Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:19:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Free Trial? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Free Trial?  (Read 51821 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: February 05, 2008, 09:11:25 AM

I think I'd like to give this a try this week. Is there a free trial system that I am unaware of?

Edit: Think I remember reading something about a refer-a-friend type system?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:30:03 AM by MrHat »
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 01:07:05 PM

Unfortunately, in a stroke of SOEness, because I purchased my (two) copies of the game via the Station store (i.e. direct from Sony) as a download, I'm not allowed to have any buddy keys.

Dumbasses.

edit:  I too, am a dumbass.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:32:12 PM by cevik »

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 01:09:04 PM

Now allowed, or not allowed?
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 01:32:40 PM

Now allowed, or not allowed?

Not, sorry.  I should have two, but I actually have zero! :(

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 04:17:14 PM

I am also looking for a trial key if anyone has any spare. But only if I get to shoot at Hat.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:31:53 PM

I'll take a Trial Key.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 05:45:39 AM

I am also looking for a trial key if anyone has any spare. But only if I get to shoot at Hat.

!!!

Also, I don't think anyone has any keys :(
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 07:26:25 AM

!!!

Also, I don't think anyone has any keys :(

Anyone who purchased the digital download won't have a key (either from Direct2Drive or from the Station store).  I petitioned in an attempt to get a key (after all, it seems like it would be in Sony's best interest to be handing out keys so they could, you know, get more customers) and they said, and I quote "Fuck you newb".

I'm thinking most of the people here downloaded the game (after all, why would any of us leave the house and drive to the store, we're posting on a message board about mmogs).  So probably there are very few, if any, buddy keys..

Stupid fucking Sony.  See schild, this is why it's retarted to be a Sony fanboi, they suck at everything they do.

schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 08:13:47 AM

Stupid fucking Sony.  See schild, this is why it's retarted to be a Sony fanboi, they suck at everything they do.

I'm surprised there are buddy keys at all. It's a brand new game. They had an open beta. I feel sorry for nobody. And you're strange.
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 09:19:14 AM

It would be better to be rid of the buddy keys and trial accounts...it would certainly curtail the gold farmer spambots.

I gotta say, I am not terribly happy about the treatment of the digital download customers. We paid the same price, but got no box, no physical media, no manual, no download codes for goodies, no buddy keys... I understand the need to have a good relationship with brick and mortar retailers, but not taking care of customers who COST YOU LESS MONEY TO DELIVER YOUR PRODUCT TO seems unfair at least.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 09:21:58 AM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 10:42:15 AM

I'm surprised there are buddy keys at all. It's a brand new game. They had an open beta. I feel sorry for nobody. And you're strange.

WoW had buddy keys at launch, they have.. how many subscribers again?

And SOE has, with all their combined games a total of.. how many subscribers again?

schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 10:43:08 AM

Worst. Comparison. Ever.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 10:48:19 AM

Worst. Comparison. Ever.

Yes, it's terrible to compare how a shitty company runs things to a successful one, since it makes the shitty company fanbois weep.  I agree.

EDIT:  Of course, the point is not that buddy keys made WoW.  It's that if you don't take a big steaming shit on your customers at every possible turn you're likely to be a more successful company.  Though I guess we'll never know, since the powers that be at SOE enjoy taking a big steaming shit on their customers more than they like making money.  Which, in a way makes me respect SOE a little, at least they know what they like.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:53:05 AM by cevik »

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 11:00:37 AM

I'm not seeing where the big steaming shit is.

Woo hoo.

Buddy Keys.

Meh.

There are better things to bitch and moan about.
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 11:04:08 AM

I'm not seeing where the big steaming shit is.

Of course you don't schild, of course you don't.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 11:26:38 AM

There are better things to bitch and moan about.

I'd love the chance to do so without dumping $50 on it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 12:26:03 PM

You should think about games how I think about games these days.

If I need a demo to decide, I'm not going to be playing it.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 01:00:51 PM

You should think about games how I think about games these days.

If I need a demo to decide, I'm not going to be playing it.

I don't contain the correct level of fiscal irresponsibility to think about games the way you think about games.
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 01:52:03 PM

I didn't buy Pirates.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 02:31:14 PM

I bought a box from a retail store, and got all the fun goodies including a Buddy Key... Too bad I gave it to an actual buddy, who also bought a box and passed his buddy key on to the other RL friend who used to be part of our EQ group in the early days.

So, it looks like all you beggars are just gonna need to go spend the price of 5-6 movies in the theater to play this game.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: February 06, 2008, 02:34:15 PM

I gots two keys. PMs sent to Hat and Morphiend, just because they were first who asked.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 06, 2008, 03:27:23 PM

If you think trials and buddy keys are a bad idea, then you have a narrow view of the type of customers this game needs to appeal to, or have never run anything where a trial program can turn into a sale.

Why do you think WoW is putting so much effort into getting people into Blizzard's game faster and more efficiently?

I want to try Pirates.   I *really* do.  It might even lead to a purchase.  If I bought the game and didn't like it? It'd be spiteful towards the company and probably wouldn't pick up future products.  If I could try something out for free and didn't like? I'd be "meh", but I'd be appreciative that they have a free trial.

Open Beta as trial? Psht.  Ok, let's invite people to try our game in a pre-release state that could have possible game-wracking bugs or can't transfer their character to the live environment if they want to buy our product.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: February 06, 2008, 03:43:17 PM

Please note: The pre-order for this game was a free trial, where you could keep your characters, it just required you paying a refundable $5-10 which you could cancel or apply toward an actual purchase.

You are 4 weeks late for this now, and the game has released.. so either buy the game, or wait patiently for a freebie offer if you don't have a buddy with a key.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 04:10:31 PM

Well I ain't begging for one.  If I get one, nice, I'll check it out.  But if none comes my way, that's one less potential customer they have.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 11:59:48 PM

... they said, and I quote "Fuck you newb".
ACK!

also lol @ trialkeys=bad idea

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
cevik
I'm Special

Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 07:54:00 AM

... they said, and I quote "Fuck you newb".
ACK!

There is a chance that my memory may be a bit hazy on the actual quote.  I may have been on my 5th rum and coke.

Maybe.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 07:55:53 AM

I don't understand how trial keys can be anything but good.
WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 08:08:18 AM

My only concern with trial keys is making it that much easier for gold sellers to get accounts with which to spam me. They should go the WoW route and disallow trials from sending /tells to anyone without prior contact.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 08:17:52 AM

If anyone still needs/wants a buddy key, PM me and let me know.  I won't be able to send it to you until tonight, however.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 08:37:31 AM

My only concern with trial keys is making it that much easier for gold sellers to get accounts with which to spam me. They should go the WoW route and disallow trials from sending /tells to anyone without prior contact.

Yes, at this point the industry should be smart enough where they take appropriate counter-measures to make sure Trial Accounts aren't abused.  I'm not advocating full access Trials.  Let me play the game and see if I like it so that I can evaluate whether I want to be a customer or not.

Edit: Pfft.  I forgot I have coworkers who play.  Well, I'll ask them first.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:39:20 AM by Lorekeep »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 09:45:40 AM

Yes, at this point the industry should be smart enough where they take appropriate counter-measures to make sure Trial Accounts aren't abused. 

Three words.

Sony Online Entertainment. That is all.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 09:47:19 AM

Three words.

Sony Online Entertainment. That is all.

That was six words.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 09:48:54 AM

I knew I should have put in a line break.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 10, 2008, 02:21:17 PM

Hmm.  Apparently my friends are living in the digital age and all bought the Downloadable version.  That doesn't come with a Trial.  And costs as much as a box copy.

Progress!

Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 11, 2008, 03:16:50 PM

Hmm.  Apparently my friends are living in the digital age and all bought the Downloadable version.  That doesn't come with a Trial.  And costs as much as a box copy.

Progress!

RL storage space is costly
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Pirates of the Burning Sea  |  Topic: Free Trial?  
Jump to: