Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:50:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: MLB Power Pros - Konami - Wii/PS2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MLB Power Pros - Konami - Wii/PS2  (Read 3317 times)
Margalis
Terracotta Army

on: January 12, 2008, 02:00:14 AM

Note: I am playing the Wii version, apparently the PS2 is essentially the same. I'm using the Classic Controller throughout.

At first I thought I had made a horrible mistake. What I'm looking for in a baseball game is a game that plays like real baseball. A game that really captures what it feels like to play baseball - trying to put the bat on the ball, trying to locate pitches while changing speeds. Real players and stats and tons of modes are all nice, but what I am looking for is the in-game feel. The first time I played MLB Power Pros I was up 16-0 at the end of 2 innings and was ready to stop playing forever. Then I tried again on the "harder" difficulty and suddenly everything clicked. This difficulty is just a different set of options (that can be configured in-game) and they make a world of difference. Suddenly I'm in a 1-1 game at the top of the 9th inning. Joel Zumaya is my pitcher and he's getting tired. He's breathing heavy with slumped shoulders. I release a pitch and an exclamation mark appears over his head - mistake pitch! It grooves straight down the middle and an almost home-run is rocketed just foul. I put in my closer Todd Jones -- and I'm down 6-1 within minutes. Just like in real life, ha.

With the correct settings enabled this game is great. Turn off pitch type indicators, turn off the strike zone indicator, turn off the pitching placement cursor and you've found the formula for epic pitcher/batter confrontations. The modelling of the interaction of the bat and ball is amazing. Swing early over the top of a pitch and you'll foul it off your foot. (Call the trainer!) Swing late and you'll foul it straight back. Hit the ball off the end of the bat and you'll hit a weak infield popup or a dying shot to outfield. It's like - real baseball! Pitchers tire at a realistic rate and have realistic pitch repertoires, pull hitters pull the ball, etc. To steal a base you just press the correct button and the guy starts running, right as you press it, forcing you to time it for yourself rather than relying on the computer. It's all there. This game is pure skill and the best job I've seen at capturing what real baseball feels like.

The graphics are not for everyone. The game feels distinctly Japanese in its sensibilities, down to a sim-date style story mode. But the baseball itself is excellent. It's like someone took Baseball Stars for the NES and iterated over it for over a decade. (Which is pretty much what happened)

Verdict: Buy it. Unless you know you'll hate it based on the presentation.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 02:07:18 AM

Ah, you've discovered Power Pros. Picked it up Day 1. Eventually will find a holiday to burn through it. Just the best baseball series ever.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 02:12:34 AM

I'm giddy like a schoolgirl to play some more. And I don't get giddy like a schoolgirl.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: MLB Power Pros - Konami - Wii/PS2  
Jump to: