Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 12:10:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 822637 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #315 on: February 28, 2008, 06:42:05 PM

Most ridiculous rumour currently on the ChampO forums: that Marvel is speaking / has spoken to SOE about doing a joint Marvel / DC MMO. I can see Microsoft / Marvel getting together with SOE / DC to happily create one game together, can't you? Even is MS was cut out of the picture, I doubt DC and Marvel would get into bed together on this.

Slightly more believable rumour from the same poster: DCO will have a major announcement in April. It'll probably be "we're not dead, really".

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #316 on: February 28, 2008, 09:24:01 PM

I can see Microsoft / Marvel getting together with SOE / DC to happily create one game together, can't you?

Yeah, that would be pretty rediculous.  Right now I think they still aren't even doing comic book crossovers with each other since Didio apparently can't stand Quesada.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #317 on: February 29, 2008, 05:58:33 AM

Apparently after CoV didn't set the world on fire and NCsoft helped to cut the CoH/V dev team by 75%,

Auto Assault and Tabula Rasa didn't exactly pan out either.  Is it me, or is NC basically just using Lineage profits to fund failure after failure?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: February 29, 2008, 06:01:22 AM

Why don't they stay true to comic books, and drop all this levels / classes / picking skills stuff?

You log on and are given a normal human character.  As you wander the game world, you get:

zapped by radiation, bit by a spider, find / are given alien tech, research and produce super tech, etc, and pick up a random super-power.

You have to figure out by trial and error what that power is, and you have to decide what to do with that power.

Isn't that how super hero comics are for the most part?

Wouldn't it be fun to join a world and start playing without pre-planning all kinds of 'progression paths' and 'optimal skill sets' and correct stats?
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #319 on: February 29, 2008, 06:04:34 AM

You have to figure out by trial and error what that power is, and you have to decide what to do with that power.

And, and, you have to make yourself a costume!
Sunbury
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: February 29, 2008, 06:19:58 AM

That goes without saying.  awesome, for real
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: February 29, 2008, 06:54:37 AM

Obvious MMOG design is obvious.

There must be a book of MMOG blueprints that are floating around among MMOG developers that reads like a checklist for boring, unoriginal gameplay.

I'm pretty sure you've argued this before so I won't ask you to write it up again, but do you have a link where you argued for and explained a better system for an MMOG?  I'd like to read it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #322 on: February 29, 2008, 07:09:44 AM

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: February 29, 2008, 07:59:21 AM

Jesus christ. That dude's camel toe haunts my nightmares.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #324 on: February 29, 2008, 08:01:36 AM

Classic.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #325 on: February 29, 2008, 09:11:40 AM

Jesus christ. That dude's camel toe haunts my nightmares.

That's moose knuckle.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: February 29, 2008, 10:07:32 AM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: February 29, 2008, 10:44:08 AM

I guess we shouldn't ask how you know those exist?
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: February 29, 2008, 11:02:59 AM

I guess we shouldn't ask how you know those exist?

An internet thread where someone posted Tronman, and another guy mentioned the dance belts, which were a part of the original Tron costumes.

What did you expect?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: March 02, 2008, 03:00:48 PM

What did you expect?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm not sure, and I'd rather not contemplate it.  swamp poop
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: March 14, 2008, 01:02:02 PM

New Q&A

Some highlights:
  • The power creation system might actually resemble the Hero System somewhat, but it won't be identical.
  • There will be a skill system.
  • The 'death penalty' was stolen straight from WoW.  In other news, having superheroes that dependent on 'gear' sounds like ass.
  • The game will have standard MMO auto-targeting, so no dodging fireballs by strafing to the side.  Apparently there are 'charged' and 'maintained' attacks that a character can block or break line of sight with, though.
There's some other stuff in the article as well.

Over and out.
Chenghiz
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: March 16, 2008, 11:25:10 AM

Gear? Hero doesn't have gear. D:
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: March 16, 2008, 03:34:49 PM

Prediction: they license CoX back from NC to create an Xbox 360 comic-based MMO.

You heard it hear first!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #333 on: March 16, 2008, 11:07:54 PM

Gear? Hero doesn't have gear. D:

I like the idea of having separate gear to pontentially make up for gaps in your powers. Gear should never be as good as having actual powers, but there's no reason a melee based character can't carry an M60 in battle when the need arises.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #334 on: March 24, 2008, 06:27:00 PM

Jack Emmert wrote up a day in the life at Cryptic.

Of note:

- ChampO seems to be in playable alpha

- Cryptic has two other MMO projects on the boil, both in pre-production but no real further details exist

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: March 24, 2008, 10:08:00 PM

Begin obligatory ED rant.
Quote from: Jack Emmert
And I want to make sure it's fun enough. I can't spill the beans too much, but I was running around Slither Beach battling the hordes of VIPER.
(random font size changes mine)

Dunno Jack, not sure if fighting more then 2 mobs at once is balanced.
/EDrantoff

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: March 26, 2008, 10:15:08 AM

I was a long-time watcher and player of CoH, but havent until recently looked at Champions Online because I  didnt want to be disappointed from my tabletop days.

I havent read a stitch about this, but the pics look a lot like CoH to me. Perhaps thats just the intern-made coffee talking.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: March 26, 2008, 10:24:28 AM

It's CoH meets The Incredibles.

Over and out.
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: March 26, 2008, 10:35:57 AM

You know, that's an even better description. Someone found the code (they've got it for Torque too) that surrounds a 3d character with a cartoony, black line to make it look like line art...and went nuts with it.

Grrrrr.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #339 on: March 27, 2008, 04:40:25 AM

Begin obligatory ED rant.
Quote from: Jack Emmert
And I want to make sure it's fun enough. I can't spill the beans too much, but I was running around Slither Beach battling the hordes of VIPER.
(random font size changes mine)
Dunno Jack, not sure if fighting more then 2 mobs at once is balanced.
/EDrantoff
He never said he was awesome, for real
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: March 29, 2008, 07:34:20 PM

I never played Champions, I was more of a V&V guy back then.

I like Villains and Vigilantes, but Champions was simply the best superhero system there was.  Hell, I still think the Hero System was better than GURPS when it came to baseline RPG rules.

There was one caveat, though, and that was that you had to lay down the "No!  Redo it!" stick whenever someone wanted to min-max the system.  If you were creative with disadvantages you could really make those character points go a long damn way and come up with a Galactus killer.  Without a fairly stern GM willing to call players on their bullshit during character creation that game system was way abusable.
WayAbvPar

Reply #341 on: March 31, 2008, 08:54:12 AM

As long as the GM made the player justify his min-maxing with a plausible backstory, you were usually safe. Not being laughed out of the room is important even to munchkins.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #342 on: March 31, 2008, 03:09:31 PM

The problem with that, though, is that with so many disadvantages piled on, all the adventures become about that player. In a group setting that's a problem.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: March 31, 2008, 04:49:32 PM

Well, in an online setting a few things can happen.  One, limit the number of disadvantages allowed to take.  Two, randomize the enemies for those disadvantages.  The baddies on the map happen to target six of your two dozen weaknesses?  Sucks to be you, but at least you're on a first name basis with that cute nurse at City General.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #344 on: March 31, 2008, 07:55:23 PM

Well, in an online setting a few things can happen.  One, limit the number of disadvantages allowed to take.  Two, randomize the enemies for those disadvantages.  The baddies on the map happen to target six of your two dozen weaknesses?  Sucks to be you, but at least you're on a first name basis with that cute nurse at City General.

I think this is one of the reasons that customisation is being built on several different versions of a similar power (e.g. ice blast, dark blast, fire blast, etc) rather than the Champion default 'energy blast'. That way the devs can tweak which blasts get access to which tweaks and how much they effect the power rather than having a much more abuseable open door policy.

I find it interesting that one stated tweak will be related to the time of day (e.g. night or day) that you use the power.

DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: April 17, 2008, 06:23:01 PM

Morbius, anyone?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #346 on: April 17, 2008, 06:24:40 PM

In general news, ChampO's new community relations manager is Razor, best known from Razorwire on Warcry.

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #347 on: April 17, 2008, 10:54:31 PM

In general news, ChampO's new community relations manager is Razor, best known from Razorwire on Warcry.

Good? Bad? Should I care?

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
DarkSign
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: April 18, 2008, 04:34:48 AM

Hey...

leave Ashen Temper out of this.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #349 on: April 18, 2008, 06:43:13 AM

Good? Bad? Should I care?

You can see his work on http://razorwire.warcry.com.

At the very least, you can chart the progress of someone who goes from fansite to official community guy.

(Full disclosure - I've written some things for Warcry in the past, but appear to have lost article privileges)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: