Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:57:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: News/Drama.. they go well together. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: News/Drama.. they go well together.  (Read 37833 times)
Ghost_of_Najena
Terracotta Army

on: March 11, 2008, 08:00:23 AM

As a long time reader of this and the linked forums I thought that maybe some people here would like to see some of the drama/truth/wow-factor thats going on over there. Myself have never really been one to stir a pot... but as no posts here of the incident(s) exist yet I decided to let you guys in on it.

1. LFG recieves this email on a sunday from SOE
http://www.eq2flames.com/general-gameplay/22038-how-will.html

2. After a discussion w/LFG and Niber, the gloves are off against the once befriended SOE...
http://www.eq2flames.com/general-gameplay/22042-eq2-flames-consolidated-developer-information-list.html

Tbh, i dont feel that all the devs are to blame for the mess that is EQ2 raiding and itemization atm,... but while reading the threads you'll see inside info given and even a good PM from one dev to LFG.  Eh.. but i figured i'd bring it here for your thoughts/reactions.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:07:07 AM by Iakizer »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 08:05:04 AM

I tried to read some of that thread, but I'm finding it to be in some cryptic non-English language.  Apparently I'm not fluent in stupid.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:07:05 AM

I do not give a shit.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:09:31 AM

Same. I keep trying to make sense of it, but it just isn't very compelling. Maybe if there was a straight up dialogue between the guy who runs that site and an SOE dev, that'd be sweet. However, it's just a link to another site.

And Nebu's right. What the fuck was with the picture post that I just didn't get?

Oh, in before the den.  awesome, for real

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:15:13 AM

Guild drama? Armchair Developers drama?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:27:24 AM

I guess I am on the other side.
I've always disliked Grimwell and not surpised by this Cartman like behavior.
I see this as natural consequence having serverly neutured "offical" boards.  They will find someplace else to congregate and they will be even more unpleasant.  These aren't your cubical dwelling wage slaves expecting them to behave like that is silly.

It's fine not to care what the players think, but the act of pretending to care is what gets them in trouble over and over.

"Me am play gods"
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:04:09 AM

As with all forum drama, the truth is lost in the vast expanse between both sides and will remain indecipherable to most of us. It certainly doesn't affect my desire to play EQ2.

I have never played WoW.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:46:20 AM

I love me some drama, but the site seems to be fucked up right now.

Warning: xcache_isset() [function.xcache-isset]: xcache.var_size is either 0 or too small to enable var data caching in /home/ixnay/public_html/includes/functions_vbseo_cache.php on line 93

Warning: xcache_isset() [function.xcache-isset]: xcache.var_size is either 0 or too small to enable var data caching in /home/ixnay/public_html/includes/functions_vbseo_cache.php on line 93

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:08:51 PM

I'll I see are about 40 sheep who feel that soe owes them the sun and moon for the "injustice" then have "committed" upon them, and a website owner who is prolly rolling in ad-revenue.
all and all just a big meh.
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 10:54:22 PM

From the fark thread:

The story is a bit more complicated - here's the gist (and those with more knowledge can correct me as needed). A few things happened all at once and I'm going by what I gleamed personally. EQ2Flames is a fan site (possibly the biggest one in the EQ2 community) and has generally become accepted as one of the better places to go for class information and quest help ect due to somewhat heavy-handed moderation on the official boards. The site was one of the few places some of the game developers could come over and discuss with the EQ2Community.. most notably big parts of the community that the moderators on the 'official' forums have pissed off to the point of no return.

So on the 10th, the head of their CR sends the admin of the forum (a guy that goes by the handle of LFG) this letter:

"It has always been the goal of our Influencers Program to embrace people who represent a diverse range of opinions about SOE and our games. The expectation we have for each Influencer is that they will provide open and honest feedback that we can consider or act on as a company. It is understandable that decisions made by SOE will not always be to the liking of every Influencer, and that constructive feedback from participants will enable us to better relate with our communities over the long term.

Your passion and enthusiasm for EverQuest II have always been appreciated, but your own activities in the last few months have led us to the conclusion that it is time for your participation in this program to end. You have been all but silent through the many channels of communication provided by the Influencers program; eliminating any benefit that your voice might bring to our attention in the service of the community.

At the very same time you have actively encouraged many ‘sensational’ issues to come to the attention of your community at EQ2Flames, even when those issues lacked merit. Additionally, you have abused your personal access to members of our development teams, with no regard to the harm it might cause them in the process.

For these reasons, we are ending your participation in our Influencers program. We appreciate the feedback you have given us when you chose to do so; but it is time for this relationship to end.

Please remember that any private information you were exposed to as a member of the Influencers Program is still protected by the non-disclosure agreement you signed when first joining the program.

Craig Dalrymple
    Senior Community Relations Manager
    Sony Online Entertainment"

This comes after their new producer and their customer relations buggers refused to provide information that had been previously been agreed on (things like exclusive reporting rights to some new content coming down the pipe that the raiding side of the game is hyped up about).

In retaliation, one of the co-founders of the forum posted the developer handle names, their private "ingame" names of their unofficial toons (the ones they play when they're at home) their guild affiliations, their email addresses, and past projects they've been involved in of, oh, around half a dozen different developers, since, quote, "I am providing this information with the intention that you will use these means of communication to get your opinions across."

In turn, this leaked information (and so far it's panning out)allowed for the discovery that some of the game devs had been spoon-feeding thier "at home" guilds information, ie, using the knowledge they had while working at SoE to help their guilds become uber and know exactly how to beat certain encounters. A lot of grief has gone up about this now... lots of calls on corruption, lots of calls on further censoring, ect.

Anyone that tries to post much of anytihng on this subject - expecially the part about the developers handing out the absolutely perfect strategies on how to beat the hardest raid encounters in the game for personal gain - on the official boards gets a minimum of a 3 day suspension.

[Edit: Bolded the juicy bit.]
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 12:16:29 AM

Grimwell uses the handle LFG?

What?
Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 05:44:31 AM

No, LFG is the said site owner of EQ2Flames.

More drama than required as usual.  I can see both sides of the story really.  EQ2Flames is full of catasses and vocal whiners who think SOE owes them something - so I can see to a point where SOE wants to distance themselves a bit.  On the other hand, the EQ2Flames site is growing in popularity because the official boards are useless (full of thread after thread of bullshit like "Wut toon should I duo with an SK") and are a virtual ghost town due to over-moderation.  EQ2Flames has quickly become the #1 EQ2 Forums (bigger than the official forums I would guess) and they do have insightful posts between all the catassing.

Lots of posts of drama, with devs being outted in top raiding guilds and that type of bullshit.  Nothing I care about.

I would call this one a lose-lose situation really.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 10:17:43 AM

Hahahahaha.  Noobs. 

This has been going on in Eve for years.

What the hell in EQ2 is so difficult that you need insight from a dev anyway?  I haven't played in a year, but the last raids I went on were absolute cakewalks.

I guess the good news is that Sony's devs are actually playing EQ2 now.  That's an improvement. 
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 10:19:33 AM

This is news how? So friends within an MMOG development house lack the ethics necessary to avoid "helping" their friends who play the game. Shock.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:31 AM

If the raidtards are upset...I'm happy.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 02:56:46 PM

This is news how? So friends within an MMOG development house lack the ethics necessary to avoid "helping" their friends who play the game. Shock.

Isn't this pretty much a necessary evil when it comes to raids anyway?  I always figured the majority of raid boss strategies got leaked out from developers.  Most people are just going to scour the forums looking for strategies rather than trying to figure things out themselves anyway (and with all the time and organization it takes for raiding I don't blame them), so it's not like the guilds with inside info are bigger cheaters than most everyone else.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 06:48:57 PM

Sounds like some dev's need to be fired. Won't happen of course, but it's stupid of the people running EQ2 to allow it to happen again after the Eve T20 public relations disaster.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 07:18:17 PM

Drama.  More, please. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 07:18:38 PM

Sounds like some dev's need to be fired. Won't happen of course, but it's stupid of the people running EQ2 to allow it to happen again after the Eve T20 public relations disaster.

I'd say there's a difference between EQ2 and a single shard, heavily competitive/PVP focused MMO like EVE.  EVE was also designed in such a way that forum drama was already more or less part of the game itself.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 06:17:00 AM

From the fark thread:

In turn, this leaked information (and so far it's panning out)allowed for the discovery that some of the game devs had been spoon-feeding thier "at home" guilds information, ie, using the knowledge they had while working at SoE to help their guilds become uber and know exactly how to beat certain encounters. A lot of grief has gone up about this now... lots of calls on corruption, lots of calls on further censoring, ect.

[Edit: Bolded the juicy bit.]

This isn't really news....

I said as much, although I put it a bit more PC back in this thread:
http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=9101.msg352110#msg352110

Wow, just saw this in one of the threads. This shows the level of detail being exposed to the top raid guilds by SOE:

To: mcgurer@hotmail.com
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007

Trakanon’s Lair raid zone is now ready for combat testing.

· Explanation: GU40 features a new adventure zone, Trakanon’s lair, an epic x4 raid zone.

· Testing : The zone is basically an x4 raid group instance which houses Trakanon (and nothing else). It is accessed through veeshan’s peak, so massive guarding isn’t considered necessary since it would not be envisioned that anyone could make it through veeshan’s peak.

· To enter the zone use /zone exp04_dun_veeshans_peak_epic01_trakanon, there is no content label

· When you enter you are in a zone in/zone out room which leads to gigantic stairs. You must use the side area of the stairs to walk up into the main lair.

· When you first enter the zone, trakanon will greet you from far above the platform, then fly down. At this point you can engage trakanon.

· You must have a chelsith stone with you to have any chance to succeed. /spawn expendables/baubles/chelsith_stone to get one for now. It will drop in the leviathan encounter in-game.

· Once the fight begins, you will notice the holder of a chelsith stone can touch the orb altar on the far side of the platform to energize it. Once energized if you stay within 14m of the energized orb structure, you are protected from many of trakanons more powerful abilities.

· The key to winning this encounter is to realize you must all fight within 14m of the activated orb on the far side of the platform. Trakanons arcane maelstrom breath weapon is far too lethal outside this protective area. In addition trakanons knockback abilities will prove problematic, and all but one of them is negated when you are close to this orb object (if its energized).

· Trakanon has the following combat abilities. Take special note of which spells combo off one another, and which spell effects are negated by proximity to the orb. Make sure they are NOT negated otherwise, make sure they ARE negated when you are close to the orb. Make sure the combo effects ONLY happen when you are hit with one spell when the second spell hits you, and do NOT go off otherwise.

· Trakanon is a level 87 warlock. He will periodically cast Wing Buffet and Tail Swipe. Wing buffet will STUN everyone in front of him for 2.5 seconds. It will also KNOCK everyone back UNLESS they are within 14m of the energized orb. Tail swipe does some damage, and stuns players for about 3 seconds. It will also KNOCK BACK any players that are NOT within 14m of the energized orb.

· Trakanon is immune to all control spells, and will double attack on melee 10% more than normal.

· Trakanon has Arcane Aura of the Wyrmlord on him. On take damage 10% of the time, players will be hit with Pestilential Pause. This does a slight amount of damage to the player and for the next 10 seconds, all the players spells take much longer to cast, and are basically at half effectiveness (heals and damage are half as effective as normal). Also your attack speed is reduced considerably during this time. This effect is not dispellable. Also, 2% of the time trakanon is hit with a hostile spell, he will heal himself for 2%.

· Trakanon will keep PROPHETIC SCRUTINY on one player at all times. With this effect on you, any spells you cast are interrupted, if the spell is interruptable. Every time you start to cast a spell you will be hit with PROPHETIC BOLT, which a small amount of damage and interrupts the spell you are starting to cast. This should be active on one player in the raid at all times

· Trakanon will keep Prescient gaze on all players at all times. It should never be off you for more than a few seconds even if you die and are rezzed back in. It causes all players to mana burn, using health whenever they use mana. It also causes players to have prescient intervention cast on them 8% of the time they try and cast a beneficial spell. Prescient intervention interrupts the spell they are trying to cast, and stifles the player for 2 seconds, and does a small amount of damage to the players mana pool.

· One player will generally have MARK OF REPULSION on him/her. This spell will go off at some random time, never less than 30 secs after it was placed on you. It has an hourglass icon. When it goes off that player will be hit with static repulsion, a targeted AOE that WILL knock back all players within 22m of the person who had Mark of Repulsion on him/her. You are NEVER protected from this knockback, even if near the orb. You must move away from your raid party so as not to endanger them with your Mark of Repulsion/Static Repulsion combo.

· 3.5 seconds AFTER static repulsion goes off, Trakanon will cast Arcane Maelstrom. A powerful aoe that does heat damage, does damage to a random item in everyones inventory, and does massive MAGIC BASED health and mana damage UNLESS you are close to the energized orb. You avoid MAGIC BASED MANA AND HEALTH DAMAGE only if you are near the energized orb.

· Trakanon will periodically cast Fetid Cloud and Toxic Tempest as well. Fetid Cloud does disease based health damage the closer you are to trak the more disease damage you take, and slows your attack speed. If you have Toxic Tempest still on you when fetid cloud hits you, you will take ADDITIONAL MASSIVE poison based health damage.

· Toxic tempest works similarly to Fetid Cloud, toxic tempest does range relative, poison based health damage to all players. If you have fetid cloud on you when Toxic tempest hits you, you will take additional MASSIVE disease damage as well. Toxic tempest slows your movement rate as well.

· 800 seconds after the raid fight begins, the platform you fight on begins to lower into the lava. This takes about 20-30 secs, after that time you will be forced to fight trakanon in the lava, and it won’t likely work well for you. If you hop away from the platform, you wont be protected by the orb so that’s not really an option. If you stay near the orb, you will be covered in lava so that’s not really an option. You have only about 820 secs to win this fight.

· If trakanon dies, the platform will rise. If trakanon resets, the platform will rise.

· Make sure the MYRIAD of ways you can wipe and reset, and feign to exploit are covered. Make sure the zone doesn’t leave itself in some odd state if you wipe and come back at the various stages, and make sure you cant complete things out of order in any way. Make sure the platform resets, and the encounter resets as it should if you win or lose.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 06:40:33 AM by UD_Delt »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #20 on: March 17, 2008, 06:54:28 AM

I wonder if he still drops his guts.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 08:27:00 AM

I pity the guild that has to figure this out without help. Oh wait. That's no one now.

I have never played WoW.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 09:49:00 AM

Trakanon’s Lair raid zone is now ready for combat testing.

blah, blah, blah, details and etc...

Um, so what?  It's been common knowledge since FoH killed Vox with Aradunes help that the devs use the top raid guilds to test the upcoming raid content.

*Yawn*

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 06:03:32 AM

God, raiding sucks. Risk vs reward my balls. More like reward for following the stpuid script and sitting around being bored.

But expanding on what Shiz said...can you actually imagine trying to figure that out? Is that supposed to be fun? It amazes me the two styles of gameplay coexist at all. But I could see the frustration of casual guilds as they wipe dozens of times or more while the more competent raid guilds already have the script in hand.

The whole thing really does amaze me. But hey, some people like to light their balls on fire, too. You never know.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 07:32:48 AM

To be fair, if the raid guilds weren't handed the script then the difficulty would have to take about three steps backwards to accommodate that.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 11:12:10 AM

And?
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 01:53:43 PM

Is it twisted that this thread made me nostalgic for my time raiding in EQ2?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 04:24:57 PM

If a bear shits in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, who gives a shit?

Move to WoW already.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 24, 2008, 10:38:49 AM

WoW has the same shit when it comes to raiding. EQ2 might actually be more casual-friendly once you are familiar with both systems. Content release has slowed somewhat, but EQ2 is also still far ahead of WoW in that as well. I'll give WoW the edge for pvp, EQ2 REALLY needs to shut down its pvp servers.
EvilPoptartress
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 11, 2008, 03:10:27 PM

If a bear shits in the woods, and no one is around to hear it, who gives a shit?

Move to WoW already.

WoW content is slow and stupid. Same as it ever was. One of the few redeeming parts and pieces of WOW is it's PVP play - and let's face it, most of the PVP players are irate 12 year olds who are pissed off cause Billy stole their lunch money.

Just move back to EQ 1.

It's still so much more "funner".
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 11, 2008, 04:02:43 PM

Did we find a new Dash for the Graveyard?  swamp poop

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #31 on: April 11, 2008, 06:32:14 PM

No. Doesn't that name remind you of somebody? Hint hint.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #32 on: April 12, 2008, 12:50:59 AM

No. Doesn't that name remind you of somebody? Hint hint.

I'm guessing it probably doesn't remind him of anybody since he's been here less than a year.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 12, 2008, 04:02:38 AM

I see how it is.  awesome, for real

Haters.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #34 on: April 12, 2008, 06:42:58 AM

Move to WoW already.

WoW content is slow and stupid. Same as it ever was. One of the few redeeming parts and pieces of WOW is it's PVP play - and let's face it, most of the PVP players are irate 12 year olds who are pissed off cause Billy stole their lunch money.

Just move back to EQ 1.

It's still so much more "funner".

Most of the old timers know her, she loves to poke fun at me.  :)

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: News/Drama.. they go well together.  
Jump to: