Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Genji: Dawn of the Samurai – Sony – PS2 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Genji: Dawn of the Samurai – Sony – PS2  (Read 5309 times)
schild
Administrator

on: December 23, 2007, 11:29:40 AM

Sent in by Hoax:

Genji takes the samurai game formula I’m familiar with from Onimusha and other titles and make it better.  Much better.  First you’ll notice a story complete with a large cast of Japanese names representing a myriad of political factions; and that the voiceovers are not in English.  Instead you get well-done subtitles, which I think adds to the atmosphere immensely.  The second thing you will notice is you can jump and jumping is fun.

The combat system at first seemed limited, two attack buttons + super magic (Kamui) powa!  However, the counter and magic systems are top notch.  By not sucking you can counter any attack with 3 different buttons, awarding you with three different delicious ass-kicking results.  The combat gives you that visceral pleasure and moves well, I challenge anyone to NOT enjoy kicking an arrow in mid-flight back into the neck of the archer who shot it.  You also have a cast of two playable characters that play differently enough to add to the fun.  You level up, are graded by how much combo-action you can dish out without being touched and for using more impressive attacks.  You should know the drill.

The bad, there is very little of this.  Firstly the rails are a bit too obvious, they give you jump (yay) but don’t let you jump over lots of things you should obviously be able to clear.  I mean the “roadblocks” in this game are laughable especially in light of your z-axis prowess.  Beyond that the gameplay experience is pure hack and counter goodness.

What makes this title most impressive is the pacing, the story moves well, the bgm is non-intrusive bordering on cool and if you are at all a Japanophile you should get a kick out of watching things unfold.  Combine this with good core combat mechanics that look cool and are intuitive?  Winner.

-

Buy it.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 24, 2007, 01:44:05 PM

Is this the first game in the series that had a (bad) game on the PS3?

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 01:52:28 PM

The PS3 one isn't bad, per se. The first one is just incredible - so much so that the second is shitty shit shit.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 09:38:44 AM

Forgot to mention that you can chop pieces off of boss monsters and use them to make kick-ass weapons.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 11:37:28 AM

I didn't really figure that out right away.

Here are my thoughts after beating the game.

-Its a bit short, which is nice.  Beat it in 2 days with under 9 hrs /played according to the save file with my lil bro controlling the main hero and me the big monk guy.
-They do reuse the first set of locations in evil mode later on.  Which is sort of weak.
-You can not get certain special items early and pay for it later on.  I couldn't get the monk's super weapon because of this.
-The main hero's super weapon are pretty badass lightning swords.
-We used 3 full heals to beat the final boss, which is really two boss fights with no save.  The first one is a pattern boss that is quite easy (I recommend using main hero for this part) the second part is more of a fight-fight.  You can use quad counter kamui on him 4tw or just beat him up old school if you are a badass at timing a positioning the monk swings (which I am).  Either way it was a good ending set of fights.
-We never did go into the "other dimension" doorway things you find in two zones.
-Its really satisfying when you get on a roll using the non kamui counter system (block or attack timed perfectly) also getting up to invincible is pretty pimp.

Also I did forget one thing in my biif review, which was a flaw.  Because its an azn game they dont let you control the camera at all.  But the directing in this game is fucking great so thats not a big deal.  You only twice throughout the game feel like you walked into some shit you might have avoided or been expecting if you could see where you were going.

The problem is, unlike some other games I've played, the controls feel really odd when walking towards the camera/screen.  Like so weird I was walking into walls hella much and feeling retarded during most of our first play session whenever that would happen.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:40:12 AM

What you do in Genji is save up all of your little soul stones, and then when you need a full heal, you just level up one of your attributes and it refills everything.

It's cheap and sneaky and totally abusive. And awesome.

I haven't played it since release though, so my description there might suck.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 12:08:35 PM

No that was what 2 of our 3 full heals came from and we still had 6 amaghane saved up.  Basically you can spend 3 shards to level up your baseline attack, defense or hp total.  But if you use them on hp total you get a full heal in the bargain.  We saved up 12 shards + a bunch of 600hp pills and a rare full heal item for the boss fights. We also had tons of attack boosting potions and whatnot.  The fight went from very hard when we were trying to beat it w/out using consumables to trivial once I double checked on gamefaqs that it was the final bosses.  Once we broke out the items it was not a big deal, though it helped we had failed 3-5 times already learning the tricks of the fights.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Genji: Dawn of the Samurai – Sony – PS2  
Jump to: