Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:06:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, the news I mentioned in another thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, the news I mentioned in another thread.  (Read 12737 times)
schild
Administrator

on: October 11, 2004, 01:28:01 PM

I know a lot of you liked Rise of Nations. Well, I work at Big Huge Games now. Which puts 2 of the administrators at f13 working at game companies (Joe at Themis). Obviously I won't be talking about what I'm doing here, but I felt it would be the right thing to do by letting you all know...even though it's none of your business.

Insert Wild Speculation below. I expect a certain other group of people will be donning their tinfoil hats right about..........................now.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 01:29:29 PM

I will be the first to say, handouts will be appreciated.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 01:37:23 PM

Quote from: Paelos

Heh.
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 01:40:26 PM

Doubtful that anyone is surprised that someone who enjoys gaming ends up working at a game company.  Jealous maybe or maybe not depending on the game/company.  ;)   Anyway, congrats!

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
jwinston2
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:58:56 PM

congrats, rise of nations was a great game, well I enjoyed it at least. I have some friends who swear it is the best rts ever.

anyway anytime you get mad at the copy machine and can't find your red stapler just slip here and give us some goods.

One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continuously stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 02:19:26 PM

Congrats.

(random office space note: Swingline didnt even make a red stapler before the movie but afterwards demand was so high they came out with a red model and its one of their best selling products.)

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 03:14:41 PM

Great, now you can tell Brian to get the hell back to Firaxis to work on Alpha Centauri 2.

That being said, congrats to the job. I hope you get well paid and have alot of fun.

Wiiiiii!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 03:43:04 PM

What kinds of things will you be doing from a big picture point of view. (IE QA, programming, etc).

In any case, congrats. I'm a little...ok....alot jealous.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 04:07:26 PM

So, where are you?

Congrats, as someone who gets paid well to pursue my hobby I can only feel happy for anybody else being so lucky. And it looks like a good company to work for (good games, good track record, bright future ahead and good benefits - which signing package did you choose? I must now go to my boss and demand a X-box)

Edit: Added linky to make a point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 04:24:10 PM

Congrats on the job, schild!

Although I find it hard to believe there's actually a city called Timonium in  Maryland (or anywhere else outside of a sci-fi novel).

Bruce
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 05:04:05 PM

Quote from: schild
Insert Wild Speculation below. I expect a certain other group of people will be donning their tinfoil hats right about..........................now.

So, when do the banner ads go up?
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 05:06:31 PM

Quote from: Morphiend

What good do banner ads do when there's a corporate shill in the forums? Seriously though, my work won't interfere. It's so far removed from what we discuss here that you won't notice a change. Other than me knowing how game development works from the inside.

Edit: Didn't like the wording.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 05:27:24 PM

What good do banner ads do when there's a corporate shill in the forums? Seriously though, my work won't interfere. It's so far removed from what we discuss here that you won't notice a change. Other than me knowing how game development works from the inside.

Edit: Didn't like the wording.

I was pretty sure your 'big announcement' was going to be that f13.net is going a bit more mainstream w/ advertisments and "donate here" buttons going up everywhere.

You wanna tell us all how, in your opinion, the gaming industry works from the inside?

Edit.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 05:32:15 PM

Quote from: MrHat
You wanna tell us all how, in your opinion, the gaming industry works from the inside?

It's magical. Or something.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 08:27:37 PM

Schild - Gratz on getting a position in the industry of your passion.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Aenovae
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 11, 2004, 08:41:46 PM

Congrats on getting your foot in the door!

Now tell us what job position you accepted.  Are you a programmer, designer, artist, tester, webmonkey, producer, or janitor?  (Ordering intentional.)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: October 11, 2004, 08:59:14 PM

Oh good... people can now hate you for taking over this forum, not getting a much coveted EQ2 beta invite and having a job in a field that most here would give their toes to have.  Except me, of course.  I brought you here, I have a beta account and the only job I would even consider, at this point in my life, is a test driver for Ferarri.

I knew you would probably land a magical job as I've always suspected your head is filled with fairy dust.

CONGRATS! :)

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 12, 2004, 04:33:59 AM

I think we can all agree when I say "OK GET TO WORK IN SMAC 2!"

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: October 12, 2004, 05:24:08 AM

Quote from: Signe
Oh good... people can now hate you for taking over this forum, not getting a much coveted EQ2 beta invite and having a job in a field that most here would give their toes to have.  Except me, of course.  I brought you here, I have a beta account and the only job I would even consider, at this point in my life, is a test driver for Ferarri.

I knew you would probably land a magical job as I've always suspected your head is filled with fairy dust.

CONGRATS! :)

I swear she's my long lost twin. Except I was thinking of testing Lotus or Lamborghini. You wouldn't have to twist my arm to test drive a Bentley concept car either. ;)

But back on topic...

Congratulations on the job, schild. Do good work and make good games.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Xilren's Twin

Reply #19 on: October 12, 2004, 06:44:58 AM

While I have offered my congatulations and threats of kidnapping and identity theft elsewhere, let me be the first to say..

"Sellout!"

Now that form has been satsfied, carry on.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #20 on: October 12, 2004, 06:56:36 AM

This had better make the world a better place Mr. Schild. For gamers, this is far too serious a role for you to take a typical American work ethic to. We expect nothing less than total commitment, brilliance, a puritan work ethic and the adoption of whatever ideas we consider important on a given day. If the company you work for produces anything less than something which will give us all personal access to literal nirvana, we will of course blame you and only you. That said, congratulations.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #21 on: October 12, 2004, 08:26:44 AM

Quote from: Rodent
Great, now you can tell Brian to get the hell back to Firaxis to work on Alpha Centauri 2.

That being said, congrats to the job. I hope you get well paid and have alot of fun.

I echo all these sentiments.

And always remember my two questions, in case you DO have to make more RTS crap (TBS FOREVAH):

1. Does it allow for pausing and giving out orders?
2. Can you slow down gametime?

;) Now get your bitchass in the kitchen and make us some SMAC2! (Or Colonization 2)
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #22 on: October 12, 2004, 09:19:47 AM

From one guy working in a service industry where people get too close and too attached to little details and have huge emotional hissy fits over small, easily repaired problems to a guy in another with the same problem, let me say....

May you never have to deal with the public.

Grats.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #23 on: October 12, 2004, 09:55:37 AM

Grats, Schild! Now make with the free lewts.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: October 12, 2004, 11:00:06 AM

Rise of Nations is one of two games that I have added to the ghosting image of my hard drive.

The other is Civ III.

unbannable
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 12, 2004, 11:01:59 AM

What good do banner ads do when there's a corporate shild in the forums?

Fix it for you(tm)

unbannable
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: October 12, 2004, 11:10:20 AM

Yes, Rise of Nations was what prompted me to apply there. Well that and the lead dev.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 12, 2004, 11:51:03 AM

What's your job title? (without getting into specifics)

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: October 12, 2004, 11:58:02 AM

New fish.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 12, 2004, 12:04:41 PM

Best of luck.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #30 on: October 12, 2004, 12:19:37 PM

New fish.

Is that like a Newfie?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 12, 2004, 12:25:19 PM

I think it's one step away from being a shower rapie.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 12, 2004, 01:43:44 PM

New fish.

You're an intern?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Shavnir
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: October 12, 2004, 02:28:06 PM

Quote from: Paelos

I beat you to it by a good half week or so ;)

And if my guess is right new fish is a few steps below intern.  The interns have bios ;)
schild
Administrator

Reply #34 on: October 12, 2004, 03:04:33 PM

My bio goes up tomorrow. LIke I said, I'm new.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, the news I mentioned in another thread.  
Jump to: