Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:34:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Yearly Bruce news roundup 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yearly Bruce news roundup  (Read 10488 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

on: January 25, 2008, 06:09:26 PM

www.mmogchart.com got updated.

So, a lot of you have emailed me over the past year wondering what’s up with the site and if it will ever be updated again.  I haven’t responded to your many queries, mainly because I didn’t know the answer.  I’ve spent much of the past several months doing consulting for various MMOG startups, and I’ve also spent time working on my own non-MMOG projects.

I'm going with Ice Age MMO, and...Age of Conan.  Just a feeling.

The combination of the two, plus the fact that MMOG subscription numbers are harder to get than they used to be, has made continuing my research cost-prohibitive.
The truth is, I’d love to get back to doing MMOGCHART.COM all the time.  But without a corporate sponsorship or some company willing to hire me full-time to just do my MMOG research and reporting, that’s just not going to happen. Many of you have contributed generously via PayPal, and I thank you for that, but that’s not really a steady income.  I’ve also been interested in actually working for one of the many fine MMO companies out there, but any such company would have to be willing to understand and accommodate the possible conflicts of interest that could come with me continuing my research on the side.

It would really increase the cache of F13 in the gaming community to have our own paid industry analyst. 

So what happens next still remains to be seen.  I will be looking at updating the site again when I can, although it also needs a big Web 2.0 overhaul.  I also hope to be going to the 2008 Game Developer’s Conference in February, assuming I can afford it.  Beyond that, it’s just a matter of whether or not I’ll have a job that will allow me to continue this site for the benefit of the MMOG community.

Afford it?  Wasn't he independently wealthy or something?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 06:11:38 PM

I can't say that doing this research should cost a dime.

Like, not a single dime.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 06:15:12 PM

Like, not a single dime.

And I'm really fucking sick of all this Web 2.0 blather… …WTF, it's a freaking chart with numbers… …what does he want, animated popups of furry toons? Real time updates in AJAX, ringing a bell every time a subscriber logs in to WoW…?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 06:30:33 PM

Isn't web 2.0 the chart having sex with an underaged furry in Second Life?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 08:17:20 PM

So what happens next still remains to be seen.  I will be looking at updating the site again when I can, although it also needs a big Web 2.0 overhaul.  I also hope to be going to the 2008 Game Developer’s Conference in February, assuming I can afford it.  Beyond that, it’s just a matter of whether or not I’ll have a job that will allow me to continue this site for the benefit of the MMOG community.

Afford it?  Wasn't he independently wealthy or something?

That was always his story, yes. But he invested a chunk of that into WW2OL..  Then there's the way the wealthy STAY wealthy.. by not pissing it all away doing shit without getting paid for it.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 09:22:00 PM

I'm sure his research costs about 50 cents worth of electricity a month, not the mention the opportunity cost of updating the chart instead of sitting in his underwear jerking off to sexual harrassment panda.

Serious question: why would anyone hire Bruce as a consultant? What expertise does he supposedly bring to the table?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 04:33:30 AM

It was Time cost probably, not money. And maybe hits on his site, because so many other sites hit on his numbers by there being no other site.

Regardless, I suspect the deeper reason is that it's a hell of a lot harder to get those numbers today than it was four years ago. Publishers got smart, found all ways to report numbers that mattered to their stock/stakeholders that didn't distill down to flat-monthly-fee folks. And the genre itself has changed a lot too. For example, there is no good way to do a straight comparison between Auditon (120mil users in a really cheap game and no idea how many people play or pay regularly) and WoW (10mil monthly-fee-payers in a really expensive game).

If he's at any company, I suspect he's at Virtual World News. They're trying, can't fault them for that. But they're trying to show people how on top of things they are by showing huge growth, and doing so by drawing in the wrong numbers. Reminds me of a number of debates with him around here...
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 05:32:11 AM

I'm sure his research costs about 50 cents worth of electricity a month, not the mention the opportunity cost of updating the chart instead of sitting in his underwear jerking off to sexual harrassment panda.

Serious question: why would anyone hire Bruce as a consultant? What expertise does he supposedly bring to the table?

I can picture some guy with a bunch of VC money going "ZOMG HE KNOWS ALL THE NUMBERS FOR EVERY GAME!" and not caring that Bruce is full of shit.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 07:02:43 AM

I can picture some guy with a bunch of VC money going "ZOMG HE KNOWS ALL THE NUMBERS FOR EVERY GAME!" and not caring that Bruce is full of shit.

In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. Regardless of the accuracy of his statements.

Seriously - I'd say $100 a year would top out the costs of running the website (minus monthly ISP costs, but you need that for the internet anyway, so it's almost a utility cost). Research is relatively easy - even easier if he hosts a forum where he gets people to post up the numbers they find.

Also, as more companies go public, so should their player numbers. It doesn't matter if the numbers are 100% accurate or even off the same base provided that the research labels them correctly. But the numbers on their own don't mean much - it's the interpretation of those numbers and the 'why' that is worth something. I don't know SirBruce well enough to know how good his analytical ability is for such things.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 09:53:34 AM

Isn't web 2.0 the chart having sex with an underaged furry in Second Life?
That's 1.0. Web 2.0 is when said furries take pictures of said sex and post it on the chart web page.

my what do we have here?
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 02:10:38 PM

Also, as more companies go public, so should their player numbers.

Not necessarily. This is about money (duh). If you have a number of methods for getting it (box sales + subs + ingame adverts or xtrans), you only really need to report the revenue. Or if you're a freebie MMO, you can do the "registered users" + revenue thing, without ever reporting the sort of things the average pundit wants to hear (how many people are playing it seriously and how much do they convert into cash). There's no reason for companies to report numbers in an easily comparable way, which makes analyzing the growing pool of such numbers even harder.

And that is one of the reasons why Virtual World News has to invent irrelevant comparisons just to show a number.

Nah, dollar-wise, the research itself isn't costly. But it was only "cheap" time wise when the 8 or so games he used to focus on all reported things the same way. That only works in a world without Korean MMOs, any xtrans game, and where everyone is open about their upfront development and ongoing costs. Or, in other words, doesn't work.

MMOs have evolved beyond the easily-measured hobbiest thing into real business. This is why we have companies like NPD and DFC. And even they have blindspots and miss things.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 07:14:46 PM

That may be true, but I, too, think that he just wants to be paid, so he can eat.  More or less, "Ok, I'm gonna get a real job, gonna be too busy to continue doing this; if you guys want me to continue, pay me.  Anyone?  No?  Ok bye."
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 07:23:28 PM

Shouldn't of blown all his money on WWIIOL.

Any analyst can tell you that wasn't a sound investment just based on the name of the game.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 11:22:29 AM

Anyone have the story on why he thought WWIIO was the one to invest in? I remember that he did, and of course we all lived the history of beta through live. But I never could understand why he thought that was going to be all that. Was it the unique theme (which sadly would still be unique even today)? The concept of an MMOFPS?

And yea, I figure he'd be the only one who knows the whole truth. But I figured he'd also have publicly stated why here or at WT.o or whatever too. I'm just wildly curious because as you said, any random poster could have pointed out why to not invest in it, much less self-styled and/or actual analysts.

Edit: grammar
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 12:09:51 PM

Well, I can't cast any stones at Bruce for WWIIOL.  It was the MMO that I had anticipated the most and I can vividly remember building a new box and tweaking the hell out of it to try and get my WWIIOL framerates up. 

Can someone explain to me why sub numbers are such a black box affair in the gamign industry?  You'd think that it would be something that investors would want to know in some kind of financial statement. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 12:43:13 PM

Numbers are generally reported during the good times, massaged when not. Investors want to know these things of course. However, most external investment is for new titles, trying to measure precedent from titles already out. Imagine you're a publisher of an existing title. How interested are you in telling your upcoming competition how good (or not) you're doing?

Launched titles meanwhile are generally more internal affairs, asking management for more money, asking the publisher for more money, for a game that's already out. It gets hazy when you have a game that's already out trying to stretch into a new market or territory. But now you're in the middle: you have your own numbers to report to management and are trying to get numbers from your competition.

This is why I've long wondered about pundits (not you, but the media in general) keep demanding/asking for some sort of unified measure of success. That certainly helps reporting. But how does that help a company? Per above, sure it'd help new companies. What benefit is it to companies with games already launched that already know their growth isn't a series of spiked events going forward?

Other industries have their own reporting methods, but many of the consumer goods ones are similarly voluntary, with similar arguments for and against their relevance.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 06:52:29 PM

But Hunt's Ketchup freely admits to being #2 in the marketplace (despite being a superior product for everything but french fries).

And you can find the data.....http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/villas/mba299m/JMR2005.pdf

MMOG's are...perhaps still in their market infancy.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 07:13:57 PM

MMOFPS was a pretty nifty idea when it came out. Plus, the idea was being thrown around a little after Saving Private Ryan or something, right? I guess I can see why he got so stoked about it.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 07:56:53 PM

Someone should make a documentary about this guy.  It would be fascinatingly creeped.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 08:27:49 PM

Someone should make a documentary about this guy.  It would be fascinatingly creeped.

Believe me, he's not the creepiest this community has ever seen.  Ever heard of Whamadoodles Online?

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 09:04:38 PM

So he's still around? I also like how his explanation for lack of updates was basically him begging for a corporate sponsor or for someone to hire him.

"You, we need you and your MOUS certification in Excel to make some chartzzz."

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 09:31:01 PM

And I'm really fucking sick of all this Web 2.0 blather… …WTF, it's a freaking chart with numbers… …what does he want, animated popups of furry toons? Real time updates in AJAX, ringing a bell every time a subscriber logs in to WoW…?

No no no. That's not 2.0 at all man. It's not blather it's BlathR. Keep up!

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 09:34:00 PM

Was it the unique theme (which sadly would still be unique even today)? The concept of an MMOFPS?

?

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 09:43:37 PM

No no no. That's not 2.0 at all man. It's not blather it's BlathR. Keep up!

You almost got it.

Blathr.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #24 on: January 28, 2008, 12:20:38 AM

blathr

Web 2.0 doesn't believe in capitalization.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #25 on: January 28, 2008, 12:45:22 AM

Believe me, he's not the creepiest this community has ever seen.  Ever heard of Whamadoodles Online?

No, but I just googled it.  A parody?  In the words of Marvin Gaye, "Ain't nothin' like the real thing baaaaaaby!"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 28, 2008, 02:02:45 AM

Was it the unique theme (which sadly would still be unique even today)? The concept of an MMOFPS?

?

No having fucking elves makes it almost unique, no elves *and* set in the past takes you over the line.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 28, 2008, 03:00:59 AM

?

No having fucking elves makes it almost unique, no elves *and* set in the past takes you over the line.

Naw, I was wondering why Planetside doesn't count as a MMOFPS...

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 04:18:44 AM

?

I think that was two seperate questions. Unique theme..... and an MMOFPS. Not Unique theme that was MMOFPS. Plus WW2OL was 2 years prior to PS.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 28, 2008, 05:20:27 AM

?

I think that was two seperate questions. Unique theme..... and an MMOFPS. Not Unique theme that was MMOFPS. Plus WW2OL was 2 years prior to PS.

I think I see that now. Nested quotes and shit make me confused and sad.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #30 on: January 28, 2008, 05:36:57 AM

Can someone explain to me why sub numbers are such a black box affair in the gamign industry?  You'd think that it would be something that investors would want to know in some kind of financial statement. 
The same reason why companies like Microsoft don't break out the financials for the Xbox -- it's a small part of their business and it's not required. To put it another way the companies that do report numbers are 1) public, 2) primarily MMO companies. There are no US companies like that. SOE is part of Sony Pictures which is part of Sony. Turbine is private. Mythic was private but now part of EA, which is not primarily an MMO company. And so on. If you look over at Asia, there are a number of companies that meet the above two criteria and they do in fact report their numbers.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 28, 2008, 05:57:04 AM

?

I think I see that now. Nested quotes and shit make me confused and sad.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I'm sorry to hear that. Have a cookie, you'll feel better.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 28, 2008, 06:00:43 AM

?

I'm sorry to hear that. Have a cookie, you'll feel better.

I like cookies.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 28, 2008, 06:01:52 AM

?

PS launched two years after WWIIO.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #34 on: January 28, 2008, 09:33:46 AM

It will change. The MMOG industry is young yet. Phone companies, cable companies, satellite TV companies, Netflix, etc. all report subscriber numbers regulary as part of being public. Once the Activision-Blizzard deal closes, you will have one large public company regulary reporting sub numbers and the tredn will grow from there. It would help if EA could get its MMOGless ass into the game in a more significant way. I predict that EA will report aggregate subscriber numbers for both MMOGs once WAR launches. Microsoft reports XBLive subscribers readily enough. It will happen.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Yearly Bruce news roundup  
Jump to: