Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:35:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: 2008 State of the Game 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2008 State of the Game  (Read 3557 times)
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

on: January 10, 2008, 01:10:30 PM

See it here.

NCsoft is having some connectivity issues right now, including with the forums, so if you can't access the link above at the moment that's the reason why.  Most of the announcement is fluff but the following may be of some interest:

Smoothing the XP Curve
One thing that we constantly examine is the rate of advancement in the game. In a future version, we intend to smooth out the leveling curve by changing how much experience is given out for defeating opponents. The intent is to smooth out the “bumps” where players typically get stuck leveling up their characters. Keep an eye on coming patch notes for specifics.

That doesn't necessarily mean the time it takes from 1-50 will be faster (though it possibly could) but it's at least looking like the big level 30+ slowdown could be changing.

Over and out.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 04:50:03 PM

A number of good features there. The XP rate change (which will be done via increasing xp rewards rather than altering the xp required per lvl) is a good potential step; I say 'potential' because there is no detail there.

The other good news for CoH/V is new server hardware that will be stress tested by a 2XP weekend in February.

The boards are going nuts about 'Real Numbers', but no-one will care a week after those come out.

Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 04:33:23 AM

I don't see anything here that would bring me back.  Sure, at the end they said, "more content", but at the rate it trickles in, I may as well stop looking at this game till 2009.  I'm astonished that the items that are on the top of the list are quality of life items - indicating to me that the general mindset of the dev team is "keep the lights on".

What I'd like to see are:

- minor tweaks/improvements to the combat system - cc put on diminishing returns (PC and NPC), combat tweaked so that pvp is fun
- more powersets and/or a greater degree in freedom when choosing your primary/secondary
- some gameplay that is significantly new.  Bases and base raids seem like a good place for them to do a bit more brainstorming
MaceVanHoffen
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:11:25 PM

- minor tweaks/improvements to the combat system - cc put on diminishing returns (PC and NPC), combat tweaked so that pvp is fun

I wouldn't want them to change crowd control for controllers and dominators in PvE.  That's a bigger change, and it works just fine now.  However, I agree that PvP needs some attention when it comes to crowd control.

I'm pretty happy with the state of the game as it is, so the announced changes are just gravy for me.  I'm waiting for the villain epic ATs most of all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: 2008 State of the Game  
Jump to: