Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:55:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Rampage: Total Destruction - Pipeworks - Wii 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rampage: Total Destruction - Pipeworks - Wii  (Read 2813 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: January 17, 2008, 12:09:41 PM

I'll start this off by saying I'm a big fan of the original Rampage (I went so far as to put it in my all-time top 20).  For those unfamiliar with the premise: it's a platformer in which you play as a giant monster who eats people and demolishes buildings.  Each level is a city block; once you've flattened every building, you move on to the next level.  You regain health for eating people and food, and lose health when people shoot you.  Oh, and co-op-ish multiplayer with everyone on the same screen, either cooperating or beating each other up as they choose.

This remake doesn't try to change the formula too much.  It's got the requisite Wii waggle, but nothing too obnoxious; you shake up and down to do an overhand bash, and you shake back and forth to swipe or grab.  Everything else is standard button/analog control.  The game is 3D now but it retains the cartoony character of the original; the only gameplay difference this brings is that the playing field has an extra axis (depth), and you can now clamber around the front of buildings as well as shinny up the sides.  There are also a few minor extras, such as special 'achievements' in each level like "eat 10 people" or "destroy 5 garbage trucks", unlockable characters in addition to the original lineup, and fun in-game flourishes like picking up buses and scarfing down the passengers.

All in all it's a worthy sequel and seems like it'd make a fine party game.  And if you don't like smashing windows and devouring the screaming people inside, you don't like fun.  End of story.

--

Buy it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 06:17:50 PM

Sweet! I'm with you on the original Rampage. Bad ass game.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:25:05 PM

We've had a couple more big sessions of this game and it continues to rock. It's a definite buy for the Wii. It's even fairly non-gamer friendly.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Rampage: Total Destruction - Pipeworks - Wii  
Jump to: