Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:18:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Secret Invasion! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Secret Invasion!  (Read 23091 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 12:15:05 PM

Don't worry, he'll turn out to be the real Mar-Vell brainwashed to think that he was a Skrull agent brainwashed to think that he was Mar-Vell. And given shapechanging powers to have it stick.

I mean, come on about the bullshit "I've been planning this for years", Bendis. Look out, the Skrulls have an INSIDIOUS plot that they've been working on for a DECADE. So INSIDIOUS that they decide to have a key agent impersonate a guy who has been notably dead for a very long time, because who would suspect the notably dead guy who miraculously turns out to be alive?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 09:59:07 PM

Don't worry, he'll turn out to be the real Mar-Vell brainwashed to think that he was a Skrull agent brainwashed to think that he was Mar-Vell. And given shapechanging powers to have it stick.

Throw the Scarlet Witch's reality changing powers in there somewhere and we've got a great new book to pitch to Marvel.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 12:38:40 AM

Issue #2 came out Wednesday.  I had to reread it today because I had already completely forgotten everything that happened, and I wanted to double-check and see if anything important had occured in it.  Apparently, nothing did.  This story should not be 8 issues long.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: December 04, 2008, 01:27:27 PM

Sweet fucking Jesus was that story a mess.  The final issue just came out today and... it's just bad.  The first several pages wrap up the battle, but Bendis and Yu are such an ineffective team that almost every page is saturated with exposition either explaining in detail what is actually supposed to be happening in the panels you're looking at (and sometimes even then it still isn't clear), or talking about stuff going on off-panel that they just couldn't be arsed to show.

Then Stark is... somehow able to locate a ship in the Skrull armada, and then does... something or other with his armor to override it, and everyone who was replaced by Skrulls is found alive in this ship (even people like Mockingbird who were long dead) and despite just being through a Skrull invasion they are all instantly assumed to be the real deal.

Somewhere towards the back, one of the Skrulls explains that they were attacking Earth because something happened to all the Skrulls other planets and this was their last chance.  I assume this is supposed to set up some sort of sympathy for the Skrulls and that we'll see the survivors allowed to live on Earth.

Tony gets blamed for the Invasion... for some reason (mostly just as an excuse to change the status quo again).  He's removed from S.H.I.E.L.D. which is getting replaced with something else anyway, and Norman fucking Osborn is given control because... he scored a headshot against the Skrull Queen during the battle?  He takes over Avengers tower and is shown meeting with Dr. Doom, the Hood, Emma Frost, and a couple people I don't recognize.

Incoherent from start to finish, this shit is just a mess.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #39 on: December 04, 2008, 01:55:24 PM

Wait... what? NORMAN OSBORN? THE FUCK? It didn't even make sense to have him be head of the Thunderbolts, much less fucking SHIELD. And all the people replaced by the Skrulls are ALIVE?

What a pussy-ass copout.

EDIT: Just read it. Fuck, that was horrible. Why does he feel like he has to tell every conclusion as 1) a flashback conversation and 2) as the beginning of yet another fucking event series.

Why is Emma Frost among the new "Dark Illuminati?" She's NOT A FUCKING VILLAIN. And Namor wouldn't work with fucking Doctor Doom again for all the fish in the sea. Norman Osborn as the new head of the Avengers just doesn't even pass the smell test.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:21:09 PM by HaemishM »

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 01:58:01 AM

Wow, that sounds so absolutely retarded. I hope some head honcho at Marvel fires everybody involed in that atrocity and they have a bright future of flipping burgers ahead of them.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #41 on: December 05, 2008, 02:27:11 AM

Wow, that sounds so absolutely retarded. I hope some head honcho at Marvel fires everybody involed in that atrocity and they have a bright future of flipping burgers ahead of them.

Sadly, Secret Invasion, as well as New and Might Avengers have all consistently been in the top 10 sales charts  (with SI taking the #1 spot).  Whether it's a matter of most comic fans just not having any taste, if there are just a lot of Marvel fans who feel required to read it in order to keep up with what's going on in the MU, I couldn't guess.

I'll give IGN credit for putting up a fairly negative review, keeping in mind that like their video game reviewing partners, they don't tend to use the first few numbers on the 1-10 scale.  Newsarama on the other hand seems like they're giving the issue the fucking Golden Blowjob award or something in their review, followed by their typical, hard-hitting Q&A with Bendis, where they lob softball questions at him so he can go on and on about all the plot points he apparently doesn't trust his own writing skills to convey through actual stories.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 08:57:23 AM

Oh, and let me not forget the death of the character they put in here. Ab-so-fucking-lutely clownshoes. WHY kill this person and not all the people that got replaced? It served no purpose whatsoever to a long-standing, respected character. It was actually worse than Hawkeye's and Ant-Man's death in regards of going out like a complete punk bitch.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: December 05, 2008, 01:15:40 PM

So is Cap still dead? I have fond memories of MU and quite enjoyed Ultimates but frankly reading about what they've been doing with it makes me never want to touch another Marvel title again.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: December 05, 2008, 02:15:29 PM

Yes. And Bucky is the new Captain America.

Also, the reviews of SI that I've read heap praise on Leniel Yu's artwork. What the fuck are they smoking? This guy's art is at best interesting. As a comic artist, he's terrible at conveying positioning, and his art just keeps getting uglier. His figures actually devolved as the series wore on. Why are people praising him?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #45 on: December 06, 2008, 02:12:19 AM

Yes. And Bucky is the new Captain America.

Also, the reviews of SI that I've read heap praise on Leniel Yu's artwork. What the fuck are they smoking? This guy's art is at best interesting. As a comic artist, he's terrible at conveying positioning, and his art just keeps getting uglier. His figures actually devolved as the series wore on. Why are people praising him?

I don't get the Yu praise either, although I don't imagine it's easy for anyone to make one of Bendis' scripts look good since the guy has no sense of pacing.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #46 on: December 19, 2008, 02:50:36 AM

Behold!  Newsarama's reader vote for comic of 2008!.  Our voting options... Final Crisis (which isn't even finished yet) and Secret Invasion.  Yes, based on the rules were were given...

Remember, as with 'Movie of the Year', we're not asking your solely what your personal favorite series, issue, or story was in particular, but to consider all the relevant factors – sales, 'buzz', impact on other titles, quality, along with your own personal preference to determine what the industry's most impactful comic book(s) of the year was.

... Newsarama apparently saw fit to do us all a favor and cut down our choices to the only two candidates they thought were viable.  why so serious?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: December 19, 2008, 07:43:10 AM

While there was impressive performances by titles such as writer Jeph Loeb's new Hulk series, and Grant Morrison's "Batman RI.P." story arc in Batman

Lolwut? Loeb's Hulk series was 6 issues of RED HULK SMASH!!!!! followed by an absolutely incoherent non-resolution, and Batman RIP was barely interesting enough to be considered for an Elseworlds book with another confusing non-resolution. Final Crisis is clearly a better story, though very muddied, muddled and way too large with too many crossovers, but at least it has better art. Secret Invasion was just trash from start to finish.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Secret Invasion!  
Jump to: