Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:44:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Dominions 3: The Awakening - Shrapnel Games - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dominions 3: The Awakening - Shrapnel Games - PC  (Read 4283 times)
schild
Administrator

on: December 30, 2007, 04:37:56 AM

Sent in by Falwell:

Coming from a deep love of an ancient little title called Master of Magic, I was instantly interested in this one from the moment I found it. See, what most veteran turned based strategy gamers will never tell you is that the shittier the graphics on a TBS title, the better the chance that you've found a true winner. Such is the case with Dom3.

Yes, this game is uglier than that little Asian girl with 4 arms coming out of her ass, but in the end it takes little away from one of the best TBS games I've played in some time. The sheer number of options, viable strategies, character tweaks, spells, units and items is simply staggering. You could literally sit down and being reading the descriptions of all the spells in the game, front to back, early in the evening and not be done by the time you had to crash for work.

It has a skull bitch of a learning curve, even for an experienced strategy gamer. The manual doubles as a Fort Knox vault counterweight, but it's well presented for those with the patience. The game comes in at $55.00 US, a bit pricey, but worth it for those with a love of grand strategy titles. A very under-pressed title from an indie developer that certainly deserves your attention.

-

Strategy Gamers - Buy It
Everyone Else - Avoid it like the herps.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 04:52:19 AM

I would also like to add 4 little words that I can't believe I left out.

Sacrificial virgin hunting parties.
hal
Terracotta Army

Damn kids, get off my lawn!

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 05:30:05 AM

I have to say. I tried it, I don't do strategy games. It totally blew me away. The balance is just awesome. There is not a way for a race in an age, there are a thousand ways. If you know what your facing the defence is simple, but you never know and you probably have the defence at your disposal. If this is your type of game, this game is manna from heaven for you. Yes, Indy game developers can do wonderful things.

I started with nothing, and I still have most of it

I'm not a complete idiot... Some parts are still on backorder.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:06:48 PM

Dom3 == Best TBS Ever

Some reviews…

http://www.tacticularcancer.com/content.php?id=36
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/dominions3theawakening#critics
http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2007/01/05/on-site-review-dominions-3-the-awakening/
http://gamerdad.com/detail.cfm?itemID=3512

My mini-review…

PLUS PLUS

* Random Maps - big, small, water, no water, mountains, no mountains, extremely customizable and makes really good maps. Has really added to the game as Dom2 provided maps were pitiful and the best maps crafted by game players (who did some make some excellent maps). Graphics arn't Civ4 by any stretch, but the maps scale up and down just fine and look good enough to me...
...random maps can even be scripte into the game server.

* Ages - the feature of nation "themes" dumped, and instead, early age, middle age, and late age is a game option. Difference being that early age is more magic oriented, late age more "conventional" combat unit geared.

* New nations, new units many new pretender physical forms, lots of national specific spells - strategic depth unrivaled by any other game... ...thousands of units, hundreds of pretenders (though depending on nation selected, you get to choose a subset of those)

* More income, resources by default - making getting to the action a lot quicker, but all of these settings are easily customizable that can lend to another game style easily..

* 300 page manual! - well not sure if this is that great of a plus, but it's a great manual, half devoted to grimoire and magic items that can be crafted or nation specific spells and breakdowns for summons, rituals, and independent nation units...

MINUS

* 3-D battle film/renactments basically the same, upgraded a tad but I really would like to see a detailed battle turn report option. Battle reports with detailed casualty stats or at least tell me which commander didn't make it out of battle... ...watching the battle film is cool but it'd be nice if the game would spit out the turn by turn results at least at a summary level...

* Need more hotkeys for F1 nation overview - great that you can click on all the commanders, sites and provinces in the listings, but better would be if I had hotkeys to search for my prophet, highlight priests v. mages v. comanders, sort by income, resources, defense, etc...

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Dominions 3: The Awakening - Shrapnel Games - PC  
Jump to: