Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 11:42:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 324 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  (Read 2932205 times)
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7035 on: August 23, 2012, 01:31:59 PM

That picture = awesome.

Jackson Pollack = oops, I spilled some paint.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Heartbreak I laughed, given that one of my favorites is indeed Jackson Pollock.

That picture = awesome.

Jackson Pollack = oops, I spilled some paint.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Well, I think what I'm getting at is the difference between art, and craftsmanship. They don't overlap perfectly, and obviously both contain a wide range of quality. This guy is clearly right up at the top of the list on craftsmanship.

Well, even then, what one considers "craftmanship" can be somewhat subjective, if only from an standpoint of ignorance. Helvetica was a shit load of craftmanship in it, for example. But, yes, I do get your point, and agree with it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:36:21 PM by sickrubik »

beer geek.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #7036 on: August 23, 2012, 01:32:45 PM

Hey let's all argue about something that is, by definition, subjective.
Well, duh.  This is the internet, after all!

And I saw that image on dA (I think) a few days ago.  Thought it was awesome then and it's still awesome.  I don't have a problem with it being in ballpoint pen, but I do find it hard to believe his pens didn't clump up and leave little globs of ink all over the picture though.  awesome, for real

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7037 on: August 23, 2012, 01:39:42 PM

I don't see how you could get that range of colours with just eight pens.  I don't believe it.  As in I think it's a hoax or something.

Most stuff is printed in CMYK, as in four colors. (Though now it's really something like C LC M LM Y LY K.) It can be done.
They are mixing together the primary colours in different quantities to form all those though.  You can't do that with two different pen strokes one on top of another.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #7038 on: August 23, 2012, 01:46:38 PM

I don't see how you could get that range of colours with just eight pens.  I don't believe it.  As in I think it's a hoax or something.

He explains how in the comments on his Deviant Art page (follow the links).  Looking at his other ball point pen paintings, you can see a progression of more and more photorealism as you go from his old paintings to his newest.  There are multi-color pens that include yellow, pink, brown, a couple shades of red, green, sky blue, etc., sold at the typical office / stationery store.  He  says he's used 6 colors + black; I'm counting red, orange (hair), yellow, green, the green in the eyes, brown, some purple at the lower eyelashes, and black.  The red, brown, and black seem to be very fine and vivid pens (probably with the more liquid ink), whereas the orange, yellow, and green backgrounds may be .9's or bigger, with the more paste-y ink.

If his explanation doesn't satisfy / is unbelievable, you can get watercolor colors out of a ball point pen if you dip it in rubbing alcohol and let the last droplet dissolve the ink on the ball before touching it to the paper; instead of a black dot, you get a small watercolor circle that you can spread around a little before the alcohol dries up.  It takes skill to get a large even surface like the face, but it's theoretically doable.

The neck and lower hair blur is amazing as a technique, compared to the sharpness of the eyes and foreground hair.  Completely gives 3D to the painting.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7039 on: August 23, 2012, 01:51:53 PM

Print is CYMK, video is RGB.

I find that interesting.

I kid with the Pollack thing. To each their own, I don't understand it but I support artists.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7040 on: August 23, 2012, 02:04:33 PM

Most stuff is printed in CMYK, as in four colors. (Though now it's really something like C LC M LM Y LY K.) It can be done.
They are mixing together the primary colours in different quantities to form all those though.  You can't do that with two different pen strokes one on top of another.

That is only correct if you are doing spot color. Because in essence the method he is employing is very close to CMYK printing. the relationship of how many yellow dots you are using to blue dots, etc.

beer geek.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #7041 on: August 23, 2012, 02:37:10 PM

While it is completely amazing that he can do that... I kind of feel like there's a point where if you can't tell it apart from a photograph you're not really doing anything to put your own stamp on it and it loses the art aspect, you know?
I'm outdated on my art knowledge, but the Realism movement produced my absolute favorite paintings.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7042 on: August 23, 2012, 03:13:30 PM

Hey let's all argue about something that is, by definition, subjective.
Well, duh.  This is the internet, after all!

And I saw that image on dA (I think) a few days ago.  Thought it was awesome then and it's still awesome.  I don't have a problem with it being in ballpoint pen, but I do find it hard to believe his pens didn't clump up and leave little globs of ink all over the picture though.  awesome, for real

Try some of the new liquid ink or even gel-ink pens vs. the old blobby inks from the 70's and 80's sometime.  Uniball makes some of my favorites ever, just don't buy the traditional black uniball with the removable cap and the 3 flutes on the top.  Those are shit for writing and sketching and go to pot very quick.  Yes, I get lost in the pen aisle in Staples when I'm there.

While it is completely amazing that he can do that... I kind of feel like there's a point where if you can't tell it apart from a photograph you're not really doing anything to put your own stamp on it and it loses the art aspect, you know?
I'm outdated on my art knowledge, but the Realism movement produced my absolute favorite paintings.

There's also the Photorealisim movement, to which this picture would belong.   Amazing technique and great art.  Reminds me of a painting I saw from the realism movement in the Cleveland art museum as a kid.  Nearly walked-past it thinking it was a shadow box, realized it was a painting and was floored.  Was some artist from the 1850's in the old west.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7043 on: August 23, 2012, 04:45:05 PM

This deserves to be yoinked out of there and put in this thread.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #7044 on: August 23, 2012, 05:13:48 PM

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7045 on: August 24, 2012, 08:24:49 AM

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #7046 on: August 24, 2012, 08:29:51 AM

I can't stop watching, and I keep thinking of other things that would be awesome to throw down there awesome, for real
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #7047 on: August 24, 2012, 08:36:26 AM

Yeah, I've seen clips of various objects tossed into an industrial shredder and it's cool and scary what happens to them.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7048 on: August 24, 2012, 10:16:57 AM

I've seen one of a cow carcass... ACK!

and now it's in my head again, fuckers.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #7049 on: August 24, 2012, 10:39:00 AM

This is a statue from an open air exhibition in Amsterdam

Hic sunt dracones.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #7050 on: August 24, 2012, 06:05:51 PM

Yeah, I've seen clips of various objects tossed into an industrial shredder and it's cool and scary what happens to them.
YouTube channel where the original video came from.  Nothing meat-like in any of them, I think.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7051 on: August 25, 2012, 07:08:06 AM

Long image is long.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #7052 on: August 25, 2012, 10:06:38 AM

YouTube channel where the original video came from.  Nothing meat-like in any of them, I think.

--Dave
The fact that they've made a channel just to show stuff being shredded, and obviously make the videos specifically to show random stuff getting shredded, just amuses me to no end.

Long image is long.

That a cool timeline, although the nerd in me wants to say that Logan's Run killed people once they reached 30, not 21.

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #7053 on: August 25, 2012, 02:04:16 PM

It's 21 in the book. The TV-series probably changed it because it's infeasible to get decent actors that all look like they're 18.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #7054 on: August 27, 2012, 08:18:56 AM

I love the Highlander 2: The Quickening - 'we already ignore this'
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #7055 on: August 29, 2012, 07:33:50 PM

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7056 on: August 29, 2012, 07:48:02 PM

Unfortunately for him, Apple patented all social media used for customized cute responses to Facebook fans a while back, whenever it was that Steve Jobs stole all that from someone else.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #7057 on: August 30, 2012, 06:54:44 AM

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7058 on: August 30, 2012, 08:24:18 AM

ACK! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Sometimes I really wonder how these people are in the right place at these perfect times. Granted, there are probably 400 pictures from this person that are not worth it, but christ that is definitely an awesome shot.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7059 on: August 30, 2012, 08:39:46 AM

ACK! DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Sometimes I really wonder how these people are in the right place at these perfect times. Granted, there are probably 400 pictures from this person that are not worth it, but christ that is definitely an awesome shot.

Watch 'Planet Earth', they do some crazy stuff to capture stuff like that. A lot of these times photographers are in a location for weeks/months.

beer geek.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7060 on: August 30, 2012, 12:05:31 PM

Holy fuck, is there a hi res of that?  Tineye's got nuthin.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #7061 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Holy fuck, is there a hi res of that?  Tineye's got nuthin.

Use Google's thing on image search, turns up a bunch of results, including a link to 500px where the photographer posted it.

beer geek.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7062 on: August 30, 2012, 01:32:19 PM

Holy fuck, is there a hi res of that?  Tineye's got nuthin.

Use Google's thing on image search, turns up a bunch of results, including a link to 500px where the photographer posted it.

Well shit, Tineye is obsolete.

Looks like you can buy a 1920x1080 copy for $3.  I might just do it, that's a rad picture.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #7063 on: August 30, 2012, 01:48:34 PM

Well shit, Tineye is obsolete.
Yeah, figured that out a few months back as well.  Googles image search works way better than Tineye now.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7064 on: August 30, 2012, 01:59:14 PM

If you're using Chrome, you should be using right click search by image. I don't know what I ever did without it.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7065 on: August 30, 2012, 03:11:55 PM

Heh.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #7066 on: August 30, 2012, 04:44:59 PM

Fox derail!

What's that? One of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox
Apparently it took a lot fewer generations than they originally expected to domesticate them. It was originally set up to come up with slightly calmer animals for fur farms and they were hoping that maybe, after a few decades of hard work, they'd get some slightly less skittish foxes. What actually happened was noticeable physical changes within ten generations, never mind the behavioural ones.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:48:00 PM by Simond »

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #7067 on: August 30, 2012, 07:13:59 PM

I am not a dog person by any stretch, but I would have a fox pet if it looked like that. The shedding however...  ACK!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #7068 on: August 31, 2012, 07:48:30 AM

Wait, the eagle and fox thing is a PHOTOGRAPH? I thought it was just a  Rock on! painting at first after the earlier discussion.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #7069 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:38 AM

Well now you've made me want to paint that.

Google search now comes up with the follow-up photo. The eagle won. Heartbreak
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:04:05 AM by MuffinMan »

Pages: 1 ... 200 201 [202] 203 204 ... 324 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Awesome Pictures Thread  
Jump to: