Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:07:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Someone explain the story - spoilers so gtfo pussies 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Someone explain the story - spoilers so gtfo pussies  (Read 13972 times)
Trouble
Terracotta Army

on: November 06, 2007, 10:56:44 AM

SO, as with most people, I barely read a goddamn thing the entire game. I was just killing nonstop and looking for lewt. Can someone explain wtf happened? I'm very curious because I don't understand what the fuck all of act 5 was about and what the ending cinematic was about.

Here's my best attempt at summing the story:
- This dude named Murmur is like "hey let's go this way ---->"
- You're like "ok"
- A bunch of crazy shit happens and you keep getting directed to new people that might have the solution but usually don't
- You meet The Oracle, The Father, The Sister, The Brothers, and The Child along the way...for some reason
- All that shit you did before didn't actually help because The Oracle and co aren't going to do shit for you
- You go to hell
- Murmur turns out to be the devil or something

I couldn't tell all of what fucking Murmur was saying in the end cinematic so I'm a bit lost on that one. He says someone "isn't going to be happy about this", I presumed whoever his boss is.

Someone fill this in with real info.
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 04:22:21 PM

I never really understood myself what purpose Murmur actually served.  Hell, after leading him out of the first zone you never really deal with him again until the very end.  Then he rambles some in the last mission and shows up again in hell.  When the cinematic started at the end it took me a few seconds to even realize that I should recognize the dead guy that was talking.  It felt almost like the end of KotOR 2 where you get to the end and all of the story up to that point gets thrown out the window and replaced with some cobbled together crap.  Hell being a gray place with about 20 feet of visibility didn't help much.

I'm kind of hoping that nightmare or elite mode has a different cinematic at least, once that kind of explains things better and doesn't mumble as much.

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 04:27:39 PM

I never really understood myself what purpose Murmur actually served.  Hell, after leading him out of the first zone you never really deal with him again until the very end.  Then he rambles some in the last mission and shows up again in hell.

He also provides commentary in your issue log as you go along, and translates some of what the insane quest givers say.

You wouldn't know that unless you had randomly clicked on unintelligible symbols in the quest log, but I guess that's what teh intarweb is for.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Chorulle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 04:34:58 PM

I never really understood myself what purpose Murmur actually served.  Hell, after leading him out of the first zone you never really deal with him again until the very end.  Then he rambles some in the last mission and shows up again in hell.

He also provides commentary in your issue log as you go along, and translates some of what the insane quest givers say.

You wouldn't know that unless you had randomly clicked on unintelligible symbols in the quest log, but I guess that's what teh intarweb is for.

I had noticed that you could get his feedback on quests.  I guess I just never felt the need to since pretty much every quest was self explanatory.  I kept expecting to receive and perform quests directly for Murmur throughout the game (since he is standing around staring into space in various hubs) but it never happened.

"Saying that nobody needs more then web apps is like saying noone needs a fridge because we can all drive to T.G.I. goddamn Friday's for chicken wings"

- Walt Mosspuppet (Mike Arrington is wrong: Chrome OS won't matter)
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 05:38:27 PM

It was obvious from the start (Murmur being evil), you can examine him and it says it the description : what is he really up to? (something like that).

Ragnoros
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 07:08:06 PM

It was obvious from the start (Murmur being evil), you can examine him and it says it the description : what is he really up to? (something like that).

Well I figured fairly shortly that he was not human. But I assumed he was at work for good not evil, being as he helped you along and all. Guess I was naive.

Anyway. In a nutshell.

Demons invade. Apparently they have invaded lots of other worlds. Where there is Light there must be Darkness. yada, yada.

Act1&2. Oh I'm in an alley. Zombies! Kill em! Hey a guy. What? Who cares. Lets kill more Zombies! Another guy. Dead. Take his shit. FORWARD!

OK people want me to do shit for them, mostly kill stuff, I'm down. Go to hellgate kill boss get thing, go to another, use thing, kill another boss. Oh look a portal. Truth eh? Man that was vague. Boring cinematic.

Act3. Kill more stuff, go more places. Find an oracle eh? Maybe he will be helpful. Nope. Just wants to kill us all. At least you know what the crap he is trying to tell you. Boring useless cinematic.

Act4. Filler crap. Some dude wants to go assault the hellgate, whats the big deal? I've been in dozens. Gotta save teh templar guys. Look some new chick. Another awesome cinematic.

Act5. So you guys had some sort of Emo Goku and never bothered to do anything useful with her? Genius. Anyway it's time to finish this shit up. Or apparently so says "Babbling Emo Goku Chick" and the useless Truths. Wouldn't know from talking to them. Getting back on track. Going to hell. Cue impressive cinematic and unimpressive generic alleyway for me to go through. Oh look a building and it has a/the hellgate inside, super. Wow another grey level. Hell is bland. Also hard. Getting my ass kicked. Yay Boss time. He kicks my ass too. YAY I WIN!?.... (at this point the game crashes with the final boss at 5% hp and I get to do the last hour all over again.) OK. I win for real this time. Oh, Hi Murmur. You don't look so good. Say what? The End.

Or as schild says. tl;dr.
I don't know either. It was crap.

Owls are an example of evolution showing off. -Shannow

BattleTag - Ray#1555
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 06:27:42 AM

It felt almost like the end of KotOR 2 where you get to the end and all of the story up to that point gets thrown out the window and replaced with some cobbled together crap.
Don't make me link that "KOTOR2 Let's Play" thread again (which shows the conclusion was subtly foreshadowed all the way through the entire game). Shaking fist

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 02:35:45 PM

Yeah, the story is total crap.  It's worst that no story at all.

A few plot holes :

- You finally get to kill the badass demon from the opening sequence in act 5 (Executioner) - They use the wrong mob type... he's a electric minion in game while he's clearly a reaper in the movie.  They HAVE the model, they simply didn't care.  I rarely saw such level of laziness.  It's like the X-wing defended the death star from Tiefighters in Return of the Jedi.  Yeah it was the complete opposite before but who care?

- The whole oracle/truth bullshit never go anywhere.  Seriously?  They didn't gave the humans a single power.

- The whole trials bullshit doesn't go anywhere.  It's suppose to open a sacred battlefield but you still need to go to the hellgate to kill the final boss (the hellgate was open form the start, what's the point?)  Also, the trials/truth/whatever are supposed to NOT be about killing stuff... Yet the portals open when you kill a boss and you have to kill demons in those trials.

- The ending is crap.  How about starting the Murmur cinematic once you enter the exit portal?  He trows you in a portal in the cinematic but you reappear at the exact same place to loot the final boss.  Stupid.

- The opening movie put a big emphasis on Jessica.  She's completely useless in the game.  She should be the goku-emo girl.  What where they thinking?  Nothing apparently.

- There's a cool promotional cutscene on the web, two templar fighting a big demon.  Why not incorporate it in the game?

It looks like the story guy left the in the middle of development and nobody had the time to put the pieces back together.  Or maybe there wasn't a story guy at all.

Edit : why do they use acts anyway? They are completely arbitrary : congratulation act 3!  YA.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 02:39:53 PM by Aez »
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Someone explain the story - spoilers so gtfo pussies  
Jump to: