Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 07:57:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP  (Read 505053 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: February 06, 2008, 06:24:49 PM

AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: February 06, 2008, 06:36:04 PM

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #282 on: February 07, 2008, 03:26:17 AM

Did anybody actually listen to the disclaimer in the beginning of the video? This isn't even intended to show anything near a "real" RvR battle, it's rather a tech-preview.

I heard it, I just didn't care. If combat is not ready then don't show it and say, "Oh, this isn't actually combat." YES IT IS. It's dudes hitting each other with swords and spells flying through the air. But it was creaky animations while people autoattacked in a perfectly stationary position.  It's combat, okay? And if you want to show something off then for fuck's sake do something better than... whatever that was supposed to be.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #283 on: February 07, 2008, 03:36:10 AM

Quote from the vid:

"It's about one minute of super-cool stuff from our game with people bashing each other. It's not video footage of an RvR fight because then they'd all be throwing spells and jumping around like lunatics.  What it is, is a minute's worth of Glory. "

I agree, it's not very glorious. It's meh.. it IS just people standing around bashing each other.  I don't get the Glory or the 'super cool stuff.'  Perhaps it's just meant to show off the models and animations, but it's not doing that very well.

The game is suffering from a lack of focused presentation of it's merits. They're scraping together crap to throw out every month just to have something out there.  Previously I was happy they were doing this, but now they seem to have gone the AoC route of "here's some random crap because we're too busy/ things are in too much flux/ too messed-up to actually do something more focused and detailed."  It isn't instilling confidence.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #284 on: February 07, 2008, 05:21:50 AM

Yup. It'd help if the last podcast wasn't full of injokes and stream-of-consciousness rambling about how the new systems are 'so cool'. Dood, I don't care what's in the CE box, I want to see the gameplay [which should be getting finalized at this point, yesssss?].

-- Z.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: February 07, 2008, 07:47:41 AM

Yup. It'd help if the last podcast wasn't full of injokes and stream-of-consciousness rambling about how the new systems are 'so cool'. Dood, I don't care what's in the CE box, I want to see the gameplay [which should be getting finalized at this point, yesssss?].

-- Z.

They don't want to show you too much of the gameplay, then you might realize it's the same MMORPG you've played time and again. So they focus on the BUT ITZ WARHAMMER NOW WAAAARGH! angle.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: February 07, 2008, 02:57:09 PM

-- Z.

They don't want to show you too much of the gameplay, then you might realize it's the same MMORPG you've played time and again. So they focus on the BUT ITZ WARHAMMER NOW WAAAARGH! angle.

?

Same is true of most games.

I played quite a bit of TF2 this year.  It's pretty much the same gameplay mechanics as the leaked Marathon beta multiplayer back in '94.  Right down to aiming at players feet with the rocket launcher to catch them with the splash damage, and fucking rocket jumping.

RTSes are pretty much the same as WC on Kali. 

Let's not even talk about chess.

AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #287 on: February 07, 2008, 03:45:52 PM

Of course you have a point. People looking for the same thing in a new package may very well be quite happy with Warhammer.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: February 07, 2008, 05:12:58 PM

I mean,  I'm not against getting rid of the worst parts of MMO combat or mixing it up a bit,  just like I'm glad that devs are switching up FPSes to cut down on awful gameplay like bunnyhopping,  or fix RTSes so it's not just memorized build queues.

Too often I see the complaint about MMO combat turn on the individual complaining wants to change it into carbon copy FPS combat, which I think defeats the whole purpose.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: February 13, 2008, 01:03:29 AM

Of course you have a point. People looking for the same thing in a new package may very well be quite happy with Warhammer.

Thing is, it isn't really the same thing. However impercepterbly, execution improves. Even if in the case of MMOGs, people keep going out of thier way to unlearn or ignore the lessons of games like DAoC, CoH, and EQ2.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #290 on: February 13, 2008, 08:25:13 AM

Did anybody actually listen to the disclaimer in the beginning of the video? This isn't even intended to show anything near a "real" RvR battle, it's rather a tech-preview.

I heard it, I just didn't care. If combat is not ready then don't show it and say, "Oh, this isn't actually combat." YES IT IS. It's dudes hitting each other with swords and spells flying through the air. But it was creaky animations while people autoattacked in a perfectly stationary position.  It's combat, okay? And if you want to show something off then for fuck's sake do something better than... whatever that was supposed to be.

Taking it a step further, what does it say about their product?  Are they so desperate to show some sign of progress that they release media that's not ready for prime time?

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: February 13, 2008, 08:36:27 AM

The only thing I got from that video was the sense of more-of-the-same. Heck, just for a quick i-love-MMOs thing I hacked together years ago in Final Cut I was using largely the same footage from DAoC. In fact, this video makes WAR looks like DAoC overall (flat ground textures, little foliage, over-the-top spell effects trying to be semi-realistic [unlike WoW], etc).

Which is a shame because, err, NDA
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #292 on: February 13, 2008, 09:54:54 AM

Taking it a step further, what does it say about their product?  Are they so desperate to show some sign of progress that they release media that's not ready for prime time?
Nah it seems pretty common with the MMO 'epic fights' video. Most of them have people standing still and hitting their skill hotkeys. Not sure why but it seems pretty widespread.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: February 28, 2008, 03:41:35 PM

RvR keep info:
http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/gameInfo/gameFeatures/keepsandsiege.php

If you played daoc, then you'll recognise this as NF keeps, but without towers or the supply chain system. If you didn't play daoc it is just meaningless blurb with a few screenshots.

For Guild Wars fans, sport PvP examples:
http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/gameInfo/gameFeatures/Scenarios101_2.php

Also, info on 'Reknown':
http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/behindTheScenes/developmentDiaries/RenownSystem.php

...but you don't need to read it. Reknown is Realm Points. Or if you're still playing EQ, Reknown is AA abilities earnt from RvR and Sport PvP xp.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: February 28, 2008, 05:01:03 PM

Are they still pretending this isn't DAoC 2?

Over and out.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #295 on: February 28, 2008, 05:23:38 PM

Yes, now hush and imagine with us.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #296 on: February 29, 2008, 07:38:53 AM

PvP Instances like WoW make up for the difference.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #297 on: February 29, 2008, 07:47:28 AM

Keeps:  Copy and fucking paste.  And still with the door bashing.

Also a bit underwhelmed by the Scenerios.

"Me am play gods"
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #298 on: February 29, 2008, 07:55:13 AM

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the keeps, I have no idea why they wouldn't implement towers (which would allow groups to support the zerg without actually running with it, and allow you to skip door bashing if it isn't your thing, and you also don't want to use a ranged weapon, heal, block reinforcements, scale the walls, or operate siege weaponry) - but they have instead stuck with the 'tag objectives' that seemed to fail in early beta, supply lines I would also miss, but the fundamental problems in WAR realm design make them irrelevant anyway.

Scenarios were exactly as I expected, but I'm interested in what you were hoping for? In practice it looks very similar to other sport pvp concepts? Do any other sport pvp games layer anything else on your basic small arena with objective based gameplay?

EDIT: Siege pads, wtf? why? What was wrong with being able to put down catapults wherever the hell you want?

This isn't daoc2, seems more like daoc0.9 in RvR terms.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:01:25 AM by eldaec »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: February 29, 2008, 08:36:26 AM

Some of that concept work is fantastic.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #300 on: February 29, 2008, 08:47:13 AM

Scenarios were exactly as I expected, but I'm interested in what you were hoping for? In practice it looks very similar to other sport pvp concepts? Do any other sport pvp games layer anything else on your basic small arena with objective based gameplay?
More depth.  More of an epic feel.  But we still have haven't seen the any 4th teir Scenerios yet, and it would make sense that they would place the more challenging ones there.

It still seems old that 3rd teir Scenerios includes all of the fourth teir 4th players.

"Me am play gods"
Rondaror
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: February 29, 2008, 08:47:48 AM

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the keeps, I have no idea why they wouldn't implement towers (which would allow groups to support the zerg without actually running with it, and allow you to skip door bashing if it isn't your thing, and you also don't want to use a ranged weapon, heal, block reinforcements, scale the walls, or operate siege weaponry) - but they have instead stuck with the 'tag objectives' that seemed to fail in early beta, supply lines I would also miss, but the fundamental problems in WAR realm design make them irrelevant anyway.

EDIT: Siege pads, wtf? why? What was wrong with being able to put down catapults wherever the hell you want?

This isn't daoc2, seems more like daoc0.9 in RvR terms.

Me too. Long standoffs on keeps gives melee classes nothing to do.......oh they could use siege weapons   ACK!
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: February 29, 2008, 11:05:16 AM

[...]

As a reward for participating in RvR, characters will receive one Renown point per Renown rank reached . These Renown points can be used to purchase special character advancement rewards from your trainer. These rewards are primarily focused on improving your character’s RvR capabilities
[...]

Examples:
 Hard as Nails I – Increases your Toughness by 3, costs 1 Renown point 
 Hard as Nails V – Increases your Toughness by 42, costs 14 Renown points 

Good to see they've learned from the past, so that after awhile those that are playing aren't so overwhelmingly more powerful then those that are joining new that the new players can never catch up... swamp poop
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: February 29, 2008, 01:02:16 PM

Ranks might be capped so it might just be a PVP level that you have to grind out.  I have no idea.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #304 on: March 02, 2008, 11:55:24 AM

[...]
Examples:
 Hard as Nails I – Increases your Toughness by 3, costs 1 Renown point 
 Hard as Nails V – Increases your Toughness by 42, costs 14 Renown points 

Good to see they've learned from the past, so that after awhile those that are playing aren't so overwhelmingly more powerful then those that are joining new that the new players can never catch up... swamp poop
The advancement itself looks linear, could be worse. It's also hard to tell how much impact that has without knowing the base stats -- e.g. that 42 toughness wouldn't do much difference if toughness of character without rank whatsoever is say, 400...

edit: btw, LotRO already uses 'renown', someone better tell WAR devs so they can go back to thesaurus diving.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:59:13 AM by tmp »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: March 02, 2008, 01:01:35 PM

I imagine it will be like daoc, where a few abilities become significant because they are more powerful than Mythi cexpect, but the rest are lost in the noise of gear stats and core abilities.

Plus, like all these games, the amount of practice and organsiation your team has had will massively outweigh +20 toughness. It always does.

WayAbvPar

Reply #306 on: March 03, 2008, 08:04:54 AM

Sure am enjoying the beta for this. And then I wake up and realize we still haven't been invited yet.  Sad Panda Sad Red Panda cry Mob Beating a Dead Horse Tantrum Cry Head scratch

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #307 on: March 03, 2008, 08:57:28 AM

Don't think I'd hold my breath on that, either.

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: March 03, 2008, 09:29:43 AM

Apparently EA have changed their mind and are implementing stealth for certain classes after all.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: March 03, 2008, 10:21:07 AM

Apparently EA have changed their mind and are implementing stealth for certain classes after all.

I thought every class had stealth. It just wasn't turning your toon transparent.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: March 03, 2008, 10:44:56 AM

I thought every class had stealth. It just wasn't turning your toon transparent.

That's AOC.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: March 03, 2008, 10:45:30 AM

That's AOC.

Woops. My bad.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: March 03, 2008, 10:58:42 AM

If WAR has stealth, then I'll be playing a true stealth class... the kind that doesn't pay for a box or for the monthly fee.  Initiative is too hard to balance in games.  I really hope that they don't cave on this one.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: March 03, 2008, 11:00:00 AM

Is that to simulate the part of the table-top game where you add a bunch of army dudes to your own side when the other guy has his back turned?  Or is Mythic just a bunch of retarded masochists?  I know, they should also give the stealth classes an attack that does enough damage to take away 95% of the target's hit points!  That'll be fun!  awesome, for real

Over and out.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #314 on: March 03, 2008, 11:30:56 AM

Ooooo the first chink in the "EA isn't going to rape us" Armor.  If they are going add invisibilty, it should be a power-up deep in RvR and in select scenerios.  Having classes built on asymetical abilities total fucks the balance.

Edit: With a good quote, this is worth it's own thread.

"Me am play gods"
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP  
Jump to: