Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 11:56:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822627 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #700 on: May 04, 2009, 01:43:27 PM

So if it's all flowers and chocolates, you're not breaking the NDA.
If it's THISGAMESUCKSDON'TBUYFUCKERFUCKINGFUCKITYFUCK, you ARE breaking the NDA?

Nice.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #701 on: May 04, 2009, 03:45:28 PM

NDA was dropped.

Have at it.

awesome, for real

I think it's the press NDA/embargo only.

Edit:  I'm sure of it, actually...  NDA
Man, I've screwed this up for like every game ever.

I always forget that I "count as press." undecided

I'll let Trippy handle this one then, he's "press" too.
There's of course no official word on the Web site or forums but I think this only applies to the "press" people that got invited to a preview event recently.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #702 on: May 04, 2009, 03:50:11 PM

What if we only use emoticons to describe our feelings about the game? Would that still break the NDA?

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #703 on: May 04, 2009, 03:57:43 PM

I know I have a blog (somewhere).   I ARE PRESS!
Gimme beta key!

p.s.
for those not in the press... just give your feelings to said press (ala Schild, Trippy, etc.), let em edit it for personal flavor, and voila, no NDA breakage.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #704 on: May 04, 2009, 03:59:17 PM

What if we only use emoticons to describe our feelings about the game? Would that still break the NDA?
Don't.

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #705 on: May 04, 2009, 04:17:09 PM

If they're this finicky about the NDA, then that can't be a good sign.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #706 on: May 04, 2009, 04:47:11 PM

« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:50:14 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #707 on: May 04, 2009, 05:15:39 PM

I really would liked to have tried it as I’ve never played a MMO where I could fly around, so I’m not sure how that would translate in PvP.

Apparently the mmocrunch guy never played CoH either.  I think that will make a difference.

I want to hear from CoH/CoV vets to hear how the game is different/better.  It would suck to buy this to find that it's little more than CoH v2.0 with few changes beyond graphic glitz.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #708 on: May 04, 2009, 05:24:36 PM

I'm really surprised they dropped the press NDA this early, unless there are significant conditions and vetting rights on what they produce. It pretty much does confirm they're in the last stages of their release process though.

very much looking forward to the general NDA dropping.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #709 on: May 04, 2009, 05:37:48 PM

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #710 on: May 04, 2009, 05:55:27 PM

Is there any talk with this title eventually offering player made "Secret Lairs?"  Or at the very least guild housing?
One thing I hated with CoH was that cramped feeling of nowhere to go.  The world wasnt very big, so at least a personalized place to go would make things a bit more homey-feeling.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #711 on: May 04, 2009, 06:37:47 PM

No guild housing on launch, I believe.

I'm amazed they let the press in at this stage, even for lvl 1 - 5. Amazed.

I've got a write-up half done for when the actual NDA drops.

Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #712 on: May 04, 2009, 06:44:57 PM

I'm really surprised they dropped the press NDA this early, unless there are significant conditions and vetting rights on what they produce. It pretty much does confirm they're in the last stages of their release process though.

They didn't drop the press NDA. They dropped what they felt comfortable with.

Tortage here we come!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #713 on: May 04, 2009, 07:13:17 PM

They didn't drop the press NDA. They dropped what they felt comfortable with.

Tortage here we come!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Eh, not with this game methinks.  It's not like the thing is truly written from scratch.  They're using a lot of proprietary tech. (and lore) from earlier titles and the game has been in the works for quite a while.  My cynical side agrees with you, but the logical side says the probability of another Tortage is not high.

Regardless, 95% of this thing is gonna be the chargen aspect; and judging from the reviews so far it looks to be ridiculously robust and equally entertaining.  The "custom framework" aspect is a big plus (my fears have been laid aside with that one).  My last fear is whether or not you can lock in a character name if your char. isnt completely built.   swamp poop
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 07:16:12 PM by Ghambit »

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #714 on: May 04, 2009, 07:36:35 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #715 on: May 05, 2009, 02:04:22 PM

I've got a write-up half done for when the actual NDA drops.

Mine is done. It doesn't take long to write one sentence.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #716 on: May 05, 2009, 03:49:46 PM

No more foreshadowing please.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #717 on: May 05, 2009, 08:48:00 PM

CoX only _____.

When the NDA drops you can fill in the missing word.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #718 on: May 05, 2009, 10:52:06 PM

First impressions from escapistmagazine.  Kind of a bland review, you can tell the press is a bit restrained in these mundane writeups.  I'm not even gonna waste my time lookin for this crap anymore.  Wake me up when there's some real press... or I get a damned beta key 

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #719 on: May 06, 2009, 06:23:32 AM

If they can fix the grind problem (more interesting content), then it's win.

If not, it's CoX2.

Pretty easy call imo.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #720 on: May 06, 2009, 11:18:04 AM

Restraining the press to just the tutorial area is both genius and high cocksuckery.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #721 on: May 06, 2009, 05:44:38 PM

ChampO to have no server shards, just multiple instances of the same zone.

Theoretically it will be easy to flip between them so you can play with friends and guilds.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #722 on: May 06, 2009, 05:48:38 PM

The Guild Wars model then. That should work decently well. It also avoids sever merge/close doom drama in forums.  wink

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #723 on: May 06, 2009, 08:59:16 PM

Once upon a time I might have argued "server communities" but that seems like such a quaint relic from a bygone age. Now this sort of scheme makes good sense, scales better and avoids the problem of levelling your characters on a sickly / poor server.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #724 on: May 07, 2009, 04:04:56 AM

I think "server communities" depend on the type of game. In WoW and EQ2, I have been on servers with a solid community and with raiding, having a reputation still helps. In COX? It's 100% instanced anyway, so who really cares much?

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #725 on: May 07, 2009, 04:18:39 AM

Communities will form one way or another, whether by server or some other division.  I'd disagree that CoX communities are irrelevant, especially since my experiences in that game have been heavily social, with a lot of people who play primarily to hang out in the D and/or their guild/allied bases.  Since they're not planning on having names be unique, that's fine by me, since the main reason I'd want different servers is so I can get whatever name I want even if someone else has taken it already.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #726 on: May 08, 2009, 06:30:20 AM

Once upon a time I might have argued "server communities" but that seems like such a quaint relic from a bygone age. Now this sort of scheme makes good sense, scales better and avoids the problem of levelling your characters on a sickly / poor server.

Also you don't have to announce that you are shutting down ten servers at some point after release.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #727 on: May 08, 2009, 06:32:35 AM

Also you don't have to announce that you are shutting down ten servers at some point after release.

I still don't understand why AOC didn't go for something like this. They already had the instancing thing built in, and it would have saved them a lot of drama.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #728 on: May 08, 2009, 07:23:03 AM

I still don't understand why AOC didn't go for something like this. They already had the instancing thing built in, and it would have saved them a lot of drama.

pvp issues

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #729 on: May 08, 2009, 09:49:23 AM

Speaking of pvp, is there any in this game? cause that char creation review almost has me hooked.

I am the .00000001428%
Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #730 on: May 08, 2009, 10:45:49 AM

Yes*

*In CoX the pvp experience ranged from passably fun to horribly broken. Also there were never any rewards associated with it besides some temp powers (read:consumables).

So as usual it will come down to execution.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #731 on: May 08, 2009, 08:27:31 PM

PvP will be arena / scenario-based. No open world PvP given that all characters are meant to be heroes (at this time, anyway).

jayfyve
Terracotta Army

Reply #732 on: May 16, 2009, 03:48:11 PM

Champions Online - Due out Fall 2009

“It is critically important for an MMO to be as good as it possibly can be at launch. Through our constant dialogue with our vocal and supportive community of beta testers, we quickly realized that in order to implement certain features that we all considered important the development of Champions Online would require more time. So that's what we're going to give it. Cryptic has a proven track record of releasing solid games and we want to maintain that with Champions Online.”
-Bill Roper, Design Director and Executive Producer

I was looking forward to trying a new MMO out sooner than that. It seems like any MMO that announces a release date changes it at least once. Oh wells, better later than never and better finished than failed.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #733 on: May 16, 2009, 06:11:36 PM

I'm willing to bet that more time isn't going to help with the success of this game.  Any takers?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #734 on: May 16, 2009, 08:21:56 PM

Fall means more competition with other upcoming MMO's (Aion comes to mind, for me at least), and it'll probably coincide or be not-long-after WoW's next big patch.  Summer would be better in my opinion, but it really depends on what these important features they're working on are, and what their actual state of readiness is.

Also, the fact that all characters are meant to be heroes at this point drops my interest dramatically.  Not that I had that much interest in Champions Online to begin with, but if all characters have to be heroes, unless I'm particularly bored when it comes out I may not muster enough interest to try it.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: