Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 02:42:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 324 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  (Read 2938473 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #2170 on: April 02, 2009, 11:21:23 AM

I don't see how that's homogenizing, it is in fact very notably scooby doo and the gang and nothing else.

Edit: Also, anime isn't homogenizing anything really, Cartoon Network is more of a aggressor in that arena with their translation of Batman Beyond and Big O styles to every other goddamn new cartoon they put out. I'll take Perfect Hair Forever over that crap any day.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2171 on: April 02, 2009, 12:15:07 PM

It's not that anime is homogenizing anything, it's that there is no American animation style worth a damn. 

My kids got into Scooby Doo a few years back. Holy crap, I hadn't seen it in years and it was just GODAWFUL.  For one whole scene one of the characters was block shaded as a single color, and then mid-scene swapped to their correct palette.  It was like the coloring guy was drunk one day, then picked up again on Monday.

Oh, and it's Freddie, not Reggie.  why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2172 on: April 02, 2009, 12:21:30 PM

You know... you may have touched on a topic for a separate discussion.  I think that this generation (most of you here) is a lot more visual than my generation.  I look at most of the movies released in the past 10 years and it seems that there's a HUGE emphasis on visual imagery.  I'm more of a story person.  Not that scooby-doo is my example of great storytelling.  I'm just saying that I'm pretty willing to forgive visuals if the story is compelling.  Maybe that comes from being a bookish kid... I don't know.  Maybe I'm just used to lower visual standards than most of you have grown up with.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 12:23:20 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #2173 on: April 02, 2009, 12:36:55 PM

Scooby-Doo animation was head and shoulders above Rocket Robin Hood and Spider Man. 

The mysteries were always interesting too.

You kids and your CGI animations...

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2174 on: April 02, 2009, 12:46:24 PM

it is in fact very notably scooby doo and the gang and nothing else.

No way. Take the dog out of the picture, and 60% of people would have no idea what it was.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2175 on: April 02, 2009, 12:49:23 PM

It is very obviously Scooby Doo to people who have seen Scooby Doo. Schild would probably be willing to admit that the 40% who haven't seen it would not be able to identify that picture as Scooby Doo. awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
schild
Administrator

Reply #2176 on: April 02, 2009, 12:56:24 PM

We're not talking about people that can't recognize scooby doo though, I mean who cares?
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #2177 on: April 02, 2009, 02:24:44 PM

It seems based more on the recent scooby doo movies than those of the 60's and 70's, what with Fred having a jacket instead of a pull over sweater and scarf.  But other than that and Shaggy really lacking his goatee, yeah I'd say spot on.

You know... you may have touched on a topic for a separate discussion.  I think that this generation (most of you here) is a lot more visual than my generation.  I look at most of the movies released in the past 10 years and it seems that there's a HUGE emphasis on visual imagery.  I'm more of a story person.  Not that scooby-doo is my example of great storytelling.  I'm just saying that I'm pretty willing to forgive visuals if the story is compelling.  Maybe that comes from being a bookish kid... I don't know.  Maybe I'm just used to lower visual standards than most of you have grown up with.

Don't base your judgment purely on Schild and myself.  He's an art major and I'm in a visually inclined field.  We're going to have different standards.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2178 on: April 02, 2009, 02:32:02 PM

Don't base your judgment purely on Schild and myself.  He's an art major and I'm in a visually inclined field.  We're going to have different standards.

I grew up with 4 channels on a black and white tv (those years when we had a tv).  Looking at the choices people have and the way media goes to great lengths to use visual stimuli was more of my emphasis.  All you have to do is look at a fashion or sports magazine in the 60's and compare it to what you see now to see the impact.  Even something as simple as a comic book is now being turned into a piece of art.  I'm just not sure if it's because technology makes it easier or because we need the visual stimulation to make up for the lost art of storytelling. 

EDIT: I'm not saying that there aren't good storytellers out there.  There certainly are.  What I meant was more that there seems to be a market for really visual entertainment.  This market was very different to non-existent 40 years ago. 

--> Back to pictures.  I apologize for the derail.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:01:53 PM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #2179 on: April 02, 2009, 03:32:34 PM

Modern computers have made post-processing of most media (CGI, and things like colouring of comics) very, very cheap compared to just fifteen years ago. Cheap Wacom tablets have given even the poorest illustrator endless possibilities of fixing up their work. Getting something that looks good no longer happens in front of the camera, but in front of the screen. Just look at 300 that had like five set props in total. Bars have been raised.

Anyway, what Nebu said. Pics, and I don't have any, not even of myself. I'm unawesome.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2180 on: April 02, 2009, 04:00:07 PM

I grew up with 4 channels on a black and white tv (those years when we had a tv).  Looking at the choices people have and the way media goes to great lengths to use visual stimuli was more of my emphasis.  All you have to do is look at a fashion or sports magazine in the 60's and compare it to what you see now to see the impact.  Even something as simple as a comic book is now being turned into a piece of art.  I'm just not sure if it's because technology makes it easier or because we need the visual stimulation to make up for the lost art of storytelling. 

EDIT: I'm not saying that there aren't good storytellers out there.  There certainly are.  What I meant was more that there seems to be a market for really visual entertainment.  This market was very different to non-existent 40 years ago. 

--> Back to pictures.  I apologize for the derail.
There were just as many shitty storytellers (ESPECIALLY IN COMICS) back then. The problem is, despite all the shit on the internet, it's more accessible to find shitty ones than it used to be. At the same time it's a lot easier to find the good ones. It's not that the art or the people have changed (obviously they have), it's just that you have access to so much more good stuff and shitty stuff that your perception of what was available back then is flawed. Just because you couldn't find it back then, or because your standards were lower as a child (and they always are) doesn't mean that just as much SHIT per capita didn't exist.

Also, Hannah Barbara has never produced a single good looking frame of animation or decent piece of dialogue during their tenure in animation. All they did was entertain children with shit standards (again! this is OK for children! It is, in fact, the point of marketing towards children, when it comes to entertainment, they're fucking bland and stupid). I mean shit, look at what passed for a good game back then. Sure we got the odd Duck Tales, Mega Man, Metroid and Super Mario but for every good game there were 20 shitty ones and we enjoyed them all.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #2181 on: April 02, 2009, 04:02:19 PM

If I knew the pic would have triggered a derail like that, I'd have posted the other one, too:

awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
schild
Administrator

Reply #2182 on: April 02, 2009, 04:14:09 PM

Again, if only. Gotta love the traditional clothing on Daphne though. haha.

Also, Shaggy looks about right there. And again, Scooby Doo, spot fucking on.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2183 on: April 02, 2009, 04:46:20 PM

it is in fact very notably scooby doo and the gang and nothing else.

No way. Take the dog out of the picture, and 60% of people would have no idea what it was.

I agree with what you said.

This is about 5 minutes of Photoshop work, so not going to win awards. And I know what schild will say already, so I'm interested what everyone else thinks  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm biased since I know these pics already. Right now Velma's glasses at least substantiates Velma is in the picture. I don't know what the heck that screaming guy is in the first photo though. Looks like an extra from EmosRUs or something. And Fred's mask in the same picture is freaking me out.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2184 on: April 02, 2009, 05:12:48 PM

guys

WHO THE FUCK DRAWS THE SCOOBY DOO GANG WITHOUT SCOOBY DOO?

Jesus. It's just a stupid argument.

If you were watching a scooby doo anime and scooby doo wasn't in the scene, you'd still know what you were watching.

Also, Velma is still notably Velma in both pics.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2185 on: April 02, 2009, 05:15:53 PM

The second on is still clearly Scooby-Doo if you ask me Darniaq, the first one not really. If someone showed me it and said "guess what children's tv show this is from" I'd probably guess it, but it wouldn't spring to mind naturally. The other one would.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #2186 on: April 02, 2009, 05:43:26 PM

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2187 on: April 02, 2009, 05:54:53 PM

I want to say back to our regularly scheduled programming but...

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #2188 on: April 02, 2009, 06:01:06 PM

Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #2189 on: April 02, 2009, 06:03:30 PM

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2190 on: April 03, 2009, 05:04:32 AM

That... that actually seems like it would work.

"No more shooting hoops till you finish your homework young man!"

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #2191 on: April 03, 2009, 07:00:09 AM

Holy crap that is freaking epic... DRILLING AND MANLINESS

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #2192 on: April 03, 2009, 07:40:24 AM

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #2193 on: April 03, 2009, 07:42:27 AM

Looks like it shaved the moustache too.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #2194 on: April 03, 2009, 08:03:10 AM

I understand things get better.

You're still quite young.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #2195 on: April 03, 2009, 08:05:12 AM

I just really don't get it.  Is this the product of plastic surgery or did she just shave and put in contacts?

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #2196 on: April 03, 2009, 08:05:35 AM

I just really don't get it.  Is this the product of plastic surgery or did she just shave and put in contacts?

Photoshop.

schild
Administrator

Reply #2197 on: April 03, 2009, 08:11:29 AM

I understand things get better.
You're still quite young.

And yet I've seen so much! Thanks Moore's Law!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2198 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12:37 AM

On animation. I love the topic, I used to be an art major focusing on comics illustration. I can appreciate the japanese stuff, just like I can understand why Miles Davis is a great jazz player. I just don't like it.

However, using Hanna Barbara to represent american animation is criminal. They were mostly hacks. The true art was going on over the that WB studios. I am a for-reals WB fanboi. For some cool reading, check out this blog:

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/

And stuff like this in particular:

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/03/you-better-learn-to-love-classic.html

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/2006/05/animation-school-lesson-1-construction.html

The animation lessons are great!

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #2199 on: April 03, 2009, 08:15:34 AM

guys

WHO THE FUCK DRAWS THE SCOOBY DOO GANG WITHOUT SCOOBY DOO?

Jesus. It's just a stupid argument.

If you were watching a scooby doo anime and scooby doo wasn't in the scene, you'd still know what you were watching.

Also, Velma is still notably Velma in both pics.

Velma is too thin. 
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2200 on: April 03, 2009, 08:17:23 AM

Bipedal tanks are totally feasible!

"Me am play gods"
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2201 on: April 03, 2009, 09:55:05 AM

That tex avery sketch should be its own post in this thread. I'm really quite amazed just how much detail was put into those cartoons now.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2202 on: April 03, 2009, 09:56:46 AM

However, using Hanna Barbara to represent american animation is criminal. They were mostly hacks. The true art was going on over the that WB studios. I am a for-reals WB fanboi. For some cool reading, check out this blog:

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/

John K himself is someone I'd point to as an example of great American animation.  His stuff is the polar opposite of homogenized Hanna-Barbara/anime (yes, I lump them together, at least cheap TV anime) shlock.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #2203 on: April 03, 2009, 09:59:22 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #2204 on: April 03, 2009, 10:01:19 AM

wat
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 324 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  
Jump to: