Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 12:22:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822654 times)
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #875 on: July 23, 2009, 06:16:28 AM

You can be godly and still have a sense of gritty deadliness.  A superfast hero can still die with a .38 to the face.  The invincible man can still fall into a tree-cutter.  And all have their psychological demons to deal with.
The vast majority of gamers are playing games where they may be "special" but they're by no means 4-color super-ish... and they like it.   So, I find it a stretch to think that every Supers game has to make its PCs "super."

Make them heroes, give them godlike powers, and put them in a World that means/relates to something.

Dude, your handle is that of the second cheesiest Marvel character ever (right after Venom).  Let's just say that your opinion on comics is suspect.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #876 on: July 23, 2009, 08:15:22 AM

Be careful, he might throw a card at you!

Gambit's deadliest weapon? The race card.
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #877 on: July 23, 2009, 08:48:35 AM

http://champions-online.com/node/97747

The role/stance design wrinkle is kinda interesting. Kinda.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #878 on: July 23, 2009, 10:30:59 AM

You can be godly and still have a sense of gritty deadliness.  A superfast hero can still die with a .38 to the face.  The invincible man can still fall into a tree-cutter.  And all have their psychological demons to deal with.
The vast majority of gamers are playing games where they may be "special" but they're by no means 4-color super-ish... and they like it.   So, I find it a stretch to think that every Supers game has to make its PCs "super."

Make them heroes, give them godlike powers, and put them in a World that means/relates to something.

Dude, your handle is that of the second cheesiest Marvel character ever (right after Venom).  Let's just say that your opinion on comics is suspect.   DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Bah, I choose that handle because it was my nickname in High School (everyone had an x-men handle).  And mostly because I loved games (was good at cards), spoke French, was good with the Bo, and was good with the ladies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
BUT, how in the bloody hell do you believe that Remy Lebeau was a cheesy character??  The man controlled kinetic energy, was a ladykiller, the king at poker, half-bad, and was made into the harbinger of Death. (to name just a few).  There are plenty of Marvel chars. cheesier than him; like Cyclops.  God I hate Cyclops.  Oh, and Captain America.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #879 on: July 23, 2009, 11:03:43 AM

Bah, I choose that handle because it was my nickname in High School (everyone had an x-men handle). 

ACK!

And mostly because I loved games (was good at cards), spoke French, was good with the Bo, and was good with the ladies. 

swamp poop

BUT, how in the bloody hell do you believe that Remy Lebeau was a cheesy character??  The man controlled kinetic energy, was a ladykiller, the king at poker, half-bad, and was made into the harbinger of Death.

Ohhhhh, I see.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #880 on: July 23, 2009, 03:42:15 PM

Who gives a shit? It was fun. It's not exactly like WoW, or really any major MMO in the past couple years, hasn't been easy.

I think it was more fun (and a better game) afterwards. /shrug

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #881 on: July 24, 2009, 02:07:07 AM

There are plenty of Marvel chars. cheesier than him; like CyclopsGod I hate Cyclops.  Oh, and Captain America.
[/quote]

You suck.

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: July 24, 2009, 09:38:09 AM

I'm not sure why Gambit was a lady-killer.  He was slimy as a greased gator.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: July 24, 2009, 09:50:01 AM

The "Charm" power was built into his DNA.
Agree though, quite a slimy-lookin dude.  Given that he's a Cajun it makes sense he's a bit of a greased-gator though eh?

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #884 on: July 24, 2009, 11:28:51 AM

There is a possibility I chose my wording based upon his background.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: July 24, 2009, 11:44:52 AM

Thought so Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
The Lantyssa wit prevails.  But, I still felt compelled to educate the uninformed to the logic behind your statement.

But, back on-topic.  From what I'm feeling in this thread, looks like most folks gravitate more towards playing a classical 4-color uber-super goodguy type heroes game rather than a grittier, deadlier, smarmier type system.  Touche' I guess.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #886 on: July 24, 2009, 12:28:55 PM

No, Gambit is just a douchebag.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #887 on: July 24, 2009, 12:58:44 PM

Bah, I choose that handle because it was my nickname in High School (everyone had an x-men handle). 

ACK!

And mostly because I loved games (was good at cards), spoke French, was good with the Bo, and was good with the ladies. 

swamp poop

BUT, how in the bloody hell do you believe that Remy Lebeau was a cheesy character??  The man controlled kinetic energy, was a ladykiller, the king at poker, half-bad, and was made into the harbinger of Death.

Ohhhhh, I see.

This derail can only lead to more good things, please I would hear tales of your high school days with your trusty Bo staff and half the cheer leading team slavering for your...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #888 on: July 24, 2009, 01:26:13 PM

But, back on-topic.  From what I'm feeling in this thread, looks like most folks gravitate more towards playing a classical 4-color uber-super goodguy type heroes game rather than a grittier, deadlier, smarmier type system.  Touche' I guess.

There's Prototype for that.

But the thing you described doesn't sound fun to that many people at all. "You're a superhero with incredible powers and... you've just taken a .38 to the head and have died. Sorry about that."

People play a superhero game to play a super character. They want to be Wolverine - a hardass who can't die - about 10x more than they want to be The Question - a detective with no real powers who fights well.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #889 on: July 24, 2009, 02:18:29 PM

People play a superhero game to play a super character. They want to be Wolverine - a hardass who can't die - about 10x more than they want to be The Question - a detective with no real powers who fights well.

What I'm talking about is directed greatness, not just a hodgepodge of indestructable hack 'n slash.  Where is the sense of accomplishment if you're a demigod?
Wolverine is actually a good example of a grittier character.  His best attack is when someone strong just throws him at the enemy  awesome, for real
It's actually more exciting and creates a better synergy with his fellow "heroes" this way, rather than having a guy like Superman or Ghost Rider wherein you're just basically unstoppable in every way.

Good, interesting heroes need debilitating vices and a severe lack of power in many areas.  And in a Multiplayer coop-oriented game, this makes more sense.  No one's saying they should have NO real powers (I aint talkin Batman), but they shouldnt just be unstoppable either.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #890 on: July 24, 2009, 03:06:41 PM

Well that explains the current steep death penalties and abundance of perma-death servers in MMO's then.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: July 24, 2009, 03:47:12 PM

Well that explains the current steep death penalties and abundance of perma-death servers in MMO's then.

Did I once mention DPs or perma-death?  Dont over-simplify it.  It's not even relevant.

Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: July 24, 2009, 04:04:18 PM

I'm so gonna regret saying this, but doesn't it seem the role of Ghambit was just custom made for Lost's own Sawyer?  Wonder why his agent didn't get him that gig.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #893 on: July 24, 2009, 04:31:32 PM

I'd chalk that one up to the (usually bitter) stereotype of women digging the assholes.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #894 on: July 24, 2009, 04:54:14 PM

I'd chalk that one up to the (usually bitter) stereotype of women digging the assholes.

Since comics are largely written by (bitter) dorks, it's rather obvious they'd perpetuate that stereotype.
Nowadays, Dork is the new Jock though... and things are flipped

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: July 24, 2009, 05:08:45 PM

Huh?  Is this one of those 80's "it's hip to be square" things?  I've got news for you, it wasn't hip then either.

Chicks are still going to want to bang the captain of the football team, not the chess club.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #896 on: July 24, 2009, 05:40:38 PM

Actually they want both.  Take Hugh Jackman for instance.  Big into the arts, smart, but ripped.  I'd go straight for Hugh, at least for a little while.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: July 24, 2009, 06:02:56 PM

Huh?  Is this one of those 80's "it's hip to be square" things?  I've got news for you, it wasn't hip then either.

Chicks are still going to want to bang the captain of the football team, not the chess club.

By "nowadays" he means "now that the president of the chess club is a dotcom billionaire and the captain of the football team just got laid off his mid level office job".

I am the .00000001428%
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #898 on: July 24, 2009, 07:01:43 PM

A bad economy breeds the best relationships   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: July 24, 2009, 07:18:30 PM

I would have had a hard time believing you fuckers could nerd up an internet thread about a videogame based on comic books, but you sure fucking managed to.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #900 on: July 27, 2009, 12:39:12 PM

I'm so gonna regret saying this, but doesn't it seem the role of Ghambit was just custom made for Lost's own Sawyer?  Wonder why his agent didn't get him that gig.

I have actually been saying this for a while.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #901 on: July 27, 2009, 02:26:24 PM

What made the purple-patch dumb was that the game was obviously 4-color, yet they tried to make it grittier (in the dumbest way possible). 

No, they tried to make it GRINDIER because they wanted longer subscriptions. There was nothing narrative or immersive to it, it was merely to keep people subscribed because they were "leveling too fast."

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: July 27, 2009, 04:18:00 PM

What made the purple-patch dumb was that the game was obviously 4-color, yet they tried to make it grittier (in the dumbest way possible). 

No, they tried to make it GRINDIER because they wanted longer subscriptions. There was nothing narrative or immersive to it, it was merely to keep people subscribed because they were "leveling too fast."

"Grittier (in the dumbest way possible)" == grindier

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #903 on: July 27, 2009, 07:58:13 PM

I could get into the stupidity of some early CoH tactics - dumpster diving, pulling the entire map onto a trip mine stack, etc - but let's not dig up ancient history.

Anyway, ChampO open beta date confirmed as August 17. Two weeks before launch. And we will finally be free of our NDA.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: July 27, 2009, 09:51:28 PM

Anyway, ChampO open beta date confirmed as August 17.
So this not sucking would be like an awesome birthday present to me.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: July 27, 2009, 10:10:55 PM

Your optimism is so endearing.

I don't see any sign of the the NDA drop in the article. I would not be surprised if they attempt to keep it active through open beta.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: July 28, 2009, 10:21:04 AM

No, that would be the nerfs that hit the fire/device blasters with smoke grenade (with 10x intended to-hit debuff) and caltrops (which could root people and be thrown around corners). (nerf: smoke grenade back to original levels, slow effects like caltrops have a -90% cap)

And the seven level ones cooling their heels back in a safe zone who leveled off what the 40 was doing anyway. (nerf: people too far below the team average don't get XP)

And the invuln tankers with smash/lethal immunity rounding up a bunch of prisoners. (nerf: tanker resistance capped at 90%, prisoner rewards dropped severely)

A bunch of people killing purples exposed themselves to rather higher risk than a bunch of people killing reds but didn't actually get any more reward out of the deal - individual XP/mob was capped at the level of a red mob. People just hunted down purples because, like massing to kill big groups of Hydra in Perez Park, it was just what you did, never mind whether it worked or not. Purples and Hydra both became unreasonably dangerous because they led to people going too slow, not too fast.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: July 28, 2009, 10:21:17 AM

Them trying to keep the NDA up during open beta would be a big, giant DO NOT BUY flag.

Over and out.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #908 on: July 28, 2009, 10:55:57 AM

I always thought Beast was pretty cool.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: July 29, 2009, 09:44:43 AM

I could get into the stupidity of some early CoH tactics - dumpster diving, pulling the entire map onto a trip mine stack, etc - but let's not dig up ancient history.

Anyway, ChampO open beta date confirmed as August 17. Two weeks before launch. And we will finally be free of our NDA.

They're calling it an "open beta", but this is not the description of an open beta.

If they're limiting it to 50,000 keys, that reads to me more like a public stress test.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: