Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:57:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: MUDs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MUDs  (Read 30514 times)
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

on: December 17, 2007, 05:12:03 PM

Alright, all this talk in the top 10 MMO thread has got me remembering all my MUDs, so put up your favorite MUDs, codebases, etc, etc.

Genocide - One of the finest pure PVP muds ever made, still running afaik, I've got a regulator and a dev buried somewhere.

Godwars - A DIKU without the diku, pure pvp, no levels, xp trained hp/mana/skills, great fun.  Actually ran my own called Asylum for awhile, learned how to code there.

The Two Towers - LPMUD, afaik still around, father was one of the coders (if you played, he did Erebor), got my first glimpse at C.

Asylum(? Don't actually remember the name) - LPMUD, all the different classes were forms of disorders, pyromaniac, necrophiliac, kleptomaniac, etc, etc, I still remember hitting the north pole to get those antlers for some pwnage.

- Mud whose name I cant remember, pure team pvp, rounds lasting like 15m-1hr, goal was to get down and push the nuke button.  Most memorable quote would have to be when you finally found the minigun lying on the ground somewhere - MINIGUN! LOCK AND LOAD!

Theres probably others, and there were(probably still are) hundreds of GodWars muds out there, my favorite aside from my own would have to be Darkheart, they did some nice tweaks that I can't remember.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 05:34:29 PM

Haha that's funny you played some of the same ones I did. The PvP one you are thinking of is Ground Zero.

My favorite MUDs:

Kobra - Star Wars, PvP, actual factions, awesome hack-n-slash combat (including droids!), space flight and space fights, multiple planets, the bestest!
Ground Zero - Present day (tanks, guns, etc) round-based PvP game that allowed you to look down halls, throw grenades over walls, and hit The Button.
Genocide - I played this more to play the side games (checkers, chess, poker) than the actual PvP; I died a lot.
Avatar - Basic Merc mud, but met a lot of folks there that came over to my Smaug-based MUD later.
Tron - Tron-based PvP duels in various arenas with different weapons (platforms, cycles, etc), leader boards, and tournaments? Yes please.

Edit to add:

Thunderdome and Thunderdome ][ - ROM I think, ][ being a lot different than ].

I've played a lot of other ones, but those are the ones that stick in my mind right now. There are certain songs I'll hear on the radio that'll bring me back to those days sometimes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 05:36:52 PM by Viin »

- Viin
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:00:06 PM

See, the problem with this is that there were so damn many. :) I'll just mention a few, and leave out ones I worked on.

Worlds of Carnage.
MUME.
DartMUD.

JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 06:09:12 PM

Ah Batmud.  What horrible things you did to my GPA.   
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 06:42:50 PM

Mozart MUD - It was a heavily modified DIKU, with a lot of custom zones.  99 regular levels and 11 avatar levels, plus enough immort level to reach 125.  Still DIKU at its core though.

I spent years addicted to this one.  I made several zones, touched up many more, and honed my now deteriorated coding skills here.  This place also taught me it is better to assist the people in charge than to be the one in charge.  I never would have visited Canada without a few friends I made here.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 06:51:29 PM

The Two Towers - LPMUD, afaik still around, father was one of the coders (if you played, he did Erebor), got my first glimpse at C.

Really?  What was his handle?  I may have known him.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 06:55:43 PM

Ground Zero! Right on the tip of my tongue, I loved that fucking game!

Genocide had a hell of a learning curve, you really had to know 3 or 4 areas by heart and clear em fast to get enough heals to competive, but the ol' noob drop a s beholder and invuln was always good for a kill!

Why can't any MMOs have shit as fun as we were playing 10 years ago?  If WoW had a GZ arena where you all spawned naked and had to grab weapons/ammo/tanks/push The Button I'd be playing that right now.

I'm still waiting for someone to show up who actually played my GodWars MUD though, I'm fairly certain we were the only mud around that allowed players to launch ascii cows worldwide in pvp for massive damage.  (By catapult, if you were wondering)

Roac - Moki
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 10:42:46 PM

LambdaMOO - still incredibly influential

Arctic - first MUD I spent entirely too much time on

Midpoint Void - MUD I settled on after wandering around for a bit after Arctic shut down. First real team-based PvP MUD I played on ("lighties" vs "darkies" until that got changed for PC reasons).

CircleMUD - worked on some of the docs for that codebase

PernMUSH - Only MUD I spent any time RPing on.

For some reason I never got into any of the LPMuds I tried. I liked how the ROM MUDs allowed you to create custom classes using a point system but I never got into any of those either.
schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 10:45:56 PM

I'm just going to say that my Mind is Blown that MajorMud doesn't have a linux conversion so people can run it on a regular webserver. I would by that on day 1.

As for standard MUDs, I built in more than I played in.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:53:03 PM

CircleMUD - worked on some of the docs for that codebase

Oh really? I spent a lot of time in the Circle codebase when I launched my first MUD. I still remember how cool it was to get the Oasis Online Editing patch to work! :) :)

- Viin
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 01:57:14 AM

I spent most of my mudding days playing Battletech MU*.  They had a pretty nice, text-based, largely rule-accurate, but real time simulation of the tabletop game.  This was distributed around and formed the basis of what would eventually become dozens of different MU*, most of them quite short lived, some more improved than others.  Some had prescheduled scenarios, others were 24/7 simulated environments, some had a "sim" setup that involved grinding credits earned from matches for better mechs. 

Then there was Varxsis, which used the Battletech MU* code for a 24/7 environment, but totally did away with all of the Battletech designs and instead had various unique mechanics like "Crawlers" (mobile bases owned by player guilds), and special suits that ejected pilots wore.   I wonder what happened to the guy who was running that.

The only real Dikumud I sunk any significant amount of time into was Realms of Despair.  I didn't get to a very high level - I apparently knew Diku-muds sucked even back then.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 03:38:12 AM

Diamond - A Circle MUD and my first real foray into online gaming. However, 99% of the population was European, so between lack of players when I was on and the whole "English, mothafucka, do you speak it?" thing, I didn't stick around long.

Monolith - A heavily SMAUG modified with 100 player levels, this was the best online gaming I've ever had. Great PVP, many custom areas, constant clan wars, even exploiting to victory (getting drunk so force triggers failed ftw). When the admin left, a friend and I took over, but we were poor kids without access to mommy's credit card (or any coding experience besides HS-level VBASIC), so it didn't last.

DBZ[Prime] - A PVP heavy game where primary advancement came from sparring with other players. So, of course we macro'd the hell out of it. No world to speak of, but the combat was fun. Declaring the recall room as our clanhall (and violently enforcing it) was the best.

Act of War - Great ROM, 3 (then 4) faction PVP, most of the world was unique, and had a lot of cool features. Roped a lot of RL friends into this, which led to us all getting into MMOs, and we still speak with horror of the salt mines.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 06:23:53 AM

The only sorts of muds I ever really enjoyed playing or working on were lpmuds.  Discworld being my favourite, of course.  Batmud, eotl mud, lustymud, muddog... all pretty fun, some gone.  EotL was really weird.  It had all the old stuff like a humpbacked bridge and a go player, mixed up with stuff people seemed to make on the spur of the moment.  I think it's theme was clutter or insanity or sommat.  Most of the ones I played are probably gone. 

No more though.  I need pretty stuff and I like to see what I'm killing nowadays.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Monika T'Sarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 06:28:39 AM

There may be many muds, but for me there can only be one: Genesis.
The inventors of LP-Muds, later changed to CD code base. Played it for 5 years or so. It's still active. Its where I got my user name that I've been playing as since then. A nice mix of different fantasy areas, with Krynn and Middle Earth most prominent. No default classes as a diku mud, but instead fun guilds such as the Knights of Solamnia, Blue and Red Dragonarmy, the Rangers of Ithilien, the Army of Angmar or the Morgul Mages.

They had some really advanced ideas that I think today's mmorpgs could learn from: Descriptions instead of numbers for stats. You did not know a players name until they introduced themself. Some fun half-allowed pvp, allthough the politics around it could get ugly.

Monika T'Sarn
The Combine
www.the-combine.net
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 06:32:09 AM

I loved my MUDs

After my BBS days of Tele-Arena and MajorMUD I went on to play the following exstensively:

SojournMUD - I played this game before and after the first "wipe".  I played this game and Toril and Duris for years to come.  Toril and Duris were off shoots of the origonal.  My main character names from this game was Tykre and Tosk among a few others.

MidPointVoid - I played this PVP game a lot.  I even went on to develop or "build" for these games.  After MPV I went on to play Lands of Chaos and MPV2 etc.  They all had the same people playing.  My main characters there were Xrin.  It was an interesting game.  There were a core group of us that played this game and all of it's offshoots together but never really communicated outside the game itself.  We just followed to the next one.  I wonder if those guys are still out there.  I'm sure they're not playing those MUDs these days still.

An assortment of other games I've played:
Darkover
Shattered Kingdoms
Aardwolf
Arctic

There was one other game that I played that was coded built and coded? by a guy name Moag that I played a few Sojourn games with.  I can't remember the game though.  It was uniquely coded.

Any other MUDers out there that played MPV and all the other Emlen coded ones?  It would be cool to find some of the people I played with.

Edit:
Ground Zero was an awesome game!  I loved that thing.  I played it a long time ago and it always had a lot of people playing.  Went back years ago and there was hardly anyone there.  Shame.  I'd play a graphical version of that game for hours.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 09:09:30 AM

Ah, MUDs.    Most of the ones I played were WoT RP-centric ones, but I dabbled in others.  Most were ROM/ Circles and I tried SMAUG when it first came out, but didn't like it.

The two I spent the most time on were The Weave, and Waterdeep.  Waterdeep was interesting.. a mish-mash of standard areas cobbled-in with Final Fantasy stuff the 16 year-old admin was coding himself.  Usually pure crap, but it was interesting with a decent group of people  and a pretty large following (about 500ish regulars) for a random, fairly generic MUD.

I recall trying either Sojurn or Toril because I'd heard good things about them.  My name was rejected, however, and I e-mailed the admin at the address given in the "if you want to contact us to discuss why your name was rejected" response.  What I got in return was a 2-page tirade along the lines of, "this is my work address, don't fucking e-mail me here again. You think I have time to deal with you assholes..."

Yeah, needless to say I didn't try again.

I tried out a few GODWARS muds, too.  Lord knows there were a lot of them for a bit there. Don't think I stuck around for more than a few hours, though.

So who else used Zmud.. or were you one of those lamers who declared how MUD interfaces were 'ruining the games' and 'only for folks who "don't get" MUDs?'  and "provided an unfair advantage."   awesome, for real

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 09:21:05 AM

So who else used Zmud.. or were you one of those lamers who declared how MUD interfaces were 'ruining the games' and 'only for folks who "don't get" MUDs?'  and "provided an unfair advantage."   awesome, for real

ZMud rules.  I loved the basic features it provided (aliases, triggers).  Didn't much like some of the more advanced stuff that let you bot, mainly because my sentiment is that if you bot, you're not playing.  There's a "play better" vs "play for me" line that I didn't like to cross, or see other people cross.  That's standard fare for online games though.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 09:21:34 AM

I used it.  I loved my Zuggy, and I hugged it and I called it Pinkfish.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 09:38:59 AM

zmud pish posh.

Raw telnet or later Tinyfugue!
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 09:40:57 AM

When I was playing heavily I used TinTin++ to do scripting and colorizing (before muds did that themselves), I think I had whole scripts that would travel me to point x, heal heal heal, rest......ok go! Plus some other wacky stuff 'cause I was too lazy to type and watch it - true afk gaming!

- Viin
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 10:10:01 AM

I used Zmud extensively, particularly the database stuff combined with triggers, which could let you program a pretty inclusive state machine if you wanted. I mostly used it to track semi-invisible variables on muds that didn't expose all your numbers to you.

Anyway, the notable stuff..

CircleMUD, because I played a couple of these in the mid-90s and learned some C dinking around with them. Particularly some hard lessons about proper memory management and string manipulation. swamp poop

Cryosphere, which introduced me to iDirt-derivatives and puzzlemuds. I wrote a few decent puzzles for this one, and I think it's still around.

DartMUD, which I still have creatorship on. Played this from '02 onward, I think. LPMud with permadeath, player politics/policing, deep crafting, huge world. Lots of stuff for explorers. Running a spy ring and infiltrating the major player-run political organizations was fun. Then I turned into a coder and wrote a bunch of stuff. Now I log in once every 3-6 months to say hi.

AVATARMud, an uber-Diku. Levelgrindily awesome back in the day, when I still enjoyed levelgrinding.

Oh yeah and...

Alan Lenton's Federation, a social/economic game originally back on the proprietary online services of the early/mid-90s. Now available to the general public, but I quit in '97 when it went from F2P (funded by AOL) to hourly. Playing the economic system and hanging around with random other internet people was fun and probably shaped my early relationship with the internet far more than is healthy.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 10:19:49 AM

AVATARMud, an uber-Diku. Levelgrindily awesome back in the day, when I still enjoyed levelgrinding.

What was your char names on Avatar?

- Viin
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 10:22:27 AM

Shit, I don't even remember. I played for like 2-3 months and never made Hero, let alone Lord.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 10:30:21 AM

Used zMud for a while, but then switched to MushClient.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 10:32:51 AM

Shit, I don't even remember. I played for like 2-3 months and never made Hero, let alone Lord.

I got to Hero with one of my characters but god forbid doing another 999 levels to get to Lord! For crying out loud!

- Viin
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 10:43:43 AM

Gotta go with tintin++ on my BBS's unix shell. 

After that I used hacked zmud programs or ytin+ or some other programs.

I've been known to use raw telnet programs associated with Qmodem via BBS telnet protocal.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 10:45:08 AM

I toyed around with MUDs in college and oddly enough didn't play one until after I had played Ultima Online/EQ.

AnimeMud: Again this was somewhat odd in that I had maybe seen 2 or 3 anime movies, so 95% of the references were lost on me.  It was a pretty solid DIKU.  There was a great auto questing system, a lot of customized gear (colorable also), solid room design, and at the time great mod/admin interactions.  Plus, I enjoyed the highly colorful, huge combat damage text. The PVP scene was very active. The admins/mods are really what made it great for me.  Heck, I even got to set up my own MUD-wide quest that filled in my character's background story. It was awesome with everyone participating.  It was like the crap they tried to do in UO/EQ with admin run holiday/event quests that never worked, but this one did. 

Unfortunately, the mods/devs are what broke it also.  I suppose that's what you get when everyone knows each other (all same college) and those relationships fall apart.  Sucks when your favorite mod gets demoted and a couple admins leave over who's fucking who.

DragonRealms:  A mud from Simutronics.  I had a lot of fun with this one even if I didn't get anywhere higher level.  It had a pretty oppressive grind.  Still, it had a great world, permadeath, a combat/damage/death system that I've never seen anyone better, and more depth than I've seen anywhere else.  The social atmosphere was great, but the roleplaying was pretty sporadic for a mud. There was a high powergamer contingent.

It was a pay MUD though, and when friends stopped playing it,  I stopped also.  The grind was just too much when your focus shifts to advancement.

Arctic Mud: A Dragonlance mud, so I wanted to like it.  However, every time I tried it, some higher level dickhead would PK me in a newbie zone.

I can't remember the name of the other DIKU I played a lot.  It had a really active PK/PVP population as everyone was open game from the start.  Had a terrific remort system as well, but I just can't remember the name of it.  Nija introduced it to me a long time ago, but I don't think he ended up playing there much.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 10:47:07 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
dwindlehop
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 11:19:41 AM

Wheel of Time MUD (http://wotmud.org) - good eq based PvP and quality zones
Speedbrusher
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 03:15:45 PM

I used to play a (bbs?) mud called Valhalla, which was a year or two before I got my own internet connection (i think it was in 1994).
As far as I understand, it was run by Michael Seifert, one of the guys who designed the original dikumud.
BigBlack
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 03:23:04 PM

Anyone have a MUD recommendation for someone who's interested in exploration, not a fan of roleplaying, and not a fan of DIKU-style levelling up or grindy combat?
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 04:10:35 PM

The first MUD I played, and really the only I could ever get into, were the different iterations of Gemstone from Simutronics.

I've played this one on and off for at least 10 years.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 18, 2007, 06:07:16 PM

Anyone have a MUD recommendation for someone who's interested in exploration, not a fan of roleplaying, and not a fan of DIKU-style levelling up or grindy combat?

The Two Towers.  There is leveling, but it's not too grindy, and the place is huge and has tons of quests.  Also, there has been considerable effort in keeping true to Tolkien's works, assuming you like that.

-Roac
King of Ravens

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #32 on: December 18, 2007, 06:26:35 PM

Arctic Mud: A Dragonlance mud, so I wanted to like it.  However, every time I tried it, some higher level dickhead would PK me in a newbie zone.
Heh, yeah. I remember "summon griefing" where a group would summon some unsuspecting victim into a room and then blind and silence them and hack them apart became rather common near its first end-of-life. Fortunately for me I never attracted the attention of such people.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 18, 2007, 07:58:14 PM

Only MUD I really played was MajorMUD on some local bbs or other back in 88-89.  I also played around in Gemstone III briefly at some point.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #34 on: December 18, 2007, 09:29:01 PM

Now you tug at the heart strings gang. Medevia and Battletech 3056 MUSE were my passion for many years. Actually I jumped across quite a few of the Btech MUSE iterations, loved em all.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: MUDs  
Jump to: