Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Drawn to Life - 5TH Cell - DS 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Drawn to Life - 5TH Cell - DS  (Read 7030 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

on: December 19, 2007, 07:00:15 AM

The concept with Drawn to Life is that you draw your little guy and use him to save the fictional world.  This may or may not sound like fun to you, but I submit that it is a tissue-thin veneer over a crap game.

The game is formula Japanese RPG, for the most part.  There is a village in trouble, surrounded by darkness.  Boo hoo and whatnot, but you as The Creator will save the day with your crude simulacrum.  There is a lot of talking before you draw the hero.  I spent more time doing this than anything else, except perhaps reading predictable exposition.  You have a set of templates or you can draw your own, using a set of boxes to see where the joints of the sprite are.  This is about as fun as playing with MS Paint.

Once you have your avatar, you trot around the village a bit before going to find a missing family.  What happens here is the game turns into a side-scrolling 2D platformer.  The drawing gimmick comes back in that you get to draw things in the environment, but they still behave the same way even if they are invisible.  You hop around the levels, either jumping on enemies or shooting them with your snowball gun (which you drew), collecting coins and finding other collectible bits of trash.  You know, the same thing we have been doing in platformers for twenty years.  Not fun, especially when I have half a dozen other 2D platformers that are incredibly good.
-
Stay Away

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 08:32:26 AM

This game got middling reviews and I think scored in most part due to the "charm." It is kinda a cute game.

I played it a good deal. But I can't help but draw a penis and giggle in this sort of thing. Poor Magical Pengel.

Needless to say, I wanted to like this more, or rather, play it more. But there's a certain amount of tedium to making my own content. And for whatever reason, this season I really couldn't be asked to do that.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 09:52:17 AM

I've been requested to "edit for clarity", so how does that work here?  Edit the post as normal, or something wacky?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 09:53:06 AM

Nah, just make another post (in this thread).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 09:56:22 AM

Once you have your avatar, you trot around the village a bit before going to find a missing family.  What happens here is the game turns into a side-scrolling 2D platformer.  The drawing gimmick comes back in that you get to draw things in the environment, but they still behave the same way even if they are invisible.

To clarify this bit, I'll use the example of drawing a platform.  These are invisible until you do, and I suppose if you want to give yourself some sort of challenge, you can leave them blank or draw just the corners, or better yet draw fake corners.  Or you can just use the fill tool to make it into a visual representation of what it really is: a boring rectangle.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 10:36:10 AM

I thought f13omatic could update posts.
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 10:37:12 AM

It can, but there's no reason to edit the post if it's More information. undecided I think.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 10:39:29 AM

Once you have your avatar, you trot around the village a bit before going to find a missing family.  What happens here is the game turns into a side-scrolling 2D platformer.  The drawing gimmick comes back in that you get to draw things in the environment, but they still behave the same way even if they are invisible.

To clarify this bit, I'll use the example of drawing a platform.  These are invisible until you do, and I suppose if you want to give yourself some sort of challenge, you can leave them blank or draw just the corners, or better yet draw fake corners.  Or you can just use the fill tool to make it into a visual representation of what it really is: a boring rectangle.

That sounds like a turd sandwich.  They should have ripped off Kirby's Canvas Curse for that bit.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 10:57:55 AM

Wasn't this also the premise of Graffiti Kingdom?
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 11:03:16 AM

Yea, Magical Pengel is the sequel to Graffiti Kingdom.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2007, 01:26:13 PM

You could draw a turd sandwich for the platforms, if you like.  Or perhaps veiny cocks.  I'd still say Stay Away.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Drawn to Life - 5TH Cell - DS  
Jump to: