Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP  (Read 497488 times)
Schazzwozzer
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: April 16, 2008, 12:50:27 PM

Yeah, but joining up means running over to the monster someone else is hitting and hitting it too, as far as I can see. No need to group or do anything complicated.

It's gonna be interesting seeing how well they can get this reward-by-contribution system working.  It's easy enough to track DPS and even healing, but what about tanks and other more support/CC oriented roles?

Edit: Also, lulz, once upon a time, this would have been called kill stealing, and you'd be making people very angry.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:51:59 PM by Schazzwozzer »
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #981 on: April 16, 2008, 01:04:40 PM

Ha, I remember when Mythic put a warning that healing people without there consent could get you in trouble.

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #982 on: April 16, 2008, 01:05:39 PM

It is my understanding that the public quests involve more than just combat, and in regards to combat, its what you do that counts, not some tracking of damage done ETC...Because not all of them are combat related. Public quests are not, in my understanding, RAIDS.

Public Quests in WAR are absolutely nothing like the realm missions in DAoC. There is a brief overview at TenTonHammer and a more recent explanation from Rowland Cox at Hexus.net.

Yes, it seems like there is a lot of assumptions and whatnot being applied to them in this thread.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: April 16, 2008, 01:47:22 PM

Maybe if the NDA was lifted....  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #984 on: April 16, 2008, 04:25:23 PM

Yea, that's the trouble. We're also still at the stage where things can change.

The realm-wide objectives thing from DAoC (thanks for the explanation, sorry for the confusion Nebu) was there when I played, based on the descriptions given. The TTT article outlines where WAR current PQs differ.

The discussion following that has been enlightening smiley
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #985 on: April 16, 2008, 06:35:57 PM

The PQ system sounds interesting, but if 300 have been developed, it will take a month to find the best 2 for each lvl range and the rest will be as empty as an election promise.

They better scale to the number of people involved very well too - there's no fun in constanting failing because you can't kill 500 squibs in 10 minutes with the small group you have available because half your squad logged off. Otherwise it becomes like a raid but without the commitment.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #986 on: April 16, 2008, 06:49:21 PM

They better scale to the number of people involved very well too - there's no fun in constanting failing because you can't kill 500 squibs in 10 minutes with the small group you have available because half your squad logged off. Otherwise it becomes like a raid but without the commitment.
That's what surprised me as well when I read the article.

The system would work much better if these public quests would adapt depending on the number of players in the zone (also considering in the formula the faction numbers, if the public quest is one faction versus the other). It's not even hard to implement as it can be done through a simple proportional formula.

Instead the article says there's no such adapting system (yet?) and the only difference is if there are a lot of players the rewards will be worse.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #987 on: April 16, 2008, 07:01:09 PM

Instead the article says there's no such adapting system (yet?) and the only difference is if there are a lot of players the rewards will be worse.

ACK! ACK! ACK!

WAR needs to look at how CoH/V did its Rikti Invasions - a message pops up saying Zone X is under attack, every one who is interested heads to Zone X and the Rikti beam down in numbers proportional to the number of characters in the area (with more characters seeing the Rikti bring out their big guns). It's set-up so that that attack / defence capabilities of the mobs scale to the level of the character who attacks them / they attack, so a lvl 1 doesn't get one-shotted but a lvl 50 can still have a fight on their hands.

That's a public quest - everyone gets XP and rewards proportional to their level. The more characters, the better the fight, but a duo can still work just as well (solo is possible, but my squishie Blaster gets overwhelmed on occasion).

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: April 17, 2008, 03:42:26 AM

The NDA is killing me here.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #989 on: April 17, 2008, 05:30:59 AM

Its killing us too- I know you can't even do a simple "it rox/sux."  The problem is that right now, the only people willing to talk about the game are (as Mr. Jacobs said) usually those who got banned because they submitted a 50 page design doc on system X that was "ignored by the devs."  I've stopped reading those kind of reviews because the reviewer is always clearly insane.   
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 05:38:30 AM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #990 on: April 17, 2008, 06:15:55 AM

Its killing us too- I know you can't even do a simple "it rox/sux."  The problem is that right now, the only people willing to talk about the game are (as Mr. Jacobs said) usually those who got banned because they submitted a 50 page design doc on system X that was "ignored by the devs."  I've stopped reading those kind of reviews because the reviewer is always clearly insane.   
I don't read them either but I do like to use the number of lunatics that come out of the woodworks to rant as a suck metric.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #991 on: April 17, 2008, 06:43:35 AM

Settle in. No way we are seeing NDA drop until at least August for an October release date.

"Me am play gods"
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #992 on: April 17, 2008, 06:59:12 AM

Settle in. No way we are seeing NDA drop until at least August for an October release date.

I don't think they should drop the NDA until the day of release.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #993 on: April 17, 2008, 07:22:14 AM

They should bust down some barriers and be the first game to have an NDA after launch, you can never talk about it.  The first rule of Warhammer is...
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #994 on: April 17, 2008, 08:40:10 AM

On the other side the NDA prevents us to have a meaningful discussion, and them to see our precious, precious enlightenment ;)

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: April 17, 2008, 09:40:10 AM

There's plenty of people having meaningful discussions about this already. 

I'd like to see them not drop the NDA until launch either. This not artistic pursuit.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #996 on: April 17, 2008, 09:46:11 AM

I don't think they should have NDAs at all.  For anything.  Ever.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Schazzwozzer
Terracotta Army

Reply #997 on: April 17, 2008, 10:21:49 AM

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #998 on: April 17, 2008, 10:57:14 AM

... What's up with all those naked bodies on the ground?

Then it really looks like DAoC on WoW's style of terrain.

Another quirk: more than one character looks exactly the same. Sometime even the same posture.

And I hope they remove those ugly targeting circles with arrows pointing to threats.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #999 on: April 17, 2008, 11:07:20 AM

Nitpicking more:

Clipping issues, hair sticking out the helmet and hands not centered on the sword.

Sure, it's beta. But DAoC had plenty of this clipping ugliness after they decided to remake the models. One wonders if they'll do a better work.

On that screenshot the characters models seem even a step below the quality in DAoC.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: April 17, 2008, 11:26:51 AM

WoW dropped their NDA in, what March/April '04 for a November '04 release?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1001 on: April 17, 2008, 11:27:37 AM

HRose: Queer Eye for the MMO Guy.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1002 on: April 17, 2008, 12:05:37 PM

Looks like a fantasy version of Clone Wars with all the model/clothing duplication.

I have never played WoW.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #1003 on: April 17, 2008, 12:53:26 PM

Players don't care about customization.

Over and out.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1004 on: April 17, 2008, 01:11:46 PM

Driakos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: April 17, 2008, 01:32:18 PM

All the trees are clones/references of the same few (2?) models too.  Everything is just jammed into the ground.  There's no sculpting.  You can't get away with that anymore.  Massage those verts!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:36:31 PM by Driakos »

oh god how did this get here I am not good with computer
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1006 on: April 17, 2008, 01:46:34 PM

I don't think they should drop the NDA until the day of release.
Is that having in mind their own comments how the later NDA drops, the worse current shape of the game?  swamp poop
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1007 on: April 17, 2008, 01:56:29 PM

Hmmm....those screenshots look horrible. It's like WOW without the artistic direction.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #1008 on: April 17, 2008, 02:12:33 PM

It's a class-based MMO. I wouldn't expect much variance in character appearance at the top-end, given that it's got an equipment system.   Unless they add-in an 'appearance' system a-la LoTR or EQ2, yes, you're going to see folks that look alike.

I wonder how much of the art is done at this phase, though.  The racial faces & hair do all look alike from those screen shots.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Schazzwozzer
Terracotta Army

Reply #1009 on: April 17, 2008, 02:56:26 PM

There were more shots than just those I linked to, which I posted just because they showed RvR in action.  If you want pretty non-brown landscapes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

The clones have me wondering too.  I'm guessing it has something to do with how the beta is set up, or maybe they just don't have character customization in yet.  I mean, I'm assuming you at least get to choose to be a brown-haired elf (Elrond).
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #1010 on: April 17, 2008, 03:49:08 PM

There were more shots than just those I linked to, which I posted just because they showed RvR in action.  If you want pretty non-brown landscapes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

The clones have me wondering too.  I'm guessing it has something to do with how the beta is set up, or maybe they just don't have character customization in yet.  I mean, I'm assuming you at least get to choose to be a brown-haired elf (Elrond).

I don't mean to agree with Hrose about clipping but these are some sorry looking identical corpses...

Were these images leaked by someone in early alpha who had a really bad graphics card or are these official releases?  I mean I'm not a graphics whore, I care far more about gameplay, but there's a difference between low quality graphics and a half assed job.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1011 on: April 17, 2008, 04:45:16 PM

I really can't get over the daoc deja vu when I look at WAR beta screenshots.

I'm not putting this down as either a bad or good thing, but the art direction just screams daoc 2.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: April 17, 2008, 09:58:16 PM

Warcraft's art direction has us spoiled. They went out of their way to make sure that every object, every character, every plant and bridge and building and bucket and texture felt like it belonged. They meshed together as a whole. These screenshots display a lot of jarring differences between players and their surroundings. Art quality and tone varies from texture to texture, and model detail is wildly variant.

I believe the clone wars problem is part of their design decision to have classes and races be immediately identifiable from a distance. Theybut the may eventually have more customizability, but they're still going to look more similar than some might like.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1013 on: April 18, 2008, 03:08:09 AM

Warcraft's art direction has us spoiled. They went out of their way to make sure that every object, every character, every plant and bridge and building and bucket and texture felt like it belonged.
Tbh the one thing i remember from WoW is incredibly low rez textures of armour and million designs that's basically the one and the same thing in different hues. Oh and the two inn layouts all over the world. Which is certainly not unlike any other MMO out there, but it's just hardly the bees knees people make it sound to be.

WAR is for some reason shooting itself in foot with decision to post numerous screenshots of 'early work in progress' which are completely missing the lighting/shading layer, specular highlights etc. It looks flat, it looks like shit and they know it, so it's bizzare why they didn't take time yet to finish even a single zone appearance-wise so they could show it off proper. It makes you wonder if there's something with performance of their gfx engine that has them scrambling behind the scenes trying to fix it. Or alternatively what the performance is even going to be at all once all parts are in place.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: April 18, 2008, 04:37:22 AM

Warcraft's art direction has us spoiled. They went out of their way to make sure that every object, every character, every plant and bridge and building and bucket and texture felt like it belonged.
Tbh the one thing i remember from WoW is incredibly low rez textures of armour and million designs that's basically the one and the same thing in different hues. Oh and the two inn layouts all over the world. Which is certainly not unlike any other MMO out there, but it's just hardly the bees knees people make it sound to be.

QFT.  It's usually only fanbois or people who've never modeled or textured something who think the art direction is amazing in WoW.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP  
Jump to: