Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 324 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  (Read 2931996 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #5145 on: March 25, 2011, 07:53:15 AM

For some reason, that cat strikes me as being French.

I fucking hate my French classes, btw...ugh.  swamp poop

Cheer up! Get the accent down and you'll be good with the ladies. why so serious?
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #5146 on: March 25, 2011, 09:02:50 AM

For some reason, that cat strikes me as being French.

I fucking hate my French classes, btw...ugh.  swamp poop

Cheer up! Get the accent down and you'll be good with the ladies. why so serious?

During four years of living in Paris, I never once heard an American speaking French that didn't make me wince in pain.

We need to go to the portay de Orleens!

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #5147 on: March 25, 2011, 11:45:57 AM

Fair enough, the french butcher the shit out of English.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #5148 on: March 25, 2011, 11:46:25 AM

On the flip side, a good friend of mine is a Frenchy. Her accent is so thick that she has to repeat herself over and over before I know what she's saying to me.

She also teaches French. I guess that's good for immersion of the students.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #5149 on: March 25, 2011, 12:04:45 PM

Yeah, but so does most of North America.
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #5150 on: March 25, 2011, 12:09:33 PM

Jus' water you gettin' at?
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #5151 on: March 25, 2011, 12:14:18 PM

Yeah, but so does most of North America.

Hell so does most of the british isles. There are some english dialects that are almost as incomprehensible as the thick southern accent.

Had a funny conversation that involved a guy with a thick scottish accent and a girl with a thick way down south accent. I needed fucking subtitles.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #5152 on: March 25, 2011, 12:52:33 PM

Hollywood has made American (specifically, West Coast) English the world standard for English.  England is just another place where people speak with a funny kind of accent.  Your welcome.   why so serious?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #5153 on: March 25, 2011, 01:12:26 PM

This topic reminds me of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2cCZX106AE

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5154 on: March 25, 2011, 01:15:46 PM

Hollywood has made American (specifically, West Coast) English the world standard for English.  England is just another place where people speak with a funny kind of accent.  Your welcome.   why so serious?
Moon Zappa has amazingly set the standard for american female english. The world is an odd place for those of us old enough to remember when girls talking like that was a joke. It's like some airhead version of Jeopardy where everything is in the form of a question.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #5155 on: March 25, 2011, 01:39:47 PM

Hollywood has made American (specifically, West Coast) English the world standard for English.  England is just another place where people speak with a funny kind of accent.  Your welcome.   why so serious?

I don't have an accent, this is what English sounds like when you pronounce it properly.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5156 on: March 25, 2011, 02:46:33 PM

Erm, I thought I saw somewhere that the "standard" American English accent was something like mid-upper Midwest, like Iowa, Illinois...

Faux-edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_American_English

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5157 on: March 25, 2011, 04:11:27 PM

Erm, I thought I saw somewhere that the "standard" American English accent was something like mid-upper Midwest, like Iowa, Illinois...

Faux-edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_American_English
Yeah, my bad.  The old joke is that in movies everybody in the world sounds like they're from California because that's where Hollywood is located, but on film and TV it really is just the Standard American accent (which is how the majority of people speak in California anyways).
I don't have an accent, this is what English sounds like when you pronounce it properly.
Unless you sound like Brad Pitt, then nope, doing it wrong!

I kind of wish I was joking, but it really seems true.  Every person I've ever met who learned English as a second language, and became fluent enough to drop their own country specific accent (and learned it in there own country, not America, obviously), all sound like they came right out of America.  So far, this range of friends covers France, Norway, Germany, Spain, Japan, Indonesia, and Hong Kong.  Yes, Hong Kong, where the friends in question grew up, went to school, and learned English when it was apart of the British fucking Empire.  When ever I ask any of them about this, they've all explained that they primarily got good at English by watching American Film and TV shows.

So yeah, if your speaking with an English accent, its not correct or normal.  Your obviously only doing it for the express purpose of trying to sound intelligent, pompous, or both.   awesome, for real

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #5158 on: March 25, 2011, 05:19:38 PM

Sadly, this is true. We either have people who are literally awful at speaking english (and end up speaking english words with a norwegian grammar/sentence buildup), just suddenly swapping common words for norwegian words because they can't think of the english word immediately, or a nice combination of both.

Personally I've hoped I had a british accent, but sadly all the brits I keep talking to claim I have more of an american slant. Oh well.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #5159 on: March 25, 2011, 06:30:17 PM

Wikipedia says that California has a few accents unique to the area. Might seem like CA has the standard accent, if only because of the high number of transplants.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #5160 on: March 25, 2011, 06:48:47 PM

I've heard that the Scottish speak English, but I've never understood a word.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #5161 on: March 25, 2011, 06:59:17 PM

You be trollin'.  Allow me to demonstrate proper technique with the inclusion of an awesome picture.

Yo Dawg.  So sowee.  It's our language now.  We made it ours by being the undeniably best-ever-mofos of all times.  Would that you could have held on to that dang empire.  Pretty soon, there will come a day when you weirdo Euro nerds will begrudgingly admit that you speak American.  Capital Motherfucking A.  Don't you ever forget.  So sad.  So sad.  See ya later, bro!

Whoopdy Whoop Nigga Wut?

AKA Gyoza
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5162 on: March 25, 2011, 09:32:16 PM

Aaand...we're back to Moon Unit!
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5163 on: March 27, 2011, 05:22:24 PM

Spoilered for size

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #5164 on: March 27, 2011, 09:07:28 PM

haha I was looking at that the other day. My favorite spots are "PASSED OUT" & "STAY OUTTA MALIBU"

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #5165 on: March 28, 2011, 08:40:20 AM

If that's not real, someone's slacking.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #5166 on: March 28, 2011, 01:09:04 PM

Wikipedia says that California has a few accents unique to the area. Might seem like CA has the standard accent, if only because of the high number of transplants.

I have always thought of Californians not having accents as much as just having assloads of slang that boggles the fuck out of the rest of the world.  Notable exceptions would be things like so-cal surfer drawl/accent.

I will never forget the looks on the faces of some folks from New Hampshire after they heard my Cali friend say "like, dude, we are so fucking golden".  I should disclose the fact that I am cali born and raised.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #5167 on: March 28, 2011, 01:16:12 PM

Anyone that says "soCal", "NorCal", or "cali" is almost invariably either a native of California or someone who has lived there for a good amount of time.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5168 on: March 28, 2011, 01:17:32 PM

And we can spot the outsiders because they say "NoCal" without the R.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5169 on: March 28, 2011, 01:36:06 PM

I will never forget the looks on the faces of some folks from New Hampshire after they heard my Cali friend say "like, dude, we are so fucking golden".  I should disclose the fact that I am cali born and raised.

I don't understand what's difficult about that sentence.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #5170 on: March 28, 2011, 01:36:29 PM

Yeah seems hella clear to me.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5171 on: March 28, 2011, 01:45:49 PM

I don't understand what's difficult about that sentence.

It's Gold, Jerry, GOLD!

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #5172 on: March 28, 2011, 01:54:28 PM

English is my second language and even I got that sentence.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #5173 on: March 28, 2011, 07:35:39 PM

To be fair, he was talking about people in New Hampshire.

-Stephen Colbert
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5174 on: March 29, 2011, 05:12:56 AM

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #5175 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:20 PM

Have that in a larger resolution?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5176 on: March 30, 2011, 05:17:57 AM

I don't even know who that is.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #5177 on: March 30, 2011, 05:19:22 AM

I assume it's Ed Norton and Brad Pitt.  Fight Club.  Pretty well done.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #5178 on: March 30, 2011, 05:27:47 AM

Have that in a larger resolution?

I tried to find one but couldn't find anything bigger, sorry.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #5179 on: April 04, 2011, 05:13:37 PM

Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 324 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  
Jump to: