Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:38:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoH to get skill system (kinda) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CoH to get skill system (kinda)  (Read 12283 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: October 18, 2004, 11:25:58 AM

Quote from: Fargull
I know an Energy/Energy blaster that solo'd to 50 just hunting +3/+4 bosses.

I would love to meet this person, so I could pick his brain about what kind of strategy he uses for that kind of stuff.  Personally, as an Energy/Electrical blaster, bosses of even +2 seem to run a good chance of kicking the living shit out of me (unless i hit them a few times, run away, then hit them a few times again).

Was this person deliberately picking and chosing his targets very, very carefully or something?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: October 18, 2004, 12:48:36 PM

Most likely they were cherry picking their targets from  bosses of certain gang types. Heck as a defender I could probably do something similar if I really wanted to but it would be slower. Bosses of some gangs such as warriors/the family are just not that tough. Its a matter of picking ones that lack some of the freaky tricks and are weak or neutral to energy.

kaid
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: October 18, 2004, 01:02:58 PM

well, problem with that is that Boss monsters of +3/+4 range that dont have lots of freaky tricks become REALLY hard to find after about 35 or so.

40+ and you start talking about Malta, Rikti, Carnies and Nemesis.  I guess if you could find them, you COULD try to do a lot of leveling on Warhulks, as they seem to be pretty weak against Energy/Smashing.  But they hit REALLY freaking hard.  
Then again, since this person was boss hunting, he was probably Kiteing them with perma hasten+buildup+snipe from the tops of buildings or some lameass thing like that.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: October 18, 2004, 01:25:22 PM

Yup if they are boss hunting you can bet they are doing the super speed stealth kiting thing. I can see how it is doable I just can't see how I could enjoy doing it. To each their own I would rather hunt with my normal group myself as it is far more amusing than running around killing one mob here and there.

Kaid
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #39 on: October 18, 2004, 01:51:51 PM

Quote from: SurfD

Was this person deliberately picking and chosing his targets very, very carefully or something?

SurfD,

What server are you on?  I am on Virtue.  Name of my prime is Shadowpawn, shoot me a tell and I will get you in touch.  Yes, he chose carefully.  He also has level'd his Inv/Eng tanker from 30-41 in a week by pulling 100+ freakshow into a dumpster... he is a power leveler from hell and drives me nuts, but a very good player and completely focused when grouped.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: October 18, 2004, 02:50:43 PM

hehe, well, i can understand the tank pulling guys into a dumpster, as I recently did something very similar with my blaster:

The Kill prisoners badge is kill ANY prisoner, not just the bosses.  So i just trolled around the Zigurat with Electric Field on, gathering INSANELY huge mobs of prisoners, hopped over a fence a few times to gather them really close, then hit Nova.  Ever seen a kill badge bar jump by half inch increments?

I would send you a tell, but unfortunately i am on Victory server.  If you ever decide to whip something up over there, send me a tell on Naihatsu, my level 41 (soon to be 42) energy electric blaster.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: October 18, 2004, 02:54:06 PM

and speaking of badges, anyone who needs Skyraider Sky Skiffs, they are now infesting TerraVolta likes morons on the Vault Boards.  I swear, I did the entire kill badge in about 10 minutes and i didnt have to move much more then 300 yards in any direction once i found my first group of them.

Though, it does make Terra Volta an utter noob HELL right now, considering that the things spawn in groups of 3 along with attendant leuts/minions AND are flying EVERYWHERE.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #42 on: October 18, 2004, 03:05:23 PM

He also has level'd his Inv/Eng tanker from 30-41 in a week by pulling 100+ freakshow into a dumpster...

You mean he's an exploiter.
Though, it does make Terra Volta an utter noob HELL right now, considering that the things spawn in groups of 3 along with attendant leuts/minions AND are flying EVERYWHERE.

I don't know if it's them or what, but trying to pull of a kill mission (20 Lost) in TV is racking up some nice death penalt....err...DEBT NOT A PENALTY...

Can some of the Lost teleport players? I had finally resorted to hoversniping (which I hate) to finish this kill quest, then I took out a white Lost minion and sped off out of range. As I got way out of anything's range, and there were no flyers, BAM I was back at the feet of the Lost group I had poached from, asleep, and 2 seconds later, dead. I hate that kind of lame crap.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: October 18, 2004, 03:12:15 PM

really!?!  That sounds like lag and rubberbanding.

Allowing the enemy to TP players would be seriously nasty.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: October 18, 2004, 04:39:55 PM

Yeah, it seemed like the worst case of rubberbanding I'd ever seen, though I never lag in CoH and it wasn't laggy prior to or after the 'event'. Kinda like a free death penalty, similar to the old AD&D wandering damage table.

I just wondered if a Lost mob might get the power, because it's available to players, and it's been done in mmogs before (EQ).
Sable Blaze
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: October 18, 2004, 09:13:46 PM

What probably happened was you aggro'd a Pariah and he slept you while you were hot-footing it away. Then you rubberbanded to his feet. Maybe.

Then again, I've been slept while under SS and just stopped, frantically trying to get my shields up while the mobs closed in...

I've spent quite a bit of time hunting warhulks and freak tanks in Crey's Folly lately. It's certainly doable. I was going to about +3 IF they had minions. And they do hit HARD at that level advantage, even with maxed RPD and US. Hard enough that two +1 warhulks with no minions forced me to go unstoppable to take them down. +4 Nazis are pretty easy, but we all know that...though wolfbots can complicate things a bit. I haven't gotten brave enough yet to take on +3 or more Rikti Mentalists...but with UNS now slotted up...well...hmmm...off to PI!
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: October 19, 2004, 02:59:17 AM

Thank god for Integration. I never get slept anymore unless I wander into a large group with that power. :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: October 19, 2004, 07:20:28 AM

Heh...I forgot about yellow! :) I was thinking +3/4 was red/purple. Hey, got a lot on my mind just now.

I solo orange and red bosses all the time with my energy/energy blaster, as long as I can stay out of melee range. Over the weekend I soloed two orange bosses (tsoo and family) plus minions and a yellow lt. Tough damn fight, but doable, overwhelmed the tsoo boss and stayed out of the family boss's melee range.

When I hit a mission dry spell around level 11 or so, I hunted a bit in a hazard zone (boomtown), cherry-picking orange/red bosses. Since they almost always give a decent enhancement drop, it also fully outfitted me in my first set of DOs. Definitely a fast way for single-target powersets to levelup. Haven't done it much since, because it's also the most boring, and for me fun > advancement (thus why I'm level 24, heh).

Saw a funny technique last night on my way to help out X's Twin. Fire tanker was taken on even con minions by just standing there with fire aura thingy on. Hilarious, didn't fire off an attack power once, didn't take but 20 damage or so the entire fight, killed off 7 mobs as fast or faster then I could.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: CoH to get skill system (kinda)  
Jump to: