Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:14:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Universe at War: Earth Assault - Petroglyph- PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Universe at War: Earth Assault - Petroglyph- PC  (Read 2712 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: December 20, 2007, 01:33:13 PM

Let me start off by saying I'm not a huge RTS fan.  I loved Dune back in the day, and enjoyed Warcraft, and Starcraft well enough, but after playing Myth, I had trouble going back to strategy games that required a lot of resource gathering.  Still,  is made up of a lot of former Westwood people, and the overall story and concept of Universe at War at least had me interested in picking up the demo.

The demo consists of a tutorial, as well as a couple missions with the Hierarchy (aliens that are trying to conquer the Earth).  From what I can tell, there's nothing too distinctive about the gameplay that really sets it apart from other RTS games.  There are some massive units (one of the giant alien walkers has multiple upgrade points on its body that you can add weapons or armor to), and even most of the grunt units seem to have some special attacks that you can buy, but overall it feels like the RTS we've been playing since the early ‘90s.

What the game does have going for it, is personality.  It's hard to not give some points to a game that consists of Aliens vs. Giant Robots vs. a race of aliens that have been living on Earth and appear to have been the basis of Greek mythology, and the art style for the Nov us (robots) and Hierarchy (Aliens) seems particularly well done.  I'm not entirely sold on the Masari yet, but as the faction that is supposed to be the most mysterious, they don't really have any sort of presence in the demo.

By no means a bad game, but I likely won't pick up the retail version until it drops in price a bit.  The story seems interesting enough that I'd like to see where it goes, but not to the extent that it overcomes the ambivalence I have towards RTS's in general.
-
Demo It
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 01:50:06 PM

Myth ruined RTS for me too, fucking Bungie, I'm not sure I'll ever forgive them and I can't even count the number of places on the doll they touched me.  If it wasn't on my top20 list it was damn close.  It was on my top20 list, fucking loved Myth.  The only bad thing was once you hit crown everyone became a bitch trying to setup only stacked fights.

King of the Hill may have been the best gametype ever.  Fucking so many awesome games on the one map where the hill was really the bottom of that bigass bowl.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 02:01:07 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 01:55:07 PM

Damn I miss dwarven sappers. Oh and stashing undead in the water and then flanking people. Now that's a game that needs a sequel. You're free now Bungie, get to it!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 01:43:54 AM

Amazon is selling this for $9.97.  Worth picking up at that price.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Universe at War: Earth Assault - Petroglyph- PC  
Jump to: