Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:00:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Goodies in the upcoming content patch (1.2) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Goodies in the upcoming content patch (1.2)  (Read 20726 times)
WayAbvPar

on: February 27, 2008, 12:49:01 PM

Thank FSM, they are mostly unfucking the chat UI.

If this is the ONLY thing they did with 1.2 it might be worth it, but it sounds like there is a lot more coming.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 01:52:18 PM

More Dev Logs here. Lots of changes upcoming (hopefully soon!).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:06:45 PM

Good stuff. Yeah, they mentioned the first few updates would be refining the stuff that got shipped too early. They shipped a functional game, which is undertandable, but some features were only barely functional. (Also understandable.)

I question the need for a LFG system, though. It seems to me that any LFG tool will go unused, as players prefer to spam "ninja SWM asl LFG for Cavern of Silicon Please Sent PST plz!"

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 07:56:02 AM

Yeah, I can't imagine ever using LFG. I group with society mates or not at all.

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 10:26:16 AM

I think if LFG isn't useful on day one then no one will ever use it no matter how much tweaking is done.  Is there much LFG spam in the game?  I've been in a society since day one and turned off nation chat after the first couple days so I don't see it if it's happening.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:04:09 PM

There's a fair bit, I think. Not as much as WoW or EQ of course. Most of the serious grouping is over port battles, and those groups are determined by the game system rather than chatting and inviting.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 12:21:59 PM

Screw all that, when are they going to fix the Auction house? It's a nightmare to use.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 07:15:29 PM

How so?  There are a few gui changes I'd like to see but it doesn't seem all that bad for the most part.
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 08:01:05 AM

The AH could definitely use a bit of love. Erasing all numbers in the price field after an unsuccessful bid would be a good start. Not cool to go to make another bid and accidentally add it to the end of your first bid. I have done it but not had enough money to cover the offer, thankfully, but many others have run into it and paid dearly.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 10:14:38 AM

I wouldn't mind if they got rid of that blind auction crap, and yes, made it just like WoW. I swear, it's like they chose a worse system only to be different.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 09:02:37 AM

Some good changes, but I just really feel that they're a million miles away from where they need to be with this game. And FLS just feels amateur-hour to me on some things--that they just don't get some of the issues with the design that are emerging with brutal clarity, especially with the way they set up the economy and then seriously crimped the currency faucet just before launch.

There's potential in PotBS but I don't know that they're going to have the player base and thus the income needed to realize that potential.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 10:48:49 AM

There's potential in PotBS but I don't know that they're going to have the player base and thus the income needed to realize that potential.

That's the same thought that I had in early beta.  I applaud this game for what it was attempting to do.  Sadly, implementation is hard.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 10:59:23 AM

Some good changes, but I just really feel that they're a million miles away from where they need to be with this game. And FLS just feels amateur-hour to me on some things--that they just don't get some of the issues with the design that are emerging with brutal clarity, especially with the way they set up the economy and then seriously crimped the currency faucet just before launch.

The latest Devlog and resulting discussion regarding PvP gave me a bit more hope (should be accessible via the link in the OP). It sounds like they are hearing the complaints I have from nearly everyone, so they are working towards unfucking a lot of things, starting with increasing Open Sea db drops (I actually had one yesterday that gave me twice as much XP as db..that is fucking retarded).

ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 09:16:28 AM

The UI changes are going to be nice.

The drop rate for doubloons and other loot is roughly doubling. This should help people afford to PvP more often.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 06:43:44 PM

Yeah, but the economy in structural terms is still really screwy, in a way that some of the dumber players don't really grasp. "Oh, it's so realistic" or "I'm making plenty of money on the AH, you don't need to do missions or OS grind". I can't even bother disabusing the dummies who think it's "realistic", whereas the latter bunch (if they genuinely believe that) haven't grasped yet that production is a sink, not an original source of currency value--that trade is just pushing money around that enters through missions or OS grinding. Doubling the Db drops isn't enough of a fix: there's a whole lot to be done to make the economy "game-like".
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: March 10, 2008, 09:28:32 AM

Full Patch notes. Too big to clutter up the thread, but well worth a read. Lots of changes/fixes, and a bit of content as well.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 07:25:35 PM

Yipes, I didn't think they'd release the new group mission so soon. Very cool.

WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 08:45:04 AM

Yeah that sounds like it might be fun. I just wish they would release the goddamned patch already.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 01:29:29 AM

Yeah, but the economy in structural terms is still really screwy, in a way that some of the dumber players don't really grasp. "Oh, it's so realistic" or "I'm making plenty of money on the AH, you don't need to do missions or OS grind". I can't even bother disabusing the dummies who think it's "realistic", whereas the latter bunch (if they genuinely believe that) haven't grasped yet that production is a sink, not an original source of currency value--that trade is just pushing money around that enters through missions or OS grinding. Doubling the Db drops isn't enough of a fix: there's a whole lot to be done to make the economy "game-like".

I'm coming to this realization in a rough way that puts a bad taste in my mouth.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Goodies in the upcoming content patch (1.2)  
Jump to: