Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The robots are coming  (Read 213998 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #385 on: October 22, 2018, 01:48:28 PM

It will be sad when all the dogs get put out of jobs.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #386 on: October 23, 2018, 08:39:27 PM

Black Mirror already went there

I'm almost convinced Boston Dynamics are deliberately copying that look. Fuckers.
Wiki actually says the Black Mirror guys were inspired by the Boston Dynamic robot dogs to make that episode.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: October 23, 2018, 10:41:52 PM

It will be sad when all the dogs get put out of jobs.

Not this again.  Look, the robot dogs will only come in and do the menial tasks, like fetching the newspaper and scaring off burglars.  You know, the jobs that the regular dogs don't want to do anyway.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: October 25, 2018, 08:37:53 AM

If my robot dog will actually just bark at burglars, not piss and shit in the house when it rains and not steal my food when I'm not looking I'll take it.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #389 on: October 25, 2018, 03:20:11 PM

I've been waiting for someone to invent a robot dog that'll chase feral cats and raccoons out of my yard.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #390 on: October 25, 2018, 03:55:50 PM

I’m rereading Snow Crash and the Rat Thing starts to read more like science than fiction.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: November 03, 2018, 05:58:56 PM

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #392 on: November 05, 2018, 11:31:18 AM

Is it just me or did their demo look a lot like they were just flinging mannequins off a trapeze into a safety net?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: November 05, 2018, 12:36:29 PM

Is it just me or did their demo look a lot like they were just flinging mannequins off a trapeze into a safety net?

Well, mannequins that could strike different poses and then stick the landing perfectly, yeah.

Interesting that the stunt guy interviewed liked the idea, as he didn't see it replacing him but as a versatile tool he could use to set up his stunts more safely.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: November 05, 2018, 10:13:22 PM

Well, mannequins that could strike different poses and then stick the landing perfectly, yeah.

Interesting that the stunt guy interviewed liked the idea, as he didn't see it replacing him but as a versatile tool he could use to set up his stunts more safely.

Good chances that the guy has received many, many blows to the head.  If they can perfect those things (and shit, some of it looks close), there will be much less work for guys like him.  Although, I imagine there are still many kinds of stunts that these robots would not be suitable for.  Maybe even most kinds.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #395 on: November 06, 2018, 12:52:20 AM

I think what annoyed me about that video was that they were talking about "sticking a landing" while showing video of mannequins flopping ass first into trampolines.  "Sticking a landing" is when you land on your feet without stumbling.

The midair poses were kinda cool, but you don't really need complex robotics to do that.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: November 06, 2018, 01:05:12 AM

Yeah, that was my thought as well.  Not only could they not "stick" the landing, the couldn't land at all.  Still, you can imagine the scenarios where they can use something like this, like anything where they now use cables and pulleys to fling stuntmen (and actors) all about.  Just so long as they don't have to land credibly, I doubt they are even close to figuring that out. 

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: November 06, 2018, 09:11:06 AM

Pedants, on the internet? What is this?

Ohhhhh, I see.

Sticking a landing for this means landing on the body (machine) part you planned to land on. And yeah, the robotics looked pretty complex to me, but clearly our expectations are somewhat apart...
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: November 06, 2018, 10:52:54 AM

I think they're simple relative to Boston Dynamics, but in terms of what Hollywood needs (human-looking body that somersaults realistically and lands in a way that could preserve props and costuming for multiple takes) the results sort of speak for themselves. Apparently Disney's main plan was to have these available for live stunt shows where they'd fall off buildings or get launched through the air in impressive and repeatable ways while keeping their performers safe. That they could also show up in film is simply an added benefit.

In terms of the stuntman, I don't think he's even being naive. Many stunts are relatively minor things like standing somewhere dangerous, running quickly on unsteady ground, falling a relatively short distance. The variety of human actions a conventional stuntman can perform on short notice for relatively low cost is still competitive.

Mostly these acrobatic robots would take over for dangerous stunts which today would likely require CG work, making them slightly more practical and visually realistic.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: November 07, 2018, 10:54:25 PM

Pedants, on the internet? What is this?

Ohhhhh, I see.

Sticking a landing for this means landing on the body (machine) part you planned to land on. And yeah, the robotics looked pretty complex to me, but clearly our expectations are somewhat apart...

Don't get me wrong, I think these things are pretty amazing.  But 99 times out of a 100, "sticking a landing" means exactly what the gymnast girl did, so they should not have used it in that context in this article.  I was only making a point that - as impressive as this stuff is -it is a pretty huge gap between what these robots are doing and the incredible balance/muscular control it takes to actually land that sort of movement.  The same can be said about the Evil Robot Dogs.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #400 on: November 07, 2018, 11:00:51 PM

Stuntpeople generally don't "stick their landings" either. So these robots are no worse in that regard.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: November 08, 2018, 12:05:11 AM

Well, not for those big, bombastic jumps they were showing in the video.  But I'd argue that they probably do have to stick their landings for most of the mundane stunts, which is probably the majority of them, wouldn't you think?  I imagine these robots are ridiculously expensive, so in order to be viable they would have to be able to do quite a broad set of activities, one would expect.  I mean, if the only use case is the huge jumps flying through the air and striking a pose, there will much cheaper ways to accomplish that.

(insert joke about how many dead stuntmen you could buy with one robot)

Just being devil's advocate.  Still cool as hell, and any step forward is interesting.

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #402 on: November 08, 2018, 05:54:21 AM

If a stunt performer goes airborne, they land on their back or their ass in something soft, period. They do it for a living and may have to do it several times in a row, you don't get points for staying on your feet.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #403 on: November 08, 2018, 12:29:54 PM

Stuntpeople need to be good at landing in a net on their ass because human spines are vulnerable to damage and landing in a net on your head will break you.  It's a good skill for a human stuntperson to have.

Dummies don't have spines.  If you're throwing a dummy off a building, you don't need to spend money on programming it with net-landing skills because dummies don't have spines.  Most of the time you don't even need to bother with a net.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure there's some reason that this is useful for "stunt robots" or they wouldn't have gone to the expense of building it, but the video didn't make it obvious to me.  Seems more like an intermediate "tech demo" step in building something that might someday be useful (hence all the stock footage of human stuntpeople doing cool stunts that the robots are obviously a long way away from being able to do).

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #404 on: November 08, 2018, 01:32:15 PM

The answer may be that there is a lot of money in the entertainment industry.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: November 11, 2018, 07:09:16 PM

Well, not for those big, bombastic jumps they were showing in the video.  But I'd argue that they probably do have to stick their landings for most of the mundane stunts, which is probably the majority of them, wouldn't you think?  I imagine these robots are ridiculously expensive, so in order to be viable they would have to be able to do quite a broad set of activities, one would expect.  I mean, if the only use case is the huge jumps flying through the air and striking a pose, there will much cheaper ways to accomplish that.

(insert joke about how many dead stuntmen you could buy with one robot)

Just being devil's advocate.  Still cool as hell, and any step forward is interesting.

The robots would not have to be either ridiculously expensive or able to do a broad set of activities. Stunts are dangerous and stunt people are expensive for those reasons. The "mundane" stuff is neither dangerous nor expensive. The ability to have a robot to it saves you significant risk and planning costs for dangerous stunts
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #406 on: January 09, 2019, 04:03:22 AM

Hyundai is building some kind of car robot mech for sale.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: January 09, 2019, 04:09:12 AM

It's cool I guess, but my gut instinct is that its use cases are so niche that it would be pretty tough to make it commercially viable.  Looks more like something that should be traversing a lunar or martian landscape.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #408 on: June 15, 2019, 04:12:14 PM

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: June 16, 2019, 09:50:34 PM

Funny, and well made.  I don't know what's more worrying, the fact that we can make such convincing robots, or the fact that we can make such convincing videos.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #410 on: June 16, 2019, 10:50:07 PM

The guy mo-capping the robot really did a good job of capturing the movement of those Boston Dynamics abominations.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #411 on: June 16, 2019, 10:57:36 PM

I actually thought most of what I saw was a robot, up until the end anyway.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #412 on: August 28, 2019, 01:02:19 AM

China launches 50ft "unmanned warship" described as a "mini-destroyer" drone.

Allegedly can conduct air defense, anti-ship and anti-sub missions with phased-array radar, vertical launching system (VLS) and torpedoes.

Another article notes the US military is developing "a high-endurance, reconfigurable ship able to accommodate various payloads for unmanned missions" and has been experimenting with small, crewless "swarm boats".
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: August 28, 2019, 06:20:43 AM

If you can solve issues around communication and control (aka dealing with jamming/hacking etc) why the fuck would you put squishy humans onboard boats/subs/planes/tanks at all going forward?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: August 28, 2019, 06:52:02 AM

This amused me when it was in my timeline yesterday afternoon -

CNET posts a video from Boston Dynamics about 10 of those robot dogs pulling a truck across a parking lot -> tweet

So one of the mushers I follow responded with "My dogs can do that!" and it amused me greatly.  Granted, she used her full team of 18 dogs but still... :D

In any conditions that they can endure, I think I'd take a team of sled dogs over robots which just look creepy no matter what.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: August 28, 2019, 11:18:13 PM

The robot dogs are not interested in your opinion on the matter.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: August 29, 2019, 09:16:49 AM

Happy Judgement Day anniversary, folks.

Long live Skynet, or something.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #417 on: August 29, 2019, 09:23:42 AM

I, for one, wish our robotic overlords would hurry the fuck up before our human overlords wreck the place.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #418 on: October 01, 2019, 09:12:43 PM

$999 AI drone available to consumers from November: Skydio 2. Flies itself and tracks you. "Sees" with six 4K cameras and automatically avoids obstacles.

You basically just tell it to watch you and film you. 3.5km wireless range, 23 minutes' flying time, 36km/h tracking. Can also operate as a regular drone.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #419 on: October 02, 2019, 03:14:55 AM

Co-worker was just showing me that this morning (we're actually sort of looking into procuring a drone for work use).  Looks really nifty if it works as well as the video claims it does.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming  
Jump to: