Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:16:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Pokemon Diamond - GameFreak - DS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pokemon Diamond - GameFreak - DS  (Read 3406 times)
schild
Administrator

on: January 15, 2008, 11:57:20 AM

First, let me qualify by saying that I enjoy turn-based-RPG combat, party customization, etc. far more than a good "story" in the linear, Squeenix sense of the word. That out of the way, the Pokemon games have always been some of my favorite RPGs, and Diamond (and Pearl) is one of the best. The story is the same as it's always been: hey, you're some kid, going to catch a bunch of monsters, beat some gym leaders then "Gotta Catch 'em All!" However, the combat is where it's at.

You get a team of 6 monsters, each of which has 1-2 "types" (read: elements). Every attack also has a type; however, it's not just rock paper scissors. There are 17 types total, and each type interacts with others in a variety of ways. Fire does double damage to Ice, Flying avoids Ground attacks, Ghost attacks are ineffective vs. Normal, etc. This results in combat that is extremely diverse and, assuming you don't spend hours grinding, challenging, if you don't a) know what types your opponent has and b) have adequate counters.

The graphics are that pseudo-3d that's been so popular on the DS lately (FF3 I'm looking at you), but not bad; the battles are still 2d. Sounds are decent, for a DS game, but nothing to write home about. All in all, it's a very fun experience, and if you like old school RPGs but haven't played a Pokemon game (or haven't in a while), I highly suggest picking this up.

-

Buy It.

Sent in by Rendakor.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 05:41:45 PM

Seconded. I'd add to the review that nowadays (if you haven't played Pokemans since regular red/blue/green) you get running boots first, making your adventures much nicer. Running super-slow is a thing of the past.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Pokemon Diamond - GameFreak - DS  
Jump to: