Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:43:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: The Concept (and the Rules of Engagement) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Concept (and the Rules of Engagement)  (Read 43884 times)
schild
Administrator

on: December 02, 2007, 09:15:54 PM

So, this is just another little pet project of ours. No need to be scared, it's completely safe and has been tested on cute animals. The idea here is that you simply don't need to finish a game to judge it. For whatever reason, the internet community of games believes that reviewers finish games before reviewing them. I can tell you flat out that most of them don't. In fact, it would be a silly waste of time to do so. However, sometimes the reviewer does finish the game because something kept driving them. And this thing tackles that concept head-on. To be blunt, this forum is going to be comprised of one thing: reviews. But not a regular review, but rather thoughts on the first few hours of the game. Old games, new games, demos, freeware, etc. The idea here is for people to put into words why they're going to continue playing a game or why they're done with it. As such, there will be a review system. Please don't leave this little sub-forum yet, it's quite simple. Here, let me break it down:

Buy it.
Rent it.
Total Crap.

See. 3 scores. You could say it's a 1-3 scale, but it's really not. That would make some people think that all 3s are of the same caliber. Which they're not.

Also, we're making this a forum project simply because the point is for people playing said game to discuss it with the review. Agreement, disagreement, etc. In other words, reasonably concise and on-topic discussion of a single game per thread.

Now, who can make threads in here? Right now only the following groups: administrators, moderators, developers and contributors.

If you want to review something and want it posted, send it to me or another staff member (green and sky blue names). The reason we're keeping it so strict is because all of these reviews will get posted onto another site (butisitfun.com). That site will then generate the RSS feeds needed to make entries into this experiment elegantly fit into the main f13 frontpage.

As such, I'll say this simply for those that can post here and those that may get the privilege extended to them:

Don't do anything stupid (like engadget did once with kotaku - tubgirling their frontpage). The banhammer is strong and swift with this one. And don't test us.

Rules:

Posts need to look like this:

Subject: Game Title - Developer - System

Content/Post Itself:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Morbi purus. Nam aliquam, purus ut sagittis porta, quam lacus eleifend nisl, pharetra fermentum urna orci id massa. Sed tempor porta eros. Nam rhoncus pulvinar felis. Nulla tempor, nisi pulvinar dapibus nonummy, massa nibh rhoncus dui, a condimentum tellus mi in sapien. In tristique tellus eu felis. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Ut nibh ante, cursus at, consectetuer nec, ullamcorper nec, pede. Sed imperdiet elit quis nisi. Integer dapibus porta justo. Quisque sollicitudin est ac est.

Cras sagittis. Suspendisse luctus, quam quis mattis facilisis, turpis felis euismod nisl, et mollis mi magna et nisi. Cras ante magna, consectetuer vel, iaculis vitae, pulvinar eget, lectus. Maecenas egestas, dolor feugiat fringilla fringilla, tortor nulla euismod mauris, ut euismod est leo ut purus. Pellentesque orci urna, porttitor porta, porttitor sit amet, rhoncus et, nibh. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Nunc velit. Proin sed leo ut lorem malesuada scelerisque. Fusce metus nulla, volutpat a, lobortis quis, sodales ac, arcu. Nullam eu neque iaculis felis suscipit euismod. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos. Aliquam vehicula nisl eu arcu. Suspendisse rhoncus.

Nam ac ligula et nisi suscipit aliquam. Nam tincidunt nunc a libero. Nulla facilisi. Quisque vehicula. Sed sit amet arcu. Phasellus velit. Donec urna. Etiam urna. Praesent eros felis, egestas a, dictum eget, faucibus vel, massa. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos. Praesent velit. In eros mauris, iaculis quis, posuere at, pulvinar quis, neque. Aliquam sit amet elit sit amet felis fermentum mattis. Nulla felis pede, condimentum et, mollis sed, rhoncus nec, nunc. Duis euismod nisl placerat metus. Vestibulum ipsum lacus, pretium in, elementum ac, faucibus eget, augue. Curabitur enim justo, posuere a, feugiat eu, pulvinar et, eros.

Phasellus vitae felis. Vivamus eu orci. Donec dignissim facilisis erat. Cras nulla velit, vulputate a, ultrices et, suscipit in, tellus. Pellentesque ullamcorper sodales metus. Aliquam sagittis placerat neque. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos hymenaeos. Donec a orci. Ut placerat. Phasellus commodo, nulla vitae posuere semper, massa turpis imperdiet ipsum, fermentum sollicitudin massa nunc id velit.
-
Rating: Buy It, Rent it, Stay Away

Now, as you can see, that's 4 paragraphs (which equates to about 360 words). Much, much shorter than your average review, and something that most people exceed whenever they make the post in the PC/Gaming forum about a new game. Now is 4 paragraphs needed? No. It can be 2, 3, or 4.

But please try to keep it under 400 words.

IMPORTANT: IF YOU WANT TO POST IMAGES, MAKE ANOTHER POST FOLLOWING YOUR FIRST ONE, AS IT WILL NOT BE MOVED TO OTHER PARTS OF THE SITE.

And yes, we're super about following the format guidelines.

-

Boy, I sure have written a lot. Thankfully there's a tl;dr version:

0. Admin, Mods, Developers and Contributors can make topics. If you want to submit something, send it to a member of staff (green or sky blue names).
1. Subject: Game Name - Developer - System
2. Post content (2, 3, or 4 paragraphs). If you want images, put it in the second post).
3. Rating after the content spaced down a line (with a dash inbetween if you so feel like it).
4. Make sure the post contains a brief description and why you're still playing it or why you've put it down for now (or forever).
5. Press submit.

And that's it. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 08:38:01 PM by schild »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:19:44 AM

This will be up in a day or two. Took more work than expected.

Some of the frontpage integration will be different, working out some kinks.

Any questions or concerns, go ahead and post in this thread.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:27:38 AM

Is it time?  I have a cold Phoenix Wright cart ready for the experiment.  Also Elite Beat Agents.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 09:29:38 AM

Hopefully be done tonight.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:29:59 AM

I downloaded Tabula Rasa.   awesome, for real

Soul Nomad is ready to go.

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 10:02:50 AM

I see your Tabula Rasa and raise you an Enchanted Arms.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 10:04:31 AM

I cannot compete with that gayness.

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 02:57:05 PM

Anything in particular that's off-limits?  I mean, presumably any major releases that already get discussed here would be redundant, but what about imports, expansions, anything that would be next to impossible for anyone else to find if they wanted to try it after reading the review. etc...?  Also, given the inability to rent PC games, would the "rent it" score just equate to "track down a demo, or if one isn't available, buy at your own risk"?
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 02:57:23 PM

Sounds like a good concept to me.  I'll probably write a few reviews, if only because I've far too much time on my hands right now.
schild
Administrator

Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 03:13:33 PM

Anything in particular that's off-limits?  I mean, presumably any major releases that already get discussed here would be redundant, but what about imports, expansions, anything that would be next to impossible for anyone else to find if they wanted to try it after reading the review. etc...?  Also, given the inability to rent PC games, would the "rent it" score just equate to "track down a demo, or if one isn't available, buy at your own risk"?

PC should theoretically be "Buy it" "Demo It" "Avoid it." Anything Off-Limits? Nope.

I'll probably write a few reviews, if only because I've far too much time on my hands right now.

No, you won't.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:41:44 PM

Dibs on Love and Berry.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 02:26:57 AM

Downloading the Universe at War Demo.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 08:48:23 AM

Also, given the inability to rent PC games, would the "rent it" score just equate to "track down a demo, or if one isn't available, buy at your own risk"?

Torrent it?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 09:11:53 AM

schild
Administrator

Katamari Damacy Dooby
Doo Waa

Could your stuff get any longer?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 09:22:00 AM

Yes.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 01:33:47 PM

I'll probably write a few reviews, if only because I've far too much time on my hands right now.

No, you won't.

Heart

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 01:54:09 PM

Suit yourself, I'm actually reasonably good at reviews.   At least, much better than I am at telling the future.  Hindsight and all.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 01:56:17 PM

Edit: Sorry, that was mean. I meant don't care. Answer is still No.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:59:10 PM by schild »
lesion

Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 01:59:27 PM

Question: can you point buttfun.f13.net to the site?

steam|a grue \[T]/
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 04:04:30 PM

Suit yourself, I'm actually reasonably good at reviews.   At least, much better than I am at telling the future.  Hindsight and all.

You gave Vanguard an 8.0.

Epic Fail, Especially when compared to your other reviews.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Strazos

Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 04:06:26 PM

Also, any chance I can do La Pucelle Tactics, even though I have already finished it?

And how about Gal Civ II?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 04:09:07 PM

Wow, you review like 1up, gamespot and gamespy, pretty much all 8s with just a few 7s and 9s.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 04:20:38 PM

I don't play enough bad games is why my reviews tend to skew a bit high.   My Vanguard review wasn't that much out line with the industry average.

Moot point, I'm leaving you in peace with this endeavor.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 04:59:14 PM

Also, any chance I can do La Pucelle Tactics, even though I have already finished it?

And how about Gal Civ II?

No.

The point is, initial reaction, in fact I'd argue people reviewing shit that they know the peer group loves or hates is kinda stupid.  Not that I have any say, but the way I read it the system only works if you play less then 8 hours and write your thoughts.  That's sort of the point, don't worry about anything beyond, is the game fun.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos

Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 05:05:57 PM

I don't play enough bad games is why my reviews tend to skew a bit high.   My Vanguard review wasn't that much out line with the industry average.

Yes, quote the knobgobblers at the more mainstream sites as a way to validate your own review. Good Job.

Fear the Backstab!
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 05:29:13 PM

Yes, quote the knobgobblers at the more mainstream sites as a way to validate your own review. Good Job.

I give this criticism a 7.5
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: December 18, 2007, 05:34:18 PM

Sorry, I'd have tried to find a more appropriate mark to compare my Vanguard review to, but none of the Goths down at the roller rink would admit to playing an MMORPG.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: December 18, 2007, 06:43:25 PM

I don't recognize enough bad games is why my reviews tend to skew a bit high. 

Fixed.  awesome, for real

So when does this start? I'll planning on getting Fire Pro Returns and Power Pro Baseball soon, I can always accelerate that process. Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I suck at reading and life.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #28 on: December 18, 2007, 06:52:31 PM

What's going on here?  Are you kids smoking dope again?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #29 on: December 18, 2007, 06:56:19 PM

You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #30 on: December 18, 2007, 08:14:41 PM

You're gonna be doing alot of doobie rolling when you're living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

ROFLOLLMAO

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: December 19, 2007, 12:00:54 AM

Front page is fucked for me, right side-bar is script instead of script output. IE7.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: December 19, 2007, 12:10:01 AM

Well holy shit. Stupid cross compatibility trash.
HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #33 on: December 19, 2007, 09:30:27 AM

This is fantastic.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #34 on: December 19, 2007, 09:39:11 AM

I see tiny links in the upper right corner of the front page, don't expect anybody else to though.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: The Concept (and the Rules of Engagement)  
Jump to: