Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:12:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: AGDC07: An Evening with Dave and Scott 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: AGDC07: An Evening with Dave and Scott  (Read 13146 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: November 12, 2007, 02:27:21 PM

AGDC07: An Evening with Dave and Scott

Towards the end of the last Austin conference, F13.net was lucky enough to snag a dinnertime interview slot with two of the more interesting figures in modern-day online game development: Scott Jennings, formerly Lum the Mad, and Dave Rickey, formerly of a lot of places. As neither Dave nor Scott were able to tell us about their upcoming titles, we instead did was we must, because we could: ask random questions and then try to keep out of the crossfire.

» Read More
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 02:48:52 PM

Scott: Well, I've always been an armchair designer from back before I worked at Mythic. I mean, my entire whiny blog was basically armchair design, so it just moved from armchair design to full-chair design, I guess.

Wasn't Lum complaining in another thread he had to build his own bookcase?

I finally know the secret to the MMO industry... FURNITURE!!

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 02:51:47 PM

Lum, I totally look forward to playing your Russian Civil War game. That is one of the most fascinating, crazy-ass periods in history ever and no one knows about it despite it being mentioned in every history class ever. If you haven't already, you need to watch the Russian Revolution in Color.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:20:33 PM

Lum, I totally look forward to playing your Russian Civil War game. That is one of the most fascinating, crazy-ass periods in history ever and no one knows about it despite it being mentioned in every history class ever. If you haven't already, you need to watch the Russian Revolution in Color.

Dude! Netflix'd. :D
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 03:52:12 PM

Have some respect, MMO's are IMPORTANT.  They are ART.   awesome, for real
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 04:01:15 PM

That was a fun interview and I had fun reading it.  Fun, fun, fun!  And now off to the funny picture thread!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
geldonyetich2
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 04:29:53 PM

Damn good interview.  I've more points to make than people here want to read, so I'll just leave it at that.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 10:34:25 PM

I can't wait to tear into Lum's designs once they go Beta. I am also very curious how bad its going to be, I'm guessing somewhere between AO release and SIMSOL.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 01:22:45 AM

Excellent interview with two people who come off better than they do on the forums.   awesome, for real

No, seriously, two comments I picked up on :

"Another one would be Raph Koster. I know everyone loves to bash on him, especially message boards and people who've played his games"

You have to Love Lum.  However, it's a good point.  As the audience and the games mature, I suspect these 'thinking people' are going to get massive Kudos for being 'first'.

"The point is, why can't a competent game designer take a laughable or even stupid game idea, and make something at least playable out of it? The fact that we can't do that is an indication of just how primitive our craft is."

No sure I totally agree with this.  If someone had told me that a game where a wee bloke runs around balling up rubbish would hit big, I'd have told him he's on crack.  But apparently that Katamari thing was all right.  Further, if we put our minds to it there are TONS of laughable or stupid ideas out there that are good games...  Hmmm, it's a thinker.

"Women are... At the head of most powerful in-game organizations, you'll find, generally, a man-woman team. Not necessarily in a relationship, but it'll be the man that leads and the woman that is the glue that holds everything together. Almost without exception."

Just from my Monkey-Circle, this is so true it physically hurts.

Great interview.

I look forward to seeing info on what's coming out of Lums chair.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 02:07:40 AM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:57:37 AM

Great interview and nice read.  Go Go MMO.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 10:52:44 AM

Excellent interview. More like that, please. Thanks yoru, Dave, and Scott.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
WayAbvPar

Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 02:33:28 PM

Nice work Y, and thanks to Dave and Scott for a good interview. And thanks to Ironwood for mentioning that he heard about this interview on brokentoys, which led me there and then here. I really should check the news section every now and then.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 06:17:14 PM

You can thank Yegolev too. He took the photo and pitched in with question or two here and there. We just don't really differentiate between which F13.Vox you're hearing from. :)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 06:22:31 PM

Worth the wait.   smiley

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Falwell
Terracotta Army

Ghetto Gear Solid: Raiden

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 11:28:55 PM

Nice, nice work Yeg. Make Dave wear the boonie hat next time though if you would.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 11:48:33 PM

I actually have the one he gave me last year, it's one of my desktop souveneirs (on top of the foam skull I liberated from a booth my first E3).

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 11:05:02 AM

Nice read, one of the most entertaining interviews I've read.

(I also found this via Scott's blog - I'm acronym challenged, I guess - too many letters and numbers in combination make me ignore things maybe.)
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 15, 2007, 11:12:25 AM

Great interview. This is one of those pieces that makes f13 the special flower that it is.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: AGDC07: An Evening with Dave and Scott  
Jump to: