Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 04:21:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: IGN Top 100 Games of ALL TIME, 2007 edition 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IGN Top 100 Games of ALL TIME, 2007 edition  (Read 45883 times)
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 22, 2007, 07:18:26 AM

Also missing are more flight/ space combat games (I nominate TIE Fighter)

Hell, that deserves to be in the top 20.  Damn that game ruled.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 22, 2007, 09:17:40 AM

There are minor games like the Exile series and other things by Spiderweb that I thought were amazing. Also, if we are talking about great predecessors of the genre, some sort of MUD would have to be thrown in.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #72 on: November 22, 2007, 10:58:28 AM

Oh, yeah. Jagged Alliance 1/2. Great games! Putting the arab bomber with the wimpy medic was always fun, at some point tensions were sure to boil and he'd blow up the wimp. Goddammit, there's a game in need of a reskin.

I'm wondering what kind of games you guys would put up for the beat 'em up genre. I know something like Super Battletoads or Double Dragon and such are easy choices, but I loved me some Streets of Rage (specifically 2).
I'd say Double Dragon because at one point it was the most played game in existence around here. There were two machines in town, both with different handling. My singer and I were kings of the bowling alley machine, some other guys ruled the supermarket machine.

But I would also add X-Men Legends 2 or Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Great Gauntlet descendants. I guess Gauntlet gets a nod, too.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 22, 2007, 01:38:01 PM

Won't even bother to sift through that weak spam exhibit, but here goes my top 10 not in any order…

1. Nethack
2. Civilization (either Civ II or the 2+ year old patched Civ III)
3. SimCity
4. C&C the original
5. Age of Empires
6. Kohan
7. Road Rash
8. Virtua Fighter (2 or 3)
9. Paperboy (the original arcade version, yeah I'll get bashed for that)
10. Dominions 3

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 22, 2007, 02:37:58 PM

Gotta agree with C&C the original.  Fucking masterpiece that shitty RTS games these days can't even hold a candle to.  Including, oddly enough, the latest C&C games.

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #75 on: November 22, 2007, 02:59:49 PM

If I made a top 20 list or somethin', I'm sure half of them would be Adventure games..
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #76 on: November 22, 2007, 06:44:21 PM

Hmm, you have at least 3 RTS games in that list....

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #77 on: November 23, 2007, 04:15:36 AM

What? No one mentioned any of the Monkey Island-games yet? *Disappointed*

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #78 on: November 23, 2007, 06:47:06 AM

Obviously, I'm just about the biggest BG fan around here.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm wondering what kind of games you guys would put up for the beat 'em up genre. I know something like Super Battletoads or Double Dragon and such are easy choices, but I loved me some Streets of Rage (specifically 2).

For beat 'em ups, I was tossing up between Final Fight and Golden Axe. I settled on Final Fight because it did a lot more interesting things and I don't think beat 'em ups have really improved from that point forward. Got better looking, sure, but I don't think the gameplay formula really moved on much or any new mechanics (i.e. wall jumps, special moves, throws, etc) were added.

From earlier, I'd go Paradroid 90 (Amiga) over Paradroid (C64) - it was just a smoother game and you didn't have to memorise the bot numbers.

2D platformers - well, Monty on the Run (C64) was a childhood favourite, but I think Bubble Bobble (arcade) is an essential inclusion. EDIT - on the subject of Monty on the Run someone has too much time on their hands.

From the RTS perspective, Myth II (PC) had an awesome storyline and real feelings of tension when playing. You couldn't just churn out another unit - you actually had to manage the ones you had.

Deus Ex is an easy choice, as is System Shock 2 (both PC). So is CounterStrike (PC) for what it did for online FPSs.

Horror games - Silent Hill (PS) should be on any essential games list, while Silent Hill 2 (Xbox) is a little less certain. Clive Barker's Undying (PC) was a great horror / FPS mix, but I think I was more scared playing Fatal Frame (Xbox) (or at least had more jump starts from that one).

I also loved the Quest for Glory (PC) series. Also Wing Commander (PC) - the first one was the best, imo. Or at least held my interest the longest.

RPGs - I played Vagrant Story more than I should of and I still didn't max out my weapons and armour.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 06:54:17 AM by UnSub »

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #79 on: November 23, 2007, 06:59:44 AM

What? No one mentioned any of the Monkey Island-games yet? *Disappointed*

As I said, half of my list would be adventure games...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: November 23, 2007, 07:09:39 AM

I might put Trust and Betrayal: The Legacy of Siboot on the "should be played" list, but not on the "all-time classics" list, if that makes sense. It was an interesting try to do something very different at an early stage of the evolution of digital games.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: November 23, 2007, 10:20:59 AM

Tri do you play the SNES cart, the PSone port, or a ROM? Used to have it in cart form but it went on an adventure to parts unknown and has yet to return. And the loading times on PSone before damn near everything seriously invade my mother fucking.

ROM.  I've never played it on the PS1.  Of course, I beat it in less than 24 hours and then delete the ROM from my computer, as federal requires.   Hello Kitty

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #82 on: November 23, 2007, 12:51:47 PM

Interesting (?) bracket from 70 to 61: Wolfenstein 3D, Total Annihilation and Thief II (updated my first post).

Btw, regarding beat-em up, I'm torn between Final Fight, Double Dragon 1 and Golden Axe...hmm...

Can we consider good ol' Shinobi (great game, imo) a beat em up?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Strazos

Reply #83 on: November 23, 2007, 02:55:19 PM

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (compete edition, of course). Game was fucking epic.

Also, the Max Payne games. How many others have shamelessly ripped the bullet-time mechanics from these guys? And who has done it better (hint: no one).

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #84 on: November 23, 2007, 03:24:57 PM

(hint: no one).

Red Dead Revolver

Yes.
Strazos

Reply #85 on: November 23, 2007, 04:15:25 PM

While I myself loved Red Dead Revolver, I'm not sure it's exactly the same thing (or at least I only remember it being mainly for duels).

Fear the Backstab!
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: November 28, 2007, 03:00:35 AM

Deus Ex earns a WHOPPING (:P) n.34 spot, followed by Fallout 1 at n.33. Meh.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #87 on: November 28, 2007, 04:36:25 AM

Um, you could figure out that the list was going to suck from the placement of Quake 2 and Syndicate. IGN are duds, news at 11.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #88 on: November 28, 2007, 07:17:54 AM

So when all this is over, someone's going to type up the list so I don't have to hit "next page" about a hundred times, right?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 28, 2007, 07:58:49 AM

So when all this is over, someone's going to type up the list so I don't have to hit "next page" about a hundred times, right?

Check the first message of this topic :P

HAMMER FRENZY
Contributor

Reply #90 on: November 28, 2007, 08:42:38 AM

This thread is interesting cause there is a lot of good ideas bing thrown out.

I have to jump in on Beat-Em-Ups though. Cause I love those fuckers. Best brawlers for me are the Streets of Rage series, and Alien vs. Predator. We can throw in some Sengoku 2 and some Kunio Kun stuff.

I really don't think that Golden Axe, (God bless its soul) can hang with those games.

Double Dragon was way good, especially Super DD and Double Dragon Advance.

Gaurdian Heroes is up there too. (Saturn)

Shinobi is not a brawler. It is a side scrolling arcade action game. But I think that Shinobi 2 and 3 are WAY THE FUCK UP THERE in quality. Shinobi 3 was a goddamn monster. It was a great game. That is just a fantastic series. All the games were good. Even the Game Gear games. They were crazy hot. (Note the GBA shinobi doesn't count!)

Last. I fucking LOVE Red Dead Revolver. Seriously one of my favorite games. I played so much multiplayer on that game. It is really fun.

My Genesis games... LET ME SHOW YOU THEM!
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #91 on: November 28, 2007, 09:47:24 AM

Check the first message of this topic :P
Now that's service!
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 28, 2007, 12:44:01 PM

Hmm, you have at least 3 RTS games in that list....

Sadly, the genre stagnated…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 28, 2007, 12:49:55 PM

Not sure if its been mentioned, but if i were to make a list, on the top somewhere would be

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: November 28, 2007, 01:24:23 PM

A personal favorite of mine was Cadash. It was a 2D side scroller with RPG elements. The classes all played fairly differently and it didn't have too many fights where you were guaranteed to have to shove quarters in the thing. It was also one of the first games I saw to allow linking cabinets so four players could play with 2 screens.

Another game I'd put in my top 100 is Mutant League Football for the Genesis. That was a damn fine sports game.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 28, 2007, 01:29:59 PM

Not sure if its been mentioned, but if i were to make a list, on the top somewhere would be

Heh, I surely think so: "Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds" tops my personal all-time chart (but the first chapter was good too).

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 28, 2007, 01:48:13 PM

Another game I'd put in my top 100 is Mutant League Football for the Genesis. That was a damn fine sports game.

My two favoritest games ever.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 28, 2007, 01:55:50 PM

Heh, I surely think so: "Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds" tops my personal all-time chart (but the first chapter was good too).

IMO , the first chapter was the best. 2 was disappointing to me. BTW, anyone got a emulator running any of thies?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: November 28, 2007, 01:57:12 PM

Regarding sports games, what do you guys think about Cinemaware's efforts? I only played TV Sports Football and Basketball, but I think the former was quite great. Am I also the only one in here who enjoyed the old "street" titles on C64? I remember countless hours spent on Street Sports Basketball.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #99 on: November 28, 2007, 03:17:51 PM

A bunch of names that should be on any top 100 games list: Q*Bert, Gauntlet, Tempest, Jet Set Willy, Knight Lore, Elite, Populous, Game & Watch 'widescreen' Fire...

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: November 28, 2007, 03:26:56 PM

How many would argue against Starcraft being #1? I know this is a moley post, but I've never played such a polished game, ever. I still fire it up every now and then and marvel at its amazingness.

schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: November 28, 2007, 03:31:23 PM

Starcraft has no business being number 1. That spot is reserved for things like Mario Bros, Tetris, Pac-Man, etc.

And that's not even because they're necessarily better games (though arguably, they all are), but rather because they changed the fucking world. S.Korea was already crazy before Starcraft. It didn't change much anything.

In fact, I wouldn't even put Starcraft in the Top Ten. Top 20? Definitely. Either that or Warcraft 2.
cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: November 28, 2007, 03:32:21 PM

I guess you're right. I logged countless hours playing SMB3/SMB. Sometimes I forget where I come from and where games have been in the past.

schild
Administrator

Reply #103 on: November 28, 2007, 03:33:20 PM

I've got 4 days off work. I'm going to try and put together a top 100 for myself.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: November 28, 2007, 03:40:06 PM

LOL, three or fours days ago I turned on Steem (Atari ST emulator) again, and actually enjoyed a lot re-playing Bombjack, Arkanoid and Pacmania.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: IGN Top 100 Games of ALL TIME, 2007 edition  
Jump to: