Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:06:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Red Dead Revolver - Rock Star San Diego - Xbox/PS2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead Revolver - Rock Star San Diego - Xbox/PS2  (Read 7606 times)
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

on: February 04, 2008, 05:35:33 PM

I will get this out of the way first. I love Red Dead Revolver. I liked it the moment I played it and as time passed I grew to love the hell out of it. Red Dead Revolver started out as a Capcom Game and was a sort of zombie/western b-movie action game. Rock Star San Diego picked it up when Capcom pulled the plug on it and kept the main character Red Harlow and a handful of the character concepts which were thrown together by none other than Capcom's own Akira Yasuda, (character design for titles such as Street Fighter Alpha 3, Street Fighter 3, Final Fight, Dark Stalkers, Marvel Vs. Series, and Red Earth, this kind of shows Capcom's initial commitment/investment into the character) Once Rock Star got a hold of the game a lot of things changed, such as the plot, presentation and game play style. Rock Star decided to make the game a sort of amalgam of spaghetti western clichés and homage’s. Any fan of the genre immediately notices similarities to movies and western movie character types like the main character's resemblance to Clint Eastwood, the Quick and the Dead  showdown contest Etc. The game spins a decent yarn about murder, betrayal and six gun justice. The game reeks of old west silliness and bad assery from its toned down color pallet and sepia tone images to its unrelenting focus on shootouts and fun fights. The whole game is wrapped up with an absolute awesome spaghetti western soundtrack from various classic Italian movies like The Gunman of Ave Maria Etc. It really couldn't have picked better music.   

The game consists mostly of a single player story mode that is decent in length and has multiple difficulty levels. The game is broken down in levels which can be replayed to raise sores for particular levels and unlock bonus content. A lot of the content comes in the form of a scrapbook style journal that has pages added to it every time you complete certain objectives or buy random items in the games shops. What is cool is that every single character in the game has a page in the journal and it gives the player a little insight to the characters, events and locals in the game. It gives it a sort of Shenmue style collect all the stuff quality that doesn't overstay its welcome and is actually cool to look over from time to time.

The game play is standard 3rd person action but it focuses heavily on gun play and encourages a lot of duck and cover aspects. There is a lot of junk to hide behind and the AI plays along by running to cover and kick tables over and what not. The actual gun play is pretty fun in that all the guns in the game behave a little differently and look different and appear differently on the player model. The player can choose to have a normal six shooter, a big honking hand cannon or double six shooters as well as outfitting with various rifles the are broken down into medium - long range and they each have their own fell to them as well. There are small explosives and melee weapons as well and some weapons have little extras like the bayonet rifle which can be used as a melee weapon to stab enemies and then allows the player to shoot right after adding more damage. The game also has various game play variations like horse riding, machine gun turret control and a really nifty bullet time-esque "dead eye power" that allows you to unload a clip on an enemy as you move a slow motion reticule over their body. It refills like a super in a fighting game and if you are whooping a lot of ass it actually works that way and rarely makes the game look or feel silly. There is also a really cool gun fighting mechanic which adds a cool mini-game that is used through out the game to settle certain situations and during the dueling contest. It is the closest we will get to gun dueling in a game aside from the arcade Mad Dog McCree which used a light gun and holster. It actually works really well once you get use to it and is reused later in the game in the multi-player mode.

The other portion of the game, which unfortunately gets very little play is the surprisingly extensive multi-player mode. As the player unlocks stuff in the game, various pages in the journal are filled and many of them add something to the multi-player mode. Every level in the game is available and as you get journal pages for enemies and characters they are added to the roster of selectable characters. It is very reminisent of Goldeneye 007 on the Nintendo 64, except all the characters have some sort of back story and specific weapons they use. This makes them all play differently, some are fast and tiny or big and slow and they all take   different amounts of damage. They also each have access to that "Dead Eye" technique but each character has a different "super" so it really adds some strategy to multi-player portion of the game. Players can play in normal and team death match, a bounty mode and show down mode where they duel real time just like the main game. It sounds silly but it plays really well especially if you play with people who can duel well in that game. There is even 3 and 4 player dueling which can get pretty crazy.

I think there is a lot to like with this game. It has its share of control and camera issues but it really shines in the presentation and content.

- Buy It
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 08:23:21 AM by HAMMER FRENZY »

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 07:37:16 PM

What he said. Buy it. Kickass game. Unfortunately the only wild west game worth buying in what, I don't know, the past 20 years? Which is a damn shame.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 07:08:38 AM

Yeah, that one got by me. I love the italian westerns, but it's a console shooter. I don't play shooters with thumbsticks.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 12:19:42 PM

I recently picked this up on XBox, since it's listed as backwards-compatable. Seems good, but oh-so-glitchy. I might BiiF it myself (OH NOES TEH ULTIMATE SIN) at some stage if I ever get around to playing it.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 01:13:51 PM

Grammar snake is angry at your second sentence and made me go  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

But yeah, this is something to certainly pick up for a night of fun if you haven't played it yet.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 03:31:20 PM

Yeah, that one got by me. I love the italian westerns, but it's a console shooter. I don't play shooters with thumbsticks.

It's an action adventure game, with 3rd person movements perfect for controllers. It's not that kind of shooter. There are fps aspects, but it doesn't revolve around that. If you have any of the older consoles, you could probably find it for 10 bucks. Wouldn't hurt to try.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 03:35:10 PM

I picked this up a while back when I raided a Gamestop 2 for 1 deal on used games.   I heard it mentioned here somewhere, sometime.. so I just added it to the pile. 

-Rasix
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 10:15:19 PM

Grammar snake is angry at your second sentence and made me go  DRILLING AND MANLINESS.

But yeah, this is something to certainly pick up for a night of fun if you haven't played it yet.

Yes, aside from the deliberate manglings, I missed a comma. I'm a teacher, I do this shit for a living so forgive me if I care less when I'm not at work.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 05:06:58 AM

Unfortunately the only wild west game worth buying in what, I don't know, the past 20 years? Which is a damn shame.

GUN was awesome as well.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 05:09:52 AM

I thought Gun started off good, but bored me eventually. Like Assassin's Creed.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 06:52:43 AM

The graphics and controls conspired to make Gun not fun. And I got it free from my father. He loves console shooters and has given me about a dozen games I don't play, Splinter Cell, Hitman, all kinds of stuff that looks really cool apart from the shitty graphics and controls.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 08:22:19 AM

I honestly think that GUN was not that good. It was a poorly made sandbox western. I think that is all ways minus visuals, RDR just trounces that game. I really enjoy RDR while I avoid GUN like the plague. I just can't get into that game. IT really did have some nice models though.

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 01:25:59 PM

Yes, aside from the deliberate manglings, I missed a comma. I'm a teacher, I do this shit for a living so forgive me if I care less when I'm not at work.

Was directed at OP, not you. :D

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 03:47:46 PM

I picked up GUN as well when steam had it for half-off (impluse purchases FTW!). Haven't even loaded it yet but will liklely BiiF that if I ever play it as well.

That's the beauty of BiiF to me, when I start playing something new, I can just take 20mins at some point when I'm a few hours in and write up a mini-review of it. Then come back and trash it later.  awesome, for real

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 06:30:27 AM

Anyone play Call of Juarez?
schild
Administrator

Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 07:28:21 AM

Call of Juarez is one of those games that could have been good, but shite game mechanics killed it. Also the set pieces were sloppy as hell.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 09:09:03 AM

I am actually playing Call right now. It is kinda muh. NOt too hot, not too good, just kinda in between. I think that I will try to finish it but I am not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed RDR.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 09:27:46 AM

The demo for Call was absolutely terrible. I can't imagine the full game being much better, especially reading that there's a lot of poorly designed stealth play intermixed.

-Rasix
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 09:32:09 AM

Yeah it is pretty dull all around. I like the idea of playing the chaser and the runner, but it is all pretty loosely put together.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Red Dead Revolver - Rock Star San Diego - Xbox/PS2  
Jump to: