Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: I hate you, f13 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I hate you, f13  (Read 15894 times)
Calantus
Terracotta Army

on: January 15, 2008, 05:33:49 PM

So I had this boycott of Steam I'd been holding onto since it came out. Then you guys are all gushing over steam like it's the new raman noodles and TF2 is your God and Portal is his son. So I figure okay, maybe boycotting something forever because it fucked me over years ago is a bad idea when they're introducing these fun games and have apparently improved. I download steam, all is working. I buy valve complete or whatever and download CS and play it for a bit of nostalgia. Then I go to download HL2 and Steam gives me a big ol' fuck you in the form of sticking my download at 38% and telling me "The Steam severs are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes."

Fuck you guys and your steam fetish.

EDIT: It also made an ear-hurting sound when I switched back to the error message. My ears are hurt now because of you.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 05:41:45 PM by Calantus »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:41:01 PM

My attitude towards Steam hasn't changed -- I still think it's the Devil's spawn.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 06:42:12 PM

If it doesn't go, try restarting Steam.  

After I rebought Vampire my download wedged and I was all like  ACK!  

I waited a few hours and still nothing so  swamp poop

Then I restarted Steam and  Ohhhhh, I see.

I still think it's better than having to track down antiquated physical media.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:16:42 PM

Yah, because shelves are hard.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:26:18 PM

So, you're saying that you have no friends and have never moved. That's cool.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 07:37:16 PM

Shelves are easy.  Finding more places to put them...   ACK!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 07:48:33 PM

Where would I put the extra clothes racks then?  undecided

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 05:45:53 AM

Where would I put the extra clothes racks then?  undecided

I see no problem with just burning them.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 08:18:53 AM

Steam is still evil, but convenient evil. Sucks for people without broadband.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 04:24:30 PM

The shelves are not the problem...

Finding a shelf with years-old games on them? Much more difficult.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 08:06:04 PM

One more log for the fire: the retail box of Arx Fatalis just doesn't work right (missing textures, specifically; it was very buggy even at release) but the Steam version works.  Otherwise what rattran said.  I have the same view of GameTap, which is actually better than Steam in my opinion.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 04:42:31 PM

Gametap's widescreen monitor support on the 8xxx series of NVidia Cards is poop. Also, does not play nice with a razer sound card.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 07:18:53 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that you're almost forgiven. Portal was damn good, but too short to absolve you. Half-life 2 is pretty good but the first boating sequence was waaaay too long so its worth is going to be decided by how many long-ass vehicle sequences I'm subjected to, but I suspect it wont be enough. Your last saving grace will be TF2. If that's good enough, combined with the fact I didn't need to leave the house to get any of this, I will forgive you all this time.

I know you will anxiously await my decision.

EDIT: Also, derailing my bitch thread into a discussion of shelving is going to cost you some points so you better hope I really like TF2.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:20:40 PM by Calantus »
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 10:01:41 PM

EDIT: Also, derailing my bitch thread into a discussion of shelving is going to cost you some points so you better hope I really like TF2.

You will.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 08:04:30 AM

If you don't like TF2, you need to turn in your gamer card, go buy a Wii and start voting on stupid-ass questions.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 11:09:15 AM

Half-life 2 is pretty good but the first boating sequence was waaaay too long so its worth is going to be decided by how many long-ass vehicle sequences I'm subjected to, but I suspect it wont be enough.

There's at least one more EVEN LONGER vehicle sequence, in a goddamn dune buggy. The boat was a dream compared to the buggy. I hated the buggy. It went on too long and there were too many damn ant lions. Thankfully, I'm through that now.

And if you don't like TF2, you have no soul. Portal was just the exact right length, IMO.

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 08:35:12 PM

There's at least one more EVEN LONGER vehicle sequence, in a goddamn dune buggy. The boat was a dream compared to the buggy. I hated the buggy. It went on too long and there were too many damn ant lions. Thankfully, I'm through that now.

And if you don't like TF2, you have no soul. Portal was just the exact right length, IMO.

Yeah portal was the right length, it just wasn't a long enough game experience to validate steam by itself. :P

Half-life 2 was alright, but yeah that buggy was a pain in the ASS. I've never been a fan of vehicles in half-life games and mods, they just don't feel right. I also didn't like the accuracy of the main SMG but oh well, you tend to have enough pulse ammo to use that any time you'd want accuracy for long distances and can fall back onto the revolver if you don't. One thing I noticed missing was a breather between stages, you're basically fighting from the start to the end and it's a very hectic pace. I think I prefer being able to rest up and wander about a town between fights, too many RPGs I guess.

I played Episode One but since I hate the survival horror genre and horror in general at least half of it wasn't very fun for me at all. Is Episode Two more of the same? If it is I'll put off downloading it for when I've run out of games to play.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 08:39:03 PM by Calantus »
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 08:43:41 PM

No, Episode 2 is running around tunnels, driving a shitty car, and firing glass footballs at mobile water towers.

And that fucking gnome.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 10:29:28 AM

What gnome?

Episode 2 was pretty good even though the last level of Episode Two was one of my most disliked levels I've ever played in an FPS, and very high up there for a level without jumping puzzles.

TF2 is awesome. I could do without spies though, but I guess that comes form playing medic and engy as my favourite classes. The medic in particular is excellent. I love healing and frankly this type of healing is just about perfect for an FPS and you get congradulated for every kill you make. DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Verdict: forgiven.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 11:26:05 AM

If you don't know about the gnome, don't ask. You're better off not knowing. I wish I didn't know. It made me do things. Unspeakable things.

I liked the car before the gnome. Post-gnome, not so much.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 07:10:25 PM

I found out about the gnome right after I beat episode 2, I promptly uninstalled it to stop me from doing somthing I'd later regret.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 02:02:34 AM

You are very wise.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 06:50:54 AM

So I FINALLY picked up the Orange Box and go about installing it last night. Installs alright and starts patching everything up. Portal says it's done and I'm itching to play, so I fire it up and promptly receive a message that the data is no good, redownloading. I have a really crappy ISP so this does not surprise me. Shortly, it says 100% done and go to play, to be greeted by the same data problem message.

Now, I'm starting to get concerned. I got to the HDD I've installed Orange Box on, it's a second HDD in my laptop and sure enough, the \Games folder cannot be opened. I reboot and CHKDSK does it's thing, finding corrupt files all being of the ilk steam.dll etc etc. As it's going through that it locks up for around 30 minutes, not doing anything. I'm very impatient so I hard reboot and now my 2nd HDD is making bad noises and I the BIOS is telling me to insert bootable media, meaning my original HDD with Vista (<-- culprit? Who knows) installed on it is not be recognized either. I power down yet again, pull out the 2nd HDD and reboot. No problems, Vista fires up quickly and smoothly. Power down, reinsert 2nd HDD and a few grindy noises later I'm greeted with the 'Please insert bootable media' message again.

WTF, I'm assuming that doing the hard reboot when CHKDSK frozen up did something VERY VERY bad to my 2nd HDD, but it went from one corrupt folder, to no worky in pretty short order.

Kiss all my MP3's, images and videos good bye I guess eh?

So right now, I'm a little concerned about retrying to install Orange Box on my 1st HDD. Not a happy camper this AM.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 08:16:58 AM

That's happened to be before. From what I figured out it was just that the hard drive chewed itself apart on reboot when it does the initial read. Steam did nothing wrong aside from just being the write that finally did in your HDD. Computers are a beautiful thing.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 08:24:45 AM

Sad thing is it was a brand new HDD. OH WELL. That'll teach me.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 08:29:22 AM

Was it maxtor?
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 08:37:52 AM

Seagate

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 10:19:21 AM

Infant mortality. sad

If a drive is going to fail, it's likely to be either very early in its life or later on.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 10:23:33 AM

It was a double-whammy since I was REALLY looking forward to playing Portal.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 11:58:17 AM

I had a Seagate drive completely cluster-fuck itself in a similar fashion not too long ago on my machine.  I'm going 100% WD from now on until one of their drives fails.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 22, 2008, 12:52:32 PM

I had a Seagate drive completely cluster-fuck itself in a similar fashion not too long ago on my machine.  I'm going 100% WD from now on until one of their drives fails.

Quantum's, Maxtors, and Seagates have all failed me in fascinating ways.  Western Digitals on the other hand have never done me wrong. 
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #31 on: January 22, 2008, 01:25:07 PM

I bought a new Maxtor drive once. It failed on Windows install. I was absolutely astonished at how fast it went.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: January 22, 2008, 01:26:05 PM

I will never talk about my luck with harddrives. That is how one fucks themselves.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 10:28:24 AM

Every brand has failed on me. That's what warranties are for. Seagate's 5 year is nice, though I've only had to use it once. And WD's cross-shipping is good. And Maxtor used to be a pain, dunno how they are now that they're a division of Seagate, I'd stopped buying them a few years back due to a series of bad drives in a row, and an incompetent RMA dept.

I wouldn't blame steam directly, it's just that it failed during a long write.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 06:14:08 PM

HDDs are a scarey thing sometimes. Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Steam  |  Topic: I hate you, f13  
Jump to: