Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2024, 06:14:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition 0 Members and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  (Read 823287 times)
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #455 on: January 18, 2009, 09:29:22 AM

Applied, but no answer as of yet.

Maybe some day.  Heartbreak
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #456 on: January 18, 2009, 09:59:50 PM

I keep getting these messages telling me that I'm invited to do some preview days, but I'm not in beta or have a key.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: January 18, 2009, 10:11:12 PM

For a game supposedly so close to release, there is very little info out about this.  Is it not possible to play a villain?  That gives DCUO a huge advantage right from the get-go. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #458 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:37 AM

I think he actually means you can move during cast time, not cast time = 0.

Yea, I was just being snarky ;-) Honestly, it's something I've wanted more of in these games. To date though we mostly only get run and gun when it involves an actual gun in that type of setting. More spells-while-moving please.

You know... you could cast spells while moving in Vanguard.  awesome, for real

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #459 on: January 19, 2009, 03:02:13 PM

I keep getting these messages telling me that I'm invited to do some preview days, but I'm not in beta or have a key.

Email them, and they'll get you a key.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #460 on: January 19, 2009, 04:16:57 PM

For a game supposedly so close to release, there is very little info out about this.  Is it not possible to play a villain?  That gives DCUO a huge advantage right from the get-go. 

No villains at launch for ChampO afaik.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #461 on: January 19, 2009, 05:44:29 PM

Microsoft can neither make nor distribute an MMO, and it'll all turn out to be complete and utter horseshit. DC will release, however, no matter tight lipped they are about it.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: January 19, 2009, 05:57:56 PM

You know... you could cast spells while moving in Vanguard.
I was never able to move without crashing.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #463 on: January 19, 2009, 06:04:25 PM

Microsoft can neither make nor distribute an MMO, and it'll all turn out to be complete and utter horseshit. DC will release, however, no matter tight lipped they are about it.
Take-Two is publishing Champions Online. Microsoft dropped out a long time ago (back when it was still Marvel Online).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #464 on: January 19, 2009, 06:07:30 PM

Doh. Well, good thing then.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #465 on: January 19, 2009, 06:18:45 PM

Take-Two is publishing Champions Online. Microsoft dropped out a long time ago (back when it was still Marvel Online).

Atari is publishing ChampO, since Infogrammes bought Cryptic. Take-Two was dropped. Keep up!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #466 on: January 19, 2009, 06:19:34 PM

Atari is publishing ChampO, since Infogrammes bought Cryptic. Take-Two was dropped. Keep up!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Oh yeah, heh.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: January 20, 2009, 08:52:54 AM

Any other F13ers in yet? If enough have, it might be worth having a separate sekret beta board. We can make a request for one, apparently.

I applied on the first day of beta signups, but I have yet to be invited.  Sad Panda

There must be someone from Cryptic lurking here and they're sick of me bitching about how awful the cell shading looks.

Over and out.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #468 on: January 20, 2009, 04:05:59 PM

Especially when they can read that kind of message continually on their own official boards.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I can point to this pic that appears to lack the comic shading effects of some of the other shots:

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #469 on: January 21, 2009, 05:25:50 PM

If you are interested in seeing how much costume customisation is in ChampO, check out Rate My Champion which is made up of existing beta characters.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #470 on: January 21, 2009, 05:36:34 PM

If someone had told me that was rate my (city of) Hero, I wouldn't have blinked.

Not that this is a problem.

As for the cel shading, till I see it animated and full resolution, I can't judge.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: January 21, 2009, 07:31:38 PM

If you are interested in seeing how much costume customisation is in ChampO, check out Rate My Champion which is made up of existing beta characters.
I went through twenty.  The highest any of those outfits deserved was a 2, and that is being very, very generous.  That's only because a few were better than most, which deserved a 1.  All of them should be normalized to lose a star because most weren't even worth 1.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #472 on: January 21, 2009, 08:57:37 PM

I was underwhelmed.

Of course, I can't be sure that the system is to blame. Maybe they just don't have any testers with creativity.

Some of those either deserved negative stars, or should have the age or IQ of the tester as explanation for why they deserved even one star.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: January 21, 2009, 10:14:25 PM

Wow, those are the kind of heroes you see in crowd hero shots in poorly drawn 1960s-era comics. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: January 22, 2009, 01:08:59 AM

They look like the same Heroes that populate 95% of CoH currently.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: January 22, 2009, 07:45:34 AM

Wow, those are the kind of heroes you see in crowd hero shots in poorly drawn 1960s-era comics. 

Apparently this is the effect the designers have been trying to achieve.

As for the cel shading, till I see it animated and full resolution, I can't judge.

The only reason this game is even on my radar at all is because I know cel shading usually looks much better in motion.  On the other hand, I've been underwhelmed by the videos released so far.

Over and out.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: January 29, 2009, 12:19:59 AM

ChampO given just enough Rope(r) to hang itself

http://www.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=16753

ACK!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #477 on: January 29, 2009, 12:25:13 AM

He's not the problem.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #478 on: January 29, 2009, 05:43:24 AM

In the immortal words of George Costanza, it doesn't help.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #479 on: January 29, 2009, 05:51:35 AM

That's true.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #480 on: January 29, 2009, 05:59:37 AM

He's not the problem.

Who would you say is? No points for originality if you say "Jack Emmert" or mention "because I didn't like some of the changes to CoH/V".

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #481 on: January 29, 2009, 07:46:05 AM

Did Bill Roper just became a disgrace to the videogame world in your books thanks to the failure of HG:L, or do you hold personal previous grudges?

That said, from the interview:

Tamat : Creating your own Nemesis sounds like a great idea. Can you give us any more details on this aspect of the game? Will this enemy be with you for the long haul, such as through future expansions?

Bill Roper : The Nemesis system allows players to create a series of villains that become a part of their personal storyline and challenge them unlike any other enemies in the game. Players create a customized Nemesis, including their costume, power set, minions and THEIR power sets, and their motivation. We'll have reasons for you not only to defeat your Nemesis, but to create others once you lock your first away in Stronghold. Best of all, this is just the foundation of the future for the Nemesis system. It’s a big part of our current and future plans for the game, so expect to see them with you for a long time.

In this sentence, what I hate about recent MMOs. This is exactly the kind of cool innovative feature (on paper) that won't make it in at launch, will be delayed indefinitely, and ultimately dumbed down and slapped in with the evacuation patch that comes with the server merger, right before terminal shutdown. Bets?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:27:00 PM by Falconeer »

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: January 29, 2009, 05:04:57 PM

ChampO given just enough Rope(r) to hang itself

http://www.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=16753

ACK!

Did you just want to use a funny analogy or was there something Roper said that I missed where he threw Cyrptic under the bus? Seemed like the usual tame interview stuff to me. Even the statement that "it would be almost impossible for any MMO to compete with WoW" is basically conventional wisdom for anyone whose got a business interest in this specific segment of the genre.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: January 29, 2009, 05:17:02 PM

The sentence I was referring to in the interview as terrible was the sentence where it said Bill Roper works on Champions Online.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: January 29, 2009, 05:32:51 PM

I mean sure, Hellgate: London flubbed it up big time, but I don't actually think the game was THAT bad. The game in its final version before it died was actually fairly entertaining to play (at least mechanics wise, the levels were repetitive and there wasn't enough to do, but I though the mechanics were quite solid myself).

Anyway, whether Roper is involved in this project or not, I'm not sure if I'll be interested.  Super hero MMOs are interesting because in my opinion they are one of the few MMO settings where its actually appropriate for everyone to be silly powerful and well, heroic.  In fantasy and sci fi settings, i like to be able to play an "average" person, but in a super hero MMO, i don't feel that pulling at me.

If it is fun, I will play it.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #485 on: January 29, 2009, 05:38:31 PM

The sentence I was referring to in the interview as terrible was the sentence where it said Bill Roper works on Champions Online.

They aren't using him as a business manager. As a developer, he could be exactly what ChampO needs given his action RPG background.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #486 on: January 29, 2009, 06:37:26 PM

They aren't using him as a business manager. As a developer, he could be exactly what ChampO needs given his action RPG background.

Not if he has a gypsy curse on him when it comes to online games.  Which I think is very likely.

Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #487 on: January 31, 2009, 12:49:10 AM

I still give Roper a helluvah lot of credit for knowing how the minds of action gamers work. As a business manager of any kind, not so much.

Short opinion, good pickup for Cryptic and a chance at redemption for a guy who's done quite a bit for (and in) this industry.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: January 31, 2009, 12:59:23 AM

His total failure with Hellgate seems like a square peg / round hole problem. He's probably one of those guys who needs a couple of more pessimistic, grounded in reality types who can slap him around when he proposes making a game with no revenue model and then creating an entirely separate game just to test the networking layer.

Something you see a lot is that one member of a collaboration spins off on their own and without boundaries strays off into crazy land. As long as they keep him doing what he's good at it's probably a good pickup. Then again, who the hell really knows how integral he was to the success of Blizzard products? Perhaps he's a guy that was a good public face and talked a good game.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #489 on: February 08, 2009, 06:08:30 AM

In the same vein as the DCUO stuff coming out of NYCC, ChampO has a new if brief video showing some in-city fighting. Also, some new demo footage from NYCC

Also, a few new images of Millennium City at the top of the screenshot page. If you look, it appears that they've toned down the comic shading / black outlines in these pictures to make them a little less cartoony.

Gamestop has ChampO pre-orders for a launch on June 2. It hasn't been confirmed, so I'm guessing someone just wants some pre-order money.

Overall, it looks like DCUO is certainly more the fan favourite title thus far, but that might be because 1) the IP and 2) they've got longer until launch so can promise more.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Champions Online: The No-NDA Merged Edition  
Jump to: