Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Titan Quest - Iron Lore Entertainment Ltd. - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Titan Quest - Iron Lore Entertainment Ltd. - PC  (Read 4694 times)
schild
Administrator

on: February 02, 2008, 11:18:12 PM

Well, it's been reviewed (Edit by schild: Indeed, plz don't read it) and talked about here on F13 before. It even had it's own subforum, which has been shifted down to the gaming graveyard. I bought this thing a year ago, but never got around to playing it until a couple of days ago, after buying Immortal Throne. As such, it's basically a BiiF of the unexpanded game, despite the extra class. I'm playing it in LAN mode with my wife, so that's the perspective this is being written from. And for.. well, I guess for those few f13ers who've had little or no exposure to it.

Well, so far it's kinda fun, and it does have an awful lot of that Diablo 2 feel to it. Much moreso than Dungeon Siege, which just lacked ...something. TQ has the familiar skill trees that seem popular in this genre, as do Diablo/2/Mythos and of course World of Warcraft. It's still essentially very simple, as you click-click-click your way around a fantasy landscape, slaughtering endless beastmen and centaurs, pigs and birds and skeletons. The most interesting mobs I've so far seen have been the two bosses - the Cyclops and a Spider Queen, though the

Cyclops fight was silly until I found I could just plink away with my bow at max range while it stood there till it died, and the Spider queen was essentially just a bigger bag of hitpoints. Given the nature of the game being essentially click-click-click, I'm not sure if the boss fights will become any more tactical at any point. I'm sure they'll be prettier though.

So, well, it is fun so far, but it's not an engrossing, deep fun. I started an alt to explore a different class, but quickly grew bored with going through the same areas again. It's a very Diablo game, but then again I was never a Diablo-4-lifer. Since I'm playing it in a duo fashion, and because the game is very simple, we'll (probably) end up finishing both the basic and IT campaigns. If I were SPing my way through, I'd probably end up taking a break from it and then never coming back to it (like I did somewhere deep into D2:LoD).

On a positive note, the multiplayer on this thing seems to work well. LAN games at least are a breeze and I was easily able to join games being hosted as far away as France with no issues (I'm in Australia). The downside is that it's no Battle.net as far as finding games running goes, but then again your characters can play online or offline and don't get deleted after 90 days of inactivity (as have all my D2 characters).

So anyway, it's a D2 clone, and it's simple fun. It looks damned nice, and it can be bought pretty cheap these days.

-

Download the Demo.

Sent in by Azazel.

Edit: Fixed a typo that showed up on the frontpage)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 03:16:43 AM by schild »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 03:09:49 AM

And you won't know that you're gimped and have made the game unfun until the final boss.

swamp poop

Avoid.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 10:10:03 AM

I don't follow you.  Did you beat the final boss too easily, or was it impossible?  I found it pretty challenging each time I fought him and had to really work hard to win.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 01:23:38 PM

I can understand that - I had to respec to beat a couple of bosses and I wound up cheesing the final boss by running in a big circle and using my pet to kill him.  I don't think I was even on the same screen for most of the figth. 

Evidently it's possible to be a legendary mythic creature and not know about leading your aim  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The loot is fun but there comes a point when upgrades are infrequent and cash is overflowing.  Then the game is purely about finishing.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 03:16:24 PM

A biif that doesn't mention the joys of knockback + ragdoll physics?  For fucking shame.

P.S.  Gimping yourself is way too easy, I found random chunks frustrating as a result.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 10:04:33 PM

A biif that doesn't mention the joys of knockback + ragdoll physics?  For fucking shame.

Yeah, that's entertaining when it happens, but it's just an extra bit of polish, y'know?

And you won't know that you're gimped and have made the game unfun until the final boss.
Avoid.

Meh, if I have fun getting there (and it's been fun so far) then I'll either respec our characters or just uninstall. You know, I enjoy the levelling/questing part of WoW but have little interest in the 70 game. So I stopped. This can be the same if it comes to it.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 11:53:28 PM

My first play through was an archer that hid behind a golem.  Worked great until the Orient when the ice dragons were able to dominate the golem and then focus on fragile ol' me.  The final boss never really gave me any trouble, though.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 12:48:26 AM

Since I'm duoing, it might not be an issue.

I'm an, um.. DPS warrior/dream, while she is Hunter/Druid (with heals and a little dog)

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 04:00:02 AM

For anyone who actually gives a crap about my problems with the game, I suggest the Titan Quest forum.

awesome, for real

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Titan Quest - Iron Lore Entertainment Ltd. - PC  
Jump to: