Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:24:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: IGN Top 100 Games of ALL TIME, 2007 edition 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGN Top 100 Games of ALL TIME, 2007 edition  (Read 45885 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #140 on: November 30, 2007, 12:06:00 PM

I see there are quite a few Fallout 2 and Diablo II on there.  The fact D2 is beating out D2LoD concerns me somewhat.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #141 on: November 30, 2007, 01:12:01 PM

The fact D2 is beating out D2LoD concerns me somewhat.

I doubt some people are making a distinction between the two.  I'm not sure I would have if I had put down D2.

I'm one of the only people I know that really loved D1 but can't stand D2.

-Rasix
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #142 on: November 30, 2007, 01:13:25 PM

Me too.

Lego Star Wars is more fun than Tie Fighter.
I disagree with what you said.

I noticed someone put up a spacehulk 3DO game. I never knew it existed, I've played and loved the tabletop version. Now I need to find an emulator and try it out.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #143 on: November 30, 2007, 01:16:50 PM

I noticed someone put up a spacehulk 3DO game. I never knew it existed, I've played and loved the tabletop version. Now I need to find an emulator and try it out.
That game was ace - I think it was also on the PS1 as well. You could switch from a tactical overview mode to first person view from any of your marines. I played it so much.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #144 on: November 30, 2007, 01:24:13 PM

That Space Hulk game was originally on the PC.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #145 on: November 30, 2007, 01:26:50 PM

I doubt some people are making a distinction between the two.

Part of my concern.  I recall Diablo II being disappointing yet fun, but the expansion was tasty.  I was even tempted to specifically call out Diablo II: Lord of Destruction v1.10, but I'm weird.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: November 30, 2007, 01:35:44 PM

No love for Commander Keen?  Used to love that game.  Best 2D platformer after Mario.  Heart in my opinion.

...wait.  Anyone ever play Commander Keen? awesome, for real
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #147 on: November 30, 2007, 01:35:57 PM

I doubt some people are making a distinction between the two.

Part of my concern.  I recall Diablo II being disappointing yet fun, but the expansion was tasty.  I was even tempted to specifically call out Diablo II: Lord of Destruction v1.10, but I'm weird.
Yeah I referenced the entire DII corpus as one game in the same way as I meant Dawn of War with Winter Assault and Civ IV with Barbarians when I mentioned those games. Expansions are part of the core game and shouldn't be considered as separate entities - especially with regard to MMOs.

Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: November 30, 2007, 02:15:51 PM

There are 3 commercial Space Hulk games.
The original DOS game that used Dark Angels' Deathwing Company
The Windows 9x, Saturn, 3D0, and PS1 game that used the Blood Angels
A Cell Phone game.  Apparently only one to have an actual turn based just like the boardgame mode.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #149 on: November 30, 2007, 02:20:48 PM

A Cell Phone game.  Apparently only one to have an actual turn based just like the boardgame mode.
I remember an old Amiga game that was a direct port of the board game - complete with dice rolling animations and everything. This would have been about 70 billion years before anyone owned a cellphone so it's likely that the cellphone game is in fact a port of that game into Java or something.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #150 on: November 30, 2007, 03:44:17 PM

Yeah I played the Blood Angels version on 9x Windows, that was good times.  It was just you versus 'steelers right? 

D1 > D2:anything

Diablo2 was so graphically dissapointing to me that I could never get that fired up about it.  I would still go play it from time to time if I hadn't lost/broken my discs.  I still have my D1 disc in its original jewel case.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: November 30, 2007, 04:43:09 PM

Put me in the camp that loved D1 and couldn't even be bothered to finish D2, even bought the expansion in the hopes it would change my mind but just no dice. 
Sutro
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: November 30, 2007, 05:41:52 PM

I played Commander Keen! Good times... but not top 20 material.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: November 30, 2007, 07:45:46 PM

Commander Keen was a personal choice.  One of my all time favorite games growing up. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: November 30, 2007, 08:10:46 PM

Never liked it.

Star Control 2 is doing surprisingly well, and I've seen Master of Orion 2 a few times as well. I see a lot of 2's in general. Second time's the charm I guess.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: December 01, 2007, 12:51:24 AM

Commander Keen was a personal choice.  One of my all time favorite games growing up. 

Of all the platform games I remember as a kid Commander Keen was ok. Captain Comic was better (http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/136). But I hate platform games for the most part. So neither got in my top 20.

Me too.

Diablo 2 was awful if you ask me, and Diablo was ok just fun. So I guess I'm of similar feeling too. But without much initial love for the whole genre. Give me Nethack or Adom any day.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 12:54:01 AM by lamaros »
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #156 on: December 01, 2007, 08:42:56 AM

I'm amazed at how many people can't actually read the instructions for the contest.  It's a short list people, with the main one being:

GAME NAME DASH DEVELOPER DASH SYSTEM DASH RELEASE YEAR OPTIONAL COMMENTS

As a tech guy, instructions like that are very important, since it allows you to sort and collate lists with scripts instead of doing it by hand. Since he put IMPORTANT by that specific instruction, I fully expect people not following that format to not be counted.

That means no numbers in front (it's not a numbered list), no "Game name (developer)", or any other odd deviations. Also, if you're lazy enough that you can't even be bothered to look up the relevant information on the games on your list, I'm not sure you even deserve to be counted anyway. It's a speed bump, a curb that denotes a bare minimum sort of effort on your part.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 08:48:15 AM by bhodi »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #157 on: December 01, 2007, 09:36:48 AM

Heh, thanks. Didn't notice my format was off.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #158 on: December 01, 2007, 11:03:09 AM

Your format is still off. I said to put the comments at the end. Basically, that list thing is going to be a MONSTER SIZED PAIN IN THE ASS because people just can't f'ing read. I hate that. Should've made an online form.

I actually said even less than that:

2. You can, if you REALLY FEEL THE NEED TO VALIDATE YOUR OWN OPINION (psychos), post a brief paragraph.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #159 on: December 01, 2007, 11:37:44 AM

I fixt mine, can I have a cookie?   this guy looks legit

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #160 on: December 01, 2007, 01:53:39 PM

So I split my paragraph up.

If you feel the need, Schild, edit the stuff out of my list. Hello Kitty

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #161 on: December 01, 2007, 01:55:13 PM

If you feel the need, Schild, edit the stuff out of my list. Hello Kitty

No, I think you will.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: December 01, 2007, 02:14:37 PM

That means no numbers in front (it's not a numbered list), no "Game name (developer)", or any other odd deviations. Also, if you're lazy enough that you can't even be bothered to look up the relevant information on the games on your list, I'm not sure you even deserve to be counted anyway. It's a speed bump, a curb that denotes a bare minimum sort of effort on your part.

It's not a fucking job, it's something for fun. As I already pointed out the rules make it unscientific so forgive me if I'm too lazy to look up the dates so that it's easier to compile a meaningless invalid list.

If you want something really scientific I have two suggestions:

1. Don't introduce arbitrary rules the invalidate any ranking.
2. Create a web form for people to fill in to deal with formatting issues.

Guess what? I don't feel like looking up exact dates, and I numbered the list so that I could keep track of the numbers. Cry me a river.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #163 on: December 01, 2007, 02:22:45 PM

Hey, I said the dates and developers and such were optional.

I am looking at things like trends in playing habits and favored developers. But I don't want those favored developers to come from nostalgic bullshit, like if someone bought Mario Sunshine adn just thought it was the bees knees. I want them to pick a Mario. Because honestly, you'd think most would have one on their list and it would still be one of the most popular series listed. Even without doubling up on Mario World and Mario 3.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: December 01, 2007, 02:41:46 PM

I remember an old Amiga game that was a direct port of the board game - complete with dice rolling animations and everything. This would have been about 70 billion years before anyone owned a cellphone so it's likely that the cellphone game is in fact a port of that game into Java or something.

You are thinking of a different game, Space Crusade.  It had dice rolling animations and is the same basic concept.  Except its not Space Marine Terminators vs Genestealers. Its standard marines vs Necrons, Chaos, Orcs, and Genestealers.  Cept the Necrons were known as Chaos Androids back then...  Ive got that one too.

geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: December 02, 2007, 11:47:06 PM

I see Psychonauts didn't make the list.  I suppose i can sympathize seeing how I forgot to add it to mine, too.
schild
Administrator

Reply #166 on: December 02, 2007, 11:49:04 PM

10. Resident Evil 4
9. Final Fantasy III
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Super Metroid
6. Half Life 2

5. Super Mario 64 SMB3 should have been here.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Civilization II

2. Tetris
1. Super Mario Bros.

Not a bad performance for a top ten from IGN.
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #167 on: December 03, 2007, 12:08:28 AM

Tetris? Really?  Don't get me wrong, I love the oldschool as much as the next guy, but I just can't see tetris being the second best game ever.  Galaga is infinitely more fun than tetris, although it won't help you organize your closet.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: December 03, 2007, 12:54:09 AM

That's the trouble with Top x lists - "best in what way" remains an unanswered question.  If I had to guess. I'd say a lot of Tetris's #2 position came from, "OMG, remember when that was the game everybody played?  Yeah, Tetris is great."
schild
Administrator

Reply #169 on: December 03, 2007, 01:01:02 AM

Tetris is still fantastic. There's a reason I got the NAOMI board for my arcade machine.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #170 on: December 03, 2007, 03:55:15 AM

Tons of people I know play Tetris on their cell/ti-83/insert_random_electronic_here.

I'd say it's still that game people love to play. It's just goddamn fun.

Now if I could invent a Pachinko game coupled with Tetris....  awesome, for real

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #171 on: December 03, 2007, 03:55:26 AM

That's the same top 10 list as every other top 10 list.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #172 on: December 03, 2007, 08:07:22 AM

10. Resident Evil 4
9. Final Fantasy III
8. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
7. Super Metroid
6. Half Life 2

5. Super Mario 64 SMB3 should have been here.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Civilization II

2. Tetris
1. Super Mario Bros.

Not a bad performance for a top ten from IGN.

swamp poop

I don't have a problem with the top 3 - Civ 2 should be there. Beyond that though - Four Zeldas, two in the top ten. Two entire games that appeared on the C64 that I can see in that list, and neither of them is M.U.L.E. This list fails.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #173 on: December 03, 2007, 08:52:37 AM

Two entire games that appeared on the C64 that I can see in that list, and neither of them is M.U.L.E. This list fails.

Let's have freak children together.

schild
Administrator

Reply #174 on: December 03, 2007, 08:59:17 AM

'Freak' was just the word I was looking for.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: IGN Top 100 Games of ALL TIME, 2007 edition  
Jump to: