Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:58:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  (Read 245573 times)
Auz
Terracotta Army

Reply #210 on: December 20, 2007, 11:40:06 AM

Wow, they're coming out of the woodwork.

I promise to never post again.

Shit... except for this one.

"I came to the conclusion that the world is inhabited by two species of human beings: mankind and the English" - G.J. Renier 'The English: Are They Human?'
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #211 on: December 20, 2007, 11:44:35 AM

Has Tabula Rasa gotten really good? 

From what I played of the trial, no.  I didn't find anything compelling enough to play past the first tutorial area.  The combat felt like SWG NGE crapola. Like Mass Effect combat except designed for retards.

I'd make a list...but I haven't even played 10 MMO's.  swamp poop

I've played a lot more than 10 and I only listed 5.  Hell, I left off a game I played for at least 3 years and another I played for 6 months.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 11:47:46 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: December 20, 2007, 11:45:16 AM

I wonder, are all these new guys lurkers who just now decided to register, or did someone post this elsewhere causing an influx of posters?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeremy_Dalberg
Developers

EA

Reply #213 on: December 20, 2007, 11:46:11 AM

Has Tabula Rasa gotten really good?  I'm suprised to see it so high on these lists, I played in the beta and the game was so boring I couldn't even bring myself to beta test it.

I'd say so.  I didn't play in the beta, but reports from people who did seem to indicate that it was terribly boring throughout most of the beta, but - and this is rather novel - they fixed it.

I am having a great time running around shooting aliens, I enjoy the story/worldbuilding, and I've been impressed by the speed of their patches.  It's not without kinks - the crafting system needs quite a bit of love, for example - but I have more confidence than usual that it will continue to improve.
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

Reply #214 on: December 20, 2007, 11:49:05 AM

Going to include games I have worked on (in this case, UO, LOTRO, AC and DDO). Also only included those I played for more than 3 months, so games that are in beta and new releases won't be on the list:

1. UO - first and still the best.
2. Planetside - played this more than any other mmog other than UO.
3. DAoC - really enjoyed the PvP, first time I gamed with friends who I knew before gaming with them.
4. CoH - superheroes ftw. Playing with people who are different levels is still the best feature ever. More of this please.
5. LOTRO - was the main reason leaving Turbine was so tough.
6. EQ2 - played this with a bunch of old UO friends, got better and better with each update.
7. WoW - enjoyed it but never fell into it, can't ignore the polish though.
8. AC1 - probably would have played this more but joined a bad monarchy.
9. Earth and Beyond - the first mmog that I can recall that allowed me to level entirely through questing, at least for the first 20 levels or so.
10. DDO - loved the combat, wished it had more solo play at launch.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #215 on: December 20, 2007, 11:56:42 AM

1.  FFXI

2.  AC1

3.  EveOnline

4.  DAoC

5.  The Rest having nothing to distinguish themselves from one another compared to their peers.

Your list doesn't count as you listed only 4 games instead of the required 5. It's still an interesting list but I won't count the points for it.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: December 20, 2007, 12:01:09 PM

I BETA testing Earth and Beyond and can't believe people actually played that game for a prolonged period of time.
Auz
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: December 20, 2007, 12:09:01 PM

I wonder, are all these new guys lurkers who just now decided to register, or did someone post this elsewhere causing an influx of posters?
Raph posted on his blog... and I couldn't not obey.

"I came to the conclusion that the world is inhabited by two species of human beings: mankind and the English" - G.J. Renier 'The English: Are They Human?'
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #218 on: December 20, 2007, 12:09:56 PM

Aha. Also, your previous post was an outright fabrication. The enrichment center wishes you would cease enhancing the truth.

Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #219 on: December 20, 2007, 12:29:09 PM

Interesting. SWG is surprisingly highly rated among players, but I don't think makes a single Developer's list. Wonder why?

I loved the original vision of the game. I loved the space game and feel very strongly they should have launched with it.  I disliked the NGE.

I went with time /played, though, on my list. I never sunk a lot of time into SWG until the expansion, and by that time I never really engaged with any other communities/guilds playing so there wasn't any sticky for me. I really need to play MMOs with a guild so I can crack bad jokes while watching my various bars move in different directions.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #220 on: December 20, 2007, 12:29:45 PM

1. Wow - sucked me in for a year where I hardly played anything else!
2. Eve - Awesome concept, a bit difficult to get started without help though.
3. LOTRO - Well executed, too similar to Wow for me to enjoy fully though.
4. Guildwars - Great graphics, gameplay was fun, but it didn't pull me as much as Wow.
5.Tabula Rasa - Haven't played yet, but judging from what I've heard and seen it has potential

Drai
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: December 20, 2007, 12:30:04 PM

Based on /played that ultimately reflects the degree to which I enjoyed them:

1.  Asheron's Call
2.  WoW
3.  DAoC
4.  Ultima Online
5.  SWG
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 12:43:55 PM by Drai »
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #222 on: December 20, 2007, 12:35:23 PM

1. Wow - sucked me in for a year where I hardly played anything else!
2. Eve - Awesome concept, a bit difficult to get started without help though.
3. LOTRO - Well executed, too similar to Wow for me to enjoy fully though.
4. Guildwars - Great graphics, gameplay was fun, but it didn't pull me as much as Wow.
5.Tabula Rasa - Haven't played yet, but judging from what I've heard and seen it has potential

/agree

But then again, the skewness on WoW is going to go out the window, too so... meh.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #223 on: December 20, 2007, 12:55:09 PM

Has Tabula Rasa gotten really good? 

From what I played of the trial, no.  I didn't find anything compelling enough to play past the first tutorial area.  The combat felt like SWG NGE crapola. Like Mass Effect combat except designed for retards.

The tutorial is bad, the game is not. Once you are running round Memory Tree Hill with a shotgun in the first zone, it grows on you. The control points and well-designed instances can also be a blast.

Tabula Rasa has taken over as number one "most popular" on mmorpg.com. That spot was usually occupied by EVE in the past, then LotRO, so maybe it indicates the current hit among MMO nomads.

So basically this is the new SWG thread that never ends, it goes on and on my friends. Some people started writing it, not knowing what it was. And they'll just keep on writing it forever just because this is the new SWG thread that never ends, it goes on and on my friends. Some people started writing it, not knowing what it was. And they'll just keep on writing it forever just because this is the new SWG thread that never ends, it goes on and on my friends. Some people started writing it, not knowing what it was. And they'll just keep on writing it forever just because this is the new SWG thread that never ends, it goes on and on my friends. Some people started writing it, not knowing what it was. And they'll just keep on writing it forever just because this is the new SWG thread that never ends, it goes ...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 01:05:08 PM by Tale »
Lightstalker
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: December 20, 2007, 01:04:37 PM

Best in terms of "Do I want to play them again?"

1  SB                              - Fucking chains of hope.
2  WoW                         - Still playing, still relatively solid (recent patch aside).
3  LotRO                        - Very pretty, would play more if my guild's hardware could support it.
9  Shadow of Yserbius  - Old enough to explore again for the first time.
10  DDO                         - Started exploited pathing in the first 5 minutes of gameplay, but still picks up the odd recommendation from an unexpected source.

I'd also like to assign my 25 remaining list points as votes against EQ1.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: December 20, 2007, 01:05:24 PM

I know in my case, I've actually been lurking for about a year and a half, and registered back in August to be able to read that Trammel thread in the den. Just got a wild hair to post on this one, no clue why.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: December 20, 2007, 01:17:19 PM

So basically this is the new SWG thread that never ends, it goes on and on my friends. Some people started writing it, not knowing what it was. And they'll just keep on writing it forever just because this is the new SWG thread that never ends,

I started writing it knowing exactly what it was. But I'll have to force myself and stop updating the chart sooner or later. Before ze dreaded stratics monkeys full army gets here maybe?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #227 on: December 20, 2007, 01:18:04 PM

Should call a closing date now, rather than just cut it off abruptly, imo.

cyanbane
Terracotta Army

Reply #228 on: December 20, 2007, 01:19:06 PM

I know in my case, I've actually been lurking for about a year and a half, and registered back in August to be able to read that Trammel thread in the den. Just got a wild hair to post on this one, no clue why.

I've been forum lurking for awhile (and a news reader for longer), but I saw this over on nerfbat.com so decided to give it a spin.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #229 on: December 20, 2007, 01:44:33 PM

Having FFXI be under EQ1 proves you people are morons.  All of you.

I can only think of the following that are better in EQ1:
-no friendpass bullshit
-no 48 cd install
-no playonline = 18 unique passwords bullshit
-less nipponese (had to be said, I for one love our silly asian cousins, the Chinese otoh...)
-less girlymen, sortof, EQ did have multiple elf races.

But core gameplay versus core gameplay FF11 is to EQ1 as WoW is to the non grindy bits of every Diku ever + the raiding of every diku ever.  These lists are totally nostaligia-driven, I didn't know better, I liked my guild more, time /played = good nonsense.  We did a way better job with the top20 video game thread.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #230 on: December 20, 2007, 01:47:54 PM

I found FFXI to be the worst first 20 minutes of MMORPG ever. The graphics were hideous, navigating the menus was a nightmare, click to move, etc. I spent more time installing/subscribing than playing. Granted, I didn't play EQ1 for very long either, but that was a computer/connection speed issue on my end.

Sanya
Terracotta Army

Reply #231 on: December 20, 2007, 01:50:34 PM

I've lurked for years. Got out of the habit of posting opinionated stuff (and stayed far, far away from things like this) while I was taking money from The Man, that's all. Now that I've finished my stint in detox I can post again.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #232 on: December 20, 2007, 01:55:15 PM

FFXI suxx0rs
The graphics were hideous - you are subjectively wrong.  Also remember we are comparing this to EQ1, so you are definitively wrong also.  Don't make me drag some ss's into the light.
navigating the menus was a nightmare - forgot about that, the menu's were console menu's.  My bad that should have been on the list.  Then again the EQ1 ui/buttons are so garish and disgusting well, it could be a tie.
click to move - wrong, both wasd and click to move were supported.
I spent more time installing/subscribing than playing. - I covered that, the playonline shit is wiggitywhack.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: December 20, 2007, 01:57:37 PM

Playing FFXI on the computer was awful.  The menus, navigating and actual play mechanics were dreadful.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #234 on: December 20, 2007, 02:03:01 PM

The menus were bad, but I remember with the most horror the grouping. Pickup groups were all  swamp poop and this guy looks legit

When I realized I'd never be able to log in briefly and have fun, I quit.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: December 20, 2007, 02:14:49 PM

I've lurked for years. Got out of the habit of posting opinionated stuff (and stayed far, far away from things like this) while I was taking money from The Man, that's all. Now that I've finished my stint in detox I can post again.

Poast moar plz. Tweety rants in F13 would be wicked liquid win.

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #236 on: December 20, 2007, 02:20:40 PM

FFXI suxx0rs
The graphics were hideous - you are subjectively wrong.  Also remember we are comparing this to EQ1, so you are definitively wrong also.  Don't make me drag some ss's into the light.
navigating the menus was a nightmare - forgot about that, the menu's were console menu's.  My bad that should have been on the list.  Then again the EQ1 ui/buttons are so garish and disgusting well, it could be a tie.
click to move - wrong, both wasd and click to move were supported.
I spent more time installing/subscribing than playing. - I covered that, the playonline shit is wiggitywhack.
I'll give you the graphics vs EQ1. Click to move was default, changing to WASD falls under menus sucking.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #237 on: December 20, 2007, 02:30:26 PM

Alright here is my list:

1) WoW. Based purely on how long I stuck with it and actually enjoyed it before nerd rage set in at grinding for rep and raiding
2) AC1. This is probably the one game I have the most nostalgia about. I still tell funny stories about it to some of my friends. If this game was upgraded with better graphics and rebalanced so life and/or item magic weren't necessary to have a good character it'd be my favorite hands down. I still miss the skill system in this game even if it was incredibly easy to gimp yourself.
3) COH. Take away the grind and this game would be perfect.
4) LOTRO. I think this game may rock in a year or so when more content is in. What's there is fun but alts in LOTRO suck since there are so few quest paths.
5) AO. The game sucked at launch but is great now. I just can't make myself go back to it.
6) DAOC. I didn't stick long with the game but it was fun for the very brief time I played. And I still get tempted to go back sometimes but that's mostly because I have friends who play.

The other MMOs I've played either deserve to be in the bottom 5 (UO) or have too many faults for me to put them in a top 10 list (SWG) or were over rated IMO and I didn't enjoy them. (EQ1)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: December 20, 2007, 04:30:02 PM

The tutorial is bad, the game is not. Once you are running round Memory Tree Hill with a shotgun in the first zone, it grows on you. The control points and well-designed instances can also be a blast.

If you can make it to Divide, then the game really begins to kick in with the Starship Trooper moments.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: December 20, 2007, 04:55:10 PM

SOE has 4 in the top 10.
justdave
Terracotta Army

Reply #240 on: December 20, 2007, 06:27:29 PM

SOE has 4 in the top 10.

True, but they're also the Linebacker campaign of western MMO houses.

"They started to resist with a crust that was welded with human brain and willpower."
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #241 on: December 20, 2007, 06:41:21 PM

If you can make it to Divide, then the game really begins to kick in with the Starship Trooper moments.

They probably should have tried a bit harder with the tutorial then, eh? If friends were playing this with me or if I had bought the game, I'd feel compelled to go on.  TR had a chance to pull me in, instead it's already off the hard drive.  Also, 3 day trial? Yah, bad idea. 

Anyhow, this isn't a TR thread.  My fault I suppose.

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #242 on: December 20, 2007, 08:01:34 PM

No worries :) I had proposed they reorder stuff to go from Tutorial to Memory Tree (LZ base) to Divide, either by down-leveling stuff or just starting everyone at 5. Memory Tree is a good start to the overall feel. Divide is better I couldn't see them dropping a whole continent of content, and no way the stuff in Wilderness could just be leveled up for some later-game content. It just wasn't interesting enough.

Quote from: Krakrok
SOE has 4 in the top 10.
Most of those on this list cut their teeth on SOE games. And we all played EQ2 for the three weeks it existed before WoW  smiley
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #243 on: December 20, 2007, 10:22:15 PM

1.  SB.EXE
2.  SWG (shuddup!)
3.  UO
4.  CoX
5.  Lineage (SHUDDUP!!!)
6.  EQ2
7.  WoW
I don't have an 8, so I'll skip right to 9.
9.  DAOC
10. AC

Honourable Mentions:  Horizons, for the potential; ATitD mostly for the crafting; AO because it forced me to buy a new, cooler computer after it spit the pieces of my old one back at me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: December 20, 2007, 11:39:00 PM

5.  Lineage (SHUDDUP!!!)

Lineage the first?!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  
Jump to: