Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 07:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP  (Read 505047 times)
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #245 on: February 04, 2008, 12:03:06 PM

I don't think they're doing guild beta invites, yet.  Everyone I know who is in didn't get in as part of a guild, just as lucky individuals.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #246 on: February 04, 2008, 01:38:18 PM

MarkJacobs has forsaken us.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: February 04, 2008, 01:49:19 PM

Ah, ok thanks Signe. I took a break from the forums for a month or 2 and I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #248 on: February 04, 2008, 02:17:32 PM

Our plan to get a megainvite by voting DAoC the 2nd best MMO ever clearly failed.  Or maybe he's pissed he didn't get 1st  Sad Panda

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #249 on: February 04, 2008, 02:51:34 PM

Our plan to get a megainvite by voting DAoC the 2nd best MMO ever clearly failed.  Or maybe he's pissed he didn't get 1st  Sad Panda

We have been pwnd by indifference!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #250 on: February 04, 2008, 03:40:04 PM

Just flame enough about Mythic and how they are copying WoW and he'll come flying in with an outrageous reply in less time than you could say "guild beta invite pleeeeeaase".

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #251 on: February 04, 2008, 04:13:46 PM

Just flame enough about Mythic and how they are copying WoW...
On a totally unrelated note, here's January's video of the month for WAR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8T9rAlsups

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #252 on: February 04, 2008, 04:20:46 PM

On a totally unrelated note, here's January's video of the month for WAR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8T9rAlsups

meh.  At least it doesn't lag I guess.  That's a good start.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #253 on: February 04, 2008, 06:26:39 PM

I can't remember is there some kind of collission detection or whatever?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #254 on: February 04, 2008, 07:32:13 PM

I can't remember is there some kind of collission detection or whatever?
There's supposed to be some kind of it if i recall right.
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #255 on: February 04, 2008, 09:20:12 PM

Sorry to de-rail a bit here, but I signed up for the f13 guild beta invite thing when the thread was around a few months ago, but never heard anything about it since. Did it fall through when they put the beta on hold?

Thanks.

The first rule of F13 beta club...

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #256 on: February 04, 2008, 09:21:41 PM

First comment on the page when I watched:

Quote from: Random Internet Warhammer fanboi
this will beat the crap out of world of warcraft because its warhammer who doesnt like warhammer and warhammer 40000 they are both awesome games and books and WoW doesnt even have a good story line this will

Ahahahahaha.   

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Dash
Terracotta Army

Reply #257 on: February 05, 2008, 05:46:26 AM

^^^ Cant argue with that!   ACK!

That vid doesnt do it for me.  It doesnt look bad, it looks like WoW.  I like how the dwarves came out though.  That Hammerer and Ironbreaker looked great.  Black Orcs look pretty sick too.  Swordmasters in dresses look stupid. 

In any event I'm trying it out no matter what heh.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #258 on: February 05, 2008, 10:05:44 AM

I'll be there to try it out too but, again, it looks so STATIC. Every single video that's remotely related to combat just looks stiff and stationary to me.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: February 05, 2008, 11:39:48 AM

I'll be there to try it out too but, again, it looks so STATIC. Every single video that's remotely related to combat just looks stiff and stationary to me.
The camera is held still and all the characters run straight to their target then just sit there and beat on one another.  They rarely pan the camera, and not in any sweeping manner which might give one the impression of an epic battle.  Characters don't move once in combat, circle one another, or do anything interesting.  It is static, and it makes the game look very, very boring.

Also the battle music is better suited to showing scenes preparing for such, not for the battle itself.  Since they use it for the whole clip, one is left wondering when the fight is going to start even after it has.

Edit: special codes are hard
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:42:17 PM by Lantyssa »

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #260 on: February 05, 2008, 01:46:47 PM

Mythic never did figure out music. That God Damn 'fight' music in DaoC could drive you mad if you didn't shut it off.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #261 on: February 05, 2008, 02:14:22 PM

Mythic never did figure out music. That God Damn 'fight' music in DaoC could drive you mad if you didn't shut it off.

Played DAoC for 5+ years.  The music got turned off on day 2. 

In other words, I agree.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #262 on: February 05, 2008, 02:24:26 PM

In other words, I agree.

Hehe, that brought back some memories.
WayAbvPar

Reply #263 on: February 05, 2008, 02:46:08 PM

I can still hear the ultra-annoying sound that spriggans made. Or another monster that used the spriggan art.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #264 on: February 05, 2008, 06:06:13 PM

I can still hear the ultra-annoying sound that spriggans made. Or another monster that used the spriggan art.

That's over 60% of the mobs in Hibernia  awesome, for real

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: February 05, 2008, 07:31:49 PM

That's over 60% of the mobs in Hibernia  awesome, for real

Ugh.  Thanks for reminding me.

At least they weren't itemized till way after launch....
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #266 on: February 06, 2008, 10:20:32 AM

Oh man... Those fuckers were a pain. There was a dungeon (I think level 35+) that was full of them. Spent many hours with my headphones off in that one.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #267 on: February 06, 2008, 11:35:21 AM

In other words, I agree.

Did anyone play with music on?

I played Wow with music off by reflexive habit carved out of playing DAOC. I think I turned on the music a year later because a friend said, "doesn't Un'goro music remind you of Jurassic Park?"  (It did indeed).
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #268 on: February 06, 2008, 01:15:49 PM

That is a good way to describe it. Just very mechanical and stiff. Nothing about this game's combat is even remotely fresh or exciting. I find I'm really not even interested in the game at all anymore. I hear beta is back up but I doubt I'll even bother.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #269 on: February 06, 2008, 01:41:54 PM

Oh man... Those fuckers were a pain. There was a dungeon (I think level 35+) that was full of them. Spent many hours with my headphones off in that one.

Spraggon Den!

Doesn't compare to the awesomeness of Muire Tomb. Zone in, die to red/purple con skeletons coming up through the floor and walls.  awesome, for real

I let the SI ambient music run for a while, Hibs was all mellow. WoW's music gets turned on and off depending if I am watching TV/Radio etc. It doesn't make me want to kill myself the way DaoC's music did.

Bungee
Terracotta Army

Reply #270 on: February 06, 2008, 01:49:29 PM

The camera is held still and all the characters run straight to their target then just sit there and beat on one another.  They rarely pan the camera, and not in any sweeping manner which might give one the impression of an epic battle.  Characters don't move once in combat, circle one another, or do anything interesting.  It is static, and it makes the game look very, very boring.

Also the battle music is better suited to showing scenes preparing for such, not for the battle itself.  Since they use it for the whole clip, one is left wondering when the fight is going to start even after it has.

Edit: special codes are hard

Did anybody actually listen to the disclaimer in the beginning of the video? This isn't even intended to show anything near a "real" RvR battle, it's rather a tech-preview.

Freedom is the raid target. -tazelbain
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: February 06, 2008, 02:12:51 PM

It's a shitty preview. I think that's the point.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: February 06, 2008, 02:14:03 PM

Next preview,  they can have two characters furiously circle strafing and bunny hopping around each other....
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: February 06, 2008, 02:28:38 PM

Did anybody actually listen to the disclaimer in the beginning of the video? This isn't even intended to show anything near a "real" RvR battle, it's rather a tech-preview.
Gotcha.  They have auto-attack and use a look similar to WoW.  With more brown and grey.

What 'tech' were they showing then?  I can be excited about technical aspects, too.

At this juncture I'm still not impressed.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: February 06, 2008, 03:30:50 PM

Where's the hot chicks?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: February 06, 2008, 03:32:19 PM

Where's the hot chicks?

Hush you.  You'll scare them away!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #276 on: February 06, 2008, 03:37:56 PM

Where's the hot chicks?

I thought we already established there weren't going to be any at all.  Sad, but there it is.  You'll take your manly elf with her ultra square- jaw and like it!  awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #277 on: February 06, 2008, 05:31:57 PM

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: February 06, 2008, 05:34:04 PM

my what do we have here?
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #279 on: February 06, 2008, 05:40:15 PM

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WAR - another newsletter - more RvR, less sport PvP  
Jump to: