Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 03:44:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP  (Read 504962 times)
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: March 26, 2008, 01:59:07 PM

Collector's edition are generally worth fuckall, IMO. I don't need a cloth map of a world I'll never visit in any way other than through a computer. Blizzard's useless pets was about as close to anything useful in-game as I ever want to see.

Generally true, but as G. Bob. said, if you were planning on picking this one up anyway there is a good chance to recoup the costs by ebaying the miniature.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #526 on: March 26, 2008, 02:13:57 PM

AoC's collector's edition map is FAUX leather!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #527 on: March 26, 2008, 02:27:56 PM

Collector's edition are generally worth fuckall, IMO.

So your angry they are putting some thing you want in a collectors edition? Seriously. That exp thing is so minor its not even worth talking about. EQ2 has the same shit.

And how do you know they are not putting those exp gain items in game? You dont. I usually enjoy your posts Haem, but in this case it feels like angst for angst sake.

For once I think I might actually spring for the CE, not for the EXP thing, but for the extra character heads, quests, and the cool books. I am excited that they actually made a CE that does have some thing more exciting than a cloth map.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: March 26, 2008, 03:04:57 PM

XP-gain modifier will most definitely be worth something.

Not if it's a 5 charge 10 minute duration potion, which adds 50% base xp (ignoring group bonus, camp bonus, and quest reward xp). Just for instance.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #529 on: March 26, 2008, 03:35:12 PM

I usually buy the CE because, honestly, on the off chance I stick with the game I want to be able to say that I bought the CE.  The extra ten or twenty bucks is nothing compared to the recurring cost if you keep your subscription for a year, it would at most equal a couple months.  I still have my WoW CE and I like flipping through the stuff once in a while.

Of course my SWG CE is in a landfill somewhere by now...
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: March 26, 2008, 03:39:14 PM

If they need to entice people with exp bonuses, then they're saying the game isn't fun because you'll want to skip to the end as soon as possible.  Grind? In a Mythic game?  Unpossible!  awesome, for real

I hope they have pirate trees as the first mob in the noob Albio...err human lands.  That would be awesome.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: March 26, 2008, 03:54:27 PM

If they need to entice people with exp bonuses, then they're saying the game isn't fun because you'll want to skip to the end as soon as possible.  Grind? In a Mythic game?  Unpossible!  awesome, for real

I hope they have pirate trees as the first mob in the noob Albio...err human lands.  That would be awesome.

I'm holding out for spriggans and water beetles.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #532 on: March 26, 2008, 06:36:14 PM

It seems to me that Funcom and EA Mythic are having a contest to see how many times they can delay the release of their next product. Funcom has 'guaranteed' May 20 as its launch date, but we'll see...

4) Do you think you are going to hit this release date? About as sure as we were the last time, which means that we’ll be sure that we’ll hit the date when the game goes gold master. Our confidence only increases the longer we are in beta.

Comments like that require - nay, demand! - a graph.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #533 on: March 26, 2008, 07:02:18 PM

I don't know why some people are set on seeing this as some sort of credible competitor to WoW.  Personally, I've heard a lot more buzz for Conan, what with its decapitations and whatnot, than I have for "humans vs orcs PVP game from not-Blizzard".

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: March 26, 2008, 07:07:01 PM

I don't know why some people are set on seeing this as some sort of credible competitor to WoW.  Personally, I've heard a lot more buzz for Conan, what with its decapitations and whatnot, than I have for "humans vs orcs PVP game from not-Blizzard".

They have almost 650k beta apps.  Say what you will, but for a Western MMO that has to be record.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #535 on: March 26, 2008, 09:04:50 PM

While I may be considered a Warhammer naysayer, I think it will still be more successful than Conan.

At least Warhammer may be a lightweight DAoC with worse PvP but better everything else. I don't think Conan has strong foundations and I'm also skeptical of its technical possibilities. From Mythic I know what to expect and may not be all that excited. But for Conan it's everything to demonstrate and I think there's lot of fluff.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 09:07:50 PM by HRose »

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #536 on: March 26, 2008, 09:33:02 PM

warhammer fan base will ensure the first 60k copies willl sell at 79.90 that's roughly $4.8 mil revenue.
That's not bad already. They can pay all the pizza bills and soda pops for a few decades.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
schild
Administrator

Reply #537 on: March 26, 2008, 09:42:52 PM

Got my little piece of paper that I'm supposed to keep until October today.

Seriously, a piece of paper. Why couldn't they at least box that?

So what do I do, I scan it, and put it in a folder called "WAR BETA SHIT - DONT DELETE UNTIL OCTOBER"
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #538 on: March 26, 2008, 11:42:30 PM

So anyone wanna place their bets on factions imbalance ?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #539 on: March 27, 2008, 05:33:04 AM

I don't know how well it'll compete with WoW, but I think it'll do well.  I don't get wonderful vibes from AoC.  It's all about the vibes, man.  I bet it eats my registry.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: March 27, 2008, 06:04:06 AM

So anyone wanna place their bets on factions imbalance ?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Oh, most definitely.  65-35 order on core ruleset servers, and 55-45 order on open rvr (with one or two exceptions when the community declares X server the "destruction" server). 

Its simple math- one pretty race (dark elves) v. two pretty races (elves and humans). 

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: March 27, 2008, 06:14:43 AM

I thought War would do amazingly well, but I'm starting to think it's going to be Conan that is the next generation hit. That won't be WOW numbers for either one, but I'm thinking EQ/FFXI numbers.

I really don't know why it is that Conan has captured so many people's imaginations, but it seems to have.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #542 on: March 27, 2008, 06:49:04 AM

Conan will be a disaster (< 100k subs) for some as-of-now unknown reason. You cannot take the Funcom out of Funcom. I hope I am wrong.

I have never played WoW.
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #543 on: March 27, 2008, 06:56:11 AM

Put me in the Conan will be a disaster column, WAR will at least be a playable, successful game.  All Conan has is poorly animated decapitations, that's it, it will get old fast.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: March 27, 2008, 06:58:06 AM

Funcom will sell 700 or 800k boxes and have 90 or 100k subscribers a year from now.  I think WAR will have 200k after a year and will keep growing. 

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: March 27, 2008, 07:12:06 AM

Put me in the Conan will be a disaster column, WAR will at least be a playable, successful game.  All Conan has is poorly animated decapitations, that's it, it will get old fast.

There are quite a few more endearing features to that game than simply nipples and decapitations.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: March 27, 2008, 07:18:05 AM

Funcom will sell 700 or 800k boxes and have 90 or 100k subscribers a year from now.  I think WAR will have 200k after a year and will keep growing. 

I can easily see that happening. I'm not in Conan so I have no idea how stable it is. They managed to recover with AO to some extent, but I was in the beta for Shadowlands and it was far from a model release. Stable enough, but very unfinished.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: March 27, 2008, 07:38:38 AM

There are quite a few more endearing features to that game than simply nipples and decapitations.

Isn't the US version free of the evil nipples?  Those could corrupt our youth, unlike decapitations.  awesome, for real

I don't think Conan will move beyond niche game.  It'll end up between 200k and 100k subs if they have a relatively smooth launch.

WAR will probably end up a success by pre-WoW measurements.  It'll initially well exceed DAoC's peak but if the NDA I've heard is true, I don't think it'll keep more than 300k subs once the shiny wears off.

Over and out.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #548 on: March 27, 2008, 07:41:22 AM

Yeah, I think the US doesn't get nipples and Germany doesn't get decapitations.  Of course, the UK gets everything because they're 'ard, they are.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #549 on: March 27, 2008, 08:25:27 AM

Isn't the US version free of the evil nipples?  Those could corrupt our youth, unlike decapitations.  awesome, for real
There was something posted about how the current rating in US was given to version with nipples in full view, and so they're apparently not forced to hide them.

Conan is likely to draw the qql2play UO/Darkfall crowd though dunno in what numbers. WAR... honestly no idea, is there any people who play WoW because "it's really Warhammer"? Or who don't play WoW because "it's not really Warhammer"?
schild
Administrator

Reply #550 on: March 27, 2008, 08:29:05 AM

is there any people who play WoW because "it's really Warhammer"? Or who don't play WoW because "it's not really Warhammer"?

Only people more hardcore than Jain Zar.

I never, ever, ever want to meet these people. Luckily there's probably only 8 of them.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: March 27, 2008, 08:43:01 AM

I don't think Conan will move beyond niche game.  It'll end up between 200k and 100k subs if they have a relatively smooth launch.

WAR will probably end up a success by pre-WoW measurements.  It'll initially well exceed DAoC's peak but if the NDA I've heard is true, I don't think it'll keep more than 300k subs once the shiny wears off.

Word out of yesterday's WAR Paris event is that the part of the Chaos capital city dedicated to Slaanesh (pleasure god/goddess) has phallic buildings and other suggestive imagery!  Let the arms race begin!

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: March 27, 2008, 09:01:19 AM

Word out of yesterday's WAR Paris event is that the part of the Chaos capital city dedicated to Slaanesh (pleasure god/goddess) has phallic buildings and other suggestive imagery!  Let the arms race begin!

Witch Elves Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #553 on: March 27, 2008, 09:10:57 AM

I dont know how much time you guys spend on various mmog forums, or in game in the *shudder* general chat channels. But there is a lot of talk about "waiting for Warhammer". I am pretty sure we will see the population of all 3 EQ2 PVP server drop to about 10%, and yeah, thats not saying much, except the one PVP server is tied for top two most populated servers in EQ2, also, I think a lot of the "we want world pvp" people from WoW will pick it up.

I think we are going to see a lot more people getting warhammer at release than anyone thinks. I bet its going to sell out big time. Now, the only thing I see wrong is if they push back release date to November+ then they are going to be competing with WotLK, which would be bad for them.

Conan I think will sell well at first, and drop of pretty fast. As said above, Funcom is Funcom, they will find a way to fuck it up.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #554 on: March 27, 2008, 09:24:39 AM

Collector's edition are generally worth fuckall, IMO.

So your angry they are putting some thing you want in a collectors edition? Seriously.

No, I'm angry they are putting it in something you have to pay more for without explaining whether the same item will be available in-game. And I'm angry that in a game that is most likely going to have levels and an exp. grind and competitive PVP, someone who spends $20 or $30 more than I would is going to get a slight leg up on me. If it was a pure PVE game, who gives a shit? But it isn't, it's a PVP game. That makes all the difference.

Read now from the Laws of Haemish: The 11 Rule: In a PVP-centric game, if there is a level 11, level 10 will not be enough.

And how do you know they are not putting those exp gain items in game? You dont. I usually enjoy your posts Haem, but in this case it feels like angst for angst sake.

Hey, I didn't blog about it. I'm only moderatly angsted up.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #555 on: March 27, 2008, 09:38:56 AM

I dont know how much time you guys spend on various mmog forums, or in game in the *shudder* general chat channels. But there is a lot of talk about "waiting for Warhammer".
At the time there was a whole lot of "waiting for Dark & Light".

And "waiting for Vanguard".

Mythic will surely do better than that. It remains to be seen how much better. 200-300k would severely disappoint EA.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: March 27, 2008, 09:51:53 AM

I completely see HaemishM's angle. Then again, i also understand the marketing behind it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #557 on: March 27, 2008, 10:04:52 AM

I see his angle, but I still think its getting worked up over some thing so minor. Its not worth the blood pressure increase the huge red text implied. Spend an extra hour or two at work and buy the CE, or spend an extra hour or two playing the game, they equal time spent for progress.

I do understand that it could well be the first step down a very slippery slope though.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #558 on: March 27, 2008, 10:17:11 AM

Hey, I didn't blog about it.

burn!

"Me am play gods"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: March 27, 2008, 11:15:45 AM

Witch Elves Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Silvermoon/Blood Elves.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP  
Jump to: