Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:42:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Any worthwhile FREE MMOs? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any worthwhile FREE MMOs?  (Read 21435 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

on: March 26, 2008, 03:59:32 PM

I've been getting bored recently and would love to pick up an old MMO, but I can't afford the monthly fees right now (Starving college student and all). So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a free MMO that's actually good. I went looking and only came up on some crappy Korean ones. Of course I found this gem while searching:

That's a fucking panda man riding a giant hawk. DRILLING AND MANLINESS
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:10:40 PM

He isn't just riding it! He's surfing it. No reins!

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:16:23 PM

« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 02:10:25 AM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:32:22 PM

I can't make out what's going on in that picture.  Too ... much ... bloom!  That's worse than a Barbara Walters interview.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:10:09 PM

Shadowbane is 100% free and they are about to re-set whole world, giving everyone fresh start. It is guild PvP mmorpg, so soloist get shat on.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:31:15 PM

There are literally hundreds of pirate lineage 2 servers, generally with slightly (or drasticly) increased XP/money/etc gains so instead of an awful, soul crushing grind, it can actually be fun.  They don't always have the super new shit on the official site, but it's pretty damn good for free, always lots of pee vee pee too.

I'd reccomend a class here, but they're all really fun and for the most part useful in PvP, so it's all just personal choice.  I will say that it's a damn good idea to make 3 or 4 characters at once and level them up simultaneously for uber buffs that make you unstoppable in pvp.

Hawkeye (Archer)
Swordsinger (gets a song that doubles crit rate)
Bladedancer (Gets a dance that doubles crit damage)
Prophet (buffs everything else, including another crit buff, and another damage buff)

With that setup you crit 50-75% of the time and can drop anyone except tanks in a couple shots.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:52 PM

Hi Nerf.

What just happened?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:27:30 PM

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 10:38:05 PM

Absolutely, Samwise. Abso-fucking-lutely.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 04:28:11 AM

HIGHWAY,

TO

THE

DAAAANGERZOOONNNNNEEEE!

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 06:16:16 AM

I'll put in my usual, I think Sword of the New World/Grenado Espada comes out ahead of almost anything else in the free to play non-pirate games.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 06:25:46 AM

I'll put in my usual, I think Sword of the New World/Grenado Espada comes out ahead of almost anything else in the free to play non-pirate games.

The game is really cool. Except for the fact there is NOTHING to do but grind.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 10:15:13 AM

I can't remember if they've put in colony wars or not? Those sounded interesting and the few duels I fought were pretty interesting. But you still have to eternagrind to be useful in a colony war.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 09:29:52 PM

That's a fucking panda man riding a giant hawk. DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Well once WoW finally includes the Pandareans there'll be plenty of that...  Ohhhhh, I see.

On topic dunno, Anarchy Online is old, there's option to play it for free and it's pretty good all things considered. So maybe fits the bill, or at least worth a try.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 09:49:31 PM

Whoops, sorry, when I get into l2 mode I really can't stop, which is why I avoid it so much.

Really though, people with addictive personalities shouldn't play MMOs, at least if I stay up for days on end playing a console game it eventually tells me its over.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 07:03:32 AM

swamp poop

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
nurtsi
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 12:59:53 AM

I don't know if Mythos counts as an MMO, but it's free (though still in beta). If you can grab a beta account it's fun in small doses. It's not old though, if that's what you really want.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 04:44:20 AM

An Adventurer is You!

I think there is a (defunct) wing of Bat Country in there somewhere, someone might still have access and be able to set you up with some meat.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008, 02:30:47 PM

So I just uninstalled Anarchy Online. So far L2, AO and Granado Espada have all dissapointed. I'm seriously contemplating trying the silly MMO I posted up above.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008, 03:36:39 PM

What didn't you like about Grenado Espada?
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008, 09:40:36 PM

The whole party deal actually turns out to be annoying and the grind was brutal. The total time spent playing that Perfect World junk: 5 minutes. I created my character, logged in, did a quest and promptly logged out to uninstall it. Maybe I should just play KotOR or some Black Isle RPG.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 01:08:45 AM

Give Eve a try?  The first 2 weeks are free, and you can pay for your subscription with in-game currency.  With the space we hold down in 0.0 you could make enough money for a months subscription following people around and skinning/looting the corpses they leave behind in a week or so.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 05:13:03 AM

Subspace

http://www.subspacedownloads.com/  (download Continuum 40)

You will get brutalized by vets for a while, but its a damn fun game once start scoring a kill or two.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 01:28:41 PM

There was a great free MMPORG called Space Cowboy that I used to play a hell of a lot. Sadly it shut down a few months ago due to some crap involving the holding company being sold (don't know the details). It was a real pity, but yes, good free mporgs can and do exist. You can check out some vids from space cowboy if one is curious http://sco-forum.gpotato.com/viewtopic.php?t=5754

There is a new game thats pretty like it I believe at http://airrivals.net/ but I haven't played it, so cant comment on it.

Hic sunt dracones.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #24 on: April 30, 2008, 01:42:33 PM

Goal Line Blitz

I know it's a bit of a stretch, and there's not much to do in the game anyway (especially if you don't own a team, and ATM you can't get one no matter how hard you want it and how much you are willing to pay for it). And it's browser based.

But it's free. And it's so darn addictive.

I could be wrong, but this is going to be the best hidden next big thing (as much as a browser based game can be)

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 30, 2008, 02:06:34 PM

Check out what they're doing with Mythos.

http://forums.mythos.com/showthread.php?t=18245

Cliffs:

Greenreach is now one contiguous landmass, with hills, mountains, forests, valleys, rivers, bridges, and lakes. You’ll be able to remember where things are and return to them. Instead of traveling down an ‘alley’ in a random chunk of wilderness to get to a location, you may stumble across unexpected things, or dungeons to explore. The overworld is made by hand, and as such, it is much more purposeful, with settlements, farms, outposts, and much more interesting areas. Stonehill quarry looks like a Quarry. Gussen Farm looks like an actual farm.

We are HOPING to have from 150-200 players in an overworld at a time. That means it is still ‘instanced’ – but with a MUCH higher population than any of our other shared spaces. You’ll run across other players on the road, or on the way to dungeons. Your first moment in the game at Greenreach Priory will be shared with other players. We’ll just see how high we can push this.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #26 on: April 30, 2008, 02:36:27 PM

An Adventurer is You!

I think there is a (defunct) wing of Bat Country in there somewhere, someone might still have access and be able to set you up with some meat.

Seconded! Although you will have to do some squinting to really see it as multiplayer.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:34 PM

There was a great free MMPORG called Space Cowboy that I used to play a hell of a lot. Sadly it shut down a few months ago due to some crap involving the holding company being sold (don't know the details). It was a real pity, but yes, good free mporgs can and do exist. You can check out some vids from space cowboy if one is curious http://sco-forum.gpotato.com/viewtopic.php?t=5754

There is a new game thats pretty like it I believe at http://airrivals.net/ but I haven't played it, so cant comment on it.
Should that been in green?  It reminds me exactly of Space Cowboy in everything but the name.  (And they had a notice on the front page the name is different because of copyright.)

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 07:07:11 PM

Yeesh, yea, the ships are almost exact.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 02:50:33 AM

Wasn't that Japanese furry rape game free?  ACK!

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 03:43:44 AM

This one looks interesting, 14 day free trial and only a two step download to get it working.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 03:46:22 AM

This one looks interesting, 14 day free trial and only a two step download to get it working.

You forgot to mark that as "NSF*".

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 08:52:01 PM

You pay in an entirely different and eternal way.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 07:24:27 AM

Which one?

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #34 on: May 02, 2008, 10:28:16 AM

This made me giggle a lot.

I liked Lineage2 except I couldn't justify running bent over at the waist.

All the time.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Any worthwhile FREE MMOs?  
Jump to: