Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Dave Sim announces Glamourpuss 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dave Sim announces Glamourpuss  (Read 4671 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: January 04, 2008, 03:22:33 AM

Cerebus creator Dave Sim announced earlier in the week that he would have a new comic coming out in April called Glamourpuss.  One article over at Newsarama describes it as "a parody of the fashion industry plus an homage to the classic “soap opera” comics strips of the 50s, like Mary Perkins On Stage."

The question that I'm sure will be on the minds of anybody who has read any of the issues from the the final few years of Cerebus is, "exactly how big of a train-wreck is this going to be?".  Sure, once upon a time, Sim actually wrote some decent stuff, but somewhere along the line in his quest to self-publish 300 issues of Cerebus, he seems to have gone bugfuck insane.  It doesn't help that Sim, who has a reputation as being a bit of a misogynist (and I don't know his work well enough, nor have I read enough interviews to make a judgement as to whether that reputation is deserved or not) is doing a project focusing on the fashion industry.

Regardless, I can't say this sounds like something I'd be excited to read, regardless of who was writing it, but it will be interesting to see how Sim's first post-Cerebus comic is received.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:28:44 AM

I haven't read the last years of Cerebus, but I'm a huge Sim fan. Yes, he's a misogynist and proud of it. He's actually a right douchebag. But he's had some good ideas about how to market and sell comics directly and Cerebus was a monumental comic, with some fantastic (and some not so fantastic) issues.

EDIT: Not sure I care much about an Ab Fab-esque comic, but since it's Sim, I am interested.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 08:30:35 AM by HaemishM »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 12:06:05 PM

The little bit of art they had was lovely.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:30:54 PM

Looks like he is also doing a comic about the Holocaust, called Judenhass.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:13:37 PM

I gave up on Cerebus after Form and Void. I sometimes wonder though if it's worth trying the final two collections.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 01:26:54 AM

The first issue came out about a week ago and I just got around to looking at it.  Not at all what I was expecting, and I can't begin to describe what this book actually is.  It's not a story or any sort of narrative.  Instead the book mostly seems to be Sim detailing his fixation on the art of the old Rex Kirby comic strips.  I'm not sure where exactly he's going with all this, and you have to be really interested in the art style and getting an inside look at Sim's thought process in regards to trying to imitate it in order for it to be worth reading.

On the one hand, I can't really say that the subject matter here interests me much.  On the other hand, I always like seeing people going outside the norm when it comes to utilizing the medium.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Dave Sim announces Glamourpuss  
Jump to: