Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: WolfQuest - eduweb - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WolfQuest - eduweb - PC  (Read 4852 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

on: January 02, 2008, 09:30:46 PM

I'm always interested in games that try to blaze new trails (despite the very poor track record those games tend to have), so I downloaded WolfQuest tonight to see if it was any good.  In this game you play a wolf in the wild who has to look for food, find a mate, and stuff.  Sounds like it might be fun.  Or not.

I fully wanted to like this game, but it's pretty much a pile.  The controls are really slippery (for lack of a better word), the graphics are meh, and the game pretty much peaks when you design your wolf avatar (that part was actually pretty cool).  After that, you just spend a couple of hours walking back and forth between three points on a map where other wolves spawn randomly.  You chase off the wolves you can't mate with until you find one you can mate with (you chase off other wolves by clicking a dialog option repeatedly), and then you win.  In between the wolf spawns there are dead elk spawns that you eat to regain health lost while fighting other wolves, and the occasional rabbit and/or coyote spawn that you can tirelessly chase down and kill for fun.

I didn't even really learn anything about wolves, except that they apparently kill everything in sight (you get lots of worthless "experience points" for slaughtering everything you come across, whether or not you eat them or they posed any threat to you).  Oh, and they mark their territory in perfectly spaced radial patterns of pee spots around their spawn points to make them easier to find for other wolves that are on mating quests.

I was going to try the multiplayer, which sounded fun before I tried the single player game (you supposedly cooperate with another wolf to bring down an elk), but after seeing how bad the controls are I don't think I'll bother.  I had a hard time even walking up to stationary objects because the flipping thing won't let you turn in place or back up, so I can't imagine that trying to track a moving object while coordinating with another person is going to be any more fun than the proverbial nail through my dick.

-

Stay Away.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 01:13:49 AM

I demand a comic!

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 03:27:20 AM

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:15:28 AM

I demand a comic!

Wrong Sam.  :(

Also, Xuri's comic makes the game look more exciting than it is.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:17:52 AM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 02:12:05 PM

Perhaps they didnt know it at the time but if you search Abandonia or HotU there are at least 3 dos games about playing wolves that are arguably better.

+3 for marking your territory
-3 for not checking out previous games in the genre.

The world is balanced.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: WolfQuest - eduweb - PC  
Jump to: