Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Schild's WoW Gripe Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Schild's WoW Gripe Thread  (Read 45870 times)
toma levine
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: September 25, 2004, 12:25:42 PM

The big secret to the Bliz bittorrent client is to use something like NetLimiter to hard limit the upload speed so as not to completely saturate your bandwidth. I usually set mine at around 6k/sec so that I can do things like surf the web in the meantime; if I don't limit it, the client uses all 16k/sec of available upload bandwidth, which prevents ANY downloaded data from getting through.

Of course, doing this pretty much negates the advantages of bittorrent. Once everyone else figures this out, everybody will limit their upload speed way down and essentially everyone will be getting the majority of their data from Blizzard. Can't wait to see that train wreck when it finally hits.
schild
Administrator

Reply #71 on: September 25, 2004, 12:46:45 PM

Quote from: toma levine
The big secret to the Bliz bittorrent client is to use something like NetLimiter to hard limit the upload speed so as not to completely saturate your bandwidth.

Haha, thank you. Blizzard was pulling 100k up from me on a cable line limited at 40k. It was horrible.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #72 on: September 25, 2004, 01:14:38 PM

Of course, doing this pretty much negates the advantages of bittorrent. Once everyone else figures this out, everybody will limit their upload speed way down and essentially everyone will be getting the majority of their data from Blizzard. Can't wait to see that train wreck when it finally hits.

If they based it off the original BT code, that's not true. You need to at least upload 10K/s to get a decent download. Anything below that and you're shooting yourself in the foot. This  is for broadband cable at least. I usually cap mine at 50 and get 300-400 down.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #73 on: September 25, 2004, 03:50:24 PM

Everyone wants to run in windowed mode

Er, no.  I hate windowed mode when I'm playing any games. Browsing, editing documents, AutoCAD, sure I'll window those.  Gameplaying I prefer fullscreen. Everyone's different.  That said, I agree you should be able to switch between the two without editing config files. That's just asanine.

As for 'finished at release.'  No major MMO has done this yet.  WoW won't do it and EQ2 won't do it either. They'll both be buggy and incomplete at release.  Not having gotten into the EQ2 beta yet (The hell is up with that anyway, 5-year account you'd think I'd get an invite.) I can't judge what won't be don there.  WoW is scrambling to get all the leveling content and some raid content in for release.  They'll probably do the 'polish' stuff after the gold is out.  Graphics bugs, animations, etc are things I expect to see on the back burner until they've knocked out talents and at least tried for some better class balance. (Since PvP is what they're worrying about currently, at the expense of some PvE fun.  A handicap EQ2 doesn't have.)

WOW and EQ2 are racing each other to the shelves and trying to bet on when the other guy is actually releasing. That's probably why neither camp has made an official announcement, even though the major retailers have dates.  You don't tell someone like Wal*Mart "Oh, November 15th" reserve us some prime space, right in the middle of Christmas Shopping, and not expect them to fuck you in the ass on penalties if you say "Oh , sorry didn't make it, keep some space open later."

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: September 26, 2004, 05:13:42 AM

Quote from: NiX

If they based it off the original BT code, that's not true. You need to at least upload 10K/s to get a decent download. Anything below that and you're shooting yourself in the foot. This  is for broadband cable at least. I usually cap mine at 50 and get 300-400 down.

You are a true hero. Taking the above advice (throttle outgoing bandwidth extremely low) was the reason my BTs took ages. Doing what you suggested makes them zoom onto my hdd... no I just need some tool to make me invisible to RIAA (or our equivalent) on the rare occasions something copyrighted is on the way (US tv shows, that I'm not interested in waiting years to see - PM me links if you have good sources, I need more 4400, Deadwood and Lost)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
toma levine
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: September 26, 2004, 08:10:14 AM

Most people use something like Bittornado now that usually doesn't have the "must have 10k/sec upstream" contingencies to it, I haven't seemed to have too many problems with limiting it and still getting 50+ k/sec downstream. Then again my DSL is slow as shit so the rules may be different for those with actual decent connectivity.

Hanzii: You'll probably want to google up something like PeerGuardian.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #76 on: September 26, 2004, 10:17:44 AM

I'm thinking it might have to do with your connection. I've had some buddies set their upload to 0 and get 50-80 down. Which is decent if you want to surf in the meantime. As of right now my cable provider is farked and I can't use BT at all. (Download + Upload = Bai bai intarweb!)

Blizzard should just use a normal patcher. BT is not the way to go. Especially with the retardation that breeds on the B.Net forums. They barely understood why a monthly fee would have to be attached. Now they have to figure out BT? Not going to happen. Like someone else said, it's going to be a CS nightmare.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #77 on: September 27, 2004, 11:46:51 AM

Everyone wants to run in windowed mode. By the way, why isn't windowed mode default, and I had to edit command lines on my shortcut to get that?

This is the part where you stop speaking for everyone else, who don't necessarily want to run in windowed mode. I don't, never would, and would bitch if it were default.

As far as BT, I'm not too dense to figure it out and get it running properly...I just don't want to for a stupid mmorpg. And I shouldn't have to.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #78 on: September 27, 2004, 04:33:31 PM

Quote from: Sky
Everyone wants to run in windowed mode. By the way, why isn't windowed mode default, and I had to edit command lines on my shortcut to get that?

This is the part where you stop speaking for everyone else, who don't necessarily want to run in windowed mode. I don't, never would, and would bitch if it were default.

As far as BT, I'm not too dense to figure it out and get it running properly...I just don't want to for a stupid mmorpg. And I shouldn't have to.

I am, I think my router tells me lies.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #79 on: September 27, 2004, 04:37:23 PM

What's to figure out with BT?  Dunno if Blizzard's using some gimpy version of it, but all I had to do to get the normaly version to work was run the installer.  Then, if you click a BT link, it magically works.  Not any harder than any other download.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Lounge
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 27, 2004, 05:07:34 PM

Bit Torrent -
The trick to this is locating the .torrent file that ships with the installer and using a real client (i like azureus).  I was pulling down max of 50k a second through the blizz client and 320k+ through azureus.  I dont know where the pc client stores the .torrent file but for the mac you just right click the installer.app and go open package.

Wow -
I just got into beta with the last push and am thoroughly unimpressed.

Spell/Ability effects - suck
Quests - good system/rewards horrible quests
Graphics - meh
Grind - sucks
Interface - ok

Someone please make COH gameplay with eleventy billion times more content please.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #81 on: September 27, 2004, 05:19:48 PM

Quote from: Samwise
What's to figure out with BT?  Dunno if Blizzard's using some gimpy version of it, but all I had to do to get the normaly version to work was run the installer.  Then, if you click a BT link, it magically works.  Not any harder than any other download.

Unless you're behind a firewall or router with a firewall. In those instances you have to open ports or know how to forward the ports to the machine you want to patch.   If you've got MrHat's level of expertise you probably plugged in your router knowing you needed it, and are now wondering what's up that you can't get it working.

Or, if you're on a campus network, you're at the mercy of the campus sysadmin deciding if they want to open them up. Some guys might be cool about it, some will limit your ul/dl speeds and some might say, "BitTorrent? No, it's used for warez and we have a no-pirating policy here."

If you don't mind being 'wide open' on the net, yeah BT's pretty easy to get going.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #82 on: September 27, 2004, 05:26:58 PM

Good points.

As far as the original "what's there to figure out"...exactly. There is /something/ to figure out. I come home with my shiny new WoW box, install, and pop....nothing. Can't patch, need new 3rd party app, need to open up ports on my firewall...err..isn't EQ2 coming out about the same time? Sure, I know how to make it work, but why bother? The game is not that superior to all the other new offerings, I'd play Ryzom before I'd dick around with BT for WoW.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: September 27, 2004, 05:45:12 PM

Quote from: Merusk
Quote from: Samwise

Unless you're behind a firewall or router with a firewall. In those instances you have to open ports or know how to forward the ports to the machine you want to patch.   If you've got MrHat's level of expertise you probably plugged in your router knowing you needed it, and are now wondering what's up that you can't get it working.

Or, if you're on a campus network, you're at the mercy of the campus sysadmin deciding if they want to open them up. Some guys might be cool about it, some will limit your ul/dl speeds and some might say, "BitTorrent? No, it's used for warez and we have a no-pirating policy here."

If you don't mind being 'wide open' on the net, yeah BT's pretty easy to get going.

Actually, after 2 weeks of trouble shooting and communicating w/ Netgear, I've determined that my RB814v2 wireless router is a fucking liar.  Says my ports are forwarded, but they're not.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: September 27, 2004, 05:51:03 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
Quote from: Ardent
Quote from: Margalis
Is there any MMORPG where you get a new skill every level?

You acquire new skills in WoW far faster than you do in CoH or EQ2, so I don't know what these people are whining about.

Your statement on EQ2 is false.  If you are going to break NDA at least don't lie about it.  In fact EQ2 fits the bill and more to Margalis' original question.

I have trouble believing this is true.  Power players can max out WoW characters in well under a month of real time.  I am not in the EQII beta, but from what I have heard from various awful websites that will burn in the fires of hell for violating the NDA the same is not true of EQ2.

Not that I think this is necessarily a bad thing.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #85 on: September 27, 2004, 07:12:06 PM

Quote from: MrHat
Actually, after 2 weeks of trouble shooting and communicating w/ Netgear, I've determined that my RB814v2 wireless router is a fucking liar.  Says my ports are forwarded, but they're not.

I didn't mean to knock on your level of commitment or knowledge. You were just a convenient example.

Still, 2 weeks!  After 2-3 hours I can see Joe Average Computer User saying "Fuck this shit, I want my cash back!"

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: September 27, 2004, 07:32:55 PM

Quote from: Merusk
Quote from: MrHat

I didn't mean to knock on your level of commitment or knowledge. You were just a convenient example.

Still, 2 weeks!  After 2-3 hours I can see Joe Average Computer User saying "Fuck this shit, I want my cash back!"

I have nothing better to do with my time.  (in between jobs)

Edit: Just traded my Balt Defense for a beta key.  Heheh.  Downloading on Torrent at about 150kbps but it's all from Local users.  Schild, you playing on the PvP server? what's your name(s)?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #87 on: September 27, 2004, 11:40:03 PM

If you need people to play with, you can check out my guild. I offered the invite to Schild also.

We are Horde/PVP.

www.dreadguard.com

Or you can look for me in game as Morvant.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: September 27, 2004, 11:41:49 PM

OK, was playing a Pally, but I'll switch to an Orc Shaman named "Skrank"
schild
Administrator

Reply #89 on: September 27, 2004, 11:53:12 PM

Though I'll probably join for the beta - there's nothing more ridiculous than a guild with a site dedicated to one game, a purchased domain name, and php-nuke as whip cream on top.

What happens if Blizzard ruins your utopia? Do you all turn it into a 'I hate WoW' site?

Morph, you've read this, right?

The only response to that charter is: Psycho.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #90 on: September 28, 2004, 12:23:40 AM

Requirements to be Guilded

1. You must speak with one of the Unit leaders (Dread Knight) to make sure if your calling is to become a Dread Guard.

2. Your maturity level must be that of an adult.

3. Next, you must visit www.dreadguard.com and read our guild charter and swear by your soul to follow them accordingly.

4. After reading and understanding our ways you will travel with other members in the game so that you can better understand our ways and they can evaluate you. This process may take from one to two weeks it will not be an easy task after this time period you will be put to a PVP test. The pvp test is the final test. After this, members will report your progress to the High Council and you will be notified if you have been accepted.

Uhh.... I think I only qualify on #3. Oh wait, I have to swear by my soul. Ok, I fail on them all.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: September 28, 2004, 04:07:50 AM

Quote from: schild

Its RP.  It may or may not filter into the actual game, but any attempt to tell a guild backstory is laudable.  Especially on a PvP server.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: September 28, 2004, 05:07:19 AM

Quote from: Morphiend
If you need people to play with, you can check out my guild. I offered the invite to Schild also.

We are Horde/PVP.

www.dreadguard.com

Please make the web site text LARGER... for the old folks. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: September 28, 2004, 09:13:41 AM

Quote from: Morphiend

We are Horde/PVP.

www.dreadguard.com

Cool.  I've got a 23 Rogue on Beta Server 2, but I've been intending to try out the PVP system and roll a horde character.  I take it you don't mind having lowbies in the guild.  When I log on again later this afternoon, I'll try and hook up with someone in the guild.

Schild, you should roll one also.  GOGO ZERG RUSH!! PK BNET KIDDY LA~ ^_^

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: September 28, 2004, 09:39:59 AM

Quote from: El Gallo
Quote from: Alluvian
Quote from: Ardent
Quote from: Margalis
Is there any MMORPG where you get a new skill every level?

You acquire new skills in WoW far faster than you do in CoH or EQ2, so I don't know what these people are whining about.

Your statement on EQ2 is false.  If you are going to break NDA at least don't lie about it.  In fact EQ2 fits the bill and more to Margalis' original question.

I have trouble believing this is true.  Power players can max out WoW characters in well under a month of real time.  I am not in the EQII beta, but from what I have heard from various awful websites that will burn in the fires of hell for violating the NDA the same is not true of EQ2.

Not that I think this is necessarily a bad thing.

Her question was relating to content per level not unit of time.  I was replying to her original question.  That of skills every level.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #95 on: September 28, 2004, 10:22:24 AM

Quote from: schild
Morph, you've read this, right?

Yeah, I read it, I helped write it. Whats wrong with it? This is planning on being a successful PVP guild, we need structure and a clear plan. Do we have to abide 100% to the letter of the law or the charter? no, but it is a great guide line on how to run a successful guild.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: September 28, 2004, 11:22:26 AM

Quote from: Soukyan

User-friendly browsers let you specify a minimum font size (e.g. 10 pixels). In version 7.54 go to Tools, Preferences, click "Font" and enter the size you want. Or you can set a default scaling (Tools, Preferences, Page style, Default zoom) to rescale everything instead.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: September 28, 2004, 11:58:27 AM

To all the people complaining about Bit Torrent uploads:

You can find a BT client (and no, I'm not going to tell you where) that allows you to completely screw all your fellow downloaders and not upload at all.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: September 28, 2004, 12:07:59 PM

Quote from: AOFanboi

User-friendly browsers let you specify a minimum font size (e.g. 10 pixels). In version 7.54 go to Tools, Preferences, click "Font" and enter the size you want. Or you can set a default scaling (Tools, Preferences, Page style, Default zoom) to rescale everything instead.

I should not have to do that on my end. At 100% zoom, text should be readable. But PHPNuke was always like that anyhow. They seem to think the smaller the text, the more L33t the programmer.

And I use Opera. Web sites need to start learning to be user friendly. ;)

Thanks for the tip on the minimum font size. I did not realize that was there.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #99 on: September 28, 2004, 12:12:43 PM

Web sites need to start learning to be user friendly. ;)

You'd think that in the last decade web designers would've figured that out...
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: September 29, 2004, 01:18:51 AM

Quote from: Shockeye

I think there are still web DUH-signers out there that live by Jacob Nielsen's early statements about design, and haven't noticed he's changed his mind and written that he was wrong.

Returning to WoW for a moment, Amazon.uk has it with a (European) release date of Feb 25 2005 - but my preorder still lists Oct 17 as shipping date. Them folx are weird.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: September 29, 2004, 06:11:24 AM

I have a long standing bet with a case a beer at stake that WoW won't hit retail until 2005.  So maybe the Europeans are just as astute as I am :)

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #102 on: September 29, 2004, 07:43:52 AM

Quote from: Shockeye
Web sites need to start learning to be user friendly. ;)

Web designers are still waiting on the browsers to start actually implementing a stable program that is compliant with the W3C's standards that 92% of the people will use. So, we're waiting on Microsoft.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #103 on: September 29, 2004, 07:56:34 AM

Quote from: jpark
I have a long standing bet with a case a beer at stake that WoW won't hit retail until 2005.  So maybe the Europeans are just as astute as I am :)

The European date was announced as being "a few months after" the initial release, instead of the concurrent releases that had been previously announced.  Amazon.uk is probably just tacking 3 months onto the current rumored Nov 15th US date.

jwinston2
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: September 29, 2004, 04:50:02 PM

Thought some of you may like to know this: This is a question on the dreaded blizz forum with an answer from blizz.

Q.  Is there going to be an in-game patcher similar to that of EQ or are all patches going to be distributed over the blizzard downloader once retail hits? I myself fall into the college firewall problem and I was just curious as if there will ever be an alternative.

A.  I have stated elsewhere, but will repeat that we plan on having alternatives for those of you who have issues with our current method. - Caydiem -
Assistant Community Manager, WoW

One of the things Ford Prefect had always found hardest to understand about humans was their habit of continuously stating and repeating the very very obvious, as in It's a nice day, or You're very tall, or Oh dear you seem to have fallen down a thirty-foot well, are you all right?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Schild's WoW Gripe Thread  
Jump to: