Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:17:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The robots are coming  (Read 214007 times)
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #35 on: March 04, 2011, 03:45:41 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 09:37:02 PM

Wouldn't fucking robots be:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092746/ ?

Westworld was just more killer robots.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 09:50:06 PM

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 03:49:43 PM

I seem to remember an early scene in Westworld where guys are in bed with robotic women, before Yul Brynner goes psycho. Perhaps I dreamt it as a teenager, which was the last time I saw Westworld.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 03:54:51 PM

You could be right, that's about how long it's been since I saw it myself.  My mind always goes to Cherry2000 when fucking & robots comes up in a conversation.  Both because that's what the goal was and because I really thought Melanie looked pretty damn hot.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 10:55:46 PM

I seem to remember an early scene in Westworld where guys are in bed with robotic women, before Yul Brynner goes psycho. Perhaps I dreamt it as a teenager, which was the last time I saw Westworld.

It was pretty heavily implied that sex with the robots was happening, especially in RomeWorld (and in KnightWorld too).

Yul Brenner is the most memorable thing about "Westworld" though.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 11:55:40 PM

It was pretty heavily implied that sex with the robots was happening, especially in RomeWorld (and in KnightWorld too).

Yul Brenner is the most memorable thing about "Westworld" though.

Ah the whole movie's on YouTube. Sex robots in Westworld 1973: right-click and open on YouTube (not F13 pop-up) to start at that scene.
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:37 AM

I think this thread deserves this due to the recent turn in conversation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSVYgcy24Q !!!!Its fairly harmless, You probably should avoid opening it at work though if you are not the boss.!!!!

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #43 on: March 07, 2011, 03:23:59 PM

What? They haven't seen the video on Robot Gonorrhea? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #44 on: March 07, 2011, 05:09:48 PM

Was that movie any good?  Its based on a Philip K Dick story that I really liked (The Second Variety).  From the description, it sounds like its only vaguely similar to the story however.  Also, I'm not sure what it has to do with robot fucking.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 07, 2011, 07:14:16 PM

Was that movie any good?  Its based on a Philip K Dick story that I really liked (The Second Variety).  From the description, it sounds like its only vaguely similar to the story however.  Also, I'm not sure what it has to do with robot fucking.

It is so so. Lets just say there is some man on robot schtumphin at some point in the movie.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 12:28:41 AM

Arise!  I give you Cheetah Bot.

Perhaps you thought the four-legged BigDog robot wasn’t eerily lifelike enough. That’ll change soon. BigDog’s makers are working on a new quadruped that moves faster than any human and is agile enough to “chase and evade.”

Boston Dynamics, maker of the Army’s BigDog robotic mule, announced today that Darpa has awarded it a contract to build a much faster and more fearsome animal-like robot, Cheetah.

As the name implies, Cheetah is designed to be a four-legged robot with a flexible spine and articulated head (and potentially a tail) that runs faster than the fastest human. In addition to raw speed, Cheetah’s makers promise that it will have the agility to make tight turns so that it can “zigzag to chase and evade” and be able to stop on a dime.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: March 14, 2011, 07:17:45 AM

why so serious?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #48 on: March 14, 2011, 07:21:28 AM

Well that's actually more reassuring. All you have to do to disable it is hit it in the knee or whisper about its dead father.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #49 on: November 02, 2011, 09:52:36 PM

Remember those "anonymous unstoppable truck driver attacks" movies? 150 drone trucks driving through the desert.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 02, 2011, 10:43:52 PM

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #51 on: November 03, 2011, 12:18:23 AM

Remember those "anonymous unstoppable truck driver attacks" movies? 150 drone trucks driving through the desert.
Well, I really have to hand it to DARPA.  Compared to all the other shit we blow money on, they've continued decade after decade to be the some best money we spend on driving innovation that has big impacts in the world.

Just discovered this by googling around out of interest after reading that article.  Back in 2008, they held the DARPA Urban Challenge.  Carnegie Mellon University won the race (and it was a rather impressive feat).  They were then picked up by Caterpillar to develop the driver less dump trucks, using the technology they developed for the race.  And now in 2011 we have hundreds of driver-less death trucks running around in the desert in Australia.

Also recently of course is the Apple iPhone 4S.  Of which the voice technology (Siri) was also developed by DARPA.

Inventing the internet was also pretty sweet of them.

In other Robot news, the US has been testing a series of next gen drone aircraft out at Edwards Air Force Base lately.  The Navy is developing a new carrier based drone that looks like a god damn UFO from the side:

http://www.innovationnewsdaily.com/x-47b-drone-cruise-flight-2305/

Boeing is also going to be test flying their "Phantom Eye" drone.  It has the wing span of a commercial Jet, can fly at 65,000 feet (out of range of most missiles) for 4 days straight, and runs on Hydrogen, with its only by product being water:

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-10-31/news/30341975_1_unmanned-aircraft-drone-inaugural-flight

Boeing also has a stealth strike drone they're developing called the Phantom Ray, which has been in flight tests since earlier this year:

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2011-05/video-phantom-ray-drone-makes-maiden-solo-flight

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #52 on: November 04, 2011, 04:50:23 PM

Drone Better.

/ivan_vanko

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 10:48:02 PM

Probably the sound you will hear before you die: Towards A Swarm Of Nano Quadrotors
Muffled
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 02, 2012, 12:25:16 AM

That's exactly the sort of thing Skynet would love to use to exterminate humans, after it's been scaled up and mounted with laser cannons and whatnot.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 02, 2012, 01:10:33 PM

Who needs laser cannons (or scaling up)? Just a bit bigger with a teeny amount of explosive. Or just crashing the rotor blades into a human face, since they're agile.

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 03:53:29 PM

Brennik
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 01:17:32 AM

Welp, the quadrotors are back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sUeGC-8dyk
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 08:57:06 PM

Sand Flea Jumping Robot (from the creators of Bigdog). All it needs is some onboard plastic explosive. Or a poison dart gun. You're hiding out at night and there's a rattle on the roof...
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: March 28, 2012, 10:18:28 AM

Did you see the other one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISznqY3kESI&feature=relmfu

Quite interesting and useful for many civilian and military tasks. What they are doing with these robotic technologies could be revolutionizing. 
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 10:57:51 AM

Obviously faked but:
Quadroter with MachineGun

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #61 on: April 25, 2012, 12:08:46 PM

I think I could probably sneak up on one of those robots and disable it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 12:46:30 PM

Arise, arise and face your new mechanical overlords!
I think I could probably sneak up on one of those robots and disable it.
One of these could probably sneak up on you.  Latest version of Big Dog (Alpha Dog) is far quieter and has had an outer shell attached that both carries cargo and helps it get back up on its own when it falls over.  Intended for use as a pack animal.

Meanwhile the same lab has produced the first legged robot that can outrun the world's fastest sprinter.  Only in the lab, on a treadmill and with an external power source, so far.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 01:22:06 PM

I was hoping those would have turned and killed their inventors by now.

Another creepy as hell darpa monstrosity.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 01:37:45 PM

One of these could probably sneak up on you.

That thing is about as sneaky as a blind muskrat with cymbals strapped to it.  The recovery from falling down is pretty cool, though.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 06:10:32 PM

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #66 on: November 28, 2012, 04:41:10 PM

Playing 'catch' and juggling with a humanoid robot.

This + bigdog + grenades... battle centaur!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 10:56:05 AM

DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: November 30, 2012, 02:28:37 AM

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: November 30, 2012, 04:52:02 AM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: The robots are coming  
Jump to: