Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:15:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Super Mario Galaxy - Nintendo - Wii 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy - Nintendo - Wii  (Read 5327 times)
Sairon
Terracotta Army

on: January 08, 2008, 01:36:17 AM

Had the opportunity to get some time with this during the weekend. Basically it's Mario 64 but with the Wii controller in space, with gravity. Added is the ability to shoot star bits by aiming with the controller, it's pretty neat but I didn't use it all that much since star bits also is the game currency. Otherwise the controller system is pretty standard with the added mandatory Wii gimmicks, waving the controller around triggers a static spin attack for example.

Sadly the game has it fair share of camera annoyances. There's very little control over it, and when you run around small planets it falls apart, knowing what direction Mario will be running often turns into guesswork. The D-pad is supposed to be used for camera controll but it's almost always locked for some reason. There's the usual camera battling where you try to position yourself smartly in order to see areas otherwise hidden by obstacles.

It looks great and the production values are naturally high. Level design is mostly good, but nothing exceptional. There certainly those worlds which you'd rather skip.

As I said initially, it's Mario 64 with a new graphics engine and in space, I'm hard pressed to find anything of relevance which differs.

If you want 3D Mario Buy it.
Otherwise I'd stay away.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 02:07:47 AM by Sairon »
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:54:47 AM

Basically I agree with the review. I'd like to add that the game is at times ridiculously hard. I am still stuck at the purple coin stage of the toy land in the engine room. (Star 120) and I spent more than 100 lives on that one already.

If all you aim for is finishing the game then it won't matter. You only need 60 Stars to get to the final level and the last boss battle. A few of the levels however require exceptional platforming skills and can easily take a few hours to finish.

Nothing for people with a low tolerance for frustration
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 05:32:23 AM

I really like the game.

Really, what makes it fun for me is that my wife can play along side.  I run around controlling and she points things out/collects star bits/freezes enemies.  It's almost too easy w/ 2 players, but it's really great if you have a pseudo-gamer in the family.  Also, must buy if you own a wii imo.  NOT a reason to own the wii though.  If that makes sense.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 11:06:51 AM

The coop ability is pretty nice the second person dosn't need any mad skills so you can even have a little brother or sister help out and they can be very helpful on some levels. This game just makes me more certain that the japanese have much better drugs than we have.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:20:01 PM

Good to hear that this game gets harder.  I had just about given up on it because it was so mind numbingly easy.

Why don't you try our other games?
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 07:59:56 PM

Good to hear that this game gets harder.  I had just about given up on it because it was so mind numbingly easy.

The difficulty is all over the map - some levels are painfully easy, some burn through quite a few lives.  That's fine for me; younger players will stick to the easy levels and still feel like they get to win a game, while older players can burn through all the levels to get every coin. 

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 09:26:39 PM

I picked it up and I'm starting to get bored already. The camera sucks, and all of the levels so far (I'm towards the end of the third observatory) are seemingly a collection of minigames...you spend 2 minutes doing one thing, then blast off to another mini-planet or platform and do something else for 2 minutes, repeat until star. Kinda dull...I keep hoping for a really large galaxy to go to and I haven't gotten one yet. The crazy platform-worlds like Sweet-Sweet Galaxy were kinda fun.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 12:31:19 PM

I really haven't played it other than helping my daughter get through some levels.  As far as my 9 year old daughter, she loves it.  She especially likes the little "playground" she gets to develop throughout the game.  Her ultimate joy was getting the "water house."

"I like it best, because it has.....water."

I've always been of the opinion that Mario games are touch and go for me.  I can pick them up and play them for hours, but my next game session could be a year later.  I just never "Jones" for them.  Given that, the game is solid and fun while you play it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Super Mario Galaxy - Nintendo - Wii  
Jump to: