).

How many MMOs (or even games in general) have ever leaked their source code? Some players with a grudge have taken the meta game so far as to infiltrate CCP as employees?

If someone leaves their TV in their yard, and you go steal it, it's still stealing. It's also idiocy on their part, but if they catch you on video and can prove it's you, you're still caught.

Rumors of War
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 01:49:11 AM

The proving part might prove difficult. There's this thing called DHCP and dynamic IP addresses. Anyone from my ISP might download it and I could get their IP tomorrow and get banned for doing nothing.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 02:44:43 AM

There's also the minor detail that it's up all over the place on Rapidshare, Megashare, etc.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Edit: Friendly tip - DO NOT USE THE IN-GAME BROWSER. At least, not until CCP closes some of the gaping security holes in it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 05:44:41 AM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 07:19:44 AM

The proving part might prove difficult. There's this thing called DHCP and dynamic IP addresses. Anyone from my ISP might download it and I could get their IP tomorrow and get banned for doing nothing.
CCP knows exactly what they are doing; ISPs will happily match an IP+Time to a name upon request.
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 13, 2008, 09:33:47 AM

This is a disassembly of the developer builds the bug hunters get to play around with.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 07:45:29 AM

This reads like conversation between a overly hyper user who's world is Eve online, and an employee that is in, and knows the reality of the business and is in the real world.

Translation: Crap.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Jayce
Terracotta Army

Diluted Fool

Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 10:46:47 AM

I tend to agree with Bloodworth.  There's probably a reason this guy stalks the source code of games he happens to play instead of being gainfully employed by a developer of said games.

All that viva la revolución crap might be justified if your family is starving, but for a pastime?  A hobby?  Come on.

Witty banter not included.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 04:13:07 PM

If someone leaves their TV in their yard, and you go steal it, it's still stealing. It's also idiocy on their part, but if they catch you on video and can prove it's you, you're still caught.

So then what do they do about those customers in countries that DON'T recognize IP?   No theft has occurred under their laws, they were 'unjustifiably' banned.  Or have those Euros that were lax/ ignoring IP been brought-around with the move to the EU?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 07:37:54 PM

[20:49] <Abuser> You may compare me to fox mulder from x-files series
[20:49] <Abuser> it\'s the best description of why i do this
[20:49] <[IA]Morpheus> Ah, well, nice to meet you Mr Mulder.
Mulder and Morpheus, crossover of the century. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I envy the patience of CCP guy though, personally would be too tempted to end conversation with "lol, what" about 1/3rd into it.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 06:06:25 AM

I don't get this legality discussion. CCP doesn't have to take your money to let you play. They can deny you their service whenever they like. The most you could hope for would be getting back the money you already paid in monthly fees. After a lawsuit. Good luck trying that in a country that doesn't recognize IP either...
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 10:03:47 AM

Lol, anyone sophisticated enough to use the source code wouldn't get caught by their IP. Simply using peerguardian would prevent that. Not to mention you should probably be torrenting via a proxy anyway.

lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 11:47:24 AM

They didn't ban anyone, the whole CCP is monitoring the trackers and banning people thing was a myth.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 12:02:19 PM by lac »
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 11:56:25 AM

They didn't ban anyone, the whole CCP is monitoring the trackers and banning people was a myth.

You are clearly a CCP employed provocateur attempting to trick us into getting our accounts banned.
lac
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 12:03:03 PM

No just a regular griefer trying to get you banned Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 01:15:28 PM

reported by CCP Wrangler | 2008.04.22 13:35:48 | NEW
This Tuesday, 29 April, we’re going to test the new networking layer which we plan to deploy on Tranquility very soon. The test will help us make sure the networking layer is stable in itself and stable enough to deploy to Tranquility. All you have to do to help us with this test is to log in to Singularity at 18.30 GMT and remain logged in until 21.00 GMT, for this test to be successful we require approximately 150 to 200 of you to help us. Information about the Singularity test server and how to connect to it can be found in this link collection thread. During the test we will use the channel "sisitest" to give you information and updates on the testing, so please make sure you join it.

Looks like all that random new code in the client wasn't just for show. Let's hope some of their TCP offloading stuff works.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: EVE client source leaked  
Jump to: