Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:52:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  (Read 245596 times)
Apeg
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: December 20, 2007, 01:03:57 AM

1) Ultima Online
2) Everquest
3) Everquest 2
4) Tabula Rasa
5) Vanguard
6) EVE Online
7) Dark and Light
marz_1982
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: December 20, 2007, 02:30:21 AM

1. Wow - sucked me in for a year where I hardly played anything else!
2. Eve - Awesome concept, a bit difficult to get started without help though.
3. LOTRO - Well executed, too similar to Wow for me to enjoy fully though.
4. Guildwars - Great graphics, gameplay was fun, but it didn't pull me as much as Wow.
5.Tabula Rasa - Haven't played yet, but judging from what I've heard and seen it has potential
Aoladari
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: December 20, 2007, 02:58:45 AM

1 - World of Warcraft
2 - City of Heroes/Villains
3 - Horizons - I loved this ame, it was just not ready for relaease, and well before it's time.
4 - Lord of the Rings Online
5 - Star Wars Galaxies
6 - EverQuest 2

Purposefully dropping EQ down to ten, now a days it sucks, but it has to get nostalgia props.

10 - EverQuest

DrAtomic
Terracotta Army

Reply #178 on: December 20, 2007, 03:01:46 AM

1. DAOC
2. Eve Online
3. Ultima Online
4. Tabula Rasa
5. Earth & Beyond
Mocaris
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: December 20, 2007, 04:23:02 AM

1. 10six
2. Endlessages
3. Tabula Rasa
4. Ashen Empires
5. World of Warcraft
6. Dark age of Camelot
7. Vanguard
8. Anarchy Online
9. Legend of Mir 3
10. Eve Online

« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 04:24:45 AM by Mocaris »
jason
Terracotta Army

Reply #180 on: December 20, 2007, 04:36:58 AM

1. EverQuest - For me, the community in-game has never been matched.  The game was, in my opinion, harder to play with a mouse as it was more directly descended from it's Text MUD ancestors, and keeping the player's hands on the keyboard encouraged text chat.  More modern games, with little or no auto-attack, require more attention to activating skills during combat which I feel discourages text chat, and while games are now implementing group and/or guild based voice chat, their worlds, in general, are more silent, and extra-guild communities exist largely outside of game.

2. Ultima Online - The fact that I still tell stories about this game must mean they did something right.

3. City of Heroes - While it lacked the chat and community of EQ, it was just pure fun.  The first MMO that I think actually captured the "heroic" feeling as your spandex clad defender of justice could wade into gangs of bad guys and win.

4. Puzzle Pirates - All the fun of familiar time wasters like Bejeweled and Tetris wrapped in a pirate filled world.  Their implementation of card games and gambling is also quite fun.

5. EVE Online - Its like spreadsheets with spaceships, which sounds like it might be crap, but its actually fairly fun to play, especially if you get involved in the out of game corporation espionage wars.

6. Dark Age of Camelot
7. Asheron's Call
8. World of Warcraft
9. Lord of the Rings Online
Eaglewing
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: December 20, 2007, 04:48:44 AM

1. EVE Online
2. LotR
3. Guild Wars
4. Everquest 2
5. Linage2
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #182 on: December 20, 2007, 05:20:36 AM

Wow, they're coming out of the woodwork.

EDIT:  Oh yeah Jeremy, I meant to ask if you're staying with EA for the move over to Virginia.  As much of a prick as I come off as on Stratics (and... well, everywhere) I do hope you're sticking around.  They'll need people who really know the game.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 05:26:13 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Spielermacher
Developers

Zenimax/Bethesda

Reply #183 on: December 20, 2007, 05:41:52 AM

1) Dark Age of Camelot (yes I worked on it, and it's still the MMO I played the most. Apparently I have fewer scruples than Lum.)
2) Everquest I
3) World of Warcraft
4) Ultima Online
5) Lord of the Rings Online

EDIT: to own up to the fact that I worked on Camelot.
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #184 on: December 20, 2007, 05:54:26 AM

I bet this was just a plot to get lurkers to register.

1) DAoC
2) LotRO
3) UO
4) WoW
5) EQ2
6) CoH
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #185 on: December 20, 2007, 05:56:02 AM

If only I had a 100$ (let's say 200$)  bill for every lurker that registered because of this thread...

Auz
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: December 20, 2007, 05:59:16 AM

1) Asheron's Call (pro: you never forget your first; monthly changes; nuking Arwic deep enough to kill mules left there; having mob levels that lied; no friggin Elves. con: trying too hard to out-EQ EQ on epic encounters in later years)
2) City of Heroes (pro: I'm Batmanesque; no Elves; new! fresh! exciting! con: not content with making sure all fights matched their level, all instanced missions were made as indistinguishable as possible too; anything but fighting patched in later)
3) World of Warcraft (pro: clean, elegant design; lots to do. con: unoriginal; has Elves... double now; mob levels tend to override everything; tendency to take the easy route when faced with design problems; essentially a large theme park where nothing ever changes)
4) Asheron's Call 2 (pro: first of the WoW-alikes, but before WoW; fixed all of AC's problems; still no Elves. con: ignored all of AC's solutions; Tumerok's suspiciously Elvish; content patched in later)
5) Auto Assault (pro: I'm a car lol; can blow shit up; no Elves; con: I have to get out of the car why now? shit that got blown up comes back; ride pimping not really effective)
6) Earth: Above & Beyond (pro: in space; no Elves. con: and yet, basically roads; I have to get out of the spaceship why now?)
7) Eve Online (pro: in space; no Elves. con: I read a book whilst "playing")
8) Anarchy Online (pro: not a fantasy game. con: turned out to be a fantasy game with a sci-fi skin)
9) Neocron (see Anarchy Online)
10) Dark Age of Camelot (con: generic_fantasy_epic_01; Elves)
11) The Matrix Online (con: I don't care about your source material, if there's a guy waving his hands around making glowing designs in the air, he's a friggin wizard)

"I came to the conclusion that the world is inhabited by two species of human beings: mankind and the English" - G.J. Renier 'The English: Are They Human?'
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 20, 2007, 06:14:42 AM

1) Everquest
2) World of Warcraft
3) Everquest 2
4) Ultima Online
5) DaOC

Hey Cuppy!

You still playing your Arasi Necro fairy in EQ2?
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #188 on: December 20, 2007, 06:16:14 AM

/* commentary, vote already recorded */

On EQ1: was my first MMOG, previously had done a lot of RTS MP, C&C, RA, AoE, etc.… …early Rallos Zek PvP+ days were something to behold… …but the sordid ruleset implementation (not even accounting for the PvP stuff), that included bugs that never got fixed…

On DAoC: like stated in another post — a bland, timid entry suitable fro patients recovering from surgery. Yes, it was a cleaner and more solid EQ, but minus the soul. The dungeons in EQ were one of its best features and the world DAoC brought was just not anywhere near as immersive, and the magic/skill system seemed to be unimaginitive and totally spayed and neutered…

On AC: probably the misfortune of launching after EQ meant it didn't get fair trial, did beta and there was some cool things about it, but it just never captured my attention… …always seemed to find something else to play…

On Shadowbane: loved it, sans sb.exe errors and some other failings that could have easily been tweaked. In retrospect, would have profited from periodic clean slates and a better model to keep guild treasuries funded… …a shame that PvP+ gets shanked when it still has never seen a clean implementation…

On AO: no virtual barbie for me!

On SWG: worst MMO ever. At least of the "successful" ones… …too much running around, doing stupid fedex missions. The whole dancing bot mind refresh thing is silly ^ math.huge. And that was before all of the other game framework tweakings…

On ATiTD: unique MMO experience, but still at the core a grind

On WoW: EQ sans most all of the negatives, and in the Blizzard WC world.

I think I've jumped off the MMOG wagon, though if someone did a decent Wild West MMOG, I would be sucked back in…

/flameoff

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ezri
Terracotta Army

Reply #189 on: December 20, 2007, 06:37:13 AM

1) Asheron's Call - The Lore! The Olthoi!
2) Star Wars Galaxies - Before they ruined it
3) Everquest 2 - The one I keep coming back to
4) Lord of the Rings Online - Turbine did Tolkein proud
5) Eve Online - Hours of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer terror
6) Vanguard - A disappointment, but not the biggest one
7) Earth & Beyond - Was fun for a couple of months
8) Asheron's Call 2 - I WANTED to love it
9) City of Heroes -- Just not my cup of tea
10) Dungeonds & Dragons Online - THIS was my biggest disappointment
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #190 on: December 20, 2007, 06:39:42 AM

On Shadowbane: loved it, sans sb.exe errors and some other failings that could have easily been tweaked. In retrospect, would have profited from periodic clean slates and a better model to keep guild treasuries funded… …a shame that PvP+ gets shanked when it still has never seen a clean implementation…

I dare to say that Shadowbane is now greater than ever. I wanted to love it for years and in 2007 my dream finally came true. Clone it (literally) with better graphics and you have an instant winner. I even thought about making a thread about it but chickened out looking back at my Vanguard days.

clweeks
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: December 20, 2007, 06:45:37 AM

1) A Tale in the Desert - Best and most important innovation that I've seen anywhere.  I don't play it any more but I haven't exactly found anything better.
2) City of Heroes - Of the big treadmill clone-type games, COH does _everything_ right.  Best graphics.  Best quests.  Everything thematically connected.
3) Wurm Online - Really persistent.  Awsome innovation.  Willingness to go their own way, profits be damned!  Lots of horkyness, but lots of cool, too.
4) Second Life - Learning script crafting was a fun three months.  I mostly stopped because the stuff I wanted to do was too prim-costly.
5) EverQuest 2 - I've only played four of the big fantasy MMOs and never to the high level content, but looking at WoW and EQ2, I just don't get how WoW is more popular
6) Star Wars Galaxies - At first, this was fun.  I think my father and my son and I all played together for a couple hours each Saturday for a year or so.  Now, well, it's not even on the radar.
7) Saga of Ryzom - They tried to do some really, really cool stuff.  In the end it was just boring.
8) EverQuest - My first non-MUD MMO.  I can't compare and properly attribute stuff to UO, etc.  But this really blew my mind for a couple of months.
9) Auto Assault - Driving was fun, fun.  Walking around sucked.  Getting missions sucked.  Teaming sucked.  Loot sucked.  Crafting sucked.  Observe the trend.
10) World of Warcraft - I played for a few months -- again with my dad and son.  I found it ugly and uninspired and as bad as SWG wrt spamming crafters and annoying others, etc.  There just wasn't any reason to play.  Only D&D online was worse.
Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #192 on: December 20, 2007, 06:58:56 AM

1.  Ultima Online -- my first MMO and one of my favorite games of all time.  A lot of the negative lessons about UO have been learned and applied, but not a lot of the positive ones, in my opinion.

2.  LOTRO -- Beautiful, immersive and intuitive.  Systemically, a Diku derivative, but very well done and compelling, especially for a Tolkien fan like myself.  Plus, "lazy Ranger" jokes never get old for me.

3.  WWII Online -- I loved the historical equipment and the overall gameplay.  Hours of frustration could be offset by one incredible 30 minute battle.  A game where you can conduct a strategic bombing campaign can't be all bad.

4.  DAoC -- my first real extensive experience with the Diku system.  Fun character classes and great PvP integration into a fun PvE experience.  Still simmering about their drastically changing the group XP system, though.  Made the game much tougher and grindier for casual players.

5.  CoH/CoV -- unmatched (still) character creation system.  Immersive game play.  Flight and super-bounce alone worth the price of admission.  Very casual-friendly up to a certain point. 

6.  JumpGate -- beautiful game, fun in a lot of ways.  Fun was sometimes offset by the heinous travel times and long stretches with, literally, nothing to do.

7.  Anarchy Online -- played at release, but still enjoyed the game for quite a while despite that.  Dual-pistol-wielding doctors.  Too many numbers around stats and equipment properties, but still fun and a beautiful world.

8.  WoW -- Only played a short amount of time due to RL commitments at the time, but overall it's a very tight and well-done game.  Can't argue with results.  The time spent on polishing and improving content paid off.  Another lesson that is paid lip service, but still hasn't really been applied.

9.  Asheron's Call -- Great lore and events system.  Very innovative in a lot of ways.

10.  Lineage II -- best endgame system I've ever seen.  Offset by the grind necessary to get there. 
Yrys
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: December 20, 2007, 07:27:12 AM

1. City of Heroes / Villains
2. World of Warcraft
3. EverQuest
4. Final Fantasy XI
5. Anarchy Online
6. Lord of the Rings Online
7. Guild Wars
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #194 on: December 20, 2007, 07:44:15 AM

Cherries.

Dis thred brakes dem.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 20, 2007, 07:52:43 AM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #196 on: December 20, 2007, 08:04:44 AM

1. SWG (Pre-CU). -- I spent the most time in this game, well, other than planetside.

2. Planetside.  -- Completely ahead of its time, many many good times in this game, in fact, one of the best RPG (In the traditional since of ROLE PLAYING) ever created..

3. LOTRO -- What can i say, the story, the quests, the Instances, its one of the most well crafted MMO's i ave ever played.

4. MoM (AKA: Minions Of Mirth) -- The best "Indi" MMO ever created... Really, it had a Dev team of.....2. Really an inspiration here, even if the game isn't truly inspired..but then again. The out of the box features in that game, no other AAA Team would touch, are all fantastic.

5. The saga of Rysom -- Beautiful art work, cohesive styling..Creative skill system (You make your own SKILLS!), And to top it all off....The rysom ring, Allowing all the old school PnP Game masters create scenarios IN AN MMO for other to play...Fantastic.

6. Furcadia -- Yep, i fucking siad it, Most MMORPG are simply not. Role playing? Does it have a ? over its head? Furcadia is a strange animal (Punny!), My attraction to it was the tools, the fact that you could craft your own "Dream" is fantastic.. Its also a great source of "Game" designs, as you can quite easily walk into many many experiential game play types created by all sorts of people. The fact that it contained "Furries" didn't matter to me, they were all placed in my Furrie juicer anyway (Who dosn't love a game where you can create a Juicer to extract all of the life water from its citizens??!11!?)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:24:06 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 20, 2007, 08:25:53 AM

Has Tabula Rasa gotten really good?  I'm suprised to see it so high on these lists, I played in the beta and the game was so boring I couldn't even bring myself to beta test it.

I'd make a list...but I haven't even played 10 MMO's.  swamp poop

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #198 on: December 20, 2007, 08:29:36 AM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: December 20, 2007, 08:38:38 AM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #200 on: December 20, 2007, 08:56:44 AM

I think I've jumped off the MMOG wagon, though if someone did a decent Wild West MMOG, I would be sucked back in…

Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but Bang! Howdy is quite fun.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
heartless_
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 20, 2007, 09:30:58 AM

More detail here ( http://hgamer.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-top-10-mmos.html )

My list:

1. World of Warcraft
2. Ultima Online
3. Star Wars Galaxies
4. Guild Wars
5. Dark Age of Camelot
6. WWII Online
7. EVE Online
8. Lord of the Rings Online
9. Everquest
10. MUD 1

Tisirin
Developers

Cartoon Network

Reply #202 on: December 20, 2007, 09:36:59 AM

And even Community wonks, perish the thought...  :)
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: December 20, 2007, 09:37:11 AM

Interesting. SWG is surprisingly highly rated among players, but I don't think makes a single Developer's list. Wonder why?
Loredena
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 20, 2007, 09:51:47 AM

1.   Everquest 2
2.   LotRO
3.   Everquest 1
4.   DaoC
5.   WoW
6.   Guild Wars
7.             City of Heros
8.   Star Wars Galaxies
9.   Anarchy Online
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 09:55:29 AM by Loredena »
cyanbane
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 20, 2007, 10:00:09 AM

1. Everquest - Period.
2. Shadow of Yseribus  - Can't begin to describe how much money i made mowing lawns justs to pay the per hour fee on SN.
3. Everquest II - Beautiful game, great quests rich history of Lore, decent storyline.  Fair PvP but if you got the machine to run it, beautiful game.
4. FFXI - Great game, can tell was designed for console, but still very fun on PC and I liked dual classes.
5. Test Drive Unlimited (360) - Racing people around a huge island night after night and learning people in game for Vs (pvp) races is a blast.  Most underrated MMO out there.
6. DAOC - Unmatched Realm Vs Realm

7?  Legend of the Red Dragon (BBS Door Game).  Although not net based, I think it is fair to consider it a Multiplayer Online Game.  It had the potential if you had the phone lines on the BBS, PvP was there (with addons etc).  Was a blast to play with other people, might not get the "Massive" title because the net wasn't in full swing and the largest BBS's in the area we only like 24 lines, but I might consider it an MMO.

I would consider the LORD a MMO, some might not, so I finished out the list with an 11 just in case OP doesn't see it as one.

7/8. SWG - Playing in an already developed IP added to the open-ness of the game.  I enjoyed pre-NGE just being a vest maker or kicking ass.  Also first really well done player housing in a game.
8/9. M59  - This was really more of a "holdover" game I played between Yseribus and EQ, but very well thought out and pretty iconic interface.
9/10. Planetside - Not sure why this game didn't strike a chord with FPS shooter players, they had the speed down fairly well and rank/objectives.  Just never caught on fully.  Played for a few good months, was fun just needed more infusion of new armor/weapons/updates etc.
10/11. Anarchy Online - I was late to the table on this one because of the launch problems, but ended up being a pretty fun game I invested ~6 months into.

Ovdoo
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: December 20, 2007, 10:04:54 AM

1. Planetside
2. Dark Age of Camelot
3. Vanguard
4. Eve-Online
5. EverQuest
6. EverQuestII
7. Starwars Galaxies
8. World of Warcraft
Alacrity Fitzhugh
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 20, 2007, 11:25:28 AM

Of the ones I have played:

1. Dark Age of Camelot
2. Lord of the Rings Online
3. City of Heroes/Villains
4. EVE Online
5. World of Warcraft
6. Tabula Rasa
7. Star Wars Galaxies

Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #208 on: December 20, 2007, 11:32:22 AM

1.  FFXI

2.  AC1

3.  EveOnline

4.  DAoC

5.  The Rest having nothing to distinguish themselves from one another compared to their peers.
Nero
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 20, 2007, 11:33:32 AM

1.)World of Warcraft
2.)Shadowbane
3.)Guild Wars
4.)Eve
5.)City of Heroes/Villains
6.)LOTRO
7.)Anarchy Online
8.)DAoC
9.)EQ2
10.)EQ
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Your Top 10 MMOs  
Jump to: