Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Items (Good and Bad) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Items (Good and Bad)  (Read 42660 times)
Dren
Terracotta Army

on: November 13, 2007, 06:21:52 AM

I've seen some people listing some good and bad items and thought I'd start a thread on just that.

What items have you gotten that had some great or really bad mixture of abilities, powers, stats, herpes, etc.

To start off:

I got a really nice legendary sword for my guardian but it has mind control on it.  Sounded good at first and I was really mowing through huge numbers with it because I'd mind control everything on the 2nd hit with it.

The trouble is I would mind control everything on the 2nd hit!  In huge groups this was great!  In smaller groups or single combat it royally sucked.  I kept mind controlling bosses every other hit so I had to just stand there waiting for the effect to wear off for 5 seconds.  While this made most fights easy and safe, it was really annoying and slow.

Anyone else run across a mind control item?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 06:39:15 AM

I just had a buddy give me my first mind control gun for my Evoker last night. It's a unique with 125 mind control. Its kind of fun to stand at the top platform and lock on to Shugoloth while all his imp buddies stand there and shoot at him.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 06:43:22 AM

I just had a buddy give me my first mind control gun for my Evoker last night. It's a unique with 125 mind control. Its kind of fun to stand at the top platform and lock on to Shugoloth while all his imp buddies stand there and shoot at him.

In a gun I can see this as a good thing.  As a swordsman?  Not so much.

This definetely got me to start using a second set of sword and shield for the smaller fights.

Oh, that's one pet peeve I've found.  I can't use the same shield from my first set of weapons in my second.  I have to have a whole other shield to use.  I've found finding really good shields is tough.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 06:50:13 AM

Are you sure about the shield thing? I used the same shield in all three sets with my Guardian.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 06:56:39 AM

My character is fucking mind control City.

My 2nd and 3rd Weapon slot are both mind control. One is a rifle that lands a pool of damage around a bunch of enemies, so I can start a war. The other is two Puppet Masters. One on Each hand (yes, you can control two monsters), 140 mind control strength. Furiously and Falwell have seen how ridiculously overpowered this shit is.

I love it. It makes nightmare tolerable.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 07:12:07 AM

None of my items have herpes.  You can share shields with other weapons.  Remember to pick the shield up from the sets shown on the bottom when you're in inventory mode and move it to the space you want it in.  Sometimes it takes a couple of gos because the spaces are small.  Too many things in this game take a couple of gos!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 07:20:08 AM

Yeah I got a legendary sword with mind control in it for my guardian too. It royally sucks. Which pains me because it's a great sword overall. If only I could remove that mind control effect.

On the other hand I have a nice orange shield that rules at my sucky 18th level. Don't know if luck really matters, but I have ike 130 luck equipped on myself and I get tons of orange stuff and secret passages everywhere. Would love to have impressions about how luck works.

Seriously, too much orange stuff. It's spoiling the fun out of me (hence, the question about set items).

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 07:20:58 AM

Do you still get xp/items when mind controlled creatures die?
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 07:39:41 AM

Yes, you do. The disadvantage of Mind Control (and why the guys don't like it on swords) is that while a mob is controlled, it's on your team. In other words - it becomes immune to friendly fire while its controlled. You can't hurt it till the control drops.

Works great on the guns because you can sit there and control a boss while recharging, watinging on timers, backing up, etc.

Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:01:31 AM

None of my items have herpes.  You can share shields with other weapons.  Remember to pick the shield up from the sets shown on the bottom when you're in inventory mode and move it to the space you want it in.  Sometimes it takes a couple of gos because the spaces are small.  Too many things in this game take a couple of gos!

Ah, thanks for the tip!

Since venting my pet peeves is helping me today, here is another.  Can I augment or upgrade items that I have equipped without unequipping them?  Normally it isn't a huge pain, but lately I've noticed I have to play the puzzle game once I take something off.

What I mean is, I take off a chest piece that has a huge willpower boost.  Now all of a sudden I don't have enough willpower to put it back on!  WTF?  Now, I have to take everything off to get my willpower down to a level to put that piece back on and then figure out the order in which my other WP boosted pieces have to go on to get back to my original set. (Same thing goes for other attributes on different classes, etc.)

HUGE pain.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:09:47 AM

Dude, I have no idea how the feed system works.

I'm fairly sure it's borked somehow.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 08:24:39 AM

That happens to me, too, and I don't think there's a way around it yet.  I'm hoping it's not intended.  You never know.  It's also a pain to have to get naked when you upgrade, too.  So much for modesty... and I'm wearing Grandma knickers!!!!  Lately I've not bothered with any of that stuff and just throw everything in my locker or break it down.  Locker fills up too quick though so I break down stuff maybe I should save.   

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:14:29 AM

Feed absolutely sucks, and items that increase your stats don't actually effect feed until you equip them, so basically you'll need to unequip things to get a stat boost.. example: a legendary chest piece on my Summoner has +9 to all attributes, and my feed had 7 pts of Stamina left, but because the feed doesn't take into account the pluses I needed to take 3 pieces of equipment off, so the shirt would equip, but then all the other items went on without issue. Honestly Feed is a huge pain in the ass, and Legendary equipment often takes so much stat feed, that it isn't always worth equipping them.

Mind Control is sort of fun, and my Summoner has a Puppet Master that is 145 mind control Strength, I'd say that the part of it that's overpowered is balanced by it's wearing off relatively fast and it's recharge time. It is fun though.

Since venting my pet peeves is helping me today, here is another.  Can I augment or upgrade items that I have equipped without unequipping them?  Normally it isn't a huge pain, but lately I've noticed I have to play the puzzle game once I take something off.

You need to place the items into the machines, to upgrade/augment so you do need to unequip them.. You can add Mods directly to weapons you have equipped though by examining them from the inventory (right click on the item from where they show in your hands) or by dragging mods onto equipped items (just not in where your weapons sets show, meaning only where they show on your hands). Using any machine and selecting cancel will usually equip weapons automatically, so if you've taken something off, this is an easy way to re-equip them.

Some items I found that were totally awesome, were this uber sniper rifle my marksman is using (started with 1 stat, and using the Augmentrex I got lucky with 3 really nice added ones):

Then of course I found this here uber battery:

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 09:18:36 AM

They really need to make it calculate what stats are on an item before it tells you you can't equip it.  In other words if I need 2 willpower to equip something, and the item has 9 willpower on it, I should just be able to put it on.  That would alleviate a lot of confusion.

AKA Gyoza
schild
Administrator

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 09:19:59 AM

I got a master cell from a quest.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 09:37:00 AM

On the other hand I have a nice orange shield that rules at my sucky 18th level. Don't know if luck really matters, but I have ike 130 luck equipped on myself and I get tons of orange stuff and secret passages everywhere. Would love to have impressions about how luck works.

There was a multi-multi page thread on Luck in the beta when I was dicking around with HG.  If they didn't do a wipe of the forums, you might want to do a search for it.  Basically what you've said you're experienceing was exactly what everyone else did.  More secret passages, higher quality on the drops (but not an increased % of drops) and more hellgates (which I guess means more drops due to more mobs..)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 09:40:16 AM

Hellgates have chests, and Ancient Blood passages that have chests.
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 10:46:09 AM

Ancient Bloods are where it's at.  Seriously, those things are a gold mine.  I've gotten more from those than any passage or typical hellgate.  Chests, blue mobs, orange mobs, etc.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 10:59:30 AM

Shield penetration is godly for guns. I found an automatic rifle with 45%, dropped 3 mods to raise the total shield penetration to 105%. It's just sick. Much assploding to be had.

Makes me want to go back to my nm blademaster, see how it works with swords. Splash + shield penetration should make for fun swarms.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 11:02:04 AM

I got a master cell from a quest.

I might've gotten that from a quest, although I don't actually remember. Still a totally uber Mod for any weapon to make the mini-game easier.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 11:17:00 AM

Then of course I found this here uber battery:

What's exactly is "attack strength"? Noob question, I know, but can't be helped.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 11:29:12 AM

Basically, if the weapon already does that damage type - either built in, or through a "adds x% x damage" mod - adding an attack strength to the weapon improves the chance of affecting a target with that damage type's special effect. Adding an Ignite attack Strength to a weapon that doesn't have fire damage does nothing.

Oh and Tao, the Master Cell won't affect minigame, because it improves Attack Strength, it doesn't add a damage type. It's what you want to drop in to a given weapon that already has multiple damage types added to it.

taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 11:42:39 AM

I was actually thinking it added those damage types, and AFAIK I don't have any weapons that do poison damage but the electric rifle I have that mod inserted in seems to clear every damage type comes up in the mini-game.

I was assuming that even when a weapon didn't do a type of damage and it was Adding # strength, that it added those damage types to it, but I totally don't know.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 03:58:38 PM

Look what I just got.

Oh wait, I am a guardian.. can't use. MEH!  Ohhhhh, I see.

schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 04:13:10 PM

Yea, I have a Grandmaster in the NON-WEIRDTALK language.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 04:30:13 PM

Yea, I have a Grandmaster in the NON-WEIRDTALK language.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

P.S: I hate localized games.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 04:32:34 PM by Falconeer »

lesion

Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 06:10:44 PM

awesome, for real

steam|a grue \[T]/
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 06:14:42 AM

Played with Grand Master and Cat's Paw as a pair last night. Yea, that's some funny stuff.

Oh noes! An Imp Diabolist, what shall I do? Oops, now all your imp buddies are shooting you! Bwahaha!
Also, very effective to get baddies to huddle in a group while I line up AoE attacks.

schild
Administrator

Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 06:57:27 AM

awesome, for real

Puppet Master is the exact same thing, except a white item, heh. Same item level too.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 07:02:05 AM

Yes, it's not suppose to be though lol.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 07:06:57 AM

Actually I was wondering the same thing. What's "unique" in the Grand Master and the Grabber beside the name?

Also, where the fuck is ice damage in this game?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 07:17:23 AM

Uniques are bugged, fix coming Soon(tm).

I guess they no longer like the idea of a blizzard in Hell.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 07:19:20 AM

What the hell is the bug?
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 07:42:55 AM

Reading the forums, it makes it sound like the bug is that the uniques that you pick up that don't require an ID ("?") aren't really unique, they're normal items that got a bugged name.

Basically giving the normal item the unique item qualities without the awesome stats.

This might also explain why there's so many being found.

Also, it might be complete bullshit.  But, one of the Ping0 guys said the fix probably won't fix current items.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2007, 07:45:51 AM by MrHat »
Ravandor
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 08:23:29 AM

Well, I haven't played a MM enough to get a feel for what kind of stats the sniper weapons typically have.  Maybe someone who has can tell me what exactly makes this rifle a unique.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Items (Good and Bad)  
Jump to: